BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, alcd said:

You can Alan Gulliver to that sorry list of misfiring strikers.He cost £30k similar to the fee received for Byron but £18k was refunded when it was found Huddersfield had concealed a serious back injury. 

How I remember it was we sold Byrom to part fund the purchase of Gilliver. I saw Gilliver playing for Huddersfield the season before we signed him and before he did his disc. He was going to be a top player. The back injury really handicapped him, especially after he had the operation. I had a similar disc problem and within an hour of playing I would be stiff as a board and walking like an old man. I'd just get pain free in time to do it all over again the following week.

4 hours ago, neophox said:

Why not check on Brentfords striker Marcus Forss, scored 11 goals in 18 games recently in League one but has returned to Brentford, contract expiry in summer.

Very highly rated this lad, was going to post his name but didn't want 'the usual suspect' either badgering me on strengths and weaknesses or telling me we can't afford his wages.

Or that he'd already recommended him in 2006.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

I went to hudds with my wife and part way through the game she said. Why do we keep doing the same thing passing to them in front of our own goal

I took a girlfriend to watch Rochdale at Spotland many years ago. After the usual pre match kick about and shooting in practice that they did then they kicked off.  They'd been playing about 15 minutes when she turned to me and said - " Have they started yet ? "

• Like 1

And, going for the hat trick . . . ,

About 15 years ago, I was at St. James' Park with a friend who worked in the same line in Newcastle as me for a Newcastle/Rovers game. My pal had managed to get 3 tickets for the game so his wife came with us to watch her first game of Premier League football.

I managed not to laugh out loud when she asked him with about 50 minutes on the clock why the teams weren't kicking the same way as they had been in the first half!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Bell was playing on the left wing at Fleetwood, with his performances there getting him in the team of the year.

Mowbray has consistently played him out of position at LB. Similar theme here...

I’ve always thought Bell looked like a winger playing at full back. That would explain it. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

And another one...

My Dad took me to my first professional match as a 5-year-old (Brighton v PNE)

After about 20 minutes I asked in a loud voice: "Are they playing football or rugby?"

At my first game, the ball had gone in the net twice and I asked loudly 'Why aren't WE cheering daddy?'

Think it's the closest I got to being put up for adoption.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The ex player is judge btw

I liked Judge, he reminded me of Johnny Price. I thought he never got a real chance at Rovers. He was heading for a big move when he broke his leg at Brentford. It was a bad break and I don't think he's ever got back to where he was. I'd have had him back before the injury but not now. That ship has sailed. If we keep signing 3rd division players we'll get 3rd division football.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked Judge, he reminded me of Johnny Price. I thought he never got a real chance at Rovers. He was heading for a big move when he broke his leg at Brentford. It was a bad break and I don't think he's ever got back to where he was. I'd have had him back before the injury but not now. That ship has sailed. If we keep signing 3rd division players we'll get 3rd division football.

Agreed , but don’t think there is much in it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If we are talking Rhodes in his last spell, he was absolutely brilliant here, nothing less. Ultimately all of these other smaller things, hold up, creativity, they are all geared to try and eventually get goals. Rhodes made up any deficincies there by actually scoring that additional amount of goals himself. I find it incredible that goalscoring has seemingly become an underappreciated part of a strikers armoury. Having pace, strength, flair, whatever are usually tools that are used to get the player the end product of goals, but having the brain to sniff out opportunities and the composure to then take them trumps them all. That level of consistently superb goal output meant quite rightly that his place was guaranteed.

Whether he could still score at that rate is a different question.

The 10 players to score 100 goals for Rovers, in alphabetical order, are: Tommy Briggs (143), Jack Bruton (115), Peter Dobing (104), Bryan Douglas (115), Simon Garner (192), Ted Harper (122), Eddie Latheron (104), Andy McEvoy (103), Alan Shearer (130) and Jack Southworth (121)

Jordan Rhodes hit 84 goals in 3 and half seasons at Rovers, which has him 13th in the clubs all time records,

Yes he had his critics, but did exactly what he was bought for.

he has suffered since leaving by lack of game time, but if he came back, im sure he would be a 20 goal man again. It was only a few weeks back he hit a hat trick in a rare start for Sheff Wed

• Like 9

If Tony says we'll have to rely on youth then bring it on. Time to see JRC, Lyons, Mols, Vale and the rest in the first team. Pity some of them have long term injuries.

But I won't hold my breath.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

What an amazing scouting system Brentford have. 

If only.... 

Well that is what we are trying to get to be investing in proper scouting system. it isn't something that can be set up very easily or quickly but we need to get it right and working right. Certain manager got rid of the scouting system we had under Hughes and Allardyce. 

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The ex player is judge btw

Good player on his day. Never really get a chance under Bowyer here. He was set for a move to Newcastle from Brentford before getting injured. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-could-turn-youth-17581331

This is a depressing article, a suggestion that money is incredibly scarce, that we are miles off signing anyone, and that we may have to resort solely to the youth players.

The whole season just seems to have no promise or excitement to it already. The recruitment to date has been really poor, and that in turn seems to have emptied the kitty meaning that improving the squad seems an impossible job. 

Throw in the unlucky triple blow of 3 season ending injuries to first team players, one our primary goalscorer, and it seems destined to fizzle out. Stagnation at its finest under Mowbray.

why is the depressing article about the possible of playing more of academy players like Rankin Costello and Buckley instead of bringing in PL youngsters like we did with Palmer who wasn't good enough or what we needed? 

Mowbray is right not to be overpaying for players who aren't worth what clubs want fee wise like Marcus Maddison who is out of contract in the summer but they want 2.5 million 

They must be money for players so we can be putting bids, we aren't going to putting bids in for players if we have no money are we? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bazza said:

If Tony says we'll have to rely on youth then bring it on. Time to see JRC, Lyons, Mols, Vale and the rest in the first team. Pity some of them have long term injuries.

But I won't hold my breath.

Pity we’ve not got any goal getters in the youth set up right now as we badly need one. 

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think that we have long since established that Mowbray has no issue with over paying for players.

I think we have all debated to death the Brereton and Gallagher transfers. I'm bored of talking about it. 

my point was players out of contract and paying 2.5 million is wrong IMO

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe has said we’re not remotely close to any incomings. Shut the thread chaps - we’re on for the usual January. 

why shut the thread? Plenty of people are debating links and potential players we should target

Most of Championship clubs are struggling to made the signings they want! Just like every January window where most of signings will be done in the last week like always. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that is what we are trying to get to be investing in proper scouting system. it isn't something that can be set up very easily or quickly but we need to get it right and working right. Certain manager got rid of the scouting system we had under Hughes and Allardyce. 

We seemed to do fine under Bowyer. Granted mostly domestic transfers but we brought in a lot of good players during that period, just didn't have the manager to get the best out of them. Mowbray has been here just under three years now, which is plenty of time to get a decent European scouting network up and running. With that said it shouldn't be up to the manager anyway, it's the type of thing that should be sorted out far higher up the chain. If Mowbray does leave and the next manager decides European scouting isn't important, do all these plans go into the bin? It's such an inefficient way to run things. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

why shut the thread? Plenty of people are debating links and potential players we should target

The thread won't be shut, although I don't think Gavlar was literally saying we should lock it tbf, just noting we might as well for all the activity that's likely to occur between now and the end of the month. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why is the depressing article about the possible of playing more of academy players like Rankin Costello and Buckley instead of bringing in PL youngsters like we did with Palmer who wasn't good enough or what we needed? 

Mowbray is right not to be overpaying for players who aren't worth what clubs want fee wise like Marcus Maddison who is out of contract in the summer but they want 2.5 million 

They must be money for players so we can be putting bids, we aren't going to putting bids in for players if we have no money are we? 

Rovers have money to spend on players ....... all is good

Rovers have no money to spend on players .....all is good.

No criticism of Rovers allowed on here.

Un-chuffing-believable

• Like 3