BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well that's hypothetical. In reality not only did he join Newcastle over a club who offered more money and more opportunities to win trophies because he supported them, he also stayed with them long-term. No doubt he had opportunities to leave. 

I was wondering last week, how different the history of 90s football (or at least Rovers) might have looked if Shearer was a Rovers fan...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

At that time in 1996, there was no evidence that he would have gotten more money at Man Utd, or that he would have won more trophies.

Newcastle had just finished 2nd in the top flight, smashed the world record transfer fee to get him (i'm sure his wage was pretty good too) and looked like they could go on for a spell as a top side in the country winning trophies, obviously the latter didn't happen.

As Skip said, you can't compare all the names mentioned to Mahoney as they were all multi millionaires playing for one of the top sides in the country, find me an example of somebody in league one who turned down top flight offers because he was at the club he supported?

He said himself he was offered more money by United. United came 2nd in 94/95 , Newcastle came 6th. In 95/96 before he signed United had won the league. So I think it would have been safe enough to assume United would win more. They were clearly the bigger club. He chose Newcastle because he supported them. 

Your initial post said the following

"Supporting a club goes out of the window when you become a pro unfortunately, I don't see how some can't grasp that." 

I have given you a number of concrete examples of that not always being the case. 

You are now asking me for an example of someone in League 1 turning down top flight offers. It's a separate question. 

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Gerrard, Carragher, G. Neville, Dunn.

Although if anything that just proves your point re: what rare cases they are.

I love Dunn but I don't think he qualifies. He left the club once. When he came back it was only Bolton we beat to his signature wasn't it? And then I can't remember us having to fend off interest from bigger clubs.

Great servant but I don't think he can really be used in this argument.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He wasn’t the same player post his 1998 injury so I don’t think the elite clubs were ever interested again, so no surprise he stayed.

Newcastle were a top side in 1996. In a pre oil, even pre-Wenger (Post Rovers :() era they were seen as part of the elite for the foreseeable and they paid massive wages, so who said he’s be offered more cash at United? 

So why wouldn’t he have moved there, considering he was a fan too? Win, win.

Let’s not pretend he was blindly following his heart over his head and slumming it. He went there to win.

I remember him being linked to Juve and AC Milan whilst at Newcastle.  I agree he wasn't the same player. 

He chose Newcastle over United because he supported them. He stuck with them, too his detriment, for the same reason. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I remember him being linked to Juve and AC Milan whilst at Newcastle.  I agree he wasn't the same player. 

He chose Newcastle over United because he supported them. He stuck with them, too his detriment, for the same reason. 

Of course that’s why he went there, the only point I’m making is, is that it was easier to go to the top PL club that 1996 Newcastle were than the 2020 yo-yo club incarnation. He was 26, at his peak and had just won the Golden Boot at Euro 96. Newcastle fan, yes but ambitious too, he wasn’t going to go to a struggling side.

Not sure what the issue is with that viewpoint?

*They came 3rd in 94/95 by the way. 2nd in 95/96 and were the biggest spenders that summer.

Edited by Mattyblue

I think Shearer is a fair example to be honest. Despite Newcastle being 'up there' at that time, United were clearly the bigger and more successful and glamorous club. Another example would be Matt Le Tissier - on the assumption that big clubs did in fact inquire about him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Are those villages to the west (Brinscall, Wheelton, Abbey Village, Withnell) mainly Rovers?

They should be, of course. But doesn’t always work out that way. 

I believe they are similar to Royston Vasey

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course that’s why he went there, the only point I’m making is, is that it was easier to go to the top PL club that 1996 Newcastle were than the 2020 yo-yo club incarnation. 

Not sure what the issue is with that viewpoint?

*They came 3rd in 94/95 by the way. 2nd in 95/96 and were the biggest spenders that summer.

Not according to this

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enIE880IE880&sxsrf=ACYBGNQxbzXeP9xlRd0F4mJskXRO-TBnnw%3A1579876810891&ei=ygErXuH1NdiI1fAP5euK8Ak&q=94%2F95+premier+table&oq=94%2F95+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i20i263l2j0l7.1019.1019..1544...0.0..0.49.114.3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i7i30.uTUqk6Mi-yU#sie=lg;/m/04nt6l;2;/m/02_tc;st;fp;1;;

There is no issue, the discussion started with the original poster when he said that when a player turns pro, loyalty to the club they support goes out the window. I think I have given a concrete example, of a player we all know well, which shows that's not always the case. 

Not going to pretend to be his best mate, but I know of Mahoney’s brother through friends. Both are Rovers fans. Connor is probably less so than his brother, but a friend of mine who does know them both well, said he left for the opportunity. The money helps, but Christ, nobody sane would’ve turned that down at the time.

Could he have asked for a straight loan back (a la Jack Clarke to Leeds)? Maybe. But he is a Rovers fan, and didn’t just abandon the club.

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not according to this

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enIE880IE880&sxsrf=ACYBGNQxbzXeP9xlRd0F4mJskXRO-TBnnw%3A1579876810891&ei=ygErXuH1NdiI1fAP5euK8Ak&q=94%2F95+premier+table&oq=94%2F95+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39j0i20i263l2j0l7.1019.1019..1544...0.0..0.49.114.3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i7i30.uTUqk6Mi-yU#sie=lg;/m/04nt6l;2;/m/02_tc;st;fp;1;;

There is no issue, the discussion started with the original poster when he said that when a player turns pro, loyalty to the club they support goes out the window. I think I have given a concrete example, of a player we all know well, which shows that's not always the case. 

They mostly have no loyalty/affinity to the club they support once pro, should have been the post (would’ve saved us all some time).

Sorry 93/94 they came 3rd.

• Like 2

Just now, CheshireRover said:

Not going to pretend to be his best mate, but I know of Mahoney’s brother through friends. Both are Rovers fans. Connor is probably less so than his brother, but a friend of mine who does know them both well, said he left for the opportunity. The money helps, but Christ, nobody sane would’ve turned that down at the time.

Could he have asked for a straight loan back (a la Jack Clarke to Leeds)? Maybe. But he is a Rovers fan, and didn’t just abandon the club.

Money was obviously a big part. I am sure he backed himself , but realistically he wasn't getting into their first team. So turning down consistent League 1 football tounder 23s, not sure it's that much of a no-brainer. 

If he was confident about getting into the Bournemouth team, surely he would have been confident about getting into ours?  

• Like 1

Shearer always wanted to wear the black and white at some point but i'm sure Keegan swayed that move just as much as his love for his hometown.  Think Shearer has said as much, similar with Dunn when Bolton had the pull of Allardyce but we had Hughes and probably offered a few more quid lets not kid ourselves.

Would Dunn have shunned big Sams notlob for Ince or Kean ?   Very much doubt it unless the numbers were impossible to refuse, which they would no doubt have been under the king snake and co %%%%

3 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Weren't we linked with that George Tanner kid from Man U earlier in the window? He has signed for Salford on loan for the rest of the season.

We were. Thanks for spotting that one, though we haven't talked about him much.

Think the point we are missing is that a lot of pros aren’t particularly big fans of clubs generally.

They are often in academies from being little kids and spend very little time/if any watching games in the stands of their local club.

They aren’t tribal fanatics like us, so you imagine moving around isn’t much of an issue.

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Money was obviously a big part. I am sure he backed himself , but realistically he wasn't getting into their first team. So turning down consistent League 1 football tounder 23s, not sure it's that much of a no-brainer. 

If he was confident about getting into the Bournemouth team, surely he would have been confident about getting into ours?  

Yes indeed, he was already in our team, and Tony supported him well. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hopefully we can develop Whitehall and Barnes into good centre back options.

If we are to loan Buckley out(something I wouldn't do) then we need to find the right club that will aide his develop not hinder it like some young footballers it does. 

Whitehall isn't a CB, despite playing there recently. He most definitely sees himself as a midfielder.

I wouldn't loan Buckley out either, I'd take the mythical £10m (with add ons if possible) and PMSL for the next 5 years... like Forest are doing with Brereton.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Weren't we linked with that George Tanner kid from Man U earlier in the window? He has signed for Salford on loan for the rest of the season.

Yes we were. Been interesting how he  play there

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Whitehall isn't a CB, despite eplaying there recently. He most definitely sees himself as a midfielder.

I wouldn't loan Buckley out either, I'd take the mythical £10m (with add ons if possible) and PMSL for the next 5 years... like Forest are doing with Brereton.

I was impressed with him at centre back when I seen him

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Whitehall isn't a CB, despite eplaying there recently. He most definitely sees himself as a midfielder.

Really is mythical at this point though. We might as well discuss our plans to play Theseus on a pegasus up front, and fund it by selling the golden fleece.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They mostly have no loyalty/affinity to the club they support once pro, should have been the post (would’ve saved us all some time).

Yes to be fair this is what I should have gone with.

Still, it killed some time whilst nothing else is happening in this thread!

29 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Whitehall has always impressed me most as a full back. He's played there a few times this year and I've liked him. Lewis Thompson is top quality too, but I bet he'd rather see himself as a LM rather than a LB. 

Side note: At this point we should re-name this thread the "Academy Players & Which Teams They All Support" ;) 

Anyone else find the reported (rejected) bid for the Polish u-18 keeper a bit odd? We have two good promising young keepers who aren't getting a look in already. Meanwhile we very much need a senior goalie.

If it's true I can only think we want to allow one of the kids to go out on loan and that the fee is chump change.