BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Paul Mani said:

You’re making a really good point mate. But we’re talking about two different things here. 

Whether or not you or I rate the players bought. What is clear is that the manager did in fact buy them to take the place of the previous incumbents. Some (Downing, Tosin, Cunningham (whilst fit) have taken that opportunity. Others (Johnson and Gally) immediately displaced old players but haven’t found their stride but could easily come back in and play the vast majority of remaining games. Whilst Holtby will likely becomes more and more influential.

My point is that the manager saying he wants to ‘create competition’ is his way of managing the group. In truth he’s trying to upgrade and therefore replace what we have.

Yeah I see your point. Perhaps it's more his standards/judgement of a quality upgrade which combines with the language used and the treatment of certain players makes me wary as to whether he is actually trying to upgrade us! 

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

My thoughts too.  It is ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't be on the radar of the lower tier Premier League clubs. He'll be quite effective in that league as defenders stand off more, rather than him having three players stuck to him within a second of getting the ball.  We'll miss him when he's gone - a cracking signing by Mowbray.

TOP TOP signing. There’d be a queue of top Championship clubs and some with much deeper pockets than us wanting Dack

I don’t think he’s quick enough to play in the PL personally. Which makes him an out an out number 10. Not many PL teams play with out and out 10’s. I think his best chance at the PL is to go up with someone. 

Edit - I also think Dack is very lucky to have TM. A manager who excuses his bad games and provides him with the tools, support and ammunition to play exactly where he wants. Dack would have to ‘fit in’ at other clubs. I think he’d have the potential to go off the rails...and I think other clubs know this too!

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 4

Just now, Blue blood said:

Yeah I see your point. Perhaps it's more his standards/judgement of a quality upgrade which combines with the language used and the treatment of certain players makes me wary as to whether he is actually trying to upgrade us! 

Agreed. ??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I see you are ignoring this post which shows a host of reasons why Dack may be off! In addition to all my other objections what if a manager wants to change their style? How about clubs from abroad? Man there are a ton of reasons why Dack will leave and I,'m sure you quoted on the death of 4-4-2 in other places as well, so plenty of clubs may well want him. In fact he may for into these clubs as a different kind of dropping off forward/in the hole. I'm astounded someone can think that the best a well performing Championship player can do is us. 

well Bournemouth played 4-4-2 mostly under Eddie Howe, so that is fact.

Brighton are playing different way under Potter and I don't where Dack would fit into their system. 

Palace need a striker and attacking midfield last summer and got neither. No bid for Dack last summer. 

Watford spent 40 mil on a foreign winger which when they signed him was strange move for them. 

Do you think he go overseas like where? seems this your point. 

I don't see him as Leeds, West Brom or Fulham type of signing either. not when they got better quality in that position. You mention top 10 of this league and looking at the table I only see Cardiff or Sheffield Wednesday where Dack would fit in. I don't see him fitting into Brentford and Forest playing way. Swansea are cutting back money wise and Preston cant afford him. 

I would suggest you look at Players like Rhodes, Gestede, Marshall, Hanley who all left here thinking the grass was greener on the other side and gone nowhere

• Moderation Lead

Dack would be an attractive signing for any ambitious side in this league, even some in the PL in my view. (As much as I never want him to leave here, I’m realistic enough to know that he probably will, if we aren’t promoted soon). 

Good teams find a way with good players, t’was ever thus.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Chill out with the semantics lads. He can’t very well say that he’s bringing in players to replace his ‘error prone’ keeper and ‘crap’ left back can he? Whether you thought his signings were good or not this summer, every one of them was bought to, and have in some way replaced those before them. He doesn’t have to piss the group off whilst they’re on a fantastic run and on the eve of the game to prove that point....

When we've been successful in the past we haven't been bringing in players to " create competition ". Souey didn't bring Berkovic in to create competition, he was brought in to be one of the first names on the team sheet and drive us on to promotion. Same with Kenny and  the likes of Gordon Cowans etc. Ditto Bellamy with Mark Hughes and dozens of other players we've signed over the years that I could mention. There's absolutely no point in signing players that are no better than the ones that are already here.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well Bournemouth played 4-4-2 mostly under Eddie Howe, so that is fact.

Brighton are playing different way under Potter and I don't where Dack would fit into their system. 

Palace need a striker and attacking midfield last summer and got neither. No bid for Dack last summer. 

Watford spent 40 mil on a foreign winger which when they signed him was strange move for them. 

Do you think he go overseas like where? seems this your point. 

I don't see him as Leeds, West Brom or Fulham type of signing either. not when they got better quality in that position. You mention top 10 of this league and looking at the table I only see Cardiff or Sheffield Wednesday where Dack would fit in. I don't see him fitting into Brentford and Forest playing way. Swansea are cutting back money wise and Preston cant afford him. 

I would suggest you look at Players like Rhodes, Gestede, Marshall, Hanley who all left here thinking the grass was greener on the other side and gone nowhere

Rhodes, Gestede, Marshall and Hanley were all part of promotion sides to the Premier League - whilst we were relegated to ply our trade in League One.  Currently, we are also-rans in the Championship.

Not sure what point you were trying to make there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

TOP TOP signing. There’d be a queue of top Championship clubs and some with much deeper pockets than us wanting Dack

I don’t think he’s quick enough to play in the PL personally. Which makes him an out an out number 10. Not many PL teams play with out and out 10’s. I think his best chance at the PL is to go up with someone. 

Edit - I also think Dack is very lucky to have TM. A manager who excuses his bad games and provides him with the tools, support and ammunition to play exactly where he wants. Dack would have to ‘fit in’ at other clubs. I think he’d have the potential to go off the rails...and I think other clubs know this too!

He plays Dack in his favourite position (which is hardly a massive luxury that Dack is given) but his bad games are excused because quite simply he scores goals at a very healthy rate whilst absolutely no one else in our team does, especially with Graham being moved out. Gallagher, Armstrong, Brereton, Rothwell, Holtby, Downing, the highest that any of them has is 2, Dack is on 9 so his goals alone justify being selected for every game. Plus our tactics are not particularly playing to his strengths necessarily, hes just the kind of player who will keep scoring regardless because he can sniff out danger and chances. I think when he goes we will be such a weaker team in his absence, no doubt. Not sure where the goals will come from.

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

On the Derby boards they are saying that Keogh could be out for up to 18 months due to the injury caused during the accident.This is essentially why he was sacked because the insurance would not cover his wages due to the injury not being football related. They did not want to pay him 25k per week while injured due to getting pissed up, getting in a car knowing that the driver was intoxicated and deciding not to wear a seatbelt.

He will be 35 by the time he recovers (if he even does). 

Darlow is a good shout, very good at this level going on the past. 

If they'd sacked the ones who did the actual drink driving too, that would make it a much fairer decision. Given he is the one to have suffered the most and didn't actually drive or crash the car, it makes it clear it's all a decision about assets more than it is about gross misconduct, and I'd expect him to be able to win his appeal to the league or in court.

None of which isn't to say he hasn't been a fucking idiot of course.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Read that article last January. Just the same soundbites about we will try and get what we need but its difficult yada yada and if not, we will go with the group that we have got.

Grinds my gears when he says, 'create competition'. We need a first choice GK and LB, and a CB that will push to be first place - especially once Tosin leaves.

Also, who is this Tom Huddersfield that Derby have?

Absolutely 100% the same observations I made. I really hope he only says this 'create competition' shit for psychological reasons with the players. Even then, I'd rather they got a rocket up their arses by worrying they may get replaced.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Absolutely 100% the same observations I made. I really hope he only says this 'create competition' shit for psychological reasons with the players. Even then, I'd rather they got a rocket up their arses by worrying they may get replaced.

It doesn't really hang together with the " defenders are coming " statement he made less than a year ago. Maybe he meant " defenders that are no better than you lads so don't worry about losing your places ". The way he pussy footed around the Bauer non signing does make you wonder.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

If they'd sacked the ones who did the actual drink driving too, that would make it a much fairer decision. Given he is the one to have suffered the most and didn't actually drive or crash the car, it makes it clear it's all a decision about assets more than it is about gross misconduct, and I'd expect him to be able to win his appeal to the league or in court.

None of which isn't to say he hasn't been a fucking idiot of course.

Yes, the whole thing stinks the way the two main culprits got off pretty much scot-free (apart from losing 6-weeks wages), while Keogh is sacked for gross misconduct. That incident has probably finished his career and he has now lost his last contract. If I were him, I would be suing Lawrence for loss of earnings.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Needed in January 
Priority #1 - Left Back and a Goalscorer (either Inside Right Forward or Striker). 
Priority #2 - GK and CB is we have any change left.

You have way too much faith in Walton for that to only be priority 2 (3 essentially).

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Needed in January 
Priority #1 - Left Back and a Goalscorer (either Inside Right Forward or Striker). 
Priority #2 - GK and CB is we have any change left.

We dont a problem scoring goals. 

Left back and keeper is the priority now

Just now, stinny1 said:

lets get players in not out Left back, center half and a keeper.I would like a right winger with paces aswell . if Rovers get too January still in the mix then Venkys  and TM have got too give it a real go

You could argue they've already given it a good go stumping up big bucks for Gallagher and Brererton.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We dont a problem scoring goals. 

Left back and keeper is the priority now

We do have a problem if Dack was to get injured. Our strikers don't score very often. Derek Williams is our 3rd top scorer with 3 goals. 

A proven Championship goalscorer would be ideal, but only if we sort the defence out first.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No idea but he should have been over the below par keeper we did get.

On 80k wages I believe at Southampton. You would be lucky if we would have paid 25% of his wages. Celtic can pay more. 

We look a few keepers like Darlow from Newcastle and Martinez from Arsenal. Plus a couple of foriegn ones. 

8 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

We do have a problem if Dack was to get injured. Our strikers don't score very often. Derek Williams is our 3rd top scorer with 3 goals. 

A proven Championship goalscorer would be ideal, but only if we sort the defence out first.

No we dont have a problem at all. We either play Rothwell or Holtby in the 10 role. Or move Armstrong up front and play 4-4-2. 

A striker should be our least priority in this window. 

Keeper, left back, centre back 1st priorities.