BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

9 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I hope my initial feeling is as accurate as when Souness brought in some reserve goalie from Liverpool years ago. I was not impressed when I heard that news.

Completely unrelated stat, but David Raya had made more career starts whilst he was still at Rovers than Brad had made in his entire career before moving to Ewood. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Sunderland fans views on Jon Mclaughlin. Generally regarded as decent for them, would be missed but replaceable. No-one seems to be suggesting he would be great in the Championship.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/jon-mclaughlin.1516241/

I saw him once a year ago. I was impressed on that one showing. Would I sign a player off one showing, no, not unless it was Pele. I'd have definitely watched him again though. Maybe we have.

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I hope my initial feeling is as accurate as when Souness brought in some reserve goalie from Liverpool years ago. I was not impressed when I heard that news.

Not sure there's any comparison. 

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I saw him once a year ago. I was impressed on that one showing. Would I sign a player off one showing, no, not unless it was Pele. I'd have definitely watched him again though. Maybe we have.

Christ, I bloody hope so if we are planning to sign him! ?

Edited by bluebruce

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, The Canadian isn’t even close to being back up quality. I’d have no issue with him as second choice, but just knowing how this club operates if Walton leaves and he does comes in that will in all likelihood be that.

He will almost certainly be first choice. It’s Groundhog Day just with an even lower calibre candidate than Walton.

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

A question I've not seen being asked, with everyone focused instead on the contract situations for those expiring, and how/when/if to restart the season... is the transfer window going to just open again when it usually does, even if the season restarts late enough that clubs could buy or lose, even loan players in the closing stages of the season with everything on the line?

(Obviously I know nobody here has the answer to whether it actually will or not)

I can’t see how any clubs would buy players when the window opens when they don’t know if/when the season will start.

I expect these are the kinds of question driving the ‘need’ for spectatorless matches.

Wes foderingham released by Rangers. Sure we were linked with him in the past. Know little about him, but would he be a better bet than mclaughlin. Made nearly 150 apps for Rangers, but not convinced the opposition he faced is any better than league 1

• Like 1

Clubs budgets set in the summer will probably be part used to square off what's left owing from this season. Plus plugging other gaps and paying back extra short term borrowing.

All depends on where Vs stand on this and what shape their spare cash for next season's budget is in.

Would be nice to able to get back the wasted 7 million. That's never happening so more than likely we'll be selling a few of our good young players cheap just to get by. If there's any buyers that is.

Edited by tomphil

Rangers have announced that Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan have both been released. Flanagan looked very good when he broke through at Liverpool and he’s only 27. Wonder if he could be an option at full back for us. I don’t know a great deal about Halliday. Maybe someone with a bit more Scots football knowledge can add something. 

53 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Rangers have announced that Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan have both been released. Flanagan looked very good when he broke through at Liverpool and he’s only 27. Wonder if he could be an option at full back for us. I don’t know a great deal about Halliday. Maybe someone with a bit more Scots football knowledge can add something. 

Flanagan is a good shout. He can play in either fullback position. Would defo have him at LB. Think he suffered a lot of injuries despite a promising start for Liverpool. Judging from Rangers, fans, his first season was a little up and down but he ended strongly to keep the shirt over that of Halliday (another FB). They say he has struggled with weight and a few niggling injuries. 

Edit; Actually after reading this post on the 6 players departed where he barely gets a mention (until page 3) above the others - might be best to avoid. 

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/wes-halliday-flanagan-holt-rossiter-alnwick-all-leaving.121249/page-3

Should be all over Foderingham on a free though.

Edited by JacknOry

Most likely outcome is some sort of extension to the transfer window, or potentially not having a window and just leaving this open until next calendar year when things return to normal. Again, we'll be dictated by the Premier League, who'll be dictated by other European leagues, who are dictated by politicians. The sentiment that nobody will buy is only true for now, as we don't know if and when a 20/21 season will begin/take place. But once a date is set, and the rules & regs of a transfer window are put into place by the powers that be, I can't imagine many clubs will remain completely inactive. 

We're no more under the bus than anybody else, and once the time frame is clearer I can imagine quite a bit of transfer movement. PL clubs will still spend, which in turn will allow for some spend at our level. When the likes of Said Benrahma go for £20m and Brentford suddenly have a money pot, buy a Darragh Lenihan for £10m and suddenly Rovers have a money pot, we buy whoever and so on and so on... spending power returns.

It'll trickle down if given enough time, but again it depends on what the Premier League do. I guess for now we're all just looking up at them and waiting for them to make some sort of decision. Whether you agree or disagree with the Bundesliga restarting and the Germans decision to do things the way they've done them, at least they took decisive action early on.

I would expect the summer Transfer window to be August to End of September. 

I would some PL clubs to spend money. Whether they will look to the British market and Championship market for signings. 

I wouldn't be surprise if Dack move on this summer. 

I would be looking to keep Lenihan(who I make Captain), Travis and Armstrong at all cost. 

But getting the end of this season sorting is the main priority

Dack is still months off full fitness, I dont see many teams signing a player still to recover from such a bad injury. Plus hes our best player.

Surely any clubs cant wrecklessly still spend loads of money in the current situation. You cant complain about the dinancial impact of coronavirus then go around signing players for big money. Hopefully at least reduce the furore around the silly event that deadline day has become.

Suspect that we might sign a couple of cheap freebies to fill gaps and little else. Sub par players like Bell and Samuel will be given an extra year I am sure. With at least half of next season behind closed doors it is little to get excited about signing players we wont see!

• Like 3

I'd be tempted to let anyone out of contract go to be honest.

Next season will be like glorified training games anyway, I think it would be a good time to promote more from the under 23's.

Give more game time to JRC, Buckley, Chapman, Davenport, Butterworth, and promote people like Thompson, Mols, Carter to the fringes of the side.

It might just stand them in good stead to when we get going properly again.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Next season will be like glorified training games anyway, I think it would be a good time to promote more from the under 23's.

Give more game time to JRC, Buckley, Chapman, Davenport, Butterworth, and promote people like Thompson, Mols, Carter to the fringes of the side.

Absolutely, and I think there's several players like Gallagher, Brereton, Walton, Nyambe & Rothwell who without a doubt will perform better without the pressures of a live crowd. We've got a side full of players like that who seem to be scared of the big occasion. (Nyambe much less so this season for sure)

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack is still months off full fitness, I dont see many teams signing a player still to recover from such a bad injury. Plus hes our best player.

Surely any clubs cant wrecklessly still spend loads of money in the current situation. You cant complain about the dinancial impact of coronavirus then go around signing players for big money. Hopefully at least reduce the furore around the silly event that deadline day has become.

Suspect that we might sign a couple of cheap freebies to fill gaps and little else. Sub par players like Bell and Samuel will be given an extra year I am sure. With at least half of next season behind closed doors it is little to get excited about signing players we wont see!

We don't know the full story on Dack fitness. But Given the transfer window is likely 3 or 4 months away You have no idea on his fitness but He has been working hard he keeps posting on Instagram.

No you cant going around spending money for big money but if you are an owner of a club and have the money to invest in the club then this would be good time to get promotion. Almost buy the promotion

I would expect Bell will get a extension but after that who knows. But we need finish this season 1st and see where we before thinking after summer recruitment.  

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't know the full story on Dack fitness. But Given the transfer window is likely 3 or 4 months away You have no idea on his fitness but He has been working hard he keeps posting on Instagram.

No you cant going around spending money for big money but if you are an owner of a club and have the money to invest in the club then this would be good time to get promotion. Almost buy the promotion

I would expect Bell will get a extension but after that who knows. But we need finish this season 1st and see where we before thinking after summer recruitment.  

we will get players from the north east simples.

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Very interesting point regarding the approach. As you say, when games become glorified friendlies surely developing players becomes more of a priority.

I suppose that the problem for us is that we have voids in our squad in 3 positions in terms of not having players contracted to play in net and at left back next season, and we only have 2 centre backs, one of whom is Derrick Williams. As much as we lack natural wingers and perhaps up front with Gallagher and Brereton misfiring, those sorts of problems can no longer be prioritises to strengthen and indeed become luxuries we almost certainly cannot afford. I wouldnt be surprised to see Bell and Leutwiler given deals just because its the easiest choice but I hope not and surely there are better players even on a free than those 2.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Absolutely, and I think there's several players like Gallagher, Brereton, Walton, Nyambe & Rothwell who without a doubt will perform better without the pressures of a live crowd. We've got a side full of players like that who seem to be scared of the big occasion. (Nyambe much less so this season for sure)

It seems a little bit presumptuous IMO to assume that all of them players are hamstrung by playing in front of crowds, Brereton for example has been pretty dismal in basically every game, horrendous v Birmingham in front of a nearly empty stadium but having the best game of his career against Arsenal on TV in front of a big crowd. And i think Nyambe has just progressed from the nervy player we initially saw. But to be fair players incapable of playing in front of crowds are of no use to us anyway.

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dack said yesterday that he is targeting to be back for the start of the 20-21 season, whenever that is, but with money presumably in short supply across the country, I can't see a queue of teams spending big money on a player not fully recovered from such a serious injury. Lets hope we see him in a Rovers shirt again.

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

It might look and feel like training games Mark but with relegation still possible clubs will still need to have one eye on the prize. That said, the players you mention could well step up.

I’m certainly not looking forward to crowdless football in the meantime, although I do wonder if iFollow will be made available for all games to UK viewers - or if Sky would block it.

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack said yesterday that he is targeting to be back for the start of the 20-21 season, whenever that is, but with money presumably in short supply across the country, I can't see a queue of teams spending big money on a player not fully recovered from such a serious injury. Lets hope we see him in a Rovers shirt again.

If the season does finish End of July/Mid August then the New Season will probably start Mid October as I guess I would imagine. But lets finish this season 1st. 

Money short? These PL football clubs are owned by Billionaires and the 3 teams from Championship who get promotion will have a shed loads of cash to spend. Plus the 3 clubs that come down. 

Rovers are owners who are wealthy so it will be interest what they do. Plus will FFP be scrap?

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

With at least half of next season behind closed doors it is little to get excited about signing players we wont see!

Unless you don't have a telly/computer, I expect you'll be able to see them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Weird thing to say, the season will still count, and have promotion and relegation. If we can invest in a promotion push it's paramount that we do.

Agree the youngsters should get more game time, certainly rather than just padding with 'squaddies' (possibly goalkeeper aside).

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Weird thing to say, the season will still count, and have promotion and relegation. If we can invest in a promotion push it's paramount that we do.

Agree the youngsters should get more game time, certainly rather than just padding with 'squaddies' (possibly goalkeeper aside).

We won't be investing in a promotion push this year, I think we can safely all agree on that.

Yes fair enough it will all still count, but I can't say I will care as much watching behind closed doors football. I imagine there will be plenty in the same boat too.

I think investing more time in the youngsters now is the perfect time if everything is behind closed doors, if someone exceptional like a Downing pops up on a free for the GK or CH position and we can realistically get them then fair enough.