BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

If it is Schmidt:

"He was considered one of our best talents alongside Johannes Eggestein, but he seems to have experienced some weight problems last season and maybe that slowed down his development... however he's doing well in the 3. Liga it seems, but I doubt there will be space for him at Werder... since he's doing well he could be loaned to a 2. Bundesliga club next year, but his contract runs out in summer 2020, so he should renew his contract with Werder first... we'll see, he's still 20 after all, he isn't wasted yet."

From a Werder Bremen fan just over a year ago. Obviously its a dated response but it gives SOME insight into the player. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9vQhuSw1u8 is some of the only footage I can find on him, German teams and English Language YouTube searches don't go well together!

It would also seem he takes corners and free-kicks for the national youth side and for the second division side he plays for currently on loan.

"Not atm. But he's does the free kicks and corners for every team he's been with. Both Werder and the national youth team"

All quotes from the comments section here by Werder Bremen supporters - https://sofifa.com/player/235022/niklas-schmidt/?hl=en-US

30 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You want to sell Lenihan without replacing him, then rely on the kids and patching up with loans? Our defence is threadbare as it is. Our keeper is dire. Come the summer we will need a ton of players all at once, between players whose contracts are out and not worth renewing, and loans which will finish.

Our young centre halves are mostly on loan and not proven at anywhere near this level. We can't sell Lenihan. If we do, we absolutely need to buy a permanent replacement.

As it stands, most fans will tell you we need a keeper, a centre half, a left back, and potentially a RB. We can't get all of that from the youth team, not at an acceptable level. Come next season we need a minimum of 2 centre backs when Tosin returns. Selling our only decent permanent one without replacement is madness.

Do I want to sell lenihan? Definitely not I said I suspect he may be sold. Do I want a makeshift defence? No I definitely don’t but after god knows how many transfer windows that’s what we’ve got. Do I trust Mowbray to spend money wisely. Well the best part of 14 million on strikers makes me a touch wary.

I was advocating managed transition not radicalism. At some point unless decisive action is taken mid table mediocrity means your better players leave that is a certainty. So with lenihan as an example how long is it before he demands the chance to either join a premiership club or move to one with realistic promotion chances. If you where a young man with ambition you would want that and it should be expected.

So we have two options roll the dice and spend on the real deal players which TM has already said due to financial constraints can’t be done or we change the operating system. Bring in Johnson as a new face with new ideas. Resist the temptation to bring in another raft of bang average players which is what we do.If possible hold on to our better players, move on the crap( if possible) and give our younger hungry players a chance. We won’t go down or up but nor will we stay has we are. Are better players will move it’s a given.

29 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Wonder if the Lenihan to Sheffield United and our link to Ben Heneghan more than coincidence?

A player  swap plus a large wad of cash (9 - 10 million) to improve the squad might be tempting for TM. 

Surely the Lenihan to Sheffield Utd ship sailed a long time ago? 

He's nowhere near good enough to play the system they play.

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Being linked again in the last couple of days

As a general rule I think many of these links are just journalists putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. They know that Sheffield United put in a bid in the past - when they were in a lower division - and since Lenihan is still with us drag the "story" back up again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Quick research:

Aymen Barkok - Fortuna Dusseldorf (Div 1) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Played 3 Games In The Bundesliga 1st Division This Season.

Niklas Schmidt - Werder Bremen but on loan currently at Vfl Onsabruck (Div 2) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - 11 Games, 3 Goals & 1 Assists for Onsabruck this Season. Maybe cutting that loan short and heading to us for the final 6 months of the season. Worth a fair few bob but clearly not required at top league Bremen.

Gorkem Saglam - Vfl Bochum (Div 2) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Contract expiring in June 2020, so loan here less likely, unless its loan to get permanently on a free. Hasn't played a single game this season. Seems to have come from their academy. Did play 10 games last season, with no goal contributions or assists... hope it isn't this guy.

Florent Muslija - Hannover 96 - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Played in 15 games for them this season, so seems the least likely for a loan deal. Hannover a good side in the second division though, and is young so never know.

Gut feeling says if its any of these lot then its Schmidt from Bremen.

I've just heard he's at Werder Bremen on loan currently elsewhere so your 2nd shout is sounding about right

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

Do I want to sell lenihan? Definitely not I said I suspect he may be sold. Do I want a makeshift defence? No I definitely don’t but after god knows how many transfer windows that’s what we’ve got. Do I trust Mowbray to spend money wisely. Well the best part of 14 million on strikers makes me a touch wary.

I was advocating managed transition not radicalism. At some point unless decisive action is taken mid table mediocrity means your better players leave that is a certainty. So with lenihan as an example how long is it before he demands the chance to either join a premiership club or move to one with realistic promotion chances. If you where a young man with ambition you would want that and it should be expected.

So we have two options roll the dice and spend on the real deal players which TM has already said due to financial constraints can’t be done or we change the operating system. Bring in Johnson as a new face with new ideas. Resist the temptation to bring in another raft of bang average players which is what we do.If possible hold on to our better players, move on the crap( if possible) and give our younger hungry players a chance. We won’t go down or up but nor will we stay has we are. Are better players will move it’s a given.

I did note (to myself) that you'd only said you suspected he will be sold. But it very much seemed you were saying if he is, we should just trouser the money and not replace him. That absolutely can't happen, as in the summer our senior centre half list will just read (assuming we ditch Mulgrew to Wigan): Derrick Williams. Nyambe out of position at a stretch. Then a bunch of inexperienced kids. It's bad enough as it is without that, and even a loan replacement for Lenihan won't fix this. If he goes we simply have to source a decent replacement or next season will be a relegation fight.

I'd agree on not using it to sign a raft of poor squaddies, but the man himself would have to be replaced.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

I've just heard he's at Werder Bremen on loan currently elsewhere so your 2nd shout is sounding about right

And the worth a fair few bob part suggests it won't result in anything permanent.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Doesn’t thrill me, we already have a attacking mid German who is a lot more established, can we not just get him to speed. If we are to replace dack then I’d want somebody a bit better than that

I agree. 

I guess we see Rovers look towards the foreign market more now. 

I mention a keeper from Germany Bundesliga 2. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Quick research:

Aymen Barkok - Fortuna Dusseldorf (Div 1) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Played 3 Games In The Bundesliga 1st Division This Season.

Niklas Schmidt - Werder Bremen but on loan currently at Vfl Onsabruck (Div 2) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - 11 Games, 3 Goals & 1 Assists for Onsabruck this Season. Maybe cutting that loan short and heading to us for the final 6 months of the season. Worth a fair few bob but clearly not required at top league Bremen.

Gorkem Saglam - Vfl Bochum (Div 2) - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Contract expiring in June 2020, so loan here less likely, unless its loan to get permanently on a free. Hasn't played a single game this season. Seems to have come from their academy. Did play 10 games last season, with no goal contributions or assists... hope it isn't this guy.

Florent Muslija - Hannover 96 - 21 Years Old - Attacking Midfielder - Played in 15 games for them this season, so seems the least likely for a loan deal. Hannover a good side in the second division though, and is young so never know.

Gut feeling says if its any of these lot then its Schmidt from Bremen.

If Schmidt is signing for us I wonder if it is pre contract if his contract is up in the summer

• Like 1

Pretty glad I managed to guess a player right with some research, but the actual signing itself... meh.

If it’s loan and then pick him up on a free type deal in the summer then I’m all ears.

3 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Wonder if the Lenihan to Sheffield United and our link to Ben Heneghan more than coincidence?

A player  swap plus a large wad of cash (9 - 10 million) to improve the squad might be tempting for TM. 

Not sure what sheff utd see in him. Hes been bang average this season for me. Tosin a far better player.

We desperately need some firepower. In Brereton and Gallagher, we have 2 of the very worst strikers in the League, the former looks totally lost on a football pitch and the latter has the worst goals per minute ratio in the league. We are solely reliant on a 34 year old who perhaps is on the wane to score our goals. Our wide men all flatter to deceive most of the time. Meanwhile our only competent back 4 contains a 35 year old who is needed in midfield, and the rest is injury prone, with any alternative options being well out of their depth, especially Bell and Bennett. Our goalkeeper meanwhile is regularly responsible for goals conceded. Our central midfield options of Travis, Evans, Johnson, Holtby and if not needed elsewhere, Downing probably make up our strongest area.

If we did sign a number 10 who is a kid with little first team experience on a short term contract allowing time to adjust and get used to the way we play, it would be a little strange at face value. Seems to be a random bit of gossip at the moment though so will take with a huge pinch of salt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We are solely reliant on a 34 year old who perhaps is on the wane to score our goals.

well did we not score 2 goals without Graham on the pitch against Forest?

Meanwhile our only competent back 4 contains a 35 year old who is needed in midfield

exactly why we need a proper left back instead of wasting funds on strikers or attacking signings now. 

Our goalkeeper meanwhile is regularly responsible for goals conceded

The team, is just as responsible for the goals conceded. Tosin poor marking for the 3rd goal. Downing or Lenihan should have took the Forest player out for the 3rd goal. Walton poor positioning for 1st and 2nd god knows why he did that

If we did sign a number 10 who is a kid with little first team experience on a short term contract

who says it a short term contract? it could be pre contract signing if he is out of contract this summer. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

well did we not score 2 goals without Graham on the pitch against Forest?

exactly why we need a proper left back instead of wasting funds on strikers or attacking signings now. 

The tea, is just as responsible for the goals conceded. Tosin poor marking for the 3rd goal. Downing or Lenihan should have took the Forest player out for the 3rd goal. Walton poor positioning for 1st and 2nd god knows why he did that

who says it a short term contract? it could be pre contract signing if he is out of contract this summer. 

A left back to replace Cunningham and free up Downing and someone to score some goals to fill the Dack void are the 2 priorities. Our attack is statistically worse than our defence and thats even with Dack in. In an ideal world some one would take Gallagher and Brereton off our hands but Christmas has past sadly.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The tea, is just as responsible for the goals conceded.

I know we are lacking in a lot of areas, but I'm not sure we need to blame the tea as well. Although do we even have a tea lady anymore?