BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Walton did well again today it would have been four or five if not. 

Think i'd prefer better the devil you know if we got him, surely we can get 3 million back on Brereton to buy him instead..................?

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nixon reckon that we will sign Sunderland keeper in summer as new number 1. I don't know much about his performances at Sunderland

Lets hope he is typically wrong if that is the standard of goalkeeper we want to push us into the Premier League!

Just now, tomphil said:

Think i'd prefer better the devil you know if we got him, surely we can get 3 million back on Brereton to buy him instead..................?

If we had a half-decent scouting network, we could pick up someone equally good as Walton for peanuts.

• Like 2

The January transfer window was just yet another item in the list of failures this season.

We are now seeing the result of that failure to add depth, let alone strengthen. Lenihan being out and relying on a loanee and a full back (and no adequate rb cover) was not a risk that couldn’t have been reasonably foreseen. Ultimately that has cost us but equally, our inability to mitigate that using the development squad is a double-whammy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amo said:

If we had a half-decent scouting network, we could pick up someone equally good as Walton for peanuts.

I certainly wouldn't pay silly money and big wages for him but i feel it wouldn't be money wasted if we do sign him. If TM and co are let loose in the desperate hunt for a keeper i feel money IS about to be wasted again.

I've little to no faith in this fella when a decent wedge is available to spend.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

I certainly wouldn't pay silly money and big wages for him but i feel it wouldn't be money wasted if we do sign him. If TM and co are let loose in the desperate hunt for a keeper i feel money IS about to be wasted again.

I've little to no faith in this fella when a decent wedge is available to spend.

Depends how much we have to play with in the summer. I'm guessing not a lot. 

I'm sure there's plenty of older, dependable keepers on the continent if we did our homework.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Depends how much we have to play with in the summer. I'm guessing not a lot. 

I'm sure there's plenty of older, dependable keepers on the continent if we did our homework.

Homework and this lot clearly don't really go together when it comes to buying players. They seem to do ok with the loans so best bet is probably on that score. Then waste half a season to bed them in and find out how best they gel......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Homework and this lot clearly don't really go together when it comes to buying players. They seem to do ok with the loans so best bet is probably on that score. Then waste half a season to bed them in and find out how best they gel......

Yeah, it sounds like basic stuff like scouting and negotiation are a big kerfuffle for Mowbray and his boys.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amo said:

Yeah, it sounds like basic stuff like scouting and negotiation are a big kerfuffle for Mowbray and his boys.

Same old excuses, club demanding too much ( we knew that ), wages demands too big ( other clubs then pay it ), dressed wrong won't fit in with the group ( how does he actually know this ? )

But when it comes to the little black book, old boys network, right agents then suddenly all that goes out the window.

• Like 2

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Poor for the second goal should have done much better, made a couple of standard saves but nothing major.

Still he’s not a cause for concern at the moment 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The January transfer window was just yet another item in the list of failures this season.

We are now seeing the result of that failure to add depth, let alone strengthen. Lenihan being out and relying on a loanee and a full back (and no adequate rb cover) was not a risk that couldn’t have been reasonably foreseen. Ultimately that has cost us but equally, our inability to mitigate that using the development squad is a double-whammy.

The biggest failures were in the summer ....Not enough defenders acquired , the Mulgrew farce after playing the 1st game ...Signing another non scoring forward ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Poor for the second goal should have done much better, made a couple of standard saves but nothing major.

Still he’s not a cause for concern at the moment 

Be fair he was no worse than the casual defending in front of him and he saved a one on one you'd have expected them to score. Tipped another one from a good reflex save and the free kick second half.

I think 50 percent of goals scored anywhere fall into the 'could have done better' category it always looks easy from the side. 

• Like 1

Walton would be a decent signing for me. Not brillant but best keeper we've had in a while.

Where we've messed up is £12m for Brereton and Gallagher and no defenders or wide players.

Reckon it isn't going to change though. Tony seems absolutely wedded to the idea of playing strikers on the wing despite it clearly not working. It's as if to move away from it is to admit personal defeat.

I fully expect us to sign two more strikers with no scoring record and no defenders in the summer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's as if to move away from it is to admit personal defeat.

This and the mulgrew debacle shows how secure he feels in his position.   Nobody seems to be checking him and calling into question what everyone on here is asking.  Far too powerful and in my opinion nice old Tony is taking the club and fans for a ride.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

This and the mulgrew debacle shows how secure he feels in his position.   Nobody seems to be checking him and calling into question what everyone on here is asking.  Far too powerful and in my opinion nice old Tony is taking the club and fans for a ride.

The Smallwood situation as well and i fully expect Samuel to be lavished a new deal before the end of the season.

This is why i simply refuse to believe if he asked for decent money for defenders he was turned down. He's the Mowfather at Ewood he even has his own flag half the size of the pitch !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mulgrew was a total and utter liability so I can see why he was moved on and frozen out.

I think Mowbray's trying to force him to make a move to save on the contract. But equally Mowbray offered him the contract. So the in the situation all roads lead back to the manager making an error.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Mulgrew was a total and utter liability so I can see why he was moved on and frozen out.

I think Mowbray's trying to force him to make a move to save on the contract. But equally Mowbray offered him the contract. So the in the situation all roads lead back to the manager making an error.

But of course. He's not far off being blamed for Covid-19 on here. 

When he offered him the contract,nobody had any complaints about it. Things change and he was allowed leave on loan. The intention was he wouldn't come back, but Mulgrew changed his mind ,which he is entitled to do. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can you explain why? 

Maybe he would be a good signing, but a player who will be 33 soon after the season starts with such an underwhelming CV is hardly cause for much optimism.

Based on the source, its very unlikely anyway. 

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe he would be a good signing, but a player who will be 33 soon after the season starts with such an underwhelming CV is hardly cause for much optimism.

Based on the source, its very unlikely anyway. 

Yes you wrote Downing off last summer and look at how that turns out. So maybe not be so quick to judge. 

I don't think its top signing but he has plenty of experience which is what we want and playing regularly. 33 years old is very young for a keeper. 

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you wrote Downing off last summer and look at how that turns out. So maybe not be so quick to judge. 

I don't think its top signing but he has plenty of experience which is what we want and playing regularly. 33 years old is very young for a keeper. 

Very young is a bit of a stretch and I also thought Johnson was going to be a really good signing which he hasnt been at all.