GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

17 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

You guys are very pessimistic. Much as it has been devastating losing Dack and Evans, we have some top notch young players coming through that may now get a chance. Also Bell looks good when Tosin, Lenihan and Nyambe are playing. 

I wonder have we turned our attention to the young Polish GK as Fisher and Hilton are coming along well. And one will be number 2 Gk next year, if not better. 

My biggest concern is CB if Tosin or Lenihan are injured. 

Also, hopefully next year we are in the Premier league and can sign Tosin outright. 

You mention the top notch youngsters but we dont know how many if any will break through and be regular players for where we want to go. Buckley has had the most chances and hasnt shown anything to suggest that he will be able to seriously contribute any time in the near future. Rankin Costello did well in his first cameo and should be around the first team going forward but again it could go either way. Butterworth seems to be forever injured. The youngsters should be used to supplement the squad and of course need opportunities which they should get (for example JRC and Chapman should be above Gallagher in terms of playing wide) but we cant realistically expect a clutch of them to suddenly come through and be good enough to get us into the top 6.

Bell is nowhere near good enough, and has proved over an extensive period.

The squad requires plenty signings in a few key areas before it has a genuine chance of finishing in the top 6.

2 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Bid on a Polish teenage keeper from Genoa, not sure if I believe it but the guy seems to be semi-reliable 

Another Sandomierski?

29 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Now that's not strictly true, I believe Mowbs is putting all of his, and the clubs resources into making multiple clones of Elliott Bennett as we speak. 

I'm more worried that excluded "some" of Sam Harts wages, nothing and no one else has left, and we've also regained £15k+ on Mulgrew a week.

Are other clubs really going to get to deadline day and think... "oh shit, we need to go get (Richie Smallwood, Dominic Samuel, Ben Brereton)!" 

Emrace what is (not) to come (or leave) the next 6 months....

Not true that no one has left. Cunningham has gone back. He and Mulgrew probably cancel out each other's wage contributions.

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Another Sandomierski?

He wasn't bad tbh. Looked aight in his few appearances.

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

You could argue we'd need two left backs as I don't think Del or Bell are up to it as back-up for a club with serious promotion ambitions, and we're also weak at RB as Bennett is really not good enough even as second choice and even though Nyambe has improved a lot he seems to be fairly injury prone. We also have Dack out for at least the first six months of next season with as of yet unproven replacements within the squad for his position, although if we change our regular formation that may not be a pressing concern.

There's a lot to do so yes you would have expected us to try and get a jump start on the summer with at least a couple of permanent additions this month. It may still happen but the clock is ticking. I'm not sure one permanent and one loan does a whole lot to prepare us for the summer, unless the loan is a genuine first team challenger with the option to buy at the end of the season.

Twelve months ago, we were perfectly poised to have a proper shot at the playoffs. We didn't invest either sensibly or appropriately and pedictably went on one of our trademark dogshit runs. Fast forward 12months, Groundhog Day again - but even worse because we've had one win in seven and can hardly invest without repercussions of FFP sanctions - due to a certain person (who has a thread) tying ourselves in knots with utterly terrible recruitment.

We knew back then the basics of what the squad needed - it didn't materialize.  We know what is still needed - it absolutely won't materialize again.  I call it massive failure - neglectful in fact. Some package it up as consolidation and other cliches like  keeping powder dry etc. and are already writing off the season in the make-believe scenario that we will somehow do basic things right, with money we can't spend and have a better shot next season (When three teams who know how to get out of this league , come down with even bigger budgets than the last time they we'd us how it was done).  Make no mistake, we will be wasteful again and spend something for the sake of spending, probably on someone who won't be "Up to speed" for a month.  At best, we'll get a Jack of all trades, master of none individual (midfielder no doubt) who will do half a job somewhere because he's quiet and easy to manage. We will get  the inevitable interview saying our derisory offers for experienced players were laughed off (not with such honesty of course) and how we tried with a number of deals that couldn't get over the line because teams don't want to lose good players when they are in with a chance of promotion...or fighting relegation...or wanting stability...or *insert pathetic excuse here *

Oh to simply have a plan and the bollocks to go for it.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wrong thread , folk come here for transfer news, please use the correct thread 

That’s for the mods to decide, but nobody likes a grass, so sadly, you’ve failed your audition.

Edited by K-Hod

Would someone mind recapping the recent rumors/links in this thread (last 30 pages or so)?

I've got:

- Polish winger

- Polish U18 keeper

- Croatian central defender

Anyone else new?

3 minutes ago, LA Rover said:

Would someone mind recapping the recent rumors/links in this thread (last 30 pages or so)?

I've got:

- Polish winger

- Polish U18 keeper

- Croatian central defender

Anyone else new?

Midfielder from Doncaster, left back from Gillingham, striker from Sporting??? Maddison and Curtis.

Oh and Mulgrew is back!!!!

Edited by Wegerleswiggle

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You mention the top notch youngsters but we dont know how many if any will break through and be regular players for where we want to go. Buckley has had the most chances and hasnt shown anything to suggest that he will be able to seriously contribute any time in the near future. Rankin Costello did well in his first cameo and should be around the first team going forward but again it could go either way. Butterworth seems to be forever injured. The youngsters should be used to supplement the squad and of course need opportunities which they should get (for example JRC and Chapman should be above Gallagher in terms of playing wide) but we cant realistically expect a clutch of them to suddenly come through and be good enough to get us into the top 6.

Bell is nowhere near good enough, and has proved over an extensive period.

The squad requires plenty signings in a few key areas before it has a genuine chance of finishing in the top 6.

Rankin Costello impressed me massively when he played in the league cup earlier in the season. He always looked the most suited for a step up imo. But the two young keepers, Butterworth, Lyons, Mols, Buckley, Evans and Vale are all very exciting. And we have some excellent young defenders too. I am positive 2 or 3 should get a chance this year. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

That’s for the mods to decide, but nobody likes a grass, so sadly, you’ve failed your audition.

Liked you too but frankly disappointed by this, as a result I won’t be sharing info I get from inside. Was absolutely no need for this comment when I was trying to do mods a favour

12 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Liked you too but frankly disappointed by this, as a result I won’t be sharing info I get from inside. Was absolutely no need for this comment when I was trying to do mods a favour

I was surprised by the post too, and almost commented on it. K-Hod is usually very even-handed and low in snide, I'm not sure where that came from. I don't see an issue with asking for the topic to go back on...well, topic. As long as you're not being a massive ass about it, which I didn't believe you were.

That said, no need to withhold information from the rest of us because one mod got a little short with you. I get why you're annoyed but the truly mature thing to do would be to retract that part of your post.

The last time we were this close to signing a young polish sensation, the guy we nearly signed turned out to be one of the best players in the world. 

Go and get that Jozwiak guy!

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Wow...you need to ban yourself mate! 🤣🤣

Feels like 68th January to me....just get to the end already!! 

Edited by Paul Mani

8 hours ago, DE. said:

You could argue we'd need two left backs as I don't think Del or Bell are up to it as back-up for a club with serious promotion ambitions, and we're also weak at RB as Bennett is really not good enough even as second choice and even though Nyambe has improved a lot he seems to be fairly injury prone. We also have Dack out for at least the first six months of next season with as of yet unproven replacements within the squad for his position, although if we change our regular formation that may not be a pressing concern.

There's a lot to do so yes you would have expected us to try and get a jump start on the summer with at least a couple of permanent additions this month. It may still happen but the clock is ticking. I'm not sure one permanent and one loan does a whole lot to prepare us for the summer, unless the loan is a genuine first team challenger with the option to buy at the end of the season.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that and would add in a second keeper and another striker if Bereton goes on loan. 

My main thrust was that these are 6 players who have to be replaced regardless of ability levels, as they are either a) not here or b) might as well not be as they physically cannot do what is required to do that role. Forget improvements needed (of which there are a lot) the first problem is we have half a dozen places where by absence or physical limitations the players can't do what is needed.

Don't get me wrong Bell is useless but he is physically able to actually play left back. An exceptional manager may even get him to be ok (although that's a stretch and warrants the manager of the year award.) However contrast this with physical limitations and the manager can't get a player's legs back. 

So before we do any improvements imo there are six enforced changes on us...

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Liked you too but frankly disappointed by this, as a result I won’t be sharing info I get from inside. 

How precious are you, bloody hell :lol:

6 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Arsenal reject £5million plus add-ons from Brentford for Balogun https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7921785/Arsenal-reject-5million-plus-add-ons-Brentford-Folarin-Balogun.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

I wish we had the Brentford scouts.... He's bound to be quality

Apparently we now want to follow the Brentford model, just need some with the brains to do it.

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

So this seems to have escalated quickly!
I had no intention of upsetting anyone and was merely trying to have a joke! 
Any inside information we receive on here is always warmly appreciated and always will be!

Apologies if I’ve upset you, but that really wasn’t what I was aiming to do!

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I can't remember a single transfer thread in all my time on the forum where someone didn't show up with a week or more to go and prematurely declare that we should 'lock the transfer thread' (rather than just staying out of it if they're not interested).

I share your frustration Joe, I really do. And I still don't have faith in Mowbray. But I reckon there will still be one or two incomings, whether underwhelming, overwhelming or simply whelming. Along with a whole bunch of hard luck stories about what we 'tried' to do.

It was just humour, I didn't actually mean that... it's called sarcasm. It's a very British, Northern thing.

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

But whoever is going to be able to tell us we're buying no one now?