BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

With some of the prices players have been going for recently we could probably demand at least £10million for Lenihan. 

I am beginning to lose patience with everything about the club and the way it's run so selling him would probably have no affect on me. Yes he's a decent defender but we still ship goals when he's playing, so let's cash in. 

When we went in our little winning run I had hope, but now that has all gone. The season is over and all the pro-Mowbrayers can point to the fact that we are only 4 points off the playoffs, but I don't give a shit. Under Mowbray we will be nothing more than what North End have become, a bang average championship team. That for me is not acceptable. 

If we are keeping Mowbray then sell Lenihan, Travis and whoever else might get us a bit of cash. Tony won't improve them, just like he won't take us any further than mid table. 

Sell the assets but don't give Tony a penny to spunk. Maybe then he might walk. 

Sell everything and give no money for replacements?

Do you work for Venkys?

• Like 2

Have any of you got the rovers app on an android phone? I downloaded it to watch ifollow and it crashed 15 times during the Huddersfield game. Now I have just recieved a notification for the 1st time recommending I disable the app because its playing havoc with my battery. 

It just strikes me as something you would expect to work well, but it's clearly badly broken. 

Not sure what section I should have put this in and dont think it needs it's own thread 

With some of the prices players have been going for recently we could probably demand at least £10million for Lenihan. 

I am beginning to lose patience with everything about the club and the way it's run so selling him would probably have no affect on me. Yes he's a decent defender but we still ship goals when he's playing, so let's cash in. 

When we went in our little winning run I had hope, but now that has all gone. The season is over and all the pro-Mowbrayers can point to the fact that we are only 4 points off the playoffs, but I don't give a shit. Under Mowbray we will be nothing more than what North End have become, a bang average championship team. That for me is not acceptable. 

If we are keeping Mowbray then sell Lenihan, Travis and whoever else might get us a bit of cash. Tony won't improve them, just like he won't take us any further than mid table. 

Sell the assets but don't give Tony a penny to spunk. Maybe then he might walk. 

2a50a6de84db99fb075cacf498ea576791fc3bf5547528dbd444ea3dfe48abc7.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Just imagine selling Dack and then being told that the money had already been spent on those two!

Probably as well he got injured!

If we sell Lenihan then we are done.

Mowbray knew that though he touched on it in an interview not long after the Brereton signing which seemed to go over the heads at the time.

Selling Lenihen for good money might actually be the only solution to that little  financial problem, 5 million might plug a hole for a bit and allow a bit of incoming action on loan or whatever.

If that happened i'd have a bit of faith in a decent manager digging out a competent centre half from somewhere within our budget.  This fella, no chance, we'd end up with Nyambe covering there and allowing captain fantastic mk2 to stay at RB.

• Like 3

Just now, davulsukur said:

Sell everything and give no money for replacements?

Do you work for Venkys?

My point is, why give Tony a penny? £12million could have bought us a Pukki and Buendia, Pontus Jansson, Ajayi, and still had millions to spare. With those kind of arrivals, we could probably have tempted Raya to stay, and bloody well guarantee we'd be a top 6 team. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I dont think Conway would be the answer,but a player doesnt necessarily need to beat his man to cross it in! Beckham had a decent enough ball and he wasnt skinning full-back. We just need someone to start getting quality ball into the box. Was it 67% possession the last game with little to no penetration and that's not the first time that has happened this season.

I agree on that point. Clever wingers can get that half a stride in front which is all you need to cross the ball. Not many clever wingers about these days though. When I started watching every team had a least one.

• Like 1

My point is, why give Tony a penny? £12million could have bought us a Pukki and Buendia, Pontus Jansson, Ajayi, and still had millions to spare. With those kind of arrivals, we could probably have tempted Raya to stay, and bloody well guarantee we'd be a top 6 team. 

Ain't hindsight great. I'm sure fans of every club they dont play for think the same 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree on that point. Clever wingers can get that half a stride in front which is all you need to cross the ball. Not many clever wingers about these days though. When I started watching every team had a least one.

On his day Aiden Mcgeady was/is very good at that 

32 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I'd keep Bell and Evans and replace ToMo, Bell? There's a player in there somewhere he needs good coaching and a manager that can help him with his confidence.  Evans can be a proper player when he is properly motivated too.

On the money thing, or lack of it, I was under the impression ToMo had funds left over that he did not spend.  Is it possible that Venks have closed the purse strings cos they are looking for his replacement?

I do not see what you see in Bell. For me all he brings is medium pace with no end product. And very poor defending. If you see a player from that, you have better eye-sight than me.

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

There used to  be a winger that played for Oldham and City I think, Ricky Holden. He wasn't anything like quick but he could send over 8-10 crosses a game that had " goal " written all over them. He just made enough room to get the ball in, he never actually went past people, he just did enough to make that 1/2 a yard to get his nose in front.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I wouldn't be quick to give Mowbray any money after seeing what he does with it but I wouldn't be selling our best players just to make him walk away.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There used to  be a winger that played for Oldham and City I think, Ricky Holden. He wasn't anything like quick but he could send over 8-10 crosses a game that had " goal " written all over them. He just made enough room to get the ball in, he never actually went past people, he just did enough to make that 1/2 a yard to get his nose in front.

Holden needed a right good wash the scruffy bugger, it was no wonder full backs gave him room. He needed cornering with a Karcher for 5 minutes.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He’s a poor player which bar a spell at PNE and young career at Celtic has achieved next to nothing. We don’t need any foreigners either. ?

That said he’s about to be released from Sunderland, got caught tucking into a McDonald’s with Ex rover target Chris Maguire at a service station before Xmas! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember him he sort of galloped.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I wouldn't be quick to give Mowbray any money after seeing what he does with it but I wouldn't be selling our best players just to make him walk away.

I'm just at the end of my tether with it all. 35 years of supporting Rovers and other than the couple of years of Kean and Coyle I have never been less inspired. Those 3 letters FFP are beginning to loom large and hearing Tony say there's no treasure chest to spend just smacks of mid/lower table mediocrity for years to come. I just think we could probably sell Lenihan Travis and Buckley, get £15-20million and still hover around the same position in the league. The reason we aren't in the top 6 is because of Mowbray. A Warnock would have had this current squad fighting for promotion. I would rather the Club be £20million better off and finish 17th rather than 15th.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Holden needed a right good wash the scruffy bugger, it was no wonder full backs gave him room. He needed cornering with a Karcher for 5 minutes.

i remember him,a fat b*****d who could`nt run past his grandma,those crosses though,they were evil,oldham kind of built their game round him and their plastic pitch helped him as well,he could`nt trap a bag of cement

• Like 1

I'm just at the end of my tether with it all. 35 years of supporting Rovers and other than the couple of years of Kean and Coyle I have never been less inspired. Those 3 letters FFP are beginning to loom large and hearing Tony say there's no treasure chest to spend just smacks of mid/lower table mediocrity for years to come. I just think we could probably sell Lenihan Travis and Buckley, get £15-20million and still hover around the same position in the league. The reason we aren't in the top 6 is because of Mowbray. A Warnock would have had this current squad fighting for promotion. I would rather the Club be £20million better off and finish 17th rather than 15th.

Do you think the squad, without the injured Dack and Cunningham, is one that could genuinely get into the top 6 under a better manager? A squad lacking in so many areas? I think we are well off, down to the managers poor recruitment. Where do the goals come from?

yep !

I'm actually glad he came out and told us we have got fuck all so at least we aren't going to spend the next month looking for links and debating bullshit and then another 2 months theorising why it didn't happen.

Still.... demoralising hardly covers it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

He’s a poor player which bar a spell at PNE and young career at Celtic has achieved next to nothing. We don’t need any foreigners either. ?

That said he’s about to be released from Sunderland, got caught tucking into a McDonald’s with Ex rover target Chris Maguire at a service station before Xmas! 

I wasnt saying sign him,in fact when his name was mentioned earlier this window I said he is far too inconsistent and now injury prone. I just pointed out he wasnt that quick but used trickery to make space for a cross.

I notice he got in the official PNE team of the decade. Maybe they will have him back...

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Do you think the squad, without the injured Dack and Cunningham, is one that could genuinely get into the top 6 under a better manager? A squad lacking in so many areas? I think we are well off, down to the managers poor recruitment. Where do the goals come from?

Would you not agree he is managing the squad awfully? You dont think we would be at least 6 points better off this season with a good manager instead?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah I do. I think when we went on our good run we proved we have the squad to challenge. Cunningham wasn't part of that team. Dack is a big blow but Holtby, Rothwell, Armstrong or Chapman could fill that void, under the right manager, or I would trust a Warnock to bring somebody in for the remainder of the season.

We can score goals, but we can't defend, organise or manage games. That is the managers responsibility to sort out. 

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Would you not agree he is managing the squad awfully? You dont think we would be at least 6 points better off this season with a good manager instead?

I dont think hes necessarily getting the best out of the squad but especially without Dack, to get in the top 6 would be a massive, massive overachievement from anyone. No manager could get very many goals out of a expensively assembled and ultimately poor set of attacking players. No area of our team is top 6 quality.

Over the Christmas period, albeit not to the level Mowbray has tried to, rotation was always going to be needed. The problem is that our squad is littered with crap players. None of our goalkeepers are up to it. Both senior keepers were signed by Mowbray. Defensively, our only back 4 of any promise includes a winger in his mid 30s who we also need in midfield. Defences should be less prone to rotation but our competition is particularly dire. Bell, Bennett, Gallagher and Brereton are stealing a living. Many of the others are at best patchy and ok, and at worst totally ineffective.

I am not trying to absolve Mowbray of blame or suggest that his job should be anything other than under strong consideration. I just thing his main fault is not necessarily at massively underachieving with a set of players that another manager could do far better with, as I do not think that is the case. It is because with plenty of money and time the squad is well off where it should be and the blame lands at Mowbrays door.

Yeah I do. I think when we went on our good run we proved we have the squad to challenge. Cunningham wasn't part of that team. Dack is a big blow but Holtby, Rothwell, Armstrong or Chapman could fill that void, under the right manager, or I would trust a Warnock to bring somebody in for the remainder of the season.

We can score goals, but we can't defend, organise or manage games. That is the managers responsibility to sort out. 

There is a myth that we are terrible at defending and competent in attack. Only 10 teams have scored less than us, and Dack has 9 of our 34 goals. Take them away and only Wigan have less. There is no evidence that any of those players can come close to matching the tangible goal contributions that Dack brings to this team.