GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why I mention to yourself during that summer about not over judging players on the back some fans opinions. Mowbray and his staff knew their wanted a ball playing centre back last summer

It was general point about fans trusting their manager and recruitment staff cos of the amount of scouting that clubs do. Wasn't just talking about Rovers but you look at someone like Brentford or Leeds. and the amount of researching and scouting that goes into the scouting players. 

Not sure about next season behind closed doors will be at this stage as we don't even know when the season will start, When the season will start and what the current situation is with a vaccine or treatment then

Some clubs will be skint but we wont be. We have wealthy owners

My point in a discussion to another poster was that loan players, even recent successful examples have been signed and trusted to fill positions with no previous senior experience to back up the risk. It wasnt even a criticism, yet again you have barged in with a defensive attitude. 

If your mentality is to blindly not critique/judge and just assume that Mowbray is signing the right players, or indeed that any person is, that is fine, but other people will. 

Regarding this example, we signed a player and doubts were raised about someone with no senior experience as a centre back and with only a shaky spell at right back on his CV to come in and fix a woeful defence from the previous season. Regardless of the success that he has been, those doubts were very valid and very constructive and understandable.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point in a discussion to another poster was that loan players, even recent successful examples have been signed and trusted to fill positions with no previous senior experience to back up the risk. It wasnt even a criticism, yet again you have barged in with a defensive attitude. 

If your mentality is to blindly not critique/judge and just assume that Mowbray is signing the right players, or indeed that any person is, that is fine, but other people will. 

Regarding this example, we signed a player and doubts were raised about someone with no senior experience as a centre back and with only a shaky spell at right back on his CV to come in and fix a woeful defence from the previous season. Regardless of the success that he has been, those doubts were very valid and very constructive and understandable.

I agree with most points. A manager should not be lauded as a genius after a good signing. The same as he shouldn’t be scathed after a bad signing. But what I do think a manager should be berated for is persevering with mistakes to save face.

Just now, rigger said:

I agree with most points. A manager should not be lauded as a genius after a good signing. The same as he shouldn’t be scathed after a bad signing. But what I do think a manager should be berated for is persevering with mistakes to save face.

Agreed. Also a players time here or anywhere else may not necessarily follow logic but it does not make them initial constructive views, hopes and fears to be necessarily unfounded or indeed unfair.

Stewart Downing joined with Boro fans seemingly happy to see him go, having not played for the last half of a season, and when he has played in the last few years his productivity seemed to have been on the wane.

Adarabioyo as mentioned came in to plug a huge hole that we needed to get right, having played no real senior football at centre back and on the back of a shaky loan spell playing at right back.

Bradley Johnson meanwhile came in off the back of a crucial role in a Derby side that made the play off final and with a stellar CV in Championship terms. The vast majority saw it as a great signing.

Sam Gallagher was a player of mixed opinions but many got hope from an ok loan spell when he was younger.

As it has turned out, Downing has been our best player, Adarabioyo has slipped into the back 4 like a glove, Johnson has been particularly underwhelming and unable to nail down a regular spot, and Gallagher has been absolutely dismal.

On 28/05/2020 at 17:28, arbitro said:

I wasn't aware that any staff at Rovers have been furloughed. My point was more generalised for all of football.

The difference between the companies you mention is that they won't be spending money on transfer fees. Furlough has been a really good scheme but if football clubs  (or any businesses) abuse it they should be punished.

Another way of looking at it is that signing a player is a form of capital investment for a football club. I’m sure plenty of companies that have furloughed staff will keep investing in an effort to stay competitive with their rivals. Are football clubs any different?

36 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Another way of looking at it is that signing a player is a form of capital investment for a football club. I’m sure plenty of companies that have furloughed staff will keep investing in an effort to stay competitive with their rivals. Are football clubs any different?

Athletic Bilbao rarely pay transfer fees due to their policy of only signing basque players. Never been relegated from La Liga. I'm not interested in a "locals only" policy but with FUP what's the point in spending transfer fees? Sign players with edgier personalities, give them freedom and who's to say it wouldn't work? Bilbao manage it with such a limited catchment area compared to all of Europe like most clubs have. You could also have a policy of only signing young players on lengthy contracts. If they refuse to play at some point sue the hell out of them. Nobody would join under such circumstances? Who knows? Clubs should do things on their own terms only (those not crippled by FUP aside) and sometimes that's worth more than any transfer fee. 

1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

Athletic Bilbao rarely pay transfer fees due to their policy of only signing basque players. Never been relegated from La Liga. I'm not interested in a "locals only" policy but with FUP what's the point in spending transfer fees? Sign players with edgier personalities, give them freedom and who's to say it wouldn't work? Bilbao manage it with such a limited catchment area compared to all of Europe like most clubs have. You could also have a policy of only signing young players on lengthy contracts. If they refuse to play at some point sue the hell out of them. Nobody would join under such circumstances? Who knows? Clubs should do things on their own terms only (those not crippled by FUP aside) and sometimes that's worth more than any transfer fee. 

didn't Gordon Lee have a similar policy?

23 hours ago, rigger said:

didn't Gordon Lee have a similar policy?

What policy was that? He had a "no stars" policy at Newcastle/Everton but that was in a higher division. 

6 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

What policy was that? He had a "no stars" policy at Newcastle/Everton but that was in a higher division. 

I am sure I read somewhere that He preferred his players to be Northerners

Lyle Taylor has told Charlton he's leaving, we should get him straight away. Quality player. But, seeing as we've spunked 12m on shyte, cant see the Venkys funding that.

32 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Lyle Taylor has told Charlton he's leaving, we should get him straight away. Quality player. But, seeing as we've spunked 12m on shyte, cant see the Venkys funding that.

Why?, he would seem to have a loyalty problem.

Not interested in that , he scores goals.  We are a much bigger club than Charlton and we need a quality striker to replace DG

26 minutes ago, rigger said:

Why?, he would seem to have a loyalty problem.

Loyalty, professional football.... chuckle.

OIP.tBdZULjEB2M3hPot0OepqwHaE7?w=300&h=1

9 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Loyalty, professional football.... chuckle.

OIP.tBdZULjEB2M3hPot0OepqwHaE7?w=300&h=1

I wish Brereton and Gallagher had loyalty issues and fecked off quick smart.....

43 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not interested in that , he scores goals.  We are a much bigger club than Charlton and we need a quality striker to replace DG

Hence Charlton doing so well

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Hence Charlton doing so well

76 goals in 190 games over the last few seasons (injuries have played a part). Worth a punt I'd say.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

76 goals in 190 games over the last few seasons (injuries have played a part). Worth a punt I'd say.

Not in the present circumstances, I'd say.

Personally I would go down the route of trying to get in coaches, that will get the best out of what we have already got.

Edited by rigger

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I would go down the route of trying to get in coaches, that will get the best out of what we have already got.

You can't polish a turd, mate.

29 minutes ago, rigger said:

Definitely some merit in that. Just hope we haven’t missed the boat...

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You can't polish a turd, mate.

You can with shellac and the right skills.

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

You can with shellac and the right skills.

I mean, look what the Ginger Mourinho gets out of that shower, over at 't turd...OIP.LlxxkAMWREfk8PU6BMDgUAHaFj?w=278&h=2

I know nothing about him other than he’s second choice at Rangers in the pub league but I see Wes Foderingham is out of contract

Sure I recall us being linked with him a year ago will be interesting to see if we go back in as back up / competition  

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I know nothing about him other than he’s second choice at Rangers in the pub league but I see Wes Foderingham is out of contract

Sure I recall us being linked with him a year ago will be interesting to see if we go back in as back up / competition  

I remember Di Canio hanging him out to dry a few years ago.....I think it was di canio 

Posted (edited)

Sensible considering his performances this season and with money at a premium. The one player out of contract who desperately needs to stay.

Graham is an interesting one, I think ordinarily he would need to go, but with the cost of the pandemic hitting and the alternatives being Gallagher and Brereton we may have little choice but to sign him up.

Bell, Smallwood, Samuel and Leutwiler should be let go for sure.

Edited by roversfan99