BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Paul Mani said:

There’s a big difference between ‘not having a treasure chest’ and being skint.

There’s no pressure to sell anyone and contrary to what some have said on here the club had no knowledge / intention to sell Dack to WBA this Jan.

We will never know on the latter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Companies House would suggest something isnt quite right.  Something will give if Tony doesn't get us up soon.  I wouldn't be putting my money on the likes of Bell, Del, Ell and Tesco to get us up..........surely a decision has to be made.

The only limiting factor here is ffp. Venkys seemingly happy to keep paying and the club bought into the long term plan with TM.

As I said, he will walk before he’s pushed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s no pressure to sell anyone and contrary to what some have said on here the club had no knowledge / intention to sell Dack to WBA this Jan.

Nonsense - if the playing squad are aware, the manager is aware. No way is that not fed back to the manager. 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Do you have any knowledge as to how the club think we are placed in relation to FFP ?

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Nonsense - if the playing squad are aware, the manager is aware. No way is that not fed back to the manager. 

Dack wasn’t going anywhere in Jan mate. The summer maybe. But not Jan. Certainly not as far as the club were concerned. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Dack wasn’t going anywhere in Jan mate. The summer maybe. But not Jan. Certainly not as far as the club were concerned. 

That is categorically not what the players thought. If the fee was agreed he was off, his side was agreed. 

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

That is categorically not what the players thought. If the fee was agreed he was off, his side was agreed. 

That makes more sense. As far as the club we’re concerned, it wasn’t happening.

I don’t know anything from the players side tbf.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

ITK War!

Exactly what I was thinking.

If Mani's source is the first team staff directly, I would think they have more reason to lie about there being nothing doing, than the Wigan players have to lie about the Rovers players saying Dack was off.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

If Mani's source is the first team staff directly, I would think they have more reason to lie about there being nothing doing, than the Wigan players have to lie about the Rovers players saying Dack was off.

It maybe that Dack had spoken to WBA unofficially and agreed his side in principle. But it wasn’t going to happen. I’m certain of that....fairly irrelevant now anyway. Other than it puts to bed that the club wanted to sell him and / or were desperate for the cash. They didn’t and they’re not.

Edited by Paul Mani

Mowbray's transfer record is spotty AT BEST. I've probably been a little harsh with some and too generous with others.

Red = flop
Orange = unproven/average
Green = success

Peter Whittingham
Richie Smallwood
Bradley Dack
Ben Gladwin
Dominic Samuel 
Paul Caddis
Jason Leutwiler
Paul Downing

Amari'i Bell
Joe Rothwell
Adam Armstrong
Jack Rodwell
Ben Brereton
Harry Chapman
Bradley Johnson 
Sam Gallagher  
Lewis Holtby

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That makes more sense. As far as the club we’re concerned, it wasn’t happening.

I don’t know anything from the players side tbf.

I see no reason why both of these perspectives wouldn’t be true. Dack’s agent agreeing a salary if sold is a long way from Venky’s agreeing to sell him.

3 minutes ago, Amo said:

Mowbray's transfer record is spotty AT BEST. I've probably been a little harsh with some and too generous with others.

Red = flop
Green = success

Peter Whittingham
Richie Smallwood
Bradley Dack
Ben Gladwin
Dominic Samuel 
Paul Caddis
Jason Leutwiler
Paul Downing

Amari'i Bell
Joe Rothwell
Adam Armstrong
Jack Rodwell
Ben Brereton
Harry Chapman
Bradley Johnson 
Sam Gallagher  
Lewis Holtby

Very harsh on Bradley Johnson, and I don't think this colour scheme accounts at all for how much player cost/wages for players. Paul Downing for how much he cost the club was not a red transfer for me. Richie Smallwood was key in helping us get promotion and signed for bot all. 

The only ones I'd have in Red personally would be Gladwin, Hart, Brereton and Gallagher. 

I think everyone else would be in a "okay" category and Dack/Arma and Smallwood for me would be in the green category. Yes Richie is not at the races now, but I firmly believe we'd have been playing at Wembley in May 2018 rather than finishing 2nd, without him.

6 minutes ago, Amo said:

Red = flop
Green = success

Peter Whittingham
Richie Smallwood
Bradley Dack
Ben Gladwin
Dominic Samuel 
Paul Caddis
Jason Leutwiler
Paul Downing

Amari'i Bell
Joe Rothwell
Adam Armstrong
Jack Rodwell
Ben Brereton
Harry Chapman
Bradley Johnson 
Sam Gallagher  
Lewis Holtby

Only one I would argue with is Bradley Johnson, I'd call him an average signing. The rest is spot on. That makes sad reading! If I were the Venkys and reading that I wouldn't be going near a piggy bank let alone a treasure chest to give him to spend. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amo said:

Red = flop
Green = success

Peter Whittingham
Richie Smallwood
Bradley Dack
Ben Gladwin
Dominic Samuel 
Paul Caddis
Jason Leutwiler
Paul Downing

Amari'i Bell
Joe Rothwell
Adam Armstrong
Jack Rodwell
Ben Brereton
Harry Chapman
Bradley Johnson 
Sam Gallagher  
Lewis Holtby

Stewart Downing?

• Like 1

Stuart Downing
Peter Whittingham
Richie Smallwood
Bradley Dack

Ben Gladwin
Dominic Samuel 
Paul Caddis
Jason Leutwiler
Paul Downing
Amari'i Bell

Joe Rothwell
Adam Armstrong
Jack Rodwell
Ben Brereton
Harry Chapman
Bradley Johnson 
Sam Gallagher  
Lewis Holtby
Marcus Antonsson

Is MUCH more realistic. 

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Suits to lower expectations and pressure by convincing everyone that we are skint and can't afford to sign anyone/sack a failing manager so might as well cart on with what we have and hope for the best.

Smallwood and Downing were essentially temporary signings, who contributed when we needed them, in terms of the squads shape at the moment, Smallwood overall was a success as part of the initial process to get here but is now lingering as unwanted deadwood for the next 6 months, of no use to the first team as many of the hangers on where when Mowbray returned. Antonsson too. In terms of a squad rebuild, add Reed who has gone and Adarabioyo and Downing who are short team deals and you would say all 6 are fairly successful to varying degrees in terms of doing a job short term but dont contribute towards a rebuild.

@JoeH most of them look correct, Leutwiler has been a definite failure who has let us down basically everytime he has come in, Bell has been a weakness throughout his time here and Samuel (some for reasons out of his control) has not scored a League goal for 2 years. All 3 have to be failures for me. Rodwell had a few decent games but would do well to cling on to average status. Johnson has been a big dissapointment but has had 2 or 3 good games so is perhaps in the grey area between average and poor. Rothwell is similar, has talent but an enigma with no end product, and Holtby I think should be a regular now but again as of yet hes got it all to prove.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Does anyone On here actually think he is close to the sack? Just wishful thinking from what I can see.

Of course Venky's aren’t skint, but FFP not an issue then?

No he's not close to the sack at all. 

FFP is an issue for every club at this league. Leeds had to sell Jansson to bring in players this summer. Same at West Brom

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Scott McKenna is a name I plucked out of total thin air during the summer. ?

Could fit the TM and Venky philosophy of selling our best (fit) player for circa £8m-10m (Lenihan) and replacing him with a player for a few million less which can go into the black hole/debt fund.

I do think there could be some decent defenders north of the border and the SPL should be a market we look at more seriously. Look at what we missed out on with John McGinn.

I know, for every Goodwillie there is a bad one... but McGinn, Van Dyjk, (Mulgrew) etc prove that league has splatters of quality which translate well, especially for clubs like ours, in this league. McKenna, Souttar, Ajer are all in that bracket for me.

Someone mention Ryan Porteous from Hibs. What your views on him? 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think him not getting the sack is fairly obvious, under his mate he has a cushy long term job.

Regarding skint, are you sure?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18132327.no-treasure-chest-rovers-spend-january-window/

"But we’re not sat here sitting here with a treasure chest to be able to bring lots of players in."

The club has a budget and we have within the FFP requirements. 

We have some players who need to leave this window like Smallwood, Samuel, Hart. 

Rich Sharpe has tweet they will be a Smallwood story in tomorrow paper.

Mowbray job is under threat from then Owners. Waggott can't sack Mowbray without the Owners authorisation just like it would be under any owner or even yourself if you owned the club

Edited by chaddyrovers

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Smallwood and Downing were essentially temporary signings, who contributed when we needed them, in terms of the squads shape at the moment, Smallwood overall was a success as part of the initial process to get here but is now lingering as unwanted deadwood for the next 6 months, of no use to the first team as many of the hangers on where when Mowbray returned. Antonsson too. In terms of a squad rebuild, add Reed who has gone and Adarabioyo and Downing who are short team deals and you would say all 6 are fairly successful to varying degrees in terms of doing a job short term but dont contribute towards a rebuild.

@JoeH most of them look correct, Leutwiler has been a definite failure who has let us down basically everytime he has come in, Bell has been a weakness throughout his time here and Samuel (some for reasons out of his control) has not scored a League goal for 2 years. All 3 have to be failures for me. Rodwell had a few decent games but would do well to cling on to average status. Johnson has been a big dissapointment but has had 2 or 3 good games so is perhaps in the grey area between average and poor. Rothwell is similar, has talent but an enigma with no end product, and Holtby I think should be a regular now but again as of yet hes got it all to prove.

I disagree completely about Smallwood. He came in, was a star in League One and without him I think there's a real chance we wouldn't have got 2nd place. He was top quality in that division, and for the cost/wage he was on, he was a great signing. Antonsson on a year long loan was a great bit of business, scored some key goals especially away from home, and helped relieve strain going forward on some of our other key players, far from a bad signing for the cost of bringing him here. 

Bradley Johnson is not a flop, that's what the red category was described as, and that's just completely ridiculous to say he's flopped. He's been okay, not great, but far from a flop.