BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did I say otherwise? But he has wasted millions there on signings who haven't performed for him just like other managers

And to think that Burnley fans were ringing and texting in to BBC Radio Lancs complaining about Dyche's appointment there. 

excellent suggestion

Hey chaddy, ever tried soccer index? Youd be a millionaire in no time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did I say otherwise? But he has wasted millions there on signings who haven't performed for him just like other managers

And to think that Burnley fans were ringing and texting in to BBC Radio Lancs complaining about Dyche's appointment there. 

excellent suggestion

I agree regarding a lot of Dyche's recent signings. He did well at first but after that he's signed his share of flops. That's what happens when you're always looking out for bargains. You can get lucky but most of the time you are signing players no better that what you already have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

excellent suggestion

Friend of mine who supports Burnley reckons Dyche has spent approximately a net £50million in his 8 seasons there - an average of £6million per season.

Not all his signings have worked but feckin hell, on average a net £6million per season of which 5 seasons have been in the PL!

Mowbray spent £12million in 12 months on Brereton and Gallagher!!!

Wish Dyche would come and 'waste' some of Venky's £millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Friend of mine who supports Burnley reckons Dyche has spent approximately a net £50million in his 8 seasons there - an average of £6million per season.

Not all his signings have worked but feckin hell, on average a net £6million per season of which 5 seasons have been in the PL!

Wish Dyche would come and 'waste' some of Venky's £millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's signed his share of flops lately Merc. Gibson, Vydra, Lennon, Brady, Hart, that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Well he knows what a target man is at least. So he's light years ahead of Mowbray in that alone 

Dyche has signed some real shite in recent years, its probably the main reason the board seem reluctant to back him and possibly why other clubs haven't come in to poach him, yet anyway.

Theres not a manager on the planet who hasn't signed a few duds, it's more noticeable when you're skint though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's signed his share of flops lately Merc. Gibson, Vydra, Lennon, Brady, Hart, that's just off the top of my head.

Don't disagree, however, demonstrates what Venky's could have achieved here with the right Exec Team and Football Manager in place.  They'd Williams, Finn and Allardyce in place when they bought the club.  IMO, the rest is shambolic history.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Some need to get real, as I have posted over the last fortnight or so, IMO, we are brassic and there will be more income (transfer fees received and wages saved) than expenditure (transfer fees paid and wages spent) - this seems to have since been confirmed in LT stuff.  I think we are closer to a 'tipping point' than some would imagine and, IMO, there will be at least one 'big' player departure this window.

I also think Mowbray is closer to the exit door than some would imagine.  With no money, injuries to key players, five games into another poor run of form and results, I think we are in a right old mess.  It would not surprise me if Mowbray is not looking for a way out now - got £25 on him being the next Championship Manager to go at 20/1.

Damn it, that's him staying now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Don't disagree, however, demonstrates what Venky's could have achieved here with the right Exec Team and Football Manager in place.  They'd Williams, Finn and Allardyce in place when they bought the club.  IMO, the rest is shambolic history.

Everything was in place for them to make a fortune.

20 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Tony has signed some real shite in recent years, its probably the main reason the board seem reluctant to back him and possibly why other clubs haven't come in to poach him, yet anyway.

Theres not a manager on the planet who hasn't signed a few duds, it's more noticeable when you're skint though!

Just altered that for you.

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not skint.

Tony isn’t getting the sack anytime soon and is much more likely to walk if anything.

Hope this helps because unlike the current noise (in here) this is the truth.

Does anyone On here actually think he is close to the sack? Just wishful thinking from what I can see.

Of course Venky's aren’t skint, but FFP not an issue then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Scott McKenna is a name I plucked out of total thin air during the summer. ?

Could fit the TM and Venky philosophy of selling our best (fit) player for circa £8m-10m (Lenihan) and replacing him with a player for a few million less which can go into the black hole/debt fund.

I do think there could be some decent defenders north of the border and the SPL should be a market we look at more seriously. Look at what we missed out on with John McGinn.

I know, for every Goodwillie there is a bad one... but McGinn, Van Dyjk, (Mulgrew) etc prove that league has splatters of quality which translate well, especially for clubs like ours, in this league. McKenna, Souttar, Ajer are all in that bracket for me.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So, wait, does Dack not count? 

Rothwell , Armstrong and Chapman have shown me enough to suggest they could all go on to do well if used correctly.   Armstrong alone is probably worth £4-5 million now. 

So the 4 of them alone is £20 million plus.

Nobody in that team that went down who left could command a fee. 

Should be better after spending £20 million for sure and we have all discussed Gallagher and Brereton to death over the last few days. 

My point is simple this squad is a lot better. It's just being used very badly. 

Dack has been an absolutely and uniquely brilliant signing by Mowbray and I am always keen to give him the credit for that. He is very unfortunate that Dacks long term injury has massively reduced his worth, meaning that when he returns from a very serious injury, he will only have half a season on his contract left. Whilst you should never have all of your eggs in one basket, which I felt Mowbray did in Dack due to his failed signings elsewhere.

The squad is better but not massively and nowhere near as much as it should be considering the funds and time available to the manager. Something you have essentially agreed on in fairness. It may seem unfair to exclude the Dack deal when analysing the current squad but he is unavailable for 12 months and I have been keen to state that while I have lots of sympathy for Mowbray in that Dack is injured, my analysis is without him being available.

You have echoed my views on the Gallagher and Brereton deals, indeed with their woes they have become liabilities rather than assets, no one would take them and their wages off our hands, for a fee in a million years. We are lumbered with them. I also dont think that any of the other players Mowbray has bought, Rothwell, Chapman, Bell, Davenport, Samuel, Leutwiler, Hart etc, have any of them done anything at all to warrant a team paying money for them? I would suggest not. And Armstrong I think we might break even on.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don't see how you can't assign Travis rise to Mowbray... yes he was stumbled into the team because of injuries, but that's how 75% of youth players end up breaking through into the first team these days. Just because our biggest assets happen to be academy graduates, doesn't mean all of TM's transfer dealings are crap.

For every Bradley Dack there's a Ben Gladwin.

For every Lewis Travis there's a Willem Tomlinson.

I don't think anybody could genuinely say that this team is worse off than it was three years ago. The squad is generally younger, has much more transfer value within it, more youth players are worth more money than back then too. Marcus Antonsson was a good loan signing, Adam Armstrong for me, whilst utilised poorly, is a great signing. I think Joe Rothwell has proved to be worth well more than the pittance we paid for him too. 

It's VERY 50/50, but to suggest that TM's transfer business has been a complete failure is silly. When Sam Gallagher was first looked at as an option, who could have dreamed he'd have turned out so shit. You'd expect at least for him to be as good as his first season with Blackburn, even if he hadn't improved at all.

I don't blame Sam Gallagher missing disgustingly easy chances on the manager... I don't think anybody else should either.

People blame Gallaghers inadequacies in front of goal on Mowbray quite rightly in that he shouldnt have been signed. I was far from in a minority thinking that he shouldnt have been re signed. He was ok here, 1 in 4 goal ratio, not too bad, and that was his best season to date by far, one people look back with more fondness than it warrants. Since, he had a dreadful spell at Birmingham and a further season of stagnation. This season comes as no surprise really.

Regarding Travis, Mowbray deserves plenty of credit for his development, one of the main successes of his reign and one he is often not given the praise for, indeed one or two even harshly suggest he has gone backwards. Nothing to do with his transfer failures though.

Aside from the now injured and rapidly diminishing in value Dack, Mowbrays record with shorter term deals, whilst still being hit and miss, has been better than his investment in players to potentially develop and grow, as I have mentioned earlier, Rothwell, Chapman, Davenport, Samuel, Bell, Hart, the now departed Gladwin and of course Gallagher and Brereton have all either massively depreciated in value or at best in terms of possibly only Rothwell, perhaps stood still, doing nothing much of note. Shorter term, Armstrong was a brilliant loan signing at League 1 level, his time in the Championship baring in mind the fee has been very average in comparison. In League 1 he mainly relied on the players he had and rallied them (and of course Dack) with Smallwood, Armstrong and to a lesser extent Antonsson adding to that. In the Championship, the loans of Reed and Adarabioyo and the free transfer of Downing have been 3 of his best signings but are all short term fixes. Johnson has been a big dissapointment and the likes of Whittingham, Caddis and Palmer all failed, with Payne and Downing in League 1 and Rodwell at Championship level both ok as squad players.

The one good thing about that relegation squad is that most of the crap was out of contract. If a new manager came in now, would he be excited with what he had to work with? I dont think so. The 3 main points of excitement would come around 3 academy players.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not skint.

Tony isn’t getting the sack anytime soon and is much more likely to walk if anything.

I think him not getting the sack is fairly obvious, under his mate he has a cushy long term job.

Regarding skint, are you sure?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18132327.no-treasure-chest-rovers-spend-january-window/

"But we’re not sat here sitting here with a treasure chest to be able to bring lots of players in."

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Great effort gone into this thanks 

Striking though that after Dacky the two or three worth the most are lads that were already here in Lenihan, Travis and Nyambe!

It also highlights that the owners would be right to be sceptical of giving Mowbray money to spend 

I don't think they have a clue personally.

Though taking the 'they might be sceptical of giving a manager money to spend'. In that case, surely the solution is to find a more trustworthy manager?

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not skint.

Factually incorrect.

We ARE skint. Last time I looked, being £150 mill in debt qualified as SKINT.

Venkys are not skint if that was what you meant.

If they are happy to fight FFP investigation in 12 months they can spend as much as they like and make sure we get to the PL this year.

£60 million gratefully received.... ?

No... thought not... throwing good money after bad.

Tony won't get sacked (because the owners think hes good, as they did with Owen and Steve) and he won't walk either because he has the safest pension slush fund in English football.

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not skint.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know but I thought the accounts showed we were treading water with regards to FFP? 

Although technically, that means we aren't skint as such, it does mean (if true) that we can't spend any money?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Does anyone On here actually think he is close to the sack? Just wishful thinking from what I can see.

Of course Venky's aren’t skint, but FFP not an issue then?

Yeah of course it’s an issue. Absolutely it is. We have to be careful not to overspend. But there’s a big difference between being careful and being skint. 

58 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not skint.

Companies House would suggest something isnt quite right.  Something will give if Tony doesn't get us up soon.  I wouldn't be putting my money on the likes of Bell, Del, Ell and Tesco to get us up..........surely a decision has to be made.

Edited by Sparks Rover

30 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know but I thought the accounts showed we were treading water with regards to FFP? 

Although technically, that means we aren't skint as such, it does mean (if true) that we can't spend any money?

Old saying -" You owe the bank £150 thousand, you have a problem. You owe the bank £150 million and the bank has a problem ".

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think him not getting the sack is fairly obvious, under his mate he has a cushy long term job.

Regarding skint, are you sure?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18132327.no-treasure-chest-rovers-spend-january-window/

"But we’re not sat here sitting here with a treasure chest to be able to bring lots of players in."

There’s a big difference between ‘not having a treasure chest’ and being skint.

There’s no pressure to sell anyone and contrary to what some have said on here the club had no knowledge / intention to sell Dack to WBA this Jan.

• Like 3