BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

He had 10 mil budget the season before last, they halfed that for this season (we even had to offload Raya to pay for most of Gallacher)...tells me they didnt want to give Mowbray the same amount after Brereton. With that in mind, id expect a budget of 2.5 million int he summer as punishment for wasting more money this time around.  

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

DISCLAIMER: It's detailed, never going to happen, and basically just football manager gone paragraphed... but I don't see what's so difficult. This solution won't be for everyone, but at least its more of an effort than the club have made for the last three windows!

The January Transfer window if I had any say:

• Terminate Walton loan (on MASSIVE wages and not here past Summer anyway)
    Replace with Karl Darlow permanently from Newcastle.
  • Sign Britt Assombalonga for £10m (or someone else like him) - we need a forward who can score that isn't 34.
  • Move on Corry Evans, Dominic Samuel, Sam Hart and Richie Smallwood whatever the cost - they're both eating away our wage bill.
  • Recall Scott Wharton from his loan, let Joe Grayson go and play some bloody football somewhere on loan, maybe with his Dad at Blackpool?
  • Pick up at least two centre-backs on the cheap from Europe, (Jannik Müller & Philipp Ziereis are two I've found and like the look of.)
  • Get some nice long contracts on Butterworth, JRC, Buckley and Vale - and give these lads some game time (see Jude Bellingham at Birmingham aged 16)
  • Bring back one of the Olsson brothers, we need a left-back, Bell ain't it, Cunningham's basically gone for the season - one of them is free right now I think?

And the worst thing is, none of this stuff is difficult, it's on the striker that would cost much at all. Just need to pull ourselves together and do what needs to be done, everyone can see it. It's common sense, basic football shit, and the club just can't seem to get it right.

Darlow
Nyambe   Lenihan   New CB (Muller/Ziereis for exa.) Williams  Olsson
                                  Travis   Rothwell
                    Holtby           Dack          Downing
                                  Assombalonga

Subs: Leutwiler, New CB (Muller/Ziereis for example), Johnson, Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Armstrong, Graham.

Finish about 10th, spend another £10-15m in summer on another striker, another winger and some full backs and actually push for promotion in 2020/21.

Few questions/points:

- How many times have you seen the 2 centre backs you mention, as I have never heard of either? What are they like, are they likely obtainable?

- You mention the 4 young lads. Buckley seems to be closest but every time he plays, he looks a million miles off being up to it IMO. Could do with a loan. You also said in the academy thread that Vale is incredibly lightweight too. Butterworth and JRC could be worth game time however.

- Do you really think its realistic for whoever is manager to spend so much money? 10m on Assombolonga, Darlow and a CB permanently, then another 10-15m in the summer. No chance sadly.

- Who would take any of the crap you mention in advance of their contract expiring? 

- Sadly it just shows how far away we are from even threatening the top 6. We essentially needed a new back 4 and goalkeeper in the summer, and a new striker. We got an inadequate goalkeeper, a very good LB whose temporary deal will now be covered by injury and a flimsy plaster over the cracks in the middle of our defence who again doesnt seem up to it. We also signed a striker who is horrendous.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Few questions/points:

- How many times have you seen the 2 centre backs you mention, as I have never heard of either? What are they like, are they likely obtainable?

- You mention the 4 young lads. Buckley seems to be closest but every time he plays, he looks a million miles off being up to it IMO. Could do with a loan. You also said in the academy thread that Vale is incredibly lightweight too. Butterworth and JRC could be worth game time however.

- Do you really think its realistic for whoever is manager to spend so much money? 10m on Assombolonga, Darlow and a CB permanently, then another 10-15m in the summer. No chance sadly.

- Who would take any of the crap you mention in advance of their contract expiring? 

- Sadly it just shows how far away we are from even threatening the top 6. We essentially needed a new back 4 and goalkeeper in the summer, and a new striker. We got an inadequate goalkeeper, a very good LB whose temporary deal will now be covered by injury and a flimsy plaster over the cracks in the middle of our defence who again doesnt seem up to it. We also signed a striker who is horrendous.

- Never, I don’t care we just need some cheap, tall, actual centre backs.

- I mention giving them large contracts because of previous losses in Mahoney and Wright. Vale is lightweight, but needs chances to improve as do Buckley, JRC and Butterworth.

- It’s realistic for us to spend £15m. We’ve come close in recent windows - BB and Adam Armstrong summer comes to mind.

- I think Evans, Smallwood, Hart and others would move on for game time definitely.

- and yes I agree.

11 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Croatia's keeper is nowhere near playing for Villa's first team and is 6'7" my Villa supporting mate informs me. Wouldn't he be worth a punt instead of Walton on loan?

They also have norwegian international Ørjan Nyland there, think he is 3rd choice. I know he hasn't shown his best form i England, but was very good in Germany.

Edited by Swanson

7 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’d take anyone over Walton. He’s been pretty terrible for me and has something about him that I can’t warm to. His pissing about taking goal kicks when we’re behind takes the biscuit though.

So you'd take Smallwood in goal?

• Like 2

• Backroom

Don't think Rodwell would make a blind bit of difference. Has the same attitude as most of our players - looked decent when we're in control, totally disappeared when we were under the cosh. Also a pretty rubbish CB which is where he'd likely be playing if he was here.

• Like 3

we need an leader in centre defender. Its a shame we never move for Jansson or Hector. Massive own goal by Mowbray. Just like an experience keeper one. I like Walton and think on the all he been very decent but a young number 1 keeper wasn't what we need. Mowbray wanted Darlow but his wages were too much as Waggott told the fans forum at the time. Then sign a young keeper as number 2. Then we need a right back and left back. We signed Cunningham but not a right back. 

We didn't need to spend 5 mil for another striker and with Mowbray and number 2 being defenders you would think they would be strong defensively

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Apparently that Mbappé is decent, he’d be backup for Armstrong here mind.

In all seriousness, France is a great place for bargains. The lower end of Ligue 1, and Ligue 2, will be full of them if recent history is anything to go by.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, frosty said:

Apparently that Mbappé is decent, he’d be backup for Armstrong here mind.

In all seriousness, France is a great place for bargains. The lower end of Ligue 1, and Ligue 2, will be full of them if recent history is anything to go by.

Also some crap....for every N'Zonzi there is a Goulon

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Player(s) in question at Dijon that we, along with Chelsea, Sheffield United and Norwich have been scouting in France:

Firstly, 20 year old French winger Mounir Chouiar seems to be the man in question if my French is somewhat existent. Was at RC Lens until signing for Dijon in summer for £3m. I know nothing of him or anything, just tried to interpret to the French report. 

Bryan Soumare also impressed the English club scouts, apparently. He's another young 20 year old, attacking central midfielder this time.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Player(s) in question at Dijon that we, along with Chelsea, Sheffield United and Norwich have been scouting in France:

Firstly, 20 year old French winger Mounir Chouiar seems to be the man in question if my French is somewhat existent. Was at RC Lens until signing for Dijon in summer for £3m. I know nothing of him or anything, just tried to interpret to the French report. 

Bryan Soumare also impressed the English club scouts, apparently. He's another young 20 year old, attacking central midfielder this time.

Attacking central Midfield. A typical Mowbray signing to play wide so wont need the other.