GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Buckley scored the Winner against Sheff W, he's done more than some other players in the squad...

Rankin-Costello I Believe will be a massive asset for years to come. Came through at Man U. Buckley is a Blackburn boy and been at the club since he was 6 years old. Loves the club and has alot of potential but needs to gain more weigh.

We need to sign somebody and quick - for the sake of this thread if nothing else. 

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Liked you too but frankly disappointed by this, as a result I won’t be sharing info I get from inside. Was absolutely no need for this comment when I was trying to do mods a favour

Appreciate the sentiment but the best thing to do if you feel a thread is veering wildly off-topic is to either hit the report button to alert us, or send one of the mods a PM. We can then either move the posts to a more relevant thread or advise posters to continue the conversation elsewhere. 

47 minutes ago, neophox said:

Buckley is a Blackburn boy and been at the club since he was 6 years old. Loves the club and has alot of potential but needs to gain more weigh.

He's from Farnworth and supports Notlob.

From the limited views I've had of our younger players, JRC and Butterworth look physically capable of stepping up straight away.  

Buckley's frame shouldn't  be an issue long term, as many 'slight' technical players excel - like Coutinho. 

However, I do feel he'd benefit massively from 6 months playing regularly in league one.  Get used to the physicality and learn how to win free kicks  instead of being eased off the ball by a stronger player.  He's clearly got the technical side, needs to learn the dark arts...

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

But whoever is going to be able to tell us we're buying no one now? 

Just what I was about to say. Maybe he could tell us who we won't be buying ?

4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Interesting stuff although i'm not keen on the 'everyone involved' in the signings i think there's been plenty of that here !

Can see a lot of sense in what they are doing down there though but just like the first team tactics Rovers has to decide which way it's going to go and stick to it. Burnley/Sheff U .. then get a group together like that and pragmatically physically fight your way up.

Watford/Brentford -- Have a football style and stick to it, let somebody who knows what they are doing operate the recruitment and have a good head coach who can work that way.

We are constantly caught in the middle it seems when really what they should be doing here is having their own Blackburn Rovers by Skill and hard Work identity. Using all the means they have to invest in players/youth to build a team for promotion.

Mowbray himself has said that in the past and some ways we are on the road so why change. Promotion challenge first with the funds given and all this investment model, production line stuff second. Why oh why hold it back in the slightest....

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He’s a united fan as mentioned in his episode of football origins 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

It was just humour, I didn't actually mean that... it's called sarcasm. It's a very British, Northern thing.

Please, tell me more about being British and Northern.

10 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Rankin Costello impressed me massively when he played in the league cup earlier in the season. He always looked the most suited for a step up imo. But the two young keepers, Butterworth, Lyons, Mols, Buckley, Evans and Vale are all very exciting. And we have some excellent young defenders too. I am positive 2 or 3 should get a chance this year. 

I dont doubt that we need to give them chances from time to time, as I said I would play Rankin Costello for example every day over sticking Gallagher out wide. But it is not prudent to expect a whole batch of young players to all come through and become first teamers together, there are plenty of "promising" youth groups in the past that havent really amounted to much so its a case of wait and see. You have to give them encouragement and chances but if the plan is that this time in a year the side will be full of young players and we carry on with our top 6 push as normal then that would be a very naive prediction.

The main 2 that get mentions are Rankin Costello and Buckley it seems, and the former has only made one sub League appearance (and made a promising start) and the latter looks absolutely miles off being able to play a part at this level and needs to go down the leagues. If any youth players come through it is a massive bonus and money saved, but history suggests that most of your list wont make it here.

41 minutes ago, Josh said:

He’s a united fan as mentioned in his episode of football origins 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm sure I read he was from Failsworth.

John Buckley could've been born in Burnley for all I care, the bit that truly matters is that he isn't ready for our first team yet. Joseph Scott Rankin-Costello is.

17 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Have we had anyone since Dunny that's been a boyhood Rovers fan?

Matt Derbyshire

Paul Gallagher

Phil Jones

Edited by Mike E

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Makes Mahoneys decision to jump ship rather than play in League 1 even more bizzare 

Not really, Mowbray probably wouldn't have started him until Christmas, and I'm guessing he got a pretty good offer to go and further his development at a well respected top flight club, for a lot more money too.

No brainer for the lad.

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Matt Derbyshire

Paul Gallagher

Phil Jones

Was just about to post these two, I always like the early cup games from that period having two Rovers fans up front seemed pretty special to me.

Remember away at Everton in the FA Cup in 2007 they played up top together, ran them ragged, both scored and we were 3-0 up at half time.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

JRC has a Burnley tattoo - we can all get over things.