BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

3 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

I already have backed us at 20/1 for promotion. Before Dack's injury; have quite a bit on it. There aren't 6 teams better than us. If we can keep key players fit we can certainly make the playoffs. 

We would all be buzzing and it is the end goal but I don’t think this team/ current structure are anywhere near ready for the prem. without significant backing and a new manager I could honestly see us near a record low points, which wouldn’t be pleasant for any of us. If we go up i want to feel like we are ready to make a decent fist of it to stay there, squeezing up through the playoffs and then getting mullered every week could cause more damage than good imo.

might be unpopular opinion and of course I want to get up to prem but I don’t like this team currently, doesn’t feel ready to me 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

We would all be buzzing and it is the end goal but I don’t think this team/ current structure are anywhere near ready for the prem. without significant backing and a new manager I could honestly see us near a record low points, which wouldn’t be pleasant for any of us. If we go up i want to feel like we are ready to make a decent fist of it to stay there, squeezing up through the playoffs and then getting mullered every week could cause more damage than good imo.

might be unpopular opinion and of course I want to get up to prem but I don’t like this team currently, doesn’t feel ready to me 

I've heard this view a few times and I personally find it insane. Even if you get to the Prem and come back down having been battered every week, the financial reward for that completely outstrips any arguments for staying within this division.

Going up would also give us extra funds (providing they were made available) to improve the squad, with the additional pull of Premier League football. So it wouldn't be a given that we'd come straight back down anyway. 

None of this really matters though because for the second season running we find ourselves in and around the playoff picture, but haven't took the initiative and properly strengthened in January. Yet.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You'd turn down at least a season of virtually full houses and all that money even if we fail? I'd say we need to , dare I say it,  take a leaf out of our 6 fingered friends who consolidated well and made the 2nd promotion a stronger squad. That's the way to do it.  Not with Mowbray though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I've heard this view a few times and I personally find it insane. Even if you get to the Prem and come back down having been battered every week, the financial reward for that completely outstrips any arguments for staying within this division.

Going up would also give us extra funds (providing they were made available) to improve the squad, with the additional pull of Premier League football. So it wouldn't be a given that we'd come straight back down anyway. 

None of this really matters though because for the second season running we find ourselves in and around the playoff picture, but haven't took the initiative and properly strengthened in January. Yet.

When we can’t even scrape 3 mill for a player these days- small change in current climate, you really think there would be a green light to strengthen considerably? Need a sheff Utd approach of getting a good core of young players and letting them grow together rather than the villa approach of sneaking up, spending big, coming straight back down with mega wages, our club would sink if we done that.

granted mowbray ain’t the man to gel this team , which is why first step for promotion for me would be canning him. If he got us up he would be here forever on the back of that , no matter if he took us straight back down. Some fans still cite league 1 promotion as reason to keep him 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

When we can’t even scrape 3 mill for a player these days- small change in current climate, you really think there would be a green light to strengthen considerably? Need a sheff Utd approach of getting a good core of young players and letting them grow together rather than the villa approach of sneaking up, spending big, coming straight back down with mega wages, our club would sink if we done that.

granted mowbray ain’t the man to gel this team , which is why first step for promotion for me would be canning him. If he got us up he would be here forever on the back of that , no matter if he took us straight back down. Some fans still cite league 1 promotion as reason to keep him 

We're a small town club that's been out of the Premier League for ages and more recently been in League 1. We hemorrhage money every month. £3m isnt small change for us. Plus we've recently spent big money on Brereton and Gallagher. Naturally, gaining promotion to the Prem and having access to the money that brings with it would give us money to spend. We'd be in a better place financially.

You've given two extreme ends of the spectrum there. There's a whole lot of middle ground.

To be fair, I agree with you on Mowbray. I don't see much progression under his management but we could have a lot worse in charge. I can't say I'd be confident of the club finding an adequate replacement if we were to move him on. Their track record is hardly inspiring.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Naturally, gaining promotion to the Prem and having access to the money that brings with it would give us money to spend. We'd be in a better place financially.

The owners seem hell bent on the premier league, why else would they keep pumping money in and sticking around like they have.?  So,  if we fluke our way there I do expect money to be made available as they'll want to stay up....Balaji would be lapping it up at Old Trafford and all that. I don't think Tony is the right man to spend the money even if he does get us up 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

For fans, it wouldnt be enjoyable getting hammered each week but for the sake of the football club we need to get promoted even if that would be the outcome. The hundred+ millions that come with promotion, increased gates, increased exposure, and the parachute payments when we go back down should not be sniffed at. I agree it is not wise to do a Villa (or Fulham the previous year) of getting up and then going and spending crazy money in an attempt to stay there. I would rather go up and invest wisely so that should we go back down, the squad is in a strong position to get straight back up again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

For fans, it wouldnt be enjoyable getting hammered each week but for the sake of the football club we need to get promoted even if that would be the outcome. The hundred+ millions that come with promotion, increased gates, increased exposure, and the parachute payments when we go back down should not be sniffed at. I agree it is not wise to do a Villa (or Fulham the previous year) of getting up and then going and spending crazy money in an attempt to stay there. I would rather go up and invest wisely so that should we go back down, the squad is in a strong position to get straight back up again. 

I get what your saying but how many of our first team currently are prem league ready? I suggest none being brutally honest. So it puts us at an awkward position of do we put significant money to even compete at that level and potentially harm us long term should it not work out or do we accept that we are going to be relegated but we just want the money so that maybe next time we can try better. Imagine mowbray or venkys came out and said that- yea we know it’s going to result in relegation but we are thinking next time we will be stronger- wouldn’t wash with fans, go back to the protest days, which again harms our club. The gates would dwindle as the season becomes hopeless and long term we loss even more fans as happened the last time, few bad seasons and they lose interest. 
I get that it’s all about the money but as a fan- I want to enjoy going to ewood. Going and expecting defeat after defeat is horrible, been there and lost interest - coyle days- can do a lot of damage.

of course I want us back, but I’d be much happier if we done it competently and I trusted the team/ management which I don’t just now. If we somehow snuck into playoffs and got through them it would be certainly sneaking up the back door rather than being worthy prem candidates the whole season

23 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I get what your saying but how many of our first team currently are prem league ready? I suggest none being brutally honest. So it puts us at an awkward position of do we put significant money to even compete at that level and potentially harm us long term should it not work out or do we accept that we are going to be relegated but we just want the money so that maybe next time we can try better. Imagine mowbray or venkys came out and said that- yea we know it’s going to result in relegation but we are thinking next time we will be stronger- wouldn’t wash with fans, go back to the protest days, which again harms our club. The gates would dwindle as the season becomes hopeless and long term we loss even more fans as happened the last time, few bad seasons and they lose interest. 
I get that it’s all about the money but as a fan- I want to enjoy going to ewood. Going and expecting defeat after defeat is horrible, been there and lost interest - coyle days- can do a lot of damage.

of course I want us back, but I’d be much happier if we done it competently and I trusted the team/ management which I don’t just now. If we somehow snuck into playoffs and got through them it would be certainly sneaking up the back door rather than being worthy prem candidates the whole season

Sure, we would all be much happier if our team was good enough to steamroll the league and finish top two and therefore being better prepared for the prem but just getting there could half the Venky's debt in one go and possibly tempt them to walk out the door losing far less money than they are right now. Hate to say it but Burnley did it the right way. They didnt spend (and still dont) silly money but strengthened sensibly so that when they got relegated, they were able to bounce straight back up. Their fans probably want them to start investing a bit more now however, and that is understandable as they have established themselves in the top flight over the past couple of seasons and probably feel that they should push on a bit now to the next level. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You’re being far too finicky mate. The PL is littered with very average teams. It’s been proven with the likes of Burnley, Brighton, Cardiff, Sheff United, Bournemouth, Watford and West Brom that you can go up with decent teams and survive for a few years on basic investment.

In all honesty, I’d take a Norwich City situation. The finance and improvement of the squad could secure our long term future and even if we dropped straight back down the squad and club as a whole would be in a far better position.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You’re being far too finicky mate. The PL is littered with very average teams. It’s been proven with the likes of Burnley, Brighton, Cardiff, Sheff United, Bournemouth, Watford and West Brom that you can go up with decent teams and survive for a few years on basic investment.

In all honesty, I’d take a Norwich City situation. The finance and improvement of the squad could secure our long term future and even if we dropped straight back down the squad and club as a whole would be in a far better position.

I’d say they were/are all considerably better than us currently. Unfortunately I think we are slap bang where we deserve to be currently , mid table champ team. Neither manager or squad good enough imo 

13 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Unfortunately I think we are slap bang where we deserve to be currently , mid table champ team.

I agree - it ain’t happening, therefore I don’t think you need to be worrying about how this squad of players and managers would do in the PL.

We’re slap bang in the middle of the table and before the last game we had a goal difference of 0. Whenever we’re presented with a winnable game that could lift us into the top 6 off the back of a good run (Wigan at home, quite sure Luton at home too) then we play like frightened rabbits and that starts a bad run of form.

Everything points to us finishing about where we are now. Which is frustrating as the standard is pretty poor and the league’s wide open.

Edited by frosty

• Backroom

At this stage of the season the table doesn't lie. We're past the half way point and 10 other teams have been better than us and accrued more points, that's just a fact regardless of any other speculations. It doesn't mean we can't go on to have a storming second half of the season and ultimately finish top six, but there's no real evidence pointing to that happening right now. What we've seen is the same old story of the team collapsing mentally when we get within touching distance of the playoff positions, only to start playing well again when we're back in mid-table with the pressure valve off. 

I'd like nothing better than for the manager and the players to prove me wrong, but unfortunately I don't think they have it in them. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’d say they were/are all considerably better than us currently. Unfortunately I think we are slap bang where we deserve to be currently , mid table champ team. Neither manager or squad good enough imo 

I’d say that around January in the seasons they went up a lot of them probably had the same fears we have with squads of similar quality. Some better, some worse.

How many Sheffield Utd fans do you think genuinely thought they would go up and compete in the PL? Same with Burnley?

Appreciate your opinion on the manager and squad but this notion of be ‘worthy’ PL candidates is romantic at best and utterly ridiculous at worst.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DE. said:

At this stage of the season the table doesn't lie. We're past the half way point and 10 other teams have been better than us and accrued more points, that's just a fact regardless of any other speculations. It doesn't mean we can't go on to have a storming second half of the season and ultimately finish top six, but there's no real evidence pointing to that happening right now. What we've seen is the same old story of the team collapsing mentally when we get within touching distance of the playoff positions, only to start playing well again when we're back in mid-table with the pressure valve off. 

I'd like nothing better than for the manager and the players to prove me wrong, but unfortunately I don't think they have it in them. 

I think of all our challenges, our ability to go on runs is pretty self evident. Good and bad runs. If we can be within touching distance with 10 to go...I’d at its game on! 

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think of all our challenges, our ability to go on runs is pretty self evident. Good and bad runs. If we can be within touching distance with 10 to go...I’d at its game on! 

Stopping the bad runs before they really get going will be key to us getting anywhere this season or indeed any other. If we can stop ourselves falling into a rut every time we have a poor result then it will definitely be game on. Otherwise it's just BAU.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

and, in the main, that's why players don't develop at Rovers.

IMO, Mowbray hinders young players as opposed to helping them.

Brereton's confidence is shot whilst, largely, Gallagher is played out of position.  Whose fault is that !?!?

I would say Dack, Travis and Armstrong have all got better under Mowbray. 

Yes Mowbray is playing Gallagher on the right but hes a role for the team and wants to get better in that role. 

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Why the feck would any club want to pay Rhodes £35k per week.

Sit on your arse in Sheffield son and draw your money if that's what you want.

If he wants to play football, I think he needs to realise he's a £10k a week man and that's being generous! 

I agree. 

Rhodes's career has gone nowhere since leaving here. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A bit like us then 

When he left we were on a decline which eventually lead us into league 1!? Whereas we now sit in the Championship looking up at a potential promotion push having spent less than at least 11 teams in there who currently benefit from parachute payments.

But all of the above is only the tip of the iceberg. There’s been huge steps made internally and in terms of infrastructure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Stopping the bad runs before they really get going will be key to us getting anywhere this season or indeed any other. If we can stop ourselves falling into a rut every time we have a poor result then it will definitely be game on. Otherwise it's just BAU.

Keep in the mix for as long as possible and then get on a GOOD run. Might just take us over the line...

• Like 1