BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

I suspect that the priority of any transfer window will have shifted from development and evolution to a conserve and make do approach considering the current economic climate.

I suspect that we may be open to selling one or two to claw some of the deficit back but I can only see Premier League clubs being in a position to spend, mainly the top ones and I dont think that any of our assets, an injured Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe, Armstrong or Travis would be on the immediate radars of Premier League clubs.

I suspect that we will plug the gaps left by Adarabioyo and Walton with cheap freebies, perhaps Sunderlands keeper or players of that ilk, Mowbray will be typically considerate with new deals, with dross like Bell, Leutwiler and Samuel kept to keep the numbers up, and positions that would have been necessitys to improve, notably left back and out wide will become luxuries that we cannot afford.

• Like 1

We need to keep Armstrong, Lenihan and Travis IMO. 

I think Dack might want to leave in the summer. Got 2 years left on his contract. So could get a decent fee(15 mil) for him. Will West Brom come back for him? 

Will FFP rules be scrap this summer? 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Dack might want to leave in the summer. Got 2 years left on his contract. So could get a decent fee(15 mil) for him. Will West Brom come back for him? 

Nobody is spending £15m on Dack this summer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont think we will get close to 15m for someone still out with a serious knee injury especially in this climate. Nor do I see him being able to push for a move too hard, I doubt he has got itchy feet during his rehab.

The likely buyer would have tended to be a promotion chasing Championship club and I cant see any Championship clubs spending much money this time.

Lets also not have short memories. Dack is as important to us as any player, such a consistent contributor of goals. Hes our best player.

Edited by roversfan99

if FFP stay in place then we will have to sell someone or 2. 

I think someone like WBA might still be interested and maybe a couple of other clubs in Dack. No one can say Dack isn't an important player for us. But FFP rules might force us to sell him. I am massive fan of Armstrong and him playing up front who has performed and been excellent for us in that position. I would build my team around him, Travis and Lenihan. Would I want to sell Dack? No I wouldn't but FFP rules have to be met sadly if they stay in place. 

I don't know what our owners will do money wise. I don't know what alot of other owners will do. 

Just pleased we got the academy and good prospects coming through. Plus hopefully this overseas scouting works and come to the front need. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

if FFP stay in place then we will have to sell someone or 2. 

I think someone like WBA might still be interested and maybe a couple of other clubs in Dack. No one can say Dack isn't an important player for us. But FFP rules might force us to sell him. I am massive fan of Armstrong and him playing up front who has performed and been excellent for us in that position. I would build my team around him, Travis and Lenihan. Would I want to sell Dack? No I wouldn't but FFP rules have to be met sadly if they stay in place. 

I don't know what our owners will do money wise. I don't know what alot of other owners will do. 

Just pleased we got the academy and good prospects coming through. Plus hopefully this overseas scouting works and come to the front need. 

I think you are underestimating the financial situation again. Its ok us being willing to sell Dack but most Championship clubs make considerable losses even in normal circumstances so if you think one is gonna chuck 15m at an injured player then you will be surprised. Even the lower Premier League clubs would struggle to afford that in these circumstances and im not sure he would appeal to Prem teams especially considering his injury.

We can have all of these supposedly saleable assets but im not sure if the teams that these players will appeal to will be able to anytime soon. Its not going to be a normal transfer market.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would say we need 2 keepers, 1 centre back, 1 left back maybe 2 if Bell contract isn't renewed, 1 right winger this summer or whenever the transfer window is

Curtis Jones fills none of those positions.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If anyone offers 15 mil for Dack, I would snap their hands off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Curtis Jones fills none of those positions.

He fills the wide left role. Is Mowbray moving Rothwell to the right wing. I don't know what Mowbray's plans was with trying to sign him. 

But now non story

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are underestimating the financial situation again. Its ok us being willing to sell Dack but most Championship clubs make considerable losses even in normal circumstances so if you think one is gonna chuck 15m at an injured player then you will be surprised. Even the lower Premier League clubs would struggle to afford that in these circumstances and im not sure he would appeal to Prem teams especially considering his injury.

We can have all of these supposedly saleable assets but im not sure if the teams that these players will appeal to will be able to anytime soon. Its not going to be a normal transfer market.

I understand the financial situation fine thanks. WBA wanted Dack before he got injured. Most PL clubs have wealthy owners so can invest in their clubs if they chosen to. Clubs with Wealthy owners will spend big as always. 

Ideally I think we need more than that even. We definitely need 2 keepers. We only have Lenihan and Nyambe contracted as good Championship defenders next season, plus Williams who is below average but ok as a body as cover for LB and CB. I would say a starting CB and LB plus another CB as we have seen in the last 18 months how irreplacable Lenihan is to us. Right back is an area we could do with cover too as we only have Nyambe who can do a job there competently. Central midfield and number 10 are positions we are well stocked in. Out wide we have no one who has proven their worth there, with Downing more useful centrally now. And up top with Graham very much on the wane and Gallagher and Brereton as much use as a chocolate tea pot, we only really have Armstrong.

It wouldnt be a realistic expectation to adequately sign 2 goalkeepers, a full back 4, 2 wingers and a forward at the best of times though, even if things were normal.

I suspect an added knock on effect will be the interest in free agents may increase with teams unable to pay fees. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/156-championship-players-who-free-4135583.amp

There are some useful frees to be had, players like Daniel Ayala and Lyle Taylor but I dont think theres any chance of getting players like that now.

He fills the wide left role. Is Mowbray moving Rothwell to the right wing. I don't know what Mowbray's plans was with trying to sign him. 

But now non story

I understand the financial situation fine thanks. WBA wanted Dack before he got injured. Most PL clubs have wealthy owners so can invest in their clubs if they chosen to. Clubs with Wealthy owners will spend big as always. 

Some of them are not going to be as wealthy in the near future.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But now non story

They were linked in the rumour mill but its a different ball game now anyway. They are I think signing Pereira and Krovinovic permanently so dont need him. And 15m in this market with his knee is dreamworld stuff. Cant see a Prem team signing him and certainly not at 15m. Lets hope we will see him in person in a Rovers shirt again.

And regarding moving Rothwell. Where does Gallagher play? Mowbray loves him wide.

Edited by roversfan99

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They were linked in the rumour mill but its a different ball game now anyway. They are I think signing Pereira and Krovinovic permanently so dont need him. And 15m in this market with his knee is dreamworld stuff. Cant see a Prem team signing him and certainly not at 15m. Lets hope we will see him in person in a Rovers shirt again.

And regarding moving Rothwell. Where does Gallagher play? Mowbray loves him wide.

That's down to Mowbray. 

They had Pereria and Krovinovic before and still want him. 

Rumour mill? 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Ideally I think we need more than that even. We definitely need 2 keepers. We only have Lenihan and Nyambe contracted as good Championship defenders next season, plus Williams who is below average but ok as a body as cover for LB and CB. I would say a starting CB and LB plus another CB as we have seen in the last 18 months how irreplacable Lenihan is to us. Right back is an area we could do with cover too as we only have Nyambe who can do a job there competently. Central midfield and number 10 are positions we are well stocked in. Out wide we have no one who has proven their worth there, with Downing more useful centrally now. And up top with Graham very much on the wane and Gallagher and Brereton as much use as a chocolate tea pot, we only really have Armstrong.

It wouldnt be a realistic expectation to adequately sign 2 goalkeepers, a full back 4, 2 wingers and a forward at the best of times though, even if things were normal.

I suspect an added knock on effect will be the interest in free agents may increase with teams unable to pay fees. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/156-championship-players-who-free-4135583.amp

There are some useful frees to be had, players like Daniel Ayala and Lyle Taylor but I dont think theres any chance of getting players like that now.

Taylor being linked with Rangers and some PL clubs

We need 2 keepers, 2 left backs if Bell doesn't re sign, 1 centre back maybe 2, 1 right winger. 

From that free agent list I would at Ayala(centre back at Boro), Blackett(left back at Reading). Would be the only 2 I look at to be honest. 

I wonder if we go foreign market mostly for signings due to cost and wages

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need 2 keepers, 2 left backs if Bell doesn't re sign, 1 centre back maybe 2, 1 right winger.

Doesn’t sound like a club that has been building for the future!

Also need to replace Danny Graham.

So to sum up, we have a couple of centre midfielders, one left winger, one centre back and one right back. And no goalkeepers!

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Doesn’t sound like a club that has been building for the future!

Also need to replace Danny Graham.

So to sum up, we have a couple of centre midfielders, one left winger, one centre back and one right back. And no goalkeepers!

Well not at all. We have Armstrong, Lenihan, Travis, Nyambe, Buckley, Rothwell. Plus good young prospects coming through from under 18's. Maglorie needs to develop for us. 

We all know what happened with the goalkeeper situation last summer regarding Raya's replacement. 

We need an experience keeper plus a number 2 keeper, 1 first team centre back and left back, back up centre back, 1 right midfielder. Back up left back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's down to Mowbray. 

They had Pereria and Krovinovic before and still want him. 

Rumour mill? 

Yeah we dont know if there was any truth in the rumour. Possibly not. But if they did have an interest the whole framework has changed. Hes had and still has a serious injury. The whole financial framework of football has been changed by the pandemic in a negative way. West Brom will almost certainly be playing Premier League football rather than trying to get promoted from the Championship. And this season Pereira and Krovinovic has established themselves as very talented players who will sign permanently. 4 major reasons why thinking that they will stroll in with 15 million desperate to take Dack is naive in the extreme.

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Taylor being linked with Rangers and some PL clubs

From that free agent list I would at Ayala(centre back at Boro), Blackett(left back at Reading). Would be the only 2 I look at to be honest. 

I wonder if we go foreign market mostly for signings due to cost and wages

To be honest I think nit picking over positions is a pointless conversation, to expect a normal summer squad overhaul is not going to happen in the current climate. Its a patch the gaps as best you can job.

Having Bennett as sub right back when he plays is often as good as a goal head start for the opposition. No one in the past 2 years has done anything to suggest they are the answer out wide either. They would have had to be looked at had it been a normal summer. Youd prefer Williams covering left back over Bemnett covering right back. 

Ultimately Mowbray has made some very shrewd short term signings since promotion. Adarabioyo, Reed, Cunningham, Walton, Downing, Johnson and Holtby all improved our team. Luckily we have some good players developed internally, Lenihan, Travis and Nyambe, because his longer term signings bar Armstrong have bombed as @Stuart touches on. Rothwell flatters to deceive, Chapman and Davenport have vanished and the less said about the main 2 the better.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody is going to chuck £15 million at Dack unless they've seen him play again to at least the level he was at before the injury.

I think Dack needs to sign a new deal, we've paid him through his injury and made him.  He needs to get us a decent fee if he is going.

He played wide left against Everton in the FA Cup. Dont have to be left footed to play from The left midfielder. 

That's because top quality was in the middle.

If, and it's a big big if, he came here he should play in.the middle.  And actually he didn't play wide left, the left back does that for Liverpool..he was inside left.

Edited by Sparks Rover