BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

41 minutes ago, DE. said:

If it's a lot lower he's probably better off seeing out his contract here for the last six months and then signing with somebody as a free agent in the summer. The wage on offer isn't likely to be significantly different and he'll probably get a higher signing on fee if he's a free agent. 

another 6 months sit around not playing would drive me crazy. 

34 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

They might be interested but I'd be literally amazed if he goes on loan considering they play 2 up top and he seems to be getting some starts.

depends what their plans are

15 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Young Buckley is rated higher than those and how has that worked out so far?

and? You have give them a chance and platform to perform. 

They are young players who we need to develop and play. That's has to be the way forward for our club

Edited by chaddyrovers

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

depends what their plans are

and? You have give them a chance and platform to perform. 

They are young players who we need to develop and play. That's has to be the way forward for our club

Buckley has proven that he is absolutely nowhere near ready for our first team. He should continue his development in the lower leagues for now.

• Like 4

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He seemed happy to sit out the first six months of the season despite being told he wasn't going to feature much, and having interest in the summer, so it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out the next six months as well. If he genuinely wants to play I'm sure there are clubs out there willing to bring him in at a much reduced wage. Either that or we loan him out for a % of wage costs (probably less than 40% if it's a League 1 club though). 

Just now, DE. said:

He seemed happy to sit out the first six months of the season despite being told he wasn't going to feature much, and having interest in the summer, so it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out the next six months as well. If he genuinely wants to play I'm sure there are clubs out there willing to bring him in at a much reduced wage. Either that or we loan him out for a % of wage costs (probably less than 40% if it's a League 1 club though). 

Waste of career..

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley has proven that he is absolutely nowhere near ready for our first team. He should continue his development in the lower leagues for now.

Keep him here. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

If it's a lot lower he's probably better off seeing out his contract here for the last six months and then signing with somebody as a free agent in the summer. The wage on offer isn't likely to be significantly different and he'll probably get a higher signing on fee if he's a free agent. 

I doubt we will charge a fee, so I shouldn't imagine waiting for his contract to run down will change the signing on fee.

His stock and bargaining position will also be six-months-of-not-playing weaker.

45 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

A few older, wiser, experienced players are a good thing - i like to think that we at least learnt that much from last season...

What did we learn from Danny Murphy, Peter Whittingham etc and now Johnson?

For every Downing there are 5 of the other types who really are not worth the extra wages you have to pay.

It's leaders we lack and defenders who can man mark not old heads.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
Just now, bluebruce said:

I doubt we will charge a fee, so I shouldn't imagine waiting for his contract to run down will change the signing on fee.

His stock and bargaining position will also be six-months-of-not-playing weaker.

Smallwood is proven in League 1 so I honestly don't think an extra six months of not playing is going to have any major impact. I reckon he'd have a fair few suitors in League 1, maybe even a couple of teams just promoted to the Championship if he's lucky. He could go on a free in January but depending on how much we're paying him that could still be a significant amount in lost earnings for him. This is probably going to be the highest paid contract of his career so it might not be easy to walk away from financially. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Have a look at Sheffield United's squad and look where their players were at - Oxford, Milton Keynes, Shrewsbury, Portsmouth etc etc

And Rovers.

We had a homegrown ball-playing centre-half and we showed him the door.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

What did we learn from Danny Murphy, Peter Whittingham etc and now Johnson?

For every Downing there are 5 of the other types who really are not worth the extra wages you have to pay.

It's leaders we lack and defenders who can man mark not old heads.

I assumed people would understand that i am not advocating "last PayDay" merchants as the qualities, including leadership, tend to come from experience. Thinking more age 27-28 "run through walls" types that at least have learnt how to shut out games somewhat

• J*B pinned this topic
36 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Why? Is he not another that thinks he's worth £30k a week but has never actually achieved bugger all?

There's a bucket load of them available and we've signed plenty historically

Move on...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

We NEED to ship out a boatload of deadwood before we can contemplate signing anyone.

Tony, are you listening: We can't afford to carry passengers!

Won't happen unfortunately

4 hours ago, darrenrover said:

We NEED to ship out a boatload of deadwood before we can contemplate signing anyone.

Tony, are you listening: We can't afford to carry passengers!

Personally I don’t think we NEED to ship the deadwood. But it would be a good idea.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Personally I don’t think we NEED to ship the deadwood. But it would be a good idea.

The books dictate we do if we are to bring in more. Don't see the point of these wage drains using up remaining FFP space on the accounts when that could be put to some use.

• J*B featured this topic