BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

From Pete O'Rourke 

Stoke City are interested in a move for Blackburn Rovers midfielder Corry Evans. #SCFC #Rovers https://t.co/bG6AlgNSnQ

Would have to go for me if we can get a fee and his not insubstantial wages off the books. 

Almost 30 now and, IMO, injury prone - think he's only averaged 20 to 25 games a season for us.  We need first team players who you can almost guarantee being fit for 90% of our games.

IMO, would be no loss.

• Like 5

Crazy how things change not long ago most of us would've bounced Evans out the door for free. Now we need him fully fit and firing to form part of our best midfield duo.  Not sure whether it says Evans has improved or that's how far we've gone backwards this season ?

I will say one thing though imo in fits and starts Evans has been better in patches than he ever was under Bowyer bar one little spell. However a lot of that was in league 1 when he was after a new contract so for me the right bid and its time to say goodbye. As always it's how you replace or temp fill the gap of these lads.  We are covered in that area this season although nobody aside from Travis seems fit enough to command a regular place....not that they would anyway with this unreal tinkering.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Crazy how things change not long ago most of us would've bounced Evans out the door for free. Now we need him fully fit and firing to form part of our best midfield duo. 

I wouldn't get to reliant, hes off to Stoke I've just heard. I was first to say it (sorry chaddy beat me to it, tsk)

Edited by Sparks Rover

Well, maybe with you Mercer but still has his backers and plenty of them.  Conversely, still has his detractors and plenty of them!  

Well would Mani do that Mercer? would you do it if you were in that circumstanceL  If I thought a friend of mine, or colleague, was suffering/struggling with his/her job, I would offer some friendly advice.  Often, the individual can't see the wood for the trees as the job has become all-consuming!

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would have to go for me if we can get a fee and his not insubstantial wages off the books. 

Almost 30 now and, IMO, injury prone - think he's only averaged 20 to 25 games a season for us.  We need first team players who you can almost guarantee being fit for 90% of our games.

IMO, would be no loss.

Agreed. No kidding, but I did wonder if O'Neill would come in for him before our Stoke game and I was dead certain that Evans would put a shift in at the Britannia-to that end!

Out, I say lol

Charlton are open to offers for Lyle Taylor, would be a very good signing if the coffers hadnt been emptied signing 2 clowns. 

Would love to sign both him and his manager but suspect we wont be near the Taylor queue with us instead focusing on a 19 year old central midfielder plying his trade at Fylde.

• Like 1

In My Opinion, between 15k to 20k a week  - I think you are way off the mark.  What a number of fans don't realise is that there are substantial other costs (employer's NI which is almost 14%) paid by the club in connection with a player's wages.  So if a player has wages of £1,000,000 a year, the true cost is circa £1,140,000.

The German Attacking midfield Schmidt has playing Bundesliga 2 football so the equivalent to championship. As always you are very quick to write off any signings who isnt your suggestion. 

Wouldnt want Sinclair here. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The Bundesliga 2. isn't the Championship. It's not significantly worse quality, it's just a very different league. The competition is different. Our league has 19 teams who can all beat each other, that league has about 3 top teams, and the rest are dross. Schmidt may be good, but for me isn't exactly the most enthralling signing we could be going after. If it's all we're going to get then that's the end of it, if only it was a defender.

For me, we need a real winger. Somebody who can help somehow to get some goals out of our forwards. I'd be throwing everything at someone like Adam Reach, consistently creating the most chances of any Sheffield Wednesday player. Good long shot on him, can hit a dead ball. He'd be great if we had any money to spend.

Also bear in mind that I think I can recall Mowbray recently stating Holtby has struggled with the intensity/physical demands of the Championship compared to German football (or words to that effect).

nope. Gallagher was 24k a week at Southampton and had to pay cut to move here. 

I rather have Jack Clarke on loan from Spurs or Chaplin from Barnsley. 

That means nothing other than Gallagher was not worth £24k per week - in fact I don't think he's worth a quarter of that!

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whats the difference between giving Johnson or Downing a big signing on bonus and lower wages as opposed to spreading it out in wages for someone like Grabban? 

Well, if the player on bigger wages was doing the business, I doubt anyone would care what he was on. If we weren't doing well, as is the situation now, the players need to sort it out, can't see a player on a few grand less being that much of an issue. Sure wasn't Jordan Rhodes on big wages? 

Yes Rhodes was 35k a week along with Murphy, Etuhu. 

Did it cause problems? I don't know but that was 4 years ago. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Just a very unexciting potential signing. A young kid playing in the lower leagues in Germany in a position well down the priority list in terms of what we need, on a short term loan baring in mind Mowbray and his reluctance to play new players for ages even if they are domestic players. I will give him a chance but on paper it is not a signing that in any way excites me.

Just feels very flat. Our squad is lacking in a number of areas and our lack of inspiraton and attacking threat is magnified with the unfortunate loss of our talisman. Bundled out of the cup, our form spiralling in the League following Dacks injury and seemingly penniless, I am not sure what there is to be excited or enthused about. Teams around us seem to be adding quality or making a conscious effort to improve, with Preston signing Sinclair, Bristol City signing Neketiah, Swansea signing Brewster, Boro signing Roberts, all the while Mowbray says he has no money after blowing 12m on shite. 

Lower league in Germany? it is the second division in Germany same as Championship is the 2nd division in England. 

seemingly penniless? we aren't but we have to get rid of the players we don't want to bring in others. Cant keep collecting players after players. Are we going to be spending 4 or 5 million pounds on 1 player? But we can still make signings and target players who are good players but out of contract in the summer. 

Mowbray said we don't have warchest for signings but we can still make signings

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but we signed Johnson and Downing and gave them big signing on fees. I have nothing at all against those transfers at all, I just don't see why we can't stretch that to wages if it works out the same. 

Indeed, I have no doubt that's the thinking on those lads 

We don't know what we give either players signing in fees. 

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Charlton are open to offers for Lyle Taylor, would be a very good signing if the coffers hadnt been emptied signing 2 clowns. 

Would love to sign both him and his manager but suspect we wont be near the Taylor queue with us instead focusing on a 19 year old central midfielder plying his trade at Fylde.

Rangers, West Brom, Brentford and Nottingham Forest all reported interest in him. So we cant competed wages wise either. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't know who you think you are, everyone is wrong about everything except you. You've got some front lad

You are totally wrong there as I respect everyone views actually. 

I would like to draw a line under this and move on. Agree?

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, Amo said:

Evans always seems to wrangle a new contract out of us based on a handful of neat and tidy performances. I'd love to cash in and buy a proper little bulldog in midfield. That’s what we’re missing.

Our central midfield has been an issue for a hell of a long time.

Evans isn't great, recent performances might have been better but we've needed better for a long time. 

I actually though Johnson would go a long way to resolving this but it hasn't worked out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would suggest you look at attitude towards @SkipDonoghue when talking about Academy and development football dismissing him cos you knew it all. 

It wasn't about academy football it was about town/county football in which I've been involved for 20 years and have forgotten more than he knows.  So, yea I do know a lot about it.

Anybody who knows more than you has an attitude eh?

Edited by Sparks Rover

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It wasn't about academy football it was about town/county football in which I've been involved for 20 years and have forgotten more than he knows.  So, yea I do know a lot about it.

Anybody who knows more than you has an attitude eh?

Lets move on Sparks 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he keeps scoring 7-8 goals plus a season at this level we will get at least 4 or 5 million for him. That's the way the market is. He's still young as well and his pace will always entice buyers. He frustrates me a lot, but we are certainly turning a profit on him. 

He's already scored 7 and we're only half way through the season.

Armstrong is massively under valued by folks on here in my estimation. Outside of Dack he is the only player in the squad who will create chances for himself and others every game.

For some reason he gets way more stick than the likes of Gallagher or Rothwell who offer virtually zero attacking threat.

He's got areas he can improve but it's imperative we keep on with him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Crazy how things change not long ago most of us would've bounced Evans out the door for free. Now we need him fully fit and firing to form part of our best midfield duo.  Not sure whether it says Evans has improved or that's how far we've gone backwards this season ?

I will say one thing though imo in fits and starts Evans has been better in patches than he ever was under Bowyer bar one little spell. However a lot of that was in league 1 when he was after a new contract so for me the right bid and its time to say goodbye. As always it's how you replace or temp fill the gap of these lads.  We are covered in that area this season although nobody aside from Travis seems fit enough to command a regular place....not that they would anyway with this unreal tinkering.

If we can sell a player anywhere in the squad it's CM. I'd let Evans go - put faith in Travis, Johnson, Holtby, Davenport, Bennett, Downing - and invest the money where it is needed desperately - striker, full back and keeper.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

He's already scored 7 and we're only half way through the season.

Armstrong is massively under valued by folks on here in my estimation.

I totally agree Joey. 

I think he should be scoring 15 goals plus this season

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

The Canadian is an International, as is Nyambe and WIlliams. As for best players this season, he has played 13 times and is in and out of the team. Yes he played his part during our winning run but generally, you do not see many good performances unless a Ireland game is coming up or his contract is expiring.

I haven't seen him have a poor game this season. His reading of the game is first class, his first touch was sublime when he almost scored in his last game.

Been excellent for my Northern Ireland country too when we made a good account of ourselves against Germany and Holland.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't see that, and think Rothwell running around like a headless chicken is the answer.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rangers, West Brom, Brentford and Nottingham Forest all reported interest in him. So we cant competed wages wise either. 

Why can we not compete with Brentford on wages? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

From Pete O'Rourke 

Stoke City are interested in a move for Blackburn Rovers midfielder Corry Evans. #SCFC #Rovers https://t.co/bG6AlgNSnQ

My god, what a godsend that would be, one of our highest earners and someone who's been stealing a living at the Club ever since he got injured in Bowyer's time off the wage bill and we might even get a small fee for him.

We might then be forced to see how one of Mowbray's acquisitions, Davenport, goes on instead of just ignoring him completely and paying him for doing next to nothing as well. What a novel concept!

If Carlsberg did transfer rumours.............

I'll start the car, drive him down and pay the petrol myself. Sadly, I fear the rumour is way to good to be true and it isn't April 1st yet either.

If however there  is the slightest grain of truth in it, there's room for 3 more in the car if Stoke have in fact recently acquired charitable status!

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Rhodes was 35k a week along with Murphy, Etuhu. 

Did it cause problems? I don't know but that was 4 years ago. 

Lower league in Germany? it is the second division in Germany same as Championship is the 2nd division in England. 

seemingly penniless? we aren't but we have to get rid of the players we don't want to bring in others. Cant keep collecting players after players. Are we going to be spending 4 or 5 million pounds on 1 player? But we can still make signings and target players who are good players but out of contract in the summer. 

Mowbray said we don't have warchest for signings but we can still make signings

We don't know what we give either players signing in fees. 

I would like to draw a line under this and move on. Agree?

I stand by my views on Schmidt, a player loosely linked to us so may be untrue, and one I suspect neither of us has seen. I am almost sure that the 2nd Division in Germany is of a lower standard. But i stand by my other comments in terms of position, type of contract/duration of loan, settling in and inexperience. That doesnt mean I wont judge if and when he comes and plays.

Why are we unable to compete financially with teams like Brentford or even Forest? We may as well give up if thats the case. We have spent over 15m this season and last and only made 3m-4m back. That said Mowbray seems to be of the opinion that money is scarce. With a flimsy defence and more pressingly an impotent attack, that is a worry. The season is likely to shortly fizzle out.

You seem to be accepting and comfortable with us being uncompetitive in the market and bigging up every linked player.

• Like 1

Please do not sell Corry Evans Before we have shipped out Richie Smallwood, I beg you.

Imagine selling Evans allowed the worse of the crab twins getting back into the team just in time for a stupid contract extension and us being further stuck with a L1 plodder.

• Like 7