BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest I have seen nothing from him to suggest that hes anywhere near being able to make a breakthrough.

Which part of the post did you disagree with? He definitely needs to toughen up in a lower league but I can see the paralells of the risk of falling between the cracks of regularly just making the 18 (often his appearances seem to be from the sake of it) so as a result not even playing reserve football against kids.

He needs to go to Conference North on loan for 6 months or a full season. Come back stronger and more conditioned to play.

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He needs to go to Conference North on loan for 6 months or a full season. Come back stronger and more conditioned to play.

Glad you're not in charge of our loan policy. Conference North!! What an utter waste of time that would be. The lad has several Championship appearances now and is very highly rated by the senior staff. He might be lightweight, but if we can't get him at the very very least a League Two loan then serious questions need to be asked. I'd say a lower half League One side shouldn't be a problem.

Players who drop from our level to Conference North at 20 years old are never seen again.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Glad you're not in charge of our loan policy. Conference North!! What an utter waste of time that would be. The lad has several Championship appearances now and is very highly rated by the senior staff. He might be lightweight, but if we can't get him at the very very least a League Two loan then serious questions need to be asked. I'd say a lower half League One side shouldn't be a problem.

Players who drop from our level to Conference North at 20 years old are never seen again.

Strange, I know an 18 year old at PNE who gets on the bench every now and then, he's been at Lancaster on loan, it's very common as aL2 manager wouldn't want him in the team.  Bradford Park Ave are another good club for loaning kids to harden them up...

He wouldn't get a game in League 2 or 1,, not big enough 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Strange, I know an 18 year old at PNE who gets on the bench every now and then, he's been at Lancaster on loan, it's very common as aL2 manager wouldn't want him in the team.  Bradford Park Ave are another good club for loaning kids to harden them up...

18 is very different to 20 in terms of youth development.

I'm certain a League Two manager would be interested. Sam Hart has been to League One on loan (twice?) and doesn't get near the team for our weakest position.

There is this misconception that the lower down the leagues you go, the more the players automatically become big brutes. It's not true, they're just less technically talented so the games are more kick and rush. One player with more technique and the ability to thread a killer pass can make a real difference.

All of this aside though, I'm amazed how thin we've let Buckley continue to be at 20. The sports science and nutrition should be all over bulking him up. Maybe his body just isn't taking to any of that until his metabolism slows.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I'm certain a League Two manager would be interested. Sam Hart has been to League One on loan (twice?) and doesn't get near the team for our weakest position.

There is this misconception that the lower down the leagues you go, the more the players automatically become big brutes. It's not true, they're just less technically talented so the games are more kick and rush. One player with more technique and the ability to thread a killer pass can make a real difference.

All of this aside though, I'm amazed how thin we've let Buckley continue to be at 20. The sports science and nutrition should be all over bulking him up. Maybe his body just isn't taking to any of that until his metabolism slows.

This 18 year old is better than buckley.

34 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

This 18 year old is better than buckley.

Doesn't really change anything I said if he is. All the more reason he can jump from conference (presumably when he was 17?) to Championship bench, whereas you're asking for Buckley to jump from Championship to conference north. I just can't see why we should or would do that. You obviously don't rate Buckley, and that's fine, I'm not at all bowled over yet. But if we are gonna send him to that level we might as well say to him 'you're not gonna make it' and terminate his contract.

8 hours ago, Swanson said:

Clicked on the link and for a split second saw the name Megan Fox which for some reason made me very excited

?

Definitely need a left back and keeper in January. 

Is there any decent players in the prem who aren’t getting a look in and could perhaps arrive on loan? Something similar to what Villa did with Mings? Fulham the other year with Mitrovic?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Just because he is lightweight doesn't mean he couldn't have an effect at league one or two level.

When he has been spoken about by Mowbray and the other coaching staff they always mention how he always seems to have time on the ball and in space.

I'm not saying he is going to be a superstar and I'm not saying he will definitely make it, but if we are to let him leave on loan it will be to league one or two level not to conference north, might aswell release him or sell him if we are sending him down to that level when he has been making the bench and getting a few minutes at championship level 

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

I'm not saying he is going to be a superstar and I'm not saying he will definitely make it, but if we are to let him leave on loan it will be to league one or two level not to conference north, might aswell release him or sell him

Not at all. You don't understand the loan system and how league clubs use the non league clubs.  Rovers are miles behind other clubs in terms of development.  We don't have any link ups with local non league clubs, where we can loan on a adhoc basis and pull back as required without having to enter into loan agreements. 

I'm not saying he's shyte by suggesting conference north, it will do him the world of good to get down and dirty for a few months.

3 hours ago, CraigF said:

Definitely need a left back and keeper in January. 

Is there any decent players in the prem who aren’t getting a look in and could perhaps arrive on loan? Something similar to what Villa did with Mings? Fulham the other year with Mitrovic?

Whilst I agree on the LB and GK front, I do think a striker who could regularly find the back of the next (i.e. a younger Graham), would be the difference between us reaching the play-offs and not. Gallagher has improved over the past few weeks but he's never going to score consistently.

Completely acknowledge that a) everyone is looking for one and b) they're not cheap. But if the V's are going to back Tony, then that would make the biggest impact for me. No 'promising youngster' either, we've enough of those - a PL striker on loan would be ideal. Kodjia or Gayle maybe? Be competition for both but for me we should be throwing our hat in the ring if players like this come up.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not at all. You don't understand the loan system and how league clubs use the non league clubs.  Rovers are miles behind other clubs in terms of development.  We don't have any link ups with local non league clubs, where we can loan on a adhoc basis and pull back as required without having to enter into loan agreements. 

I'm not saying he's shyte by suggesting conference north, it will do him the world of good to get down and dirty for a few months.

I just don't see the club sending a player who has been in and around the first team squad down as far the conference to continue his development and I would agree with that.

I would think he would have interest at league one level and would send him there to see how he gets on 

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Kodjia or Gayle maybe?

no chance of either coming here. Wages would be problem. 

Plus IMO we don't need another striker. keep playing Gallagher. 

on Buckley, He wont be going to the bloody conference league even if he went on loan somewhere. I wouldn't send him on loan anywhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Players are people some will not develop physically until their early 20's, take harry winks for example. Some just never develop physically.

Buckley I would keep around Brockhall and monitor his physical progress and let him play under 23 games to get football. Rankin-Costello should replace him on the bench, he ready to play league football now and his versatility makes him easier to use of the bench. Butterworth should go out on loan to league 1 or 2 and get game time as there are two many players in front of him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Wow. Just wow!

Confused. If Wow means that John Buckley is ready to be starting games for our first team, then you can wow all you want and I'll never agree with you. If wow means I'm being harsh saying he's more likely to go the way of Willem Tomlinson rather than Lewis Travis.. then I can kind of see your point, and maybe it's a harsh comparison. 

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Confused. If Wow means that John Buckley is ready to be starting games for our first team, then you can wow all you want and I'll never agree with you. If wow means I'm being harsh saying he's more likely to go the way of Willem Tomlinson rather than Lewis Travis.. then I can kind of see your point, and maybe it's a harsh comparison. 

Never mind start games, hes nowhere near ready to be a sub for us to be honest. Your Tomlinson comparison seemed more to do with falling between the cracks of the subs bench and as a result no reserve football and I agree hence why I feel that he should spend the second half of the season in the lower leagues.

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think you (and a few others) are being very harsh Joe. No one has seen enough of Buckley to make that type of judgement. The “wow” was because I cannot believe how quickly our supporters are to write off their own. I rarely see that level of criticism for academy stars at other clubs.

I said in the summer exactly what the club thought of Buckley. That has stood up as he is the only one close to breaking through in spite of chatter around Magloire, JRC and Butterworth etc...

The club 100% see Buckley as the next big thing. He hasn’t got into his stride yet but they believe he will. At 19 or whatever I’m willing to give him another year or two and trust the professionals before I write the poor lads career off ??

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The club 100% see Buckley as the next big thing. He hasn’t got into his stride yet but they believe he will. At 19 or whatever I’m willing to give him another year or two

I agree... I don't know what makes you think I don't. I said that unless he's either given more game time, or gets to at least play 23's matches he will stagnate. He's either not ready or he is ready, and the club need to decide that for him and for Joe Rankin-Costello soon, because having them sat in purgatory, playing for neither the first team or the second just hinders them both. Just like Willem Tomlinson in the end.

And JRC is close, travels as the 19th man to most away games now.

Edited by JoeH

https://www.google.com/amp/s/the72.co.uk/151927/blackburn-rovers-poised-to-snap-up-19-year-old-irish-starlet/amp/

Underwhelming and hardly a concrete source, but here it is anyway.

Even for the youth team, a 19 year old with a single first team appearance for the mighty Waterford is less than exciting.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think you (and a few others) are being very harsh Joe. No one has seen enough of Buckley to make that type of judgement. The “wow” was because I cannot believe how quickly our supporters are to write off their own. I rarely see that level of criticism for academy stars at other clubs.

I said in the summer exactly what the club thought of Buckley. That has stood up as he is the only one close to breaking through in spite of chatter around Magloire, JRC and Butterworth etc...

The club 100% see Buckley as the next big thing. He hasn’t got into his stride yet but they believe he will. At 19 or whatever I’m willing to give him another year or two and trust the professionals before I write the poor lads career off ??

The thing is, you are claiming insider knowledge which is all well and good but everyone else is judging based on what theyve seen for the first team, and sadly everytime that he has featured, he has looked well off the pace and too lightweight. I think from memory he has started twice, once v Oldham when he was totally ineffective, and once v Millwall when he was taken off at half time.

He is a young lad with his career ahead of him, at a time when we are supposedly pushing for play offs and need every point, we can not afford passengers,  

It is not writing a player off to suggest that he is nowhere near ready for the first time and needs loaning out. If he can impact games at a lower level then of course re-evaluate in the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Regardless of whether or not I have insider knowledge, no one In here (inc me) has seen enough of John Buckley to judge him properly. Interesting that he’s the one they constantly select though. Ever wondered why they rate him so highly?

Because training is less physical than competitive Championship games?

And no I'm not one of the 'snipers'. I just think he doesn't look ready yet and could do with a few months out on loan to prepare him for trying again next season.

Edited by bluebruce