BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

45 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In an ideal world Mowbray needs to be brave and ruthless this window and offload Graham, Samuel, Smallwood, Evans or Johnson, Bennett and maybe even  consider loaning out one of Gallagher or Brereton.  I also wouldn't hesitate to send Walton back if it was technically possible under the terms of his loan agreement. That should  give us more than enough wiggle room in wages  to bring in the players we need i.e. a couple of half decent strikers, a keeper and a defender or two on loan. Or at least it would if our recruitment department had the faintest idea  of who they need to be looking at.

In reality I predict we'll do absolutely nothing and then complain afterwards  about how we've no money and how difficult it is to get business done in January etc etc

That's way , way too much to do in a January window. For all those lads perceived faults, I don't see how we could wholesale replace them this month, especially by signing frees which is what we would ultimately be doing. I don't think any club has ever made anything near that many transfers in and out in January, some not even in the summer! 

A handy player was Marcus Bent a good back up striker to have in the squad. They should have Samuel watching old videos of Bent on how to make the best of your attributes and limitations.

Seems he had a few problems with the marching powder and stuff so hopefully he's got himself together again now. 

The club have spent a bit of money in the last 18 months on a European scout setup. So far this has produced very little except the Holtby signing.

I fully expect another token “Euro” signing if nothing else but to justify the existence of the scouting team who have probably been on many a jolly round Europe at the club’s expense.

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure we do without Dack. Slightly at best. Travis is undoubtedly an internally generates upgrade. Adarabioyo and Downing are good short term signings. Armstrong perhaps. Johnson, Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman, Davenport, Samuel, Hart, Brereton, Bell, the first 2 could perhaps, but have they as of yet improved us?

Yeah, cmon, at least for me anyway.

Adam Armstrong
Lewis Holtby
Joe Rothwell
Ryan Nyambe

vs

Liam Feeney
Jason Lowe
Danny Guthrie
Elliott Ward

20 hours ago, Pedro said:

The forward line was certainly stronger

Younger Graham, Emnes, Joao, a better version of Gallagher.

In midfield slightly younger Conway and Mahoney offer better options than now (possibly)

One thing is glaringly obvious, other than converting Lenihan into a CB from midfield, the only investment/permanent change is Bell.  Which is unbelievably bad management.

Jason Lowe, Danny Guthrie, Elliott Ward, Liam Feeney. You're painting a very unrealistic picture of 2017's relegation team in saying that it's better than what we have now.... We've made significant upgrades in most areas besides full back and keeper. 

10 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

The club have spent a bit of money in the last 18 months on a European scout setup. So far this has produced very little except the Holtby signing.

I fully expect another token “Euro” signing if nothing else but to justify the existence of the scouting team who have probably been on many a jolly round Europe at the club’s expense.

It appear that we have only have European scouting network for about 9 months now. We appointed an European based scout now after advertising for one in Seotember. 

You got to allow to develop and see. We tried for 2 European based keepers last summer. We appear to close to signing Schmidt on loan. 

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Jason Lowe, Danny Guthrie, Elliott Ward, Liam Feeney. You're painting a very unrealistic picture of 2017's relegation team in saying that it's better than what we have now.... We've made significant upgrades in most areas besides full back and keeper. 

Yes, strange that it is difficult for the manager to upgrade in defensive positions.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That is going to have to the way shortly with FFP rules and how debt levels. 

I suspect this summer recruitment will be loans, cheap young players signings and free transfers

We are looking to sign players. 

and whose fault is that?

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Our striking options are terrible at the moment. Much worse than Emnes, Jao etc.

Only area we are definitely better now than 2017 is central midfield and attacking mid.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Doesn't matter now, does it ? We have to deal with where we are, not with where we would like to be.

Of course it matters now!

In fees and wages, I think Mowbray has spunked £25million (4 year commitment) away on Brereton and Gallagher.

Why should we believe Mowbray is suddenly going to become a master in player trading given, IMO, with the odd exception, an appalling judgement and record in the market.

His feet shouldn't have touched the floor after the Brereton debacle.  Instead, I think the lunatics are in control of the asylum!  

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I am not painting that picture, you are totally skewing my point Joe.

I stand by that the striking options were better, because it is true.  I haven't said that I think we have a worse team now, I'm criticising how 3years in, a shoddy defence has been patched up and not invested in.

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Doesn't matter now, does it ? We have to deal with where we are, not with where we would like to be.

Is that a serious comment? If it hampers our ability to improve our squad and therefore get promoted, given our latest financial results, I’d say it matters a lot!

• Like 4

Some need to get real, as I have posted over the last fortnight or so, IMO, we are brassic and there will be more income (transfer fees received and wages saved) than expenditure (transfer fees paid and wages spent) - this seems to have since been confirmed in LT stuff.  I think we are closer to a 'tipping point' than some would imagine and, IMO, there will be at least one 'big' player departure this window.

I also think Mowbray is closer to the exit door than some would imagine.  With no money, injuries to key players, five games into another poor run of form and results, I think we are in a right old mess.  It would not surprise me if Mowbray is not looking for a way out now - got £25 on him being the next Championship Manager to go at 20/1.