BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Karl Darlow - Newcastle United
Richard Keogh - (Free for a year)
Charlie Daniels - Bournemouth

Bish, bash, bosh - that’s the transfer window sorted. A decent left-back, a long term keeper, and some cover at centre back with a nice experienced head. 

Chuck in Scott Wharton returning, Smallwood, Gladwin and Hart leaving and you’d almost call it a successful window...

On the Derby boards they are saying that Keogh could be out for up to 18 months due to the injury caused during the accident.This is essentially why he was sacked because the insurance would not cover his wages due to the injury not being football related. They did not want to pay him 25k per week while injured due to getting pissed up, getting in a car knowing that the driver was intoxicated and deciding not to wear a seatbelt.

He will be 35 by the time he recovers (if he even does). 

Darlow is a good shout, very good at this level going on the past. 

Read that article last January. Just the same soundbites about we will try and get what we need but its difficult yada yada and if not, we will go with the group that we have got.

Grinds my gears when he says, 'create competition'. We need a first choice GK and LB, and a CB that will push to be first place - especially once Tosin leaves.

Also, who is this Tom Huddersfield that Derby have?

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

I can’t really put too much credence on words, when we were told ‘defenders are coming’, they didn’t and we ended up much lighter than we needed to. 

Ultimately though, I really hope we have comfortably enough players and we end up as well stocked in defence and up front as we are in midfield.

• Like 2

We’ve all been here before. However, we have remained a decent side going forward and have largely got away with the fact we’ve rarely paid money for a defender/keeper in years.

If he now strengthens us defensively we really could make a move in the second half of the season... so prepare to bang your head against a wall on the 1st of February.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We need to ship out a lot too ideally. Smallwood must be finished here now, I do not see a future for Samuel here,and we need to get some of these kids out on loan if possible. 

I was about to post similar when I saw yours. I think it's vital we shift out the players who clearly don't feature in Mowbrays plans or simply aren't good enough. These include Smallwood, Leutwiler, Bell, Samuel and Gladwin. Even some of the youngsters should go. I honestly can't ever see the likes of Rankin-Costello, Butterworth, Mols or Fisher getting close to playing for the first team so for the sake of their careers should be moved on. 

It's a big window for Mowbray. I just hope we are not discussing a lack of transfer activity on January 31st.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Read that article last January. Just the same soundbites about we will try and get what we need but its difficult yada yada and if not, we will go with the group that we have got.

Grinds my gears when he says, 'create competition'. We need a first choice GK and LB, and a CB that will push to be first place - especially once Tosin leaves.

You beat me to it.

if we have a decent December and some clean sheets we will buy nobody.

Tony Freud says:

“I think we can strengthen in certain areas. When I say strengthen I mean create competition. Let’s wait and see. As I’ve always said, in transfer windows everything has to work, you have to find the players that will improve your group with the right mentality, right personality, that fit in to your budget."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think his best chance of PL football is here with us IMO. Thats my overall point. 

I dont see any of those clubs being mention being interested in Dack

PL football with Mowbray in charge, really? One good performance and two scabby wins don't suggest to me that anything major has changed. 

So, other than blind hope, what makes you think that those clubs are so unrealistic, especially when they were sniffing around at properties down there last summer?

There's a reason extended contracts with better money don't get signed and why people live in rented accommodation - the warning signs are there and the alarm bells are about to ring.

So time will tell and we'll see, but I know where my money would be going.

Yet again I dont see those clubs being interested. He isnt their type of player. 

I am fully aware of the runs we have been on Under Mowbray. You dont need to tell me. 

He isn't West Brom's type of player ?

Very silly of them to bid all that money for him then.

• Like 2

Yet again I dont see those clubs being interested. He isnt their type of player. 

I am fully aware of the runs we have been on Under Mowbray. You dont need to tell me. 

So what you are saying is that there is not one of the clubs in the premiership or the top 10 of the championship (who are more likely for promotion than us) who would want him??? 

Now I find that hard to believe and somewhat impausible to say the least. The idea that none of these clubs play with someone in the hole either in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 or any other system with someone in the hole is a little far fetched. Not to mention that these clubs may want a plan B in order to change their shape. Oh and there's the fact that it has been known to buy talented players and convert/alter their positions and for clubs to buy players because they are doing well with no thought as to how they fit in the team! So on no level can it be said that Rovers are the pinnacle that Dack can and should aim for, and it's especially inaccurate to suggest no club will want him. That's wishful thinking I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

With the numbers Bradley Dack has racked up for us, he’s the type of player many clubs would want, even those clubs with better squads than us already. 
I’m quite surprised that I had to type that post out, to be honest...

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

" Creating competition " has lead us to where we are now. We have about 5 players who are regular stand out first team players and another 20 plus who drift in and out of first team contention as and when they take Tony's fancy. How many current Rovers player would you really be gutted about if they were to be sold in the window ? That tells you all you need to know about our recruitment policy

Chill out with the semantics lads. He can’t very well say that he’s bringing in players to replace his ‘error prone’ keeper and ‘crap’ left back can he? Whether you thought his signings were good or not this summer, every one of them was bought to, and have in some way replaced those before them. He doesn’t have to piss the group off whilst they’re on a fantastic run and on the eve of the game to prove that point....

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Creating competition " has lead us to where we are now. We have about 5 players who are regular stand out first team players and another 20 plus who drift in and out of first team contention as and when they take Tony's fancy. How many current Rovers player would you really be gutted about if they were to be sold in the window ? That tells you all you need to know about our recruitment policy

Downing, Johnson, Gally, Tosin, Cunningham, Holtby and Walton have all pushed lesser players down the pecking order. Stop worrying about words.

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Downing, Johnson, Gally, Tosin, Cunningham, Holtby and Walton have all pushed lesser players down the pecking order. Stop worrying about words.

Um that's a tallest dwarf situation in a few of those cases isn't it? I mean pushing Leuitweiller, Bell, Bereton, Smallwood etc down the chain isn't exactly difficult and doesn't mean the incoming players are up to standard either. FWiW I think Holtby, Downing, Tosin and Cunningham are improvements to the squad but Johnson, Gally and Walton aren't at the required level. That's a 58% success ratio (ok I guess and his best yet) but also ignores fees, areas we haven't invested in and are threadbare or the long term profile/strategy of the club (arguably only Holtby and Gally will be playing for us next year at this level). So yeah I can see why fans may be worried. 

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I'm wondering if there are any stipulations in Walton's loan contract stating how many games or minutes he is obliged to play. Just curious about that in the event that we bring a new first-team goalie in on a permanent. It's possible that the situation could develop in Walton finding a new club willing to take him on loan for the rest of the season, because I can't see him wanting to play second-fiddle here, and his contract might be binding to the point where he'd have to be the regular number one for the remainder of the season.

If I recall, I think Palmer had his loan contract cut short here when Bristol City offered something more attractive to him. I think Armstrong also had his loan contract cut short at Bolton half-way through our League One season because he wasn't happy there for one reason or another. So it's not unheard of.

Ironically it was because he was being played on the wing and he wanted to play centrally. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

Um that's a tallest dwarf situation in a few of those cases isn't it? I mean pushing Leuitweiller, Bell, Bereton, Smallwood etc down the chain isn't exactly difficult and doesn't mean the incoming players are up to standard either. FWiW I think Holtby, Downing, Tosin and Cunningham are improvements to the squad but Johnson, Gally and Walton aren't at the required level. That's a 58% success ratio (ok I guess and his best yet) but also ignores fees, areas we haven't invested in and are threadbare or the long term profile/strategy of the club (arguably only Holtby and Gally will be playing for us next year at this level). So yeah I can see why fans may be worried. 

That wasn’t the point. The point I was making was people worrying over words like ‘creating competition’ when it’s clear from the summer business and with the fact that Mulgrew, Bell, Smallwood, Evans (up until recently) have all been removed from the first eleven. 

So regardless of the terminology he uses to define new signings, old players ARE being replaced. 

For what it’s worth, I believe Gally will succeed Graham and do well for us. Whilst Johnson on the bench is a much better option than Smallwood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

PL football with Mowbray in charge, really? One good performance and two scabby wins don't suggest to me that anything major has changed. 

So, other than blind hope, what makes you think that those clubs are so unrealistic, especially when they were sniffing around at properties down there last summer?

There's a reason extended contracts with better money don't get signed and why people live in rented accommodation - the warning signs are there and the alarm bells are about to ring.

So time will tell and we'll see, but I know where my money would be going.

Yes the Barnsley game was scabby win but the Brentford and Stoke games was far from Scabby wins. 4 wins in 5 games. I will take any win any way they come. 

Doesn't fit into Bournemouth formation of 4-4-2,

Watford are a mess recruitment wise this past summer, maybe they could be interested in the summer depend who manager is and which league they are in

Brighton, don't see where he fit in Potter style or formation. 

Palace, is he Hodgson type of player? 

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

He isn't West Brom's type of player ?

Very silly of them to bid all that money for him then.

Different manager now and there have Pereria who they are looking to buy for 6 mil pounds. 

West Brom interested was under Darren Moore and 17 months ago. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

That wasn’t the point. The point I was making was people worrying over words like ‘creating competition’ when it’s clear from the summer business and with the fact that Mulgrew, Bell, Smallwood, Evans (up until recently) have all been removed from the first eleven. 

So regardless of the terminology he uses to define new signings, old players ARE being replaced. 

For what it’s worth, I believe Gally will succeed Graham and do well for us. Whilst Johnson on the bench is a much better option than Smallwood.

I see what you are saying but removal from the first 11 isn't the best barometer for success if the replacements aren't good enough! Also given how Holtby had been phased in and out, Gally came in sometimes over a better performing Graham - and some times in the spectacularly unhelpful position of right wing - Tosin only got his break when Williams/Lenihen was injured (admittedly he had his own injuries but it was still slower than it ought). It suggests TM is a bit unwilling to upset the apple.cart. I think he has said as much in interviews as well wanting to keep everyone happy.  As for Johnson it seems a lot of wages on a squad player and a bit of a waste imo. 

Not very succinct from me! I guess what I am trying to say is I have issues with how a few players have been integrated and the creating competition also suggests players of a similar quality rather than those who've significantly better and we've seen that in Johnson Gally and Walton not being of the required standard for us to push on. 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

With the numbers Bradley Dack has racked up for us, he’s the type of player many clubs would want, even those clubs with better squads than us already. 
I’m quite surprised that I had to type that post out, to be honest...

My thoughts too.  It is ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't be on the radar of the lower tier Premier League clubs. He'll be quite effective in that league as defenders stand off more, rather than him having three players stuck to him within a second of getting the ball.  We'll miss him when he's gone - a cracking signing by Mowbray.

Just now, Blue blood said:

I see what you are saying but removal from the first 11 isn't the best barometer for success if the replacements aren't good enough! Also given how Holtby had been phased in and out, Gally came in sometimes over a better performing Graham - and some times in the spectacularly unhelpful position of right wing - Tosin only got his break when Williams/Lenihen was injured (admittedly he had his own injuries but it was still slower than it ought). It suggests TM is a bit unwilling to upset the apple.cart. I think he has said as much in interviews as well wanting to keep everyone happy.  As for Johnson it seems a lot of wages on a squad player and a bit of a waste imo. 

Not very succinct from me! I guess what I am trying to say is I have issues with how a few players have been integrated and the creating competition also suggests players of a similar quality rather than those who've significantly better and we've seen that in Johnson Gally and Walton not being of the required standard for us to push on. 

You’re making a really good point mate. But we’re talking about two different things here. 

Whether or not you or I rate the players bought. What is clear is that the manager did in fact buy them to take the place of the previous incumbents. Some (Downing, Tosin, Cunningham (whilst fit) have taken that opportunity. Others (Johnson and Gally) immediately displaced old players but haven’t found their stride but could easily come back in and play the vast majority of remaining games. Whilst Holtby will likely becomes more and more influential.

My point is that the manager saying he wants to ‘create competition’ is his way of managing the group. In truth he’s trying to upgrade and therefore replace what we have.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Doesn't fit into Bournemouth formation of 4-4-2,

Watford are a mess recruitment wise this past summer, maybe they could be interested in the summer depend who manager is and which league they are in

Brighton, don't see where he fit in Potter style or formation. 

Palace, is he Hodgson type of player? 

Different manager now and there have Pereria who they are looking to buy for 6 mil pounds. 

West Brom interested was under Darren Moore and 17 months ago. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

So what you are saying is that there is not one of the clubs in the premiership or the top 10 of the championship (who are more likely for promotion than us) who would want him??? 

Now I find that hard to believe and somewhat impausible to say the least. The idea that none of these clubs play with someone in the hole either in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 or any other system with someone in the hole is a little far fetched. Not to mention that these clubs may want a plan B in order to change their shape. Oh and there's the fact that it has been known to buy talented players and convert/alter their positions and for clubs to buy players because they are doing well with no thought as to how they fit in the team! So on no level can it be said that Rovers are the pinnacle that Dack can and should aim for, and it's especially inaccurate to suggest no club will want him. That's wishful thinking I'm afraid. 

I see you are ignoring this post which shows a host of reasons why Dack may be off! In addition to all my other objections what if a manager wants to change their style? How about clubs from abroad? Man there are a ton of reasons why Dack will leave and I,'m sure you quoted on the death of 4-4-2 in other places as well, so plenty of clubs may well want him. In fact he may for into these clubs as a different kind of dropping off forward/in the hole. I'm astounded someone can think that the best a well performing Championship player can do is us.