GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Mowbray wanted to sign Ayala at Boro. Line the deal up. But was sacked at Boro before it happened

30 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Ayala would be class but may be out of our wage budget, anyone know if he played under TM at somepoint?

He joined Middlesbrough as TM left, but TM was the one who organised the deal apparently.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've never said a war chest would be available tho K-Hod. I would expect a sale of one or two of these players like Armstrong, Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis to suit the FFP rules. Mowbray need to smart and clever in the transfer market. Will we focus move on the foreign market? I not expecting millions spend on one player. It will low fee signings, loans and frees if we can with the FFP rules. We need the EFL to sort out whether the FFP rules will be relax or rid off. 

Any salary cap wouldn't come in but be phase in over a couple of seasons. 

Are the FFP rules going to be relaxed? 

I see Chelsea want Brentford's Benrahma for 30 million pounds plus Arsenal and Leicester. So that's will allow Brentford to spend on players. 

This is the worst time in years to sell one of our key assets, in terms of the market. (Apart from when we were in league one)

We would get far below the usual prices.

Edited by bluebruce

Sound a bit of a bad apple by all accounts when things are not going well. How did he get passed the TM good blokes test?

Forget Ayala those wages would be huge. Il throw a name about Bailey Wright went up with pne became a no nonsense type centre back went to Bristol city for 3.5 million finished last few months of the season at Sunderland racking up the motm awards. He’s on a free this summer, Australian international, I’d suggest that would be more realistic if we even actually do look at anyone.

Hes a free agent, very injury prone and had to go into League 1 to get game time but as you say I suspect he is far more realistic.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes a free agent, very injury prone and had to go into League 1 to get game time but as you say I suspect he is far more realistic.

I think the drop down was because he went there injured. Back issue. 100 appearances at this level in 4 years isn’t too bad for someone who found themselves 4th choice at Brizzle and the aforementioned details.

Jack Baldwin available on a free from Sunderland, more like our budget. 26 year old central defender who has been steady in many years. But Ayala would be a class signing and a captain material...

Just now, neophox said:

Jack Baldwin available on a free from Sunderland, more like our budget. 26 year old central defender who has been steady in many years. But Ayala would be a class signing and a captain material...

Was Baldwin at Peterborough? It's an okay deal for free I guess but nothing like a replacement for Tosin.

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Not sure hes good enough for us. 

2 hours ago, neophox said:

I’m pretty sure he’s been awful over the last couple of season, makes loads of mistakes unless I’m thinking of the wrong player. 

Would steer well clear, we need much better.

13 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I’m pretty sure he’s been awful over the last couple of season, makes loads of mistakes unless I’m thinking of the wrong player. 

Would steer well clear, we need much better.

Think that’s him. Pretty much got chased out of the side by the fans. Looked a shell of a man as a result in the documentary.

Jackson Irvine left Hull on a free.

Pretty well stocked in that area & obviously wouldn't get in front of Travis, but still a good player at this level even if Hull have been appalling since January.

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

"If we had a half decent recruitment team he is easily replaceable"

Most comments on there seem to be about the overall situation and their issues with ownership, but that is hardly a glowing endorsement.

Then again, a League 1 keeper who has spent part of this season out of this team due to poor form, with an underwhelming CV and soon to be 33, I am not sure we can expect miracles.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

"If we had a half decent recruitment team he is easily replaceable"

Most comments on there seem to be about the overall situation and their issues with ownership, but that is hardly a glowing endorsement.

Then again, a League 1 keeper who has spent part of this season out of this team due to poor form, with an underwhelming CV and soon to be 33, I am not sure we can expect miracles.

Mowbray is a miracle worker with goalkeepers! Getting rid of Raya (one if not the best keeper in the Championship) and then loaning a keeper who's not better than Raya. Then signing a keeper who can't get into a mid table league 1 side. Confident he will be an insane signing.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray is a miracle worker with goalkeepers! Getting rid of Raya (one if not the best keeper in the Championship) and then loaning a keeper who's not better than Raya. Then signing a keeper who can't get into a mid table league 1 side. Confident he will be an insane signing.

Raya certainly isnt the best goalkeeper in the Championship, and to be fair the Championship has very decent goalkeepers in it. Undoubtedly talented but far too eccentric and error prone at the moment. A good goalkeeper is one that breeds confidence and often one that is seldom noticed, Raya is the opposite of that. Walton is steadier, less talented but also makes less dramatic errors. Made quite a few mistakes of lesser profile but ones that led to goals in the first half of the season, but was much improved if nothing special as the season progressed. Take your point about loaning him in though for sure. 

I think with McLaughlin, ultimately had we not been amidst a pandemic, it would have been a very underwhelming addition. With no money around, it may at best turn into an understandable one.

He was the number 1 for the most part at Sunderland aside from a spell earlier in the season when his form dipped. Was key to their side that made the play off final the year prior. Hardly a glittering CV though!

I think Samba at Forest is the best keeper in the league personally.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya certainly isnt the best goalkeeper in the Championship, and to be fair the Championship has very decent goalkeepers in it. Undoubtedly talented but far too eccentric and error prone at the moment. A good goalkeeper is one that breeds confidence and often one that is seldom noticed, Raya is the opposite of that. Walton is steadier, less talented but also makes less dramatic errors. Made quite a few mistakes of lesser profile but ones that led to goals in the first half of the season, but was much improved if nothing special as the season progressed. Take your point about loaning him in though for sure. 

I think with McLaughlin, ultimately had we not been amidst a pandemic, it would have been a very underwhelming addition. With no money around, it may at best turn into an understandable one.

He was the number 1 for the most part at Sunderland aside from a spell earlier in the season when his form dipped. Was key to their side that made the play off final the year prior. Hardly a glittering CV though!

I think Samba at Forest is the best keeper in the league personally.

Walton's errors in the first half of the season were as numerous as Raya's or moreso, but without the brilliant saves to compensate. How spectacular the blunders are is irrelevant because they still shipped goals. He has improved a lot but still doesn't reach the shots Raya can stop at times. Would ditch him to have Raya back in a shot.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Walton's errors in the first half of the season were as numerous as Raya's or moreso, but without the brilliant saves to compensate. How spectacular the blunders are is irrelevant because they still shipped goals. He has improved a lot but still doesn't reach the shots Raya can stop at times. Would ditch him to have Raya back in a shot.

I definitely dont think that anyone could claim IMO that Raya is the best keeper in the league, far too many calamtious mistakes.

Comparisons with Walton are natural, overall I felt at the point of lockdown I felt much more confident with Walton rather than the eccentric Raya, comparing the overall season of Walton back to Raya might come down to personal preference as I was Waltons biggest credit considering the quantity of mistakes he made, but lets not forget the numerous mistakes that Raya made, the nightmare he was coming for crosses.

To be fair, the standard of keeping across the Championship is really poor, even at the top end. 

FFP rules relaxed for a season to help with the Covid effect on finances. Let’s see how deep those pockets are, no excuses now. 

39 minutes ago, J*B said:

FFP rules relaxed for a season to help with the Covid effect on finances. Let’s see how deep those pockets are, no excuses now. 

Let's see what we spend now. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, J*B said:

Is this from UEFA? Does that effect teams in EFL?

Edited by chaddyrovers