BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

In the PL days, yes some players were frozen out and players sold but I put down to other factors. I wont say more on it. 

Rhodes, Gestede, Duffy, Hanley all wanted to leave. You seem happy to forget this. 

Sold out centre backs on the Eve of the new season. Well firstly Duffy started the season here and Hanley moved to Newcastle on 21st July. So your point is wrong on this. 

And how long did we keep Duffy? Sold him when there was no time to replace him and for a ridiculously low fee.

So we sold Hanley on 21st July! I didn't look it up, you were obviously keen to prove me wrong!

So I'll revise my point, they sold BOTH of our centre-backs in the summer and never remotely adequately replaced them. And we were duly relegated.

So how wrong is your question?----Why would the owners weaken our chances of promotion by selling any one who is key to our team. 

We need to get someone who can score goals with some regularity. Easier said than done. Maybe the loan market can work for us,

No Bradley, Danny now is looking a bit past it and no Charlie freekicks. That's 40 ish goals from last season gone.

If anyone thinks Gallagher or Holtby can fill the void well good luck with that one.

• Like 5

Just now, 47er said:

And how long did we keep Duffy? Sold him when there was no time to replace him and for a ridiculously low fee.

So we sold Hanley on 21st July! I didn't look it up, you were obviously keen to prove me wrong!

So I'll revise my point, they sold BOTH of our centre-backs in the summer and never remotely adequately replaced them. And we were duly relegated.

So how wrong is your question?----Why would the owners weaken our chances of promotion by selling any one who is key to our team. 

Duffy was sold on 26th August. But he wanted to leave. Hanley wanted to leave the club before Coyle was appointed I believe. 

Look at signings Coyle made defensively. Greer, Brown, Hendrie, Hoban. Yes he signed Mulgrew and Williams. But he signed other players like Feeney, Stokes, Jack Byrne, Samuelsen. So they was 8 poor signings and his treatment of Mahoney was very poor. 

That season recruitment in terms of the manager we appointed plus all the signings cost us big time that season. 

The only thing Coyle could do was beat Newcastle twice that season. That Newcastle away game was great day out and still remember the goal now. 

Do any of our current players want to leave atm? 

50 minutes ago, 47er said:

What are you on about? They sold just about our entire Premier League team to get us relegated!!

They sold the players Bowyer accumulated who should have been good enough to get us back up under a better manager.

Then on the eve of a new season they sold our centre-backs and we got relegated again!

All this enthusiasm for our owners is getting on my wick.

Yep. Totally unforgivable.

F.O.V.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Does buying a ST constitute forgiveness ? 

It’s been a while since this argument reared it’s head. 

No, it really doesn’t. 

From me personally, it just means I love Rovers more than I hate Venky’s.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some players will leave Rovers in January players like Smallwood and Samuel, plus Hart, Luetwiler(if keeper is signed). But no first team regular will be sold that weaken our Playoffs/promotion chances.  Think it will cost us to get rid of them!!!

J*B told the messageboard on Friday, that the Charlton Chairman look at buying Rovers and was told not for sale and no extra funding was needed. So this dismissed your point of any sort of tipping point.  A football club can have any sale price, ranging from £1 (and take on all the debt) to £100's of millions.  If someone offered £150million for Rovers - and there's absolutely no chance of that happening - do you think Venky's would turn it down!?!  If someone offered a piddling amount they'd be told 'no sale'.

Why would the owners weaken our chances of promotion by selling any one who is key to our team.  I think we've no chance of promotion now.  An outside bet when Dack was fit and firing.  Think they'll be trying to minimise their losses and having to keep digging deep.

Excellent points. Did Bolton owner ever cough up to buy Rhodes? nope he didn't.  I understand a cheeky inquiry was made!

On 28/12/2019 at 00:12, J*B said:

One thing they’re not thinking - “it’s time to sell”. 

On the basis that Matt Southall, now chairman at Charlton offered to buy the club in September this year through a Dubai Investment Fund and was told categorically that further investment isn’t needed and the club isn’t for sale. 

Not saying J*B is a liar but can anyone else confirm this? Trustworthy people that is.

I've asked about Southall and the view was negative.

20 hours ago, Ossydave said:

He's really not, he weighs about 9kg more which is nothing and they're roughly the same height, you could gain that in lean muscle in no time if it was an issue. Messi actually had a growth hormone deficiency growing up. Using the low centre of gravity to his advantage is how Buckley needs to focus rather than bulking up.

And no I'm not saying Buckley is the next messi for one minute ?

I put it poorly I meant in terms of strength on the ball rather than lterally comparing their stature, sorry.

• Backroom
On 27/12/2019 at 15:58, Paul Mani said:

100% sure that Rovers knew nothing of Dack’s agreement with WBA. If there was one at all...

Also those who slaughtered Buckley a few weeks ago might feel a little silly in January. Big clubs circling. Expect him to be offered a bumper new deal.

If those big clubs have the red button the circling may have stopped, awful today from Buckley, poor from Mowbray to leave him on exposed like that 

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

If those big clubs have the red button the circling may have stopped, awful today from Buckley, poor from Mowbray to leave him on exposed like that 

In fairness, he is never going to play a blinder from the wing. But as many suspected even during the good run, Tony doesn't learn.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

If 4-4-2 is the new formation then a winger is a must in January. Marcus Maddison has been mentioned for the last 25 transfer windows but now, more than ever, he would be ideal. 

For centre forward, wide forward, central mid, fullback, centre half or in goal?

• Like 1

Why do you think signing some more players will do the trick? It’s just more faces for Mowbray to shuffle about, play in the wrong position or relegate to the U23s. 

If I were Venkys I wouldn’t give Mowbray another dime since the £12m investment has boasted three goals. A new management team would be my priority. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We need to get someone who can score goals with some regularity. Easier said than done. Maybe the loan market can work for us,

No Bradley, Danny now is looking a bit past it and no Charlie freekicks. That's 40 ish goals from last season gone.

If anyone thinks Gallagher or Holtby can fill the void well good luck with that one.

Yup. The only thing that matters is signing a striker who is decent and scores goals.

I think Raos may give Mowbray short shrift after paying out 12M for Gallagher and Brereton. They may well say "play Brereton".