BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

7 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Any centre half we sign, be it on loan or permanent will need to accept they are coming in as backup/injury cover.

With the prospect of fist team football when Tosin leaves in the summer though?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

well if Chapman had perform and show the correct attitude in January then maybe he would have started games. 

Lets see who we target/sign first before we see if there is an improvement

He's performed well in the U23s. Mowbray just saw fit to play ineffective players like Samuel or a 6ft 3  £5m striker out on the wing instead. My attitude would stink too in those circumstances, especially with being left chomping at the bit after lengthy injuries.

• Like 2

i don`t think mowbray will pick chapman however well he plays,he`s not his type of player,not defensively inclined and to much of a maverick,likely to give mowbray nightmares,why he signed him is a question id`e love to know,surely he`s worth a place on the bench to bring on for the last 20 minutes against a tiring defence

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He's performed well in the U23s. Mowbray just saw fit to play ineffective players like Samuel or a 6ft 3  £5m striker out on the wing instead. My attitude would stink too in those circumstances, especially with being left chomping at the bit after lengthy injuries.

Well the games I've seen of the under 23's games I've not been impressed. 

People like @Parsonblue, @JoeH and @Stuart have seen more of the under 23's than more this season

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the games I've seen of the under 23's games I've not been impressed. 

People like @Parsonblue, @JoeH and @Stuart have seen more of the under 23's than more this season

My parents go to every home game. They say he has had a good impact in most games.

Back to his omission though, facts are, Mowbray can't pick shite players out of position for the best part of a year, then criticise the attitude of players who he hasn't given anything like the fair crack of the whip to. Rothwell was another obvious choice that was overlooked and treated unfairly in terms of the criticism aimed at him in the press and how quickly he was dropped...yet TM consistently picked unfit players like Johnson and is kinder with his criticism of the experienced pros.

Despite very recent results, I for one am not buying into the Mowbray love in just yet. I've ranted about his failings for at least 12months and if anything, he has cost us a shit load of points and a heck of a lot of ground on the automatic spots with his ridiculous selections. I hope I am wrong but history suggests tinkering and a long run of draws and defeats are around the corner.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t think mowbray will pick chapman however well he plays,he`s not his type of player,not defensively inclined and to much of a maverick,likely to give mowbray nightmares,why he signed him is a question id`e love to know,surely he`s worth a place on the bench to bring on for the last 20 minutes against a tiring defence

My thoughts exactly. Surely having him on the bench makes sense. Instead, he travels around with the squad as an expensive waterboy.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I don't really buy this. We play Armstrong on the wing virtually every game and he is abysmal defensively.

10 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Makes no sense, Williams has performed better in the middle than at left back - although Tosin & Lenihan are undoubtedly our strongest pairing.

Any centre half we sign, be it on loan or permanent will need to accept they are coming in as backup/injury cover.

Left back I'm not sure, will he stick with Downing and Bell as back up?

If we're signing a keeper he needs to be an immediate, experienced upgrade.

The way I see it either Tosin or Williams can play with Lenihan, but if Lenihan gets injured we're buggered. Why? Because Lenihan is committed and gets his head on the ball no matter what, whereas the other two want to play more of a luxury role.

We need a second CB s solid as Lenihan, because if Darragh gets injured there is no chance of playoffs.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The way I see it either Tosin or Williams can play with Lenihan, but if Lenihan gets injured we're buggered. Why? Because Lenihan is committed and gets his head on the ball no matter what, whereas the other two want to play more of a luxury role.

We need a second CB s solid as Lenihan, because if Darren gets injured there is no chance of playoffs.

Who's Darren?

7 hours ago, ossyian said:

On 23 July you quoted " JRC is the big mover of the summer. He is the one that has really put himself in the first team squad picture" ?????

Argh...that’s so out of context. Buckley is the chosen one. But yes, JRC was the big mover by the end of the summer because he’d gone from long term injury to potential first team in such a short space of time. TM and Jonty were pleasantly surprised. He’d travelled the furthest at that point...from obscurity to forefront 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Find Mowbray and Waggotts buzz word of "depth" and discussion of players not coming straight into the team a little strange, January is the month to sign players to have an immediate impact to push you towards where you want to be. We want players of first team quality to come in and improve us.

I know why they talk about it. It’s because they don’t want to piss the lads off who’ve done well. If you put yourself in the players shoes and think that by playing well the club will smell blood around promotion and simply replace you then where’s your incentive to play well? But if the club provides ‘additional quality’ and ‘depth’ then essentially they are helping you to achieve your personal and the teams collective goal. It’s pure psychology.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. January signings should, in the main be to make an immediate boost / impact to the team and results. If we hit Jan 1st in 3rd place and unveiled Ruddy, Cooper, Friend and a loan move for Brewster then I would put decent money on us finishing in the top 6. Those players would bring immediate benefit.

What I think is more likely is a push on outgoings, perm and loans for Samuel, Hart, Smallwood, Gladwin, Chapman and Davenport. Then a couple of signings, possible foreign (though I think Friend has to be in their mind) before one last attempt at a forward on loan. The stars of the U23’s May be allowed to move on dependant on what positions we recruit in I’d guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't really buy this. We play Armstrong on the wing virtually every game and he is abysmal defensively.

Ehhhh? Abysmal? Iv never seen a flying right winger track back as much in my life? The difference between him and Rothwell over 90 minutes is proof enough. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

A few sunny days in South Portugal for the staff I would guess... The whole trip sounds similar to a stag do I once went on! ?

Or maybe they will unearth the next Ruben Neves...?

If they were interested in a Tondela player it was probably the goalkeeper Claudio Ramos. He's one of the best in Portugal and out of contract in June. However he's very similar to Raya which would tend to discount this.

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

Not going to turn another thread into Harry Chapman because one or two will moan, and at this point rightly so, but Harry Chappy and performing well in the Under 23's isn't a post I can agree with. Wouldn't be against Dominic Samuel getting a game like Ben Brereton did though.

I'm fairly pleased to read an article about us scouting in Portugal. At least we're finally hearing some hard fact proof that this European Scouting Expedition exists - it's just whether that translates. Look at Wolves, Leeds, Norwich... you HAVE to get the foreign players in. Kilch, Pukki, Neves etc...

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I know why they talk about it. It’s because they don’t want to piss the lads off who’ve done well. If you put yourself in the players shoes and think that by playing well the club will smell blood around promotion and simply replace you then where’s your incentive to play well? But if the club provides ‘additional quality’ and ‘depth’ then essentially they are helping you to achieve your personal and the teams collective goal. It’s pure psychology.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. January signings should, in the main be to make an immediate boost / impact to the team and results. If we hit Jan 1st in 3rd place and unveiled Ruddy, Cooper, Friend and a loan move for Brewster then I would put decent money on us finishing in the top 6. Those players would bring immediate benefit.

What I think is more likely is a push on outgoings, perm and loans for Samuel, Hart, Smallwood, Gladwin, Chapman and Davenport. Then a couple of signings, possible foreign (though I think Friend has to be in their mind) before one last attempt at a forward on loan. The stars of the U23’s May be allowed to move on dependant on what positions we recruit in I’d guess.

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Ehhhh? Abysmal? Iv never seen a flying right winger track back as much in my life? The difference between him and Rothwell over 90 minutes is proof enough. 

Well it will just give players an added incentive to maintain their current performances if there is an additional threat of us improving the team externally which should always be a threat for a team trying to continually improve. As you say, we agree that is an immediate impact we need, cant see us signing more than 1 or 2 maximum, I just hope they can make an immediate impact.

Definitely agree on the need to trim the squad, although its always easier said than done to get rid of players like Smallwood and Samuel who havent played any football recently and for whom only League 1 clubs you would think would be interested, but could they afford their wages? Would loan out Buckley who as I've said needs to toughen up and prove that he can impact games, whereas for us he weakens us at this present moment when he comes on. The likes of Rankin Costello, Chapman and Davenport could also do with regular game time elesewhere as they will only stagnate if they are limited to under 23 football.a

Have to definitely disagree on Armstrong, he is far slower running back and often can be quite lazy. Look at goals away at West Brom and QPR when he ambles back with no urgency. Rothwell has actually been doing his defensive graft more lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You have a very short memory my friend....

They're scouting first team players. I feel that comparing this trip to the Kean Portugal Bonzanza is a little unrealistic. 

22 minutes ago, skous18 said:

It seems like Liverpool ve bought Minamino for £7 mil. from Salzburg. 

We gave similar money for both Brereton and Gallagher. Crazy

Yup, but the £100k+ a week prob makes a difference. Plus an 8 figure agent fee for getting it done ?

• Like 4