GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

14 minutes ago, Amo said:

People seem shocked we didn’t sign anyone? :blink: Some of us knew this entire thread was a massive waste of time.

Surely we all knew nothing would happen? Anyone that genuinely believed we'd sign anyone give your head a wobble. A loan perhaps but even that was a stretch after "I can't negotiate" gate. 

Tony Mowbray and every other clown in a position of power at Rovers is the level we operate at. Blackburn Rovers 2020.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The whole transfer window fabricated excitement is a bit sick inducing if we are being honest. Jim White and his tie, the Lancashire Telegraph running a whole day of regurgitated titbits in a live commentary, people stalking footballers social media, clubs uploading cryptic videos about players that are already obviously joining rather than just announcing them, supposed ITK's getting their kicks releasing "information" without naming the player and getting people worked up into a frenzy.

As you say, it never looked remotely likely that we would sign anyone.

Nailed it 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rich must be on the board. Hi Rich. 

The only club in the league not to make a signing. Is that right?

Screenshot_20200131-183109_Twitter.jpg

It's becoming obvious that this is a mounting problem. Wonder if Sharpe will have the guts or permission to ask TM about this, or whether it'll be glossed over as per usual? 

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Exactly. Having us on. I'd have a lot more respect for Waggott and Mowbray if they just admitted there's no cash and signings were dependent upon outgoings and generosity from other clubs on loans.

Instead they persist with this charade of pretending there's money but there is some elaborate principled process to go through whilst hiding behind Ffp rules.

The realists on here knew what would happen this window because we recognise how these things go. It is almost step by step identical to last January when we were in the same position. We then didn't win again for about 2 months.

I think they have said that they wanted to stay within the Ffp regulations and that breaking them wasn't an option.  Personally, I think that is the right decision at the moment.  The whole Ffp situation needs to be looked at because it clearly isn't working.  It was meant to stop clubs going to the wall but Bury have gone, Bolton are destined for League Two and Macclesfield, Southend and a number of others are surviving on a wing and a prayer.  At the other end of the scale it favours those clubs coming out of the Premier League because they have two or three years to get back knowing they have the financial advantage over a number of the clubs in the Championship like Rovers.  

Looking at the financial statement released last month, it's clear that our wage bill is already unsustainable.  Once Dack and Evans were injured - the best hope of a sale ended and with Mulgrew coming back I think it was clear from what Mowbray has said on a number of occasions that the likelihood of a signing was remote.

The one plus is that there is now no option but to blood one or two of the youngsters if we get hit by more injuries and suspensions.  We are spending £3 million plus a year on the youth set up so hopefully it will start to pay dividends.  It was always Jack's dream for the Academy to help the club become self-sustaining but I'm not sure how realistic that is.  Nonetheless, we have some very promising young players who are of an age when they need to step up if they are going to make it.

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Surely we all knew nothing would happen? Anyone that genuinely believed we'd sign anyone give your head a wobble. A loan perhaps but even that was a stretch after "I can't negotiate" gate. 

Tony Mowbray and every other clown in a position of power at Rovers is the level we operate at. Blackburn Rovers 2020.

And yet despite that there are people on here who think the likes of Hughton and Pulis can hardly wait to get in through the door to take over as manager. They never learn.

The upside is that the youngsters like Rankin-Costello will get plenty of chances :)

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Dack is out for 12 months I believe, so we're probably looking at closer to a November/December return for him unfortunately. We're likely to play half of next season without Dack as well as the rest of this one. That's a scary thought.

Brereton doesn't even play Rothwell's position naturally so this really shouldn't be a consideration. It is because of square peg round hole syndrome but we've already seen Brereton is not effective at all playing Rothwell's role. Gallagher too, although I would guess he's now nailed on to start there in Rothwell's absence.

There's no guarantee that Dack will reach the heights he has previously. That's not a good injury.

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Brereton doesn't even play Rothwell's position naturally so this really shouldn't be a consideration. It is because of square peg round hole syndrome but we've already seen Brereton is not effective at all playing Rothwell's role. Gallagher too, although I would guess he's now nailed on to start there in Rothwell's absence.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Mowbray clearly signed him to play in that weird striker on the wing-role he likes to employ. We're much more likely to see him there than as the lone striker. 

Edited by Commondore

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I think they have said that they wanted to stay within the Ffp regulations and that breaking them wasn't an option.  Personally, I think that is the right decision at the moment.  The whole Ffp situation needs to be looked at because it clearly isn't working.  It was meant to stop clubs going to the wall but Bury have gone, Bolton are destined for League Two and Macclesfield, Southend and a number of others are surviving on a wing and a prayer.  At the other end of the scale it favours those clubs coming out of the Premier League because they have two or three years to get back knowing they have the financial advantage over a number of the clubs in the Championship like Rovers.  

Looking at the financial statement released last month, it's clear that our wage bill is already unsustainable.  Once Dack and Evans were injured - the best hope of a sale ended and with Mulgrew coming back I think it was clear from what Mowbray has said on a number of occasions that the likelihood of a signing was remote.

The one plus is that there is now no option but to blood one or two of the youngsters if we get hit by more injuries and suspensions.  We are spending £3 million plus a year on the youth set up so hopefully it will start to pay dividends.  It was always Jack's dream for the Academy to help the club become self-sustaining but I'm not sure how realistic that is.  Nonetheless, we have some very promising young players who are of an age when they need to step up if they are going to make it.

A voice of sanity at last.

The Atsu-deal has been of for a while with Newcastle confident a club would take his wages. But clubs seems to be doing a Rovers and refusing to pay the whole salary. Rovers have come with an offer of what they can offer and it's all up to Newcastle.

The only thing thats weird is that this offer seem to be exactly the same offer Newcastle turned down a few weeks ago. So it appears that Rovers have offer the max of what the can right away.

As an option they could offer loan with option to buy, but Mowbray will prefer to wait because of the price.

Edited by Dave574

Just now, briansol said:

The upside is that the youngsters like Rankin-Costello will get plenty of chances :)

And everyone who goes on about how Chapman is our salvation will be put to the test...

Just now, Commondore said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Mowbray clearly signed him to play him in that weird stringer on the wing-role he likes to squeeze in. We're much more likely to see him there than as the lone striker. 

Sadly you're right, although I still don't think we'll see much of Brereton anyway. Most likely it'll be Gallagher directly replacing Rothwell, with Arma or Graham taking the striker position. This is problematic in of itself as Gallagher can't really play that position well either. Very few of the strikers Mowbray have signed can, which begs the question of why he keeps doing it.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Dack is out for 12 months I believe, so we're probably looking at closer to a November/December return for him unfortunately. We're likely to play half of next season without Dack as well as the rest of this one. That's a scary thought.

Come on, you know it - Bennett out of position is a Mowbray shoe in.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

And yet despite that there are people on here who think the likes of Hughton and Pulis can hardly wait to get in through the door to take over as manager. They never learn.

Can't argue with that. We are where we are because of our rat owners. I don't even blame Mowbray, he's simply inept and I think quite possibly has an IQ less than 100, but means well, in a simple kind of way. 

Lads lads it's all alright

Mulgrew can play left back, bell can play winger

Mowbray will make it work

Twitter and BRFCS in absolute meltdown, along with every other social media platform I presume.

Mowbray getting absolute pelters, yet hardly a single mention of the word VENKYS. 

It’s about time people concentrated on the cause, not the symptoms.

Piss poor as I called it would be at the start of January. We’re an absolute joke when it comes to January transfers. Piss up and brewery spring to mind - guess we just don’t want to give promotion a shot.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

19 minutes ago, Amo said:

People seem shocked we didn’t sign anyone? :blink: Some of us knew this entire thread was a massive waste of time.

No Amo the thread was never a waste, We all know this is a place to vent anger. More like:

some of us know Tony Mowbray is a massive waste of time. Ok so I'm playing with words but I'm only doing what Rovers manager has been doing for the last 6 weeks 😩

58 minutes ago, Commondore said:

Every club where a player has been between the ages of 12-23 gets to share 5 % when he generates a transfer sum. In other words, we'd be getting a bit of compensation, but nowhere near £5 million.

It depends on the deal we agreed with Bournemouth. If a player is under 24 and moves to a team in the same country then the clubs have to agree a fee if a fee is not agreed then it goes to a tribunal but in this case we negotiated a deal with Bournemouth.

Just now, Miller11 said:

Twitter and BRFCS in absolute meltdown, along with every other social media platform I presume.

Mowbray getting absolute pelters, yet hardly a single mention of the word VENKYS. 

It’s about time people concentrated on the cause, not the symptoms.

You aren't wrong, but just for once it would be nice to have a manager who simply tells it like it is. Granted these managers would likely not come in the first place or be gone in six months Lambert-style, but it's been nearly a decade of this shit now and it's really, really getting old.

Its passed on. It  is no more! This thread  has ceased to be! Its expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX THREAD.

...and as several of us predicted.  Bugger all happened.

Goodnight.

Well although disappointed I think this is the best thing that has happened. We are destined for mid table full stop. Mowbray has wasted no more money on projects and bench warmers. We can use the under 23s and give them experience.

hopefully in summer we can revamp the squad and have a new man at the helm with a bit of freedom to do this without being hindered by Mowbray signings.

8 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I really can't understand why we didn't even enquire about Maddison! Surely he is the type of player we need!!!

Tony can't manage him. He's a rebel with  earphones, ripped jeans and tattoos.  He only wants passive, son-in-law types.

8 minutes ago, briansol said:

Would have been nice to make a signing or two, but I think this squad is going places - even with the injuries it currently faces.