Jump to content
GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

and it will only get worse this summer when we have to replace loan players, ageing players, players out of contract and players who simply aren't good enough.  If Mowbray is still here, and God forbid, I think it will just give him another ready made excuse for 'stability' - 'you can't have so many new players in the building and expect them to gel'.

I think it underlines our player recruitment strategy has been simply shambolic under Mowbray.

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Hmmm. A shot stopper, but what is he like on coming for crosses, and what is his distribution like? Does he talk to his defence? Does he read the game, or simply react?

From what I've heard dealing with crosses is his biggest strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Hmmm. A shot stopper, but what is he like on coming for crosses, and what is his distribution like? Does he talk to his defence? Does he read the game, or simply react?

And I believe he was a midfielder in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what do you think the chances are of our getting more than 2 or 3 of those at any point in the next 2 windows? Next to none I think. We might buy but we know it probably wont be in positions where we need playrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We have a good crop of youth players knocking on the door, so I don't see any big crisis coming. With that said I do think our promotion aspirations will dwindle for each season that passes by, and we're actually in a very good position to be pushing for a play-off place this season. Mowbray should recognise the same, and needs to make a couple of big calls this window.

Really looking forward to tonight's game.

Hooray to both. Couldn't agree more. JRC has scope to be bigger for us than Travis, Lewis Thompson was starting ahead of Sam Hart as left-back too in the 23's, Vale and Brennan both good young prospects. 

And the game tonight is one we genuinely have a good chance of winning, Arma in great form, Holtby on the back of a brace, Tosin and Lenihan looking as comfortable as ever. Might actually enjoy this one ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Hooray to both. Couldn't agree more. JRC has scope to be bigger for us than Travis, Lewis Thompson was starting ahead of Sam Hart as left-back too in the 23's, Vale and Brennan both good young prospects. 

And the game tonight is one we genuinely have a good chance of winning, Arma in great form, Holtby on the back of a brace, Tosin and Lenihan looking as comfortable as ever. Might actually enjoy this one ;) 

I look at a lot of Championship teams and see how they happily throw the young stars into their first team. I would be more than happy to see JRC and Thompson playing weekly. 

I have a good feeling about tonight and with Wells not playing too, I think we'll win 3-1. 

Edited by Wegerleswiggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

GK, centre half, left back, striker, winger. As I said, 3-5. 

Chapman for the wing

Wharton back as CB competition

JRC as right back competition

Hilton for sub keeper 

 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

9 signings?? Jesus Chaddy you are going to regret that one 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

3 years as manager, getting on for £20 Million spent on players and even one of Mowbray's biggest backers thinks we are 9 players short. Damning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

The guy's been here 3 years and we need a new team ? What can I say ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I look at a lot of Championship teams and see how they happily throw the young stars into their first team. I would be more than happy to see JRC and Thompson playing weekly. 

I have a good feeling about tonight and with Wells not playing too, I think we'll win 3-1. 

That Eze E is one to watch out for though. 16 goal contributions this season (10 goals, 6 assists).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Not sure I agree on the lower range of the spectrum for this one BDS. And 5+ is a fair whack of talent to have to replace before any other unenforced changes occur. 

Last season we needed a successor to Graham, a potential upgrade on Bereton, an upgrade on Mulgrew, another centre back, a left back, and a defensive mid at the minimum. 

Firstly we need the same again. Not sure where the 3 a manageable number comes from other than PR spin. We've 3 loans to replace before we start looking at old age catching up with our players! No way is it a very reasonable 3 which is hyperbole in itself. 

Secondly the fact we may need the same this year - bar Gally being an upgrade on Bereton - shows we have done the sum total of nothing of note in the transfer window this season. It shows we have wasted a whole year. 

Thirdly you could argue it is worse because we need a keeper as well after a year of having a substandard keeper with no long game in it for us either. 

Fourthly there's the quality as well as quantity issue. Graham has been our best striker for years and he needs replacing. Similarly Tosin is a first choice centre back and we all know how vital a good, or even decent, keeper is. This isn't tinkering with the squad but core positions. Likewise we haven't replaced Mulgrew's much needed goals. Quality wise as well as numbers it's half the spine of the team that needs replacing. 

I really rate your posts and opinions but think you've missed the mark on this one. When we came up I expressed caution that 2 of our best 3 players - Graham and Mulgrew were getting on and their huge influence would need replacing. We're heading into the summer 2 years later with neither of them having a viable succession plan. So yeah in terms of quantity and quality transfer wise we've a hell of a job before us. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

3 years as manager, getting on for £20 Million spent on players and even one of Mowbray's biggest backers thinks we are 9 players short. Damning.

And throw into the mix that at 11 pm on Friday he will have had six transfer windows. I remember lots of pro Mowbray posts with a theme of giving him four transfer windows. 

After six windows and many millions spent I think we are marginally better than when he came. And unlike a couple of his predecessors he hasn't had to sell any players to generate income to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

Not sure I agree on the lower range of the spectrum for this one BDS. And 5+ is a fair whack of talent to have to replace before any other unenforced changes occur. 

Last season we needed a successor to Graham, a potential upgrade on Bereton, an upgrade on Mulgrew, another centre back, a left back, and a defensive mid at the minimum. 

Firstly we need the same again. Not sure where the 3 a manageable number comes from other than PR spin. We've 3 loans to replace before we start looking at old age catching up with our players! No way is it a very reasonable 3 which is hyperbole in itself. 

Secondly the fact we may need the same this year - bar Gally being an upgrade on Bereton - shows we have done the sum total of nothing of note in the transfer window this season. It shows we have wasted a whole year. 

Thirdly you could argue it is worse because we need a keeper as well after a year of having a substandard keeper with no long game in it for us either. 

Fourthly there's the quality as well as quantity issue. Graham has been our best striker for years and he needs replacing. Similarly Tosin is a first choice centre back and we all know how vital a good, or even decent, keeper is. This isn't tinkering with the squad but core positions. Likewise we haven't replaced Mulgrew's much needed goals. Quality wise as well as numbers it's half the spine of the team that needs replacing. 

I really rate your posts and opinions but think you've missed the mark on this one. When we came up I expressed caution that 2 of our best 3 players - Graham and Mulgrew were getting on and their huge influence would need replacing. We're heading into the summer 2 years later with neither of them having a viable succession plan. So yeah in terms of quantity and quality transfer wise we've a hell of a job before us. 

 

 

 

It's a conservative estimate to be fair and I am also hoping that some of the fringe players push on like Davenport, Chapman, JRC and Wharton, Brereton and Gallagher even.

We certainly need a much better window than we have had in the last couple of years. As you say, quality is key. 

When I say 3-5 I mean permanents, with 2-3 loans. It's not unachievable, but as I say, going to need to be better planned than previously. I would actually love to see us sign a few players early doors. For example get Curtis in, show a bit of intent. 

The big question then is where will we be at financially to make any of this happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

That Eze E is one to watch out for though. 16 goal contributions this season (10 goals, 6 assists).

Ryan will have him in his back pocket!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

Mowbray was supposed to be gradually building a promotion squad over a few seasons. 3 seasons on and we need 9 signings.

That is failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And throw into the mix that at 11 pm on Friday he will have had six transfer windows. I remember lots of pro Mowbray posts with a theme of giving him four transfer windows. 

After six windows and many millions spent I think we are marginally better than when he came. And unlike a couple of his predecessors he hasn't had to sell any players to generate income to spend.

With respect, I think this is way off the mark. Appearances aplenty for the likes of Greer, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Ward and Lowe. All of those would need an injury crisis to get near the squad now. Even the sprinkling of inconsistent talent we had up front weren't actually our players! Harsh to hold the fact that he's not had to sell anyone (yet) against him when we've only just got to the point that we've got anyone who would fetch any money!

I can't argue that he's brought in a lot of players, some of them have not been goof signings and that we need significant recruitment to be where we need to be. All I'd say is that:

 i) some of the suggestions that we need up to 9 new players in addition to the current squad is, I think, completely over the top. We win tonight then we're 3 points off the team currently in 6th. We don't need a new squad. 

 ii) Many of the players brought in were to get us of L1 at the first time of asking, which they did, and to get us up to speed in the Championship. A club like ours shouldn't be satisfied by treading water in the second division, but if we want to shop for players to get us promoted, we're looking for a different standard of player we were 18 months ago. 

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

With respect, I think this is way off the mark. Appearances aplenty for the likes of Greer, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Ward and Lowe. All of those would need an injury crisis to get near the squad now. Even the sprinkling of inconsistent talent we had up front weren't actually our players! Harsh to hold the fact that he's not had to sell anyone (yet) against him when we've only just got to the point that we've got anyone who would fetch any money!

I can't argue that he's brought in a lot of players, some of them have not been goof signings and that we need significant recruitment to be where we need to be. All I'd say is that:

 i) some of the suggestions that we need up to 9 new players in addition to the current squad is, I think, completely over the top. We win tonight then we're 3 points off the team currently in 6th. We don't need a new squad. 

 ii) Many of the players brought in were to get us of L1 at the first time of asking, which they did, and to get us up to speed in the Championship. A club like ours shouldn't be satisfied by treading water in the second division, but if we want to shop for players to get us promoted, we're looking for a different standard of player we were 18 months ago. 

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

Excellent analysis that is based on the facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

With respect, I think this is way off the mark. Appearances aplenty for the likes of Greer, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Ward and Lowe. All of those would need an injury crisis to get near the squad now. Even the sprinkling of inconsistent talent we had up front weren't actually our players! Harsh to hold the fact that he's not had to sell anyone (yet) against him when we've only just got to the point that we've got anyone who would fetch any money!

I can't argue that he's brought in a lot of players, some of them have not been goof signings and that we need significant recruitment to be where we need to be. All I'd say is that:

 i) some of the suggestions that we need up to 9 new players in addition to the current squad is, I think, completely over the top. We win tonight then we're 3 points off the team currently in 6th. We don't need a new squad. 

 ii) Many of the players brought in were to get us of L1 at the first time of asking, which they did, and to get us up to speed in the Championship. A club like ours shouldn't be satisfied by treading water in the second division, but if we want to shop for players to get us promoted, we're looking for a different standard of player we were 18 months ago. 

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

I should have been clear. I was referring to our league position now (or at the end of his sixth window).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I should have been clear. I was referring to our league position now (or at the end of his sixth window).

Understood. (I was also unfair quoting your post when in reality I was speaking to many posts on the last page or so, don't want to seem like I was digging you out specifically!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Excellent analysis that is based on the facts.

No---its based on opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

9 signings?? Jesus Chaddy you are going to regret that one 😂 

Rankin Costello is a winger. Forget playing at right back. 

We need 2 keepers. Maybe Hilton.could be 1. 

We need a back up right. 2 new centre backs with Tosin loan end and Mulgrew will probably go. 2 left back need. Maybe Thompson could set up I dont know but still need a 1st choice. 

So thats 5 needed already. Maybe 7 if Hilton and Thompson cant  

Then a winger and Striker. 

We could sign maybe 1 or 2 signings this window leaving us 5 to 7 signings need in summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.