Jump to content
GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Dack being out means he HAS to meddle. Something has to change as Dack has been first choice for the last 3 years. Our team is built around Dack.

I read someone criticising Mowbray for simply listing the players who could play in the no10 role. 

Might be worth waiting to see what side Mowbray picks and the subsequent results. I prefer Holtby to Buckley right now.

 

He doesn’t have to “meddle”, he just needs to replace Dack - and from the ranks by the sounds of it. One of Rothwell, Holtby or Buckley - none of whom are regulars - now needs an extended spell at number 10 in a team resembling the one he left unchanged for that excellent winning spell when he dropped Bennett and played everyone in their strongest position. Sadly it looks like Bennett is now back but not even on the right of midfield where is performs best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Lol. Rovers paid £7m for potential.

Sends out entirely the wrong message if we buy Brereton and sell Buckley. Buckley looks to have a thousand times more potential than Brereton. At least he looks like a footballer.

Personally I’d by happier if we sold Brereton “with all his potential” for £3m and cut our losses: “not a good fit at Blackburn” could be the rider.

But please stop touting our best development players Mani. The only person I’ve heard making any noise about Buckley leaving is you!

I’m not touting anyone Stu. I’m not involved in football and have zero influence. More importantly I’m a Rovers fan.

But I know the club are aware of the interest and that there could be bids for him this Jan. I thought that was worthy of note to most Rovers fans. Obv not you pal. No problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’m not touting anyone Stu. I’m not involved in football and have zero influence. More importantly I’m a Rovers fan.

But I know the club are aware of the interest and that there could be bids for him this Jan. I thought that was worthy of note to most Rovers fans. Obv not you pal. No problems. 

Lol. I didn’t mean literally touting. But I’ve nothing from anyone else but you that there is interest. From the number of posts about it, it would seem it is an open secret but they are all by you!

Nice passive aggressive finish though. 🙌🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

He doesn’t have to “meddle”, he just needs to replace Dack - and from the ranks by the sounds of it. One of Rothwell, Holtby or Buckley - none of whom are regulars - now needs an extended spell at number 10 in a team resembling the one he left unchanged for that excellent winning spell when he dropped Bennett and played everyone in their strongest position. Sadly it looks like Bennett is now back but not even on the right of midfield where is performs best.

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody is spending "8 figures" on John Buckley in January, you don't have to be "ITK" or work in football to work that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Lol. I didn’t mean literally touting. But I’ve nothing from anyone else but you that there is interest. From the number of posts about it, it would seem it is an open secret but they are all by you!

Nice passive aggressive finish though. 🙌🏻

Touché 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Nobody is spending "8 figures" on John Buckley in January, you don't have to be "ITK" or work in football to work that out.

If they decide they want him then £10m is a basically a free transfer for these boys. I hope they don’t. If they do, I hope we turn them down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

By replace, I mean his position. He isn’t the only player who can play the “hybrid” role (aka number 10).

It might just be a chance for Rothwell or Holtby to shine further forward.

No player is bigger than the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

@Madon have you got any news regarding transfers that might lift the gloom setting upon this site? 

Sorry, my source no longer tells me anything because I kept putting it all on here 🙈 

If I was to guess, I'd say numerous outgoings will happen next month and no incomings apart from maybe Cunningham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Madon said:

Sorry, my source no longer tells me anything because I kept putting it all on here 🙈 

If I was to guess, I'd say numerous outgoings will happen next month and no incomings apart from maybe Cunningham.

Is the Cunningham deal done? I’ve missed that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

I do agree with your comments on Dack, he's unique in the way he plays that role. We certainly can't replace him like for like.

Buckley and Holtby as wide midfielders who tuck in didnt really work on boxing day but needs to be worked on I guess, if thats the way he wants to play I feel like we need to commit to it with those players and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

Is the Cunningham deal done? I’ve missed that one

Just a guess on my part. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, never mind then. TM just said there is no money for a replacement. Which pretty much means we will slug through the rest of this season and possibly get relegated the next. You know, unless Brereton starts playing like Ronaldo or some nonsense like that.

The only hope is Venkys dont pull the plug before Dack is back in top form.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Well, never mind then. TM just said there is no money for a replacement. Which pretty much means we will slug through the rest of this season and possibly get relegated the next. You know, unless Brereton starts playing like Ronaldo or some nonsense like that.

The only hope is Venkys dont pull the plug before Dack is back in top form.

 

I’m not sure he said that. What I think is obvious is that we don’t have £10m plus to replace him in Jan.
 

In context, they will have allocated cash for the window. Targeting a keeper, lb and possibly a cb based on previous reports. So they will absolutely have to offload some wages to make space imo for a PL loan of a forward.

 

Edited by Paul Mani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madon said:

Sorry, my source no longer tells me anything because I kept putting it all on here 🙈 

If I was to guess, I'd say numerous outgoings will happen next month and no incomings apart from maybe Cunningham.

Ooosshh. That's not what I wanted to hear!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

In context, they will have allocated cash for the window. Targeting a keeper, lb and possibly a cb based on previous reports. 

 

That was said 12 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What were Peter Reid and Joe Royle doing at our game the other night? I can only think that it was business rather than pleasure.

Scouting?

Also, regarding Brereton, I was trying to think who would actually want to take him on loan? - It would have to be a struggling team of a lower standard with the money to at least pay some of his wages. I could only really come up with Sunderland.

Go on Tony, stop being such a wuss, get on the blower to your neck of the woods.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF Tosin goes back to city / elsewhere than that is definitely play-off push over (I’ve never been convinced it was on to be honest). That doubled with Dack’s injury would leave us severely lacking at both ends of the pitch.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If they decide they want him then £10m is a basically a free transfer for these boys. I hope they don’t. If they do, I hope we turn them down...

I'd take 10m for a player who cant make the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Husky said:

What were Peter Reid and Joe Royle doing at our game the other night? I can only think that it was business rather than pleasure.

Scouting?

They're on the staff at Wigan.

Were they at the Brum game, too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I'd take 10m for a player who cant make the team.

Anybody offers that he'll be gone

I remember Rovers having a similar young player called David Helliwell in the 1960's just after we were relegated from the First Division. He was a local lad who was a really nice footballer, he could beat people and he had a good eye for a pass. The hope was he would replace Bryan Douglas as the midfield playmaker because Bryan was coming to the end of a great career. He was the MOTM in his debut game and he really looked the part. Unfortunately he was only about 5' 8" tall and at the most 9 stone wet through. I've no doubt the club did their best to build him up but he was always that weight. He fell into the trap of being not strong enough to play in midfield and not fast enough to play on the wing. Eventually he left Rovers and drifted down the leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amo said:

They're on the staff at Wigan.

Were they at the Brum game, too?

I can't remember to be honest. All the crap is blending in to one these days.

😶

There are far too many hangers on in football and ultimately it's the fans paying all the wages.

Do we have a throw in coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Husky said:

What were Peter Reid and Joe Royle doing at our game the other night? I can only think that it was business rather than pleasure.

Scouting?

Play Birmingham on New Year day. 

Maybe talking about Mulgrew deal with Rovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Play Birmingham on New Year day. 

Maybe talking about Mulgrew deal with Rovers

I think he means he saw them on the TV when we played Wigan, they were there because they are on Wigans staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If they decide they want him then £10m is a basically a free transfer for these boys. I hope they don’t. If they do, I hope we turn them down...

I would bite anybody's hand off for £10m for Buckley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.