BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Reedy You're A Star said:

Theyre taking up space on the wage bill that could be used on someone who will contribute to the success of the 1st team? 

It doesn't seem like that's the issue though. We can afford the wages of lads from Europe or the lower leagues as is. It sounds like we haggled over players outside our wage cap where we wanted the parent club to pay more. 

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Important question, 

If Mowbray isn't on the bus,how is he getting to the game? He lives up there at weekends anyway doesn't he? Probably hitting the road in the old car around midnight I'd say. 

Unless we get the dreaded "no more business" tweet from Sharpe. At which point I will be avoiding the transfer thread ?

I suspect we pay him well enough so he can afford his own transport?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

According to the SSN website tracker, we are the only club in the entire league not to have made a signing this month.

I... am... flabbergasted! 

'Tough time to do business'

'Other clubs aren't spending millions'

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It doesn't seem like that's the issue though. We can afford the wages of lads from Europe or the lower leagues as is. It sounds like we haggled over players outside our wage cap where we wanted the parent club to pay more. 

If we shifted Smallwood out permanently, we could use that weekly wage on another signing at a similar wage. Someone who may at least make the bench, unlike RS. So whilst you may be right and it wasn't dependant on RS moving out to sign someone, it may be the case we could sign one and use the freed up wage fromshifting Smallwood or Samuel to sign another much needed body.

You can only sell someone if another is willing to buy, but I find it hard to believe there were no takers in L1 for the 2 above, even on loan, that could've give us some wiggle room for better on the wage bill.

Massive disappointment all around, I still struggle to believe signing players is as hard as Mowbray makes out, surely anybody inside the club can see we have major problems with certain areas that don't ever seem to get improved. Another huge disappointment is that football has allowed itself into the pits that money is more important than actually playing the game, I look at some of our players here, and other clubs wanting to earn money out of whoring out their youth players to the highest bidders than the best for their development.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think the fringe players leaving mattered though, maybe I'm wrong. 

I think Mowbray is selective about who we sign, I suppose we do have a wage cap 

It's just piss poor that we couldn't even identify 1 player from the lower leagues or Europe that would be worth a punt. Very, very poor. 

At the very least Brereton needed to get out on loan. The lad is regressing here at a rate of knots and I don't see that changing over the next six months. We've completely failed him by not finding him somewhere to play regularly, imo.

Smallwood should have gone as well but I appreciate that may have been difficult given he doesn't seem that keen to go. Probably knows he won't get anything close to this kind of contract again. Samuel not good enough even as a sub for me, should have been moved on if at all possible. No point having him and Brereton here wasting away.

To me it feels like we have a very dysfunctional transfer policy with people in charge who aren't doing anywhere close to a good job. I would argue that since we were promoted from League 1 our business has been mostly abysmal. Some decent loan signings here or there but few if any proper success stories as far as permanent transfers go. Downing and maybe Rothwell at a stretch. Can't remember if Arma was signed before we were promoted but was brought in on loan assumedly with a view to sign in L1 so I'd still count him essentially as pre-promotion transfer business.

I have no faith in Mowbray and Venus anymore as far as transfer dealings as concerned. Making no comment on the footballing side of things, but they shouldn't be heading our recruitment going forward. We need better if we're going to seriously progress.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

very surprised that none of the squad who arn`t getting picked for the 1st team hav`nt tried to force a move away,but thats our problem,to many journeymen content to pick up their wages

Probably because someone gave them ridiculously good contracts for their League One exploits.

Disgraceful how short-sighted the contracts dished out to Smallwood, Mulgrew etc. considering within 6months they weren't considered as good enough for the 1st team, add that to wasted fees.

One day, eventually, people will notice Mr Mowbray's massive failings en masse.  Similar to how many of the same people look back on the squad we had under Bowyer and realise just how much quality was in it and how much it was underachieving.  

Major lack of quality investment over a number of transfer windows now.  Pitiful.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's just piss poor that we couldn't even identify 1 player from the lower leagues or Europe that would be worth a punt. Very, very poor. 

Are you the same person who half an hour ago accused me of being negative about everything because I suggested Atsu was a non starter and a waste of time?

Just now, Reedy You're A Star said:

If we shifted Smallwood out permanently, we could use that weekly wage on another signing at a similar wage. Someone who may at least make the bench, unlike RS. So whilst you may be right and it wasn't dependant on RS moving out to sign someone, it may be the case we could sign one and use the freed up wage fromshifting Smallwood or Samuel to sign another much needed body.

You can only sell someone if another is willing to buy, but I find it hard to believe there were no takers in L1 for the 2 above, even on loan, that could've give us some wiggle room for better on the wage bill.

I think we could still sign someone on Smallwood's wage,even if he stayed. 

I do find it odd no one would take Smallwood. If I was a league 1 manager I would be on that all day to be honest. 

• Like 1

At least Mowbray will have credit in India when he's navigated another troublesome transfer window without spending anything 

Go down well with the bean counters whilst fans lap up the excuses.

Remember Venkys will spend if we are in a decent position to push for promotion, or so the theory goes.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DE. said:

At the very least Brereton needed to get out on loan. The lad is regressing here at a rate of knots and I don't see that changing over the next six months. We've completely failed him by not finding him somewhere to play regularly, imo.

Smallwood should have gone as well but I appreciate that may have been difficult given he doesn't seem that keen to go. Probably knows he won't get anything close to this kind of contract again. Samuel not good enough even as a sub for me, should have been moved on if at all possible. No point having him and Brereton here wasting away.

To me it feels like we have a very dysfunctional transfer policy with people in charge who aren't doing anywhere close to a good job. I would argue that since we were promoted from League 1 our business has been mostly abysmal. Some decent loan signings here or there but few if any proper success stories as far as permanent transfers go. Downing and maybe Rothwell at a stretch. Can't remember if Arma was signed before we were promoted but was brought in on loan assumedly with a view to sign in L1 so I'd still count him essentially as pre-promotion transfer business.

I have no faith in Mowbray and Venus anymore as far as transfer dealings as concerned. Making no comment on the footballing side of things, but they shouldn't be heading our recruitment going forward. We need better if we're going to seriously progress.

It could be better, but that ain't happening whilst Mowbray is here. If we collapse like last season,he can have no excuses. He believes in the group etc. So let's see how it goes. Disappointing though. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Are you the same person who half an hour ago accused me of being negative about everything because I suggested Atsu was a non starter and a waste of time?

You say that about every signing. You said we wouldn't spend 5 million last season. You always say we won't spend

It's very disappointing now. That's all I can say. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It could be better, but that ain't happening whilst Mowbray is here. If we collapse like last season,he can have no excuses. He believes in the group etc. So let's see how it goes. Disappointing though. 

I'm more concerned about next season in all honesty. We'll finish somewhere around mid-table this season which some will see as a success if it's an improvement on last season, but it feels like we have a lot to do in the summer and with Mowbray and Venus at the helm again for recruitment I'm really concerned. They are not the right people for this job. If only we had proactive owners with a finger on the pulse. Three successive transfer window failures would surely not be seen as acceptable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Agree but what does business is done mean? There hasn't been any effing business 

Exactly. Having us on. I'd have a lot more respect for Waggott and Mowbray if they just admitted there's no cash and signings were dependent upon outgoings and generosity from other clubs on loans.

Instead they persist with this charade of pretending there's money but there is some elaborate principled process to go through whilst hiding behind Ffp rules.

The realists on here knew what would happen this window because we recognise how these things go. It is almost step by step identical to last January when we were in the same position. We then didn't win again for about 2 months.

• Like 3