GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

"Finding good loan moves for our prayers"

Well ultimately the moves are dictated by who wants them 

I knew somebody was going to chime in on that sentence with something like that.

If I decide to sell watermelons tomorrow, am I best just putting a sign on my door that says 'Buy watermelons here' and see who comes to me, or should I maybe be proactive about it and do some real marketing?

Point being you can actively promote your youngsters. Some clubs have a loans manager these days. Whilst we may not have the resources to put someone full time on that, it's hard to believe more can't be done with existing staff and contacts.

Other clubs operating at the same or lower youth levels than us seem to manage just fine!

We also have a problem of sanctioning loans that appear to be of zero benefit. Wharton can only learn so much from consecutive League Two loans. What was the point of, at the same time, sending Matty Platt, an inferior player to Wharton, to League One to sit on a bench? Fisher couldn't get into a League Two team, but now he will get into a League One team? Why send Tom White almost immediately back to the same semi pro level we got him from when he is like 22?

I don't care how anyone dresses it, we have one of the best u-23s sides in the country yet are crap at this.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He does alright. He tries to be honest,but sometimes says head scratchers. The absolute best managers are very calculated in what they say. 

I do think though that on here people can read a page of an interview and pick the quotes that make him sound bad. 

Example , he said Boro have improved ,but that if we pay to our strengths we can get a result like against Wednesday.  So obviously people will only use the quite about them improving to make out he is getting excuses in,ignoring the rest of what he said. 

Announcing you are a terrible negotiator is not doing 'alright'. 

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

downing played left back against huddersfield and he was badly exposed,mulgrew there would be a complete catastrophe,

Downing played left back during our great run earlier this season.

24 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I can confirm that Tony is deciding between Pizza Italia and Don Luca for his evening meal.

I say he goes for the latter and finally fulfils a Luca Toni deal on a deadline day.

Just now, Doaksie said:

I say he goes for the latter and finally fulfils a Luca Toni deal on a deadline day.

Or Luca Tony...eh? Eh? I'll get my coat.

Graeme Bailey says Bournemouth meant to want 'over 50 million' for King...so we can probably forget that one if true.

Edited by bluebruce

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

I knew somebody was going to chime in on that sentence with something like that.

If I decide to sell watermelons tomorrow, am I best just putting a sign on my door that says 'Buy watermelons here' and see who comes to me, or should I maybe be proactive about it and do some real marketing?

Point being you can actively promote your youngsters. Some clubs have a loans manager these days. Whilst we may not have the resources to put someone full time on that, it's hard to believe more can't be done with existing staff and contacts.

Other clubs operating at the same or lower youth levels than us seem to manage just fine!

We also have a problem of sanctioning loans that appear to be of zero benefit. Wharton can only learn so much from consecutive League Two loans. What was the point of, at the same time, sending Matty Platt, an inferior player to Wharton, to League One to sit on a bench? Fisher couldn't get into a League Two team, but now he will get into a League One team? Why send Tom White almost immediately back to the same semi pro level we got him from when he is like 22?

I don't care how anyone dresses it, we have one of the best u-23s sides in the country yet are crap at this.

If our players are so good and clubs below us operate so well, why aren't they trying to sign our players? 

Loan managers are for monitoring the loan while it's happening. 

Clubs below us know our players are available , so why won't they sign them? Maybe it's just the players aren't as good as we would like to think. 

I have no doubt we are sending them to play at the highest level we can. 

If your watermelons were the best, you wouldn't have to do much advertising! 

im`e p****d off that it does`nt appear we`ll be strengthening when we should be rallying for a play off spot,a few injuries and we are ******,this is like the 80`s,when we played well until christmas/january then fell away because we could`nt get reinforcements in to cover injuries,at least we had the excuse then that there was no money

47 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

just had a call from a very reliable source that mowbray got on the team bus last,having settled  what looked like a serious argument between at  least six of the squad,there was pushing,shoving and what looked like aggro before tony stepped in and settled issues with some stern finger wagging,no names disclosed as my source wants to remain undercover

It's been outed now that your mate is the bus driver aka Reg Varney (hopefully clubs and media outlets who allegedly read this board don't see Varney and link us with Luke).

5 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Announcing you are a terrible negotiator is not doing 'alright'. 

I don't care what he says if we keep up this positive season. 

His dealings would suggest he isn't that bad. Maybe he was just being hard on himself. He doesn't need to do that, he should just log on here!

Things are really dire on here when we re talking about selling watermelons ..😂 Thank fook im int pub ..

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Fisher to MK Dons, Loan

Another bench for him to sit on. Why don't we loan him somewhere he is going to play.

I hope I'm wrong but the Atsu story sounds a bit like the Assombalonga one this time last year, chasing a player so we can say we tried but in reality we knew that we couldn't afford him.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Graeme Bailey says Bournemouth meant to want 'over 50 million' for King...so we can probably forget that one if true.

Yes but in summer when someone offers £30m we'll be laughing.

Just now, arbitro said:

It's been outed now that your mate is the bus driver aka Reg Varney (hopefully clubs and media outlets who allegedly read this board don't see Varney and link us with Luke).

jesus,is`nt reg varney a bit old to be 😮driving a coach

I think we all know the way this is heading. 

Benno it is then left midfield tomorrow😵

Newcastle have released Ki Sung-yeung. Pretty sure a Championship club will be snapping him up at some point after today.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Newcastle have released Ki Sung-yeung. Pretty sure a Championship club will be snapping him up at some point after today.

Maybe Fulham? He'll want £30-40,000pw

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Yes but in summer when someone offers £30m we'll be laughing.

Imagine, or even more. Cha Ching 

Come on Kingy ,a good end to the season now 

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

jesus,is`nt reg varney a bit old to be 😮driving a coach

Can he play left back then? ☺️

Well Bennett will be left midfield anyway as anyone signed today needed to be done by 12pm to play tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

I think we all know the way this is heading. 

Benno it is then left midfield tomorrow😵

Christ if King goes for £50m we'd be looking at £10m in sell on fees. Would allow for a big spending spree, but BIG emphasis on "allow for"...

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

As a question to the history guys out there, have Rovers ever had an Asian player?

At youth level for sure, they did that whole video package last season with the academy player from an Asian country which had floods or something and they raised money for him and he made a speech on the big screen at half time.

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

As a question to the history guys out there, have Rovers ever had an Asian player?

Zurab Khizanishvili.