BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,front line better for sure. Agree with that.

Dont agree about midfield. If we used players in their proper positions. 

Sorry,I dont get your last paragraph. How is Bell the only investment/permanent change?

It means I think he is the only permanent investment in the defence since we were relegated with a poor side (there was Downing too but he soon left and another midfielder played at the back in Rodwell)

Other than that we have Bennett (a midfielder when we were relegated but his first choice for most of this season) or Nyambe (already here when we went down) Lenihan (a midfielder in 16-17) Williams (a LB when we were relegated - now a makeshift CB) and Bell (largely , shite)  Obviously we have Tosin and Walton but they aren't our players and aren't that great or consistent tbh, so the investment in the most simple and glaring issue at the club has never been addressed by him.  It's no wonder to me that we are so weak defensively and embarassing for him that it frustrates and bemused him.

• Like 3

McGovern is a good shout , but as much as I would like to believe I can't see Mowbray replacing Walton after just 4 months into a season long loan , it would be seen like he's made another mistake , chances are the " new keeper" would be to replace Loot who is abysmal , those who think Walton is crap need to realise he is still the best we have ?

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks. 

I suggest someone like Ruddy or Lee Grant. 

Dawson has been linked with us from Sheffield Wednesday. Does appear he out of contract in summer

Ruddy woukd be a top top signing. Unfortunately I feel that he is outta out league wage wise. Don't know enough about Lee Grant tbh, but I'd still say he's a safer option than Walton. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Go back and look at the squad that went down man, it was pathetic. Even the ones you mention along with those still here shows it's a vastly better squad. That was a real Renford rejects crew we had then. Highlighted by where they all ended up after leaving here. 

I remember it. Graham, Evans, Williams, Lenihan, Nyambe and Bennett were all here. Raya for all of his faults was  better than Walton, and he was ours. Mulgrew was here, pre decline, Adarabioyo is perhaps slightly better. We had Greer, Hoban, Ward and Brown, none of whom were up to it and only played in an emergency, but all of whoms contracts were close to expiry. In terms of numbers, they were all in addition to what we have now, no depth at all. We have added Bell since who is shockingly poor. So goalkeeper and defence, we are pretty similar. Raya and Mulgrew, swapped for Walton and Adarabioyo. 4 dreadful hangers on as back up on short term deals then, only 1 dreadful longer term player who plays quite a lot.

Midfield, Evans played regularly until injury (pre Mowbray) and is a regular now. We had Lowe, Guthrie and Akpan, a dreadful trio, again all of whom were on their last year. Travis is the main improvement, someone who Mowbray hasnt signed so someone who would have been either without him, but he did give him his chance and keep him in the team. Johnson is an obvious improvement on the dross but has still been a huge dissapointment here. Davenport has done nothing. Holtby has a good pedigree and has impressed in flashes but has yet to do anywhere near enough to be considered a success. Out wide, we had Conway (heading towards a decline) and as a short term deal Downing is definitely an upgrade. Mahoney was overrated due to being local, and Feeney wasnt up to it. That said, neither Rothwell or Chapman have produced at first team level here. Our midfield is definitely better, but not as much as it should be.

Up top, I would suggest that we are worse off. Emnes scored 4 and assisted 8 in his loan spell, Armstrongs stats arent too disimilar but I would rather have the latter, plus he is our player. Gallagher we had on loan and he has actually regressed since his average loan spell (often painted as being better than it actually was) plus we are lumbered long term with considerable wages. And Joao on a loan deal is much favourable to a dud like Brereton on a long term deal. Plus we have Samuel too, another waste of time. 

I would say we havent developed as a squad since then, if we have, very little. Considering most of our deadwood was on contracts about to expire, and Mowbray has had 3 years and 20m to re-mould it, it really is unacceptable to have the squad we have now.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Ruddy woukd be a top top signing. Unfortunately I feel that he is outta out league wage wise. Don't know enough about Lee Grant tbh, but I'd still say he's a safer option than Walton. 

I agree on the wages plus they are still in 3 competitions aswell..

Grant was good at Stoke.

I would keep my eye on Dawson at Sheffield Wednesday. Out of contract in summer. Only 24 years old. 7 clean sheets in 15 games this season. 

Or will we go for foreign keeper. Mowbray said we had 2 foreign keepers line up to come  but both fall through last summer. Don't have any names but Mowbray has spoken about this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lraC said:

It's hard to imagine that it is pure coincidence, with it going on for so long and under several different managers. Let that little group who won't accept some sort of strange behavior, has been and still is evident at the club, say what they want, I will take some convincing that there isn't. 

What's the betting market like in India and the East Asia, I wonder?

Just saying.?

2 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Michael McGovern would be my first target. Norwich have agreed l to let him leave on a free and wages wouldn't be an issue, and more importantly a hell of a lot better than what we have here

Peacock-Farrell was the N Ireland keeper we should've moved for. MM fine as a backup, but we need a goalkeeper that is going to play.

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Spot on ..with Leeds forever being on the tv Peacock-Farrell was always to be seen dropping clangers and was very quickly replaced 

He is Number 1 choice for my N Ireland country, and a better keeper than the MM the replaced. He is a young keeper ever improving.

1 minute ago, Vilesinner said:

He is Number 1 choice for my N Ireland country, and a better keeper than the MM the replaced. He is a young keeper ever improving.

This maybe so and good luck to the lad but unfortunately hes no improvement on who we have/had.

Ive said before the pedigree of keepers in our football must be at an all time low. Even Englands  no.1 (Pickford ) is so mediocre. 

2 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

This maybe so and good luck to the lad but unfortunately hes no improvement on who we have/had.

Ive said before the pedigree of keepers in our football must be at an all time low. Even Englands  no.1 (Pickford ) is so mediocre. 

Well many fans were after MM. I would go for the keeper that replaced him at international level, and is the best keeper I have seen play for N Ireland since Jennings. He is way better than what we have.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

yet again wages and fees involved no chance. 

we are very likely to sell a Dack(if fit), Lenihan or Armstrong to keep us under FFP rules. 

Stupid rules in my opinion. 

This is why we will be looking for free transfers, loan players and cheap deals this coming summer transfer window 

Hogan's wages are too much for us. Same with Hart's wages

If you wanted to replace Dack then why not look at Luke Freeman at Sheff Utd who is on 10k a week according to reports wants to leave Sheff Utd due to lack of playing time there

10k a week my bum cheeks

• Like 1

We continue to pay deadwood and a thousand midfielders so he can rotate weekly yet baulk at the wages of any real quality. A good manager would free up 30 grand a week overnight from this squad. No wonder it's unbalanced really.