BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My god, what a godsend that would be, one of our highest earners and someone who's been stealing a living at the Club ever since he got injured in Bowyer's time off the wage bill and we might even get a small fee for him.

We might then be forced to see how one of Mowbray's acquisitions, Davenport, goes on instead of just ignoring him completely and paying him for doing next to nothing as well. What a novel concept!

If Carlsberg did transfer rumours.............

I'll start the car, drive him down and pay the petrol myself. Sadly, I fear the rumour is way to good to be true and it isn't April 1st yet either.

If however there  is the slightest grain of truth in it, there's room for 3 more in the car if Stoke have in fact recently acquired charitable status!

Evans was injured when we bought him and it's just been more of the same ever since.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Please do not sell Corry Evans Before we have shipped out Richie Smallwood, I beg you.

Imagine selling Evans allowed the worse of the crab twins getting back into the team just in time for a stupid contract extension and us being further stuck with a L1 plodder.

I posted earlier in the thread that imo we are desperate for 4 players - keeper, left back, centre back and striker. 

If selling Evans allows us to address more ot these huge needs I feel it is a sacrifice we need to make. 

Add in he's had a lot of injuries and poor spells in his time here, and the fact that Johnson and Bennett can do a decent job in the middle, not dissimilar to Evans, then I think it is a fairly low risk worthwhile trade off. 

Even should Evans come back into the team I feel with improvements in the other positions mentioned will mean that overall we are in a better position as a team. 

• Like 2

Taylor was head and shoulders one of the best players whilst we were in L1 

we missed the boat on that 3 times .. first when he was playing in the same league second when we opted for BB then again when we went for the useless SG !! 

TM and his crew know Jack about Finding gems ... and by the time they know they are well out of our price range ... 

These 3 strikers we have must be go down as the worst ever in my memory ... No excitement No Movement No Nothing 

Surprised Venkys not held anyone to account for this wild wild spending ..

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I posted earlier in the thread that imo we are desperate for 4 players - keeper, left back, centre back and striker. 

If selling Evans allows us to address more ot these huge needs I feel it is a sacrifice we need to make. 

I agree, no massive problem selling Evans as I dont think we will get a better buyer for him ever again with his ex NI manager new at Stoke.

Say we pull some magic and get towards £1.5m I'd be thrilled if it meant we could build elsewhere. I realise it will be less.

But we cannot go back to Smallwood. That's my huge fear. 

My fear/expectation is that whatever cash we get for selling Evans will disappear into the ether and will not be reinvested into improving the squad.

So it is a no brainer. Dont sell unless it is a big offer or we get freedom to bring in new players in his place.

Telling though isnt it. Another player Mowbray inherited who has been an important part of the squad particularly these last 12-18 months attracts interest from rival club whilst those Mowbray has brought in attract no serious interest and have no serious value. Sell Evans fine but it wont overcome being lumbered with Smallwood, Samuel, Davenport, Hart, Brereton and co. 

What do we do when those Mowbray inherited are all gone/sold and those he signed aren't remotely good enough?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I stand by my views on Schmidt, a player loosely linked to us so may be untrue, and one I suspect neither of us has seen. I am almost sure that the 2nd Division in Germany is of a lower standard. But i stand by my other comments in terms of position, type of contract/duration of loan, settling in and inexperience. That doesnt mean I wont judge if and when he comes and plays.

Why are we unable to compete financially with teams like Brentford or even Forest? We may as well give up if thats the case. We have spent over 15m this season and last and only made 3m-4m back. That said Mowbray seems to be of the opinion that money is scarce. With a flimsy defence and more pressingly an impotent attack, that is a worry. The season is likely to shortly fizzle out.

You seem to be accepting and comfortable with us being uncompetitive in the market and bigging up every linked player.

loosely linked? we have @SkipDonoghue info of a Young German attacking midfielder being shown around Brockhall and an article linking us to him. Hardly loosely. 

I have no idea what type of deal this German player is coming in on. could a loan to buy in the summer, or permanent deal or loan deal. I would guess we have scouted the player since our scouts scouting Germany, France and Portugal. 

IMO, we cant complete with Forest financially. Just look at how much they paying Grabban wage wise. We don't pay anywhere near that as I explained earlier. I should have explained that Brentford thing better. Its not that we cant compete financially with them but I know its a player they wanted in the summer to replace Maupay when he left here. 

bigging up every linked player? yet again pal, you serious need to reading post properly cos no such as happened. On the Tanner or Ogilive links? I haven't given a view apart from posting the link on here. on Schmidt link? I past no judgement until I've seen him play. on Heneghan link? I think he would be decent signing for me. 

I have suggested a number of players who we could target this window who would be cheap or out of contract this summer but would improve this squad imo

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brewster is going to Swansea cos he knows the manager from Cooper who was his manager when we won the u17 world cup. Sensible by the player going to join a club where the manager knows his strengths and him as player. 

I think Tony is on the blower to Ravenelli as we speak

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

loosely linked? we have @SkipDonoghue info of a Young German attacking midfielder being shown around Brockhall and an article linking us to him. Hardly loosely. 

I have no idea what type of deal this German player is coming in on. could a loan to buy in the summer, or permanent deal or loan deal. I would guess we have scouted the player since our scouts scouting Germany, France and Portugal. 

IMO, we cant complete with Forest financially. Just look at how much they paying Grabban wage wise. We don't pay anywhere near that as I explained earlier. I should have explained that Brentford thing better. Its not that we cant compete financially with them but I know its a player they wanted in the summer to replace Maupay when he left here. 

bigging up every linked player? yet again pal, you serious need to reading post properly cos no such as happened. On the Tanner or Ogilive links? I haven't given a view apart from posting the link on here. on Schmidt link? I past no judgement until I've seen him play. on Heneghan link? I think he would be decent signing for me. 

I have suggested a number of players who we could target this window who would be cheap or out of contract this summer but would improve this squad imo

I just find it very difficult to get excited about reverting back to the bargain bin after Mowbray has blown all of our money on rubbish. Putting the injured Dack to the side, his transfer record is absolutely dismal. Is that suddenly going to change? 

The German player was a vague rumour by one person without a name and then sort of puzzled together by another. We may well be about to sign him, I dunno. But for me it would seem a strange one for so many reasons. 

We need major reinforcements at both ends with Dack out to even think about the play offs. Will that happen? Seems not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

So it is a no brainer. Dont sell unless it is a big offer or we get freedom to bring in new players in his place.

For me it's a no brainer the other way round. It'd be a no brainer even if we were only getting him off the wage bill, let alone getting any sort of fee for him. For me he symbolises everything that has been wrong with the Club, over the Venky's era, putting in little effort, not performing season in season out yet being rewarded with contract after contract.

I understand where you're coming from with your post but if Evans did go and we got a fee for him I'd rather it was reinvested in other areas. I honestly dont think that alongside a slightly more attack minded player such as Travis, Smallwood would be any particular downgrade and we also have Johnson and Davenport picking fluff out of their navel. You ought to be able to get a decent pairing out of some combination of those four and if he is to be here for any length of time then Mowbray needs to be told he has to start getting the best out of what he's got as opposed to stockpiling players in certain positions then never using half of them.

It probably won't happen anyway. Instead of cashing in on a poor player whose value (such as it is) is probably as high as it's going to get,  Mowbray will probably declare him irreplaceable and we'll ward off Stoke's interest by handing him a new 5 year deal.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have they spent 15 million alone on strikers? They might have more money than us but Mowbray has been given his fair share and wasted it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lower league in Germany? it is the second division in Germany same as Championship is the 2nd division in England. 

Listen to what numerous people have told you, it's not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you think ligue 2 in France is the same as well? What about the Eerste Divisie in Holland?

• Like 3

If we can get a 1.5 million of stoke for Evans then I would cash in.

Need to off load Smallwood desperately too this window. 

Evans will be on 15k a week circa so to save almost 500k and then Smallwood at 6k saving another 150k ish would be reasonable room on the wages front. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just find it very difficult to get excited about reverting back to the bargain bin after Mowbray has blown all of our money on rubbish. Putting the injured Dack to the side, his transfer record is absolutely dismal. Is that suddenly going to change? 

The German player was a vague rumour by one person without a name and then sort of puzzled together by another. We may well be about to sign him, I dunno. But for me it would seem a strange one for so many reasons. 

We need major reinforcements at both ends with Dack out to even think about the play offs. Will that happen? Seems not.

Bargain bin? Looking for bargain signings is key player of management. 

Why strange? We have set overseas scouting network to find gems of players. Also employed an overseas based scout aswell. Look at the gems Brentford or Norwich have found in the last 2 or 3 years. Now we have the basis for these types of signings. 

I've not going Mowbray transfer record as yourself and JoeH have done it and I'm more in favour to agree with Joe's opinions. 

I agree we need signings especially at left back, centre back and keeper positions. 

I thought Joe H's assessments were ridiculously generous, Mowbray has made one genuinely successful signing in Dack. Some others did a job in League 1 but as far as the Championship is concerned they'd all have to be fails thus far apart from Downing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

I haven't seen him have a poor game this season. His reading of the game is first class, his first touch was sublime when he almost scored in his last game.

Been excellent for my Northern Ireland country too when we made a good account of ourselves against Germany and Holland.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't see that, and think Rothwell running around like a headless chicken is the answer.

You need to take off your clover-green tinted spectacles. 

He plays when he feels like it - always has. Then there was his infamous reaction to Rovers fans daring to ask for his autograph. Plays when an Ireland game is coming up or needs a new contract, otherwise he is either injured or jack-shit. That has been the story of his career here at Rovers. Yes, he played well in our run - what about the many other years?

If he was THAT good, somebody else other than his International manager (of whom he likes to play for) would have snapped him up by now.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agreed. No kidding, but I did wonder if O'Neill would come in for him before our Stoke game and I was dead certain that Evans would put a shift in at the Britannia-to that end!

Out, I say lol

And take Johnson with him.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought Joe H's assessments were ridiculously generous, Mowbray has made one genuinely successful signing in Dack. Some others did a job in League 1 but as far as the Championship is concerned they'd all have to be fails thus far apart from Downing. 

Yep, this is the reality. Mowbray hasn't signed a single permanent player other than Downing who has improved us in the Championship - and Downing is a 35 year old with a very limited long term future here.

I'm not sure the concern of Smallwood returning if Evans departs is warranted. Smallwood hasn't even been on the bench for our league matches. He's so far down the pecking order that realistically even if we did sell Evans it'd take a significant injury crisis for him to appear. I think he will be gone in the summer, maybe even this month, and a total irrelevence as far as selling Evans is concerned. I'd say at the very least you've got Johnson, Bennett and Davenport ahead of Smallwood in terms of replacements. Downing could also play there, as could Buckley or even Tosin at a push (isn't he a DM too?). 

What we need to do is invest in defence ASAP. It'd be difficult if we had to pull Bennett or Tosin out of defence as we have very few alternatives and many injury-prone players. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Butty said:

Have they spent 15 million alone on strikers? They might have more money than us but Mowbray has been given his fair share and wasted it. 

Forest have spent alot of money and have over 35 first team players there. plus a huge wage bill. 

I couldn't disagree that Mowbray has been given his fair share of money. The Brereton signing has turned out to be wasted. But after signing him why did we spend another 5 mil on Gallagher when we need 5 defensively record in a keeper, right back, 2 centre back and left back. But we only got 3 signings and all loans which wasn't right imo co this summer we will have the same problem as last summer. 

30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Listen to what numerous people have told you, it's not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you think ligue 2 in France is the same as well? What about the Eerste Divisie in Holland?

I did listen but they are good players in those leagues who would be good signings for us. 

Why didn't we get Samba the keeper who signed for Forest before they did? 

look at Norwich and Brentford signings from France or Germany or Scandinavian or etc. They would have been good signings here. Players like Pukki from Brondby, Buendia signed from Gefate, Hernandez signed from Eintracht Braunschweig, Benrahma signed Nice(was on loan at Chateauroux in 17/18 season), Mbeumo from Troyes. 

So they are good players out that we need to look at finding these gem of players

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Charlton are open to offers for Lyle Taylor, would be a very good signing if the coffers hadnt been emptied signing 2 clowns. 

Would love to sign both him and his manager but suspect we wont be near the Taylor queue with us instead focusing on a 19 year old central midfielder plying his trade at Fylde.

Seems odd that they would be 'open to offers' considering they just got mega rich new owners. If only we had some money for strikers, oh, wait a minute...

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

look at Norwich and Brentford signings from France or Germany or Scandinavian or etc. They would have been good signings here. Players like Pukki from Brondby, Buendia signed from Gefate, Hernandez signed from Eintracht Braunschweig, Benrahma signed Nice(was on loan at Chateauroux in 17/18 season), Mbeumo from Troyes. 

So they are good players out that we need to look at finding these gem of players

Trouble is that Mowbray has been here nearly 3 years and run the club as he wants and yet even in his most recent transfer window he spent all his budget on players he knew from his past or Bennett's best mate.

Other than this random German kid we've just been linked with no evidence of any progress or serious desire to tap into foreign markets.

I suggest you look who Norwich and Brentford employ alongside and above the manager as to the reason why they are able to recruit so effectively. Modern structures whereas we are stuck in the dark ages with the manager running everything.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Problem is even if we did sign some hidden gems from foreign lower leagues I have zero faith in Mowbray or his staff improving them or integrating them into the team in a useful manner. I'm kind of resigned to almost every signing we make regressing and struggling to have an impact due to the manager and his baffling philosophy. I only hope that some of the players Mowbray has signed and will sign actually have untapped potential which is realised under a new manager. It's Venky's we're talking about here though so the "new manager" would probably be Iain Dowie or someone equally ridiculous. 

• Like 5

Can we just do a Thierry Henry back at Arsenal and give MGP one final game... would be bloody great on a pay as you play. Even if they just did him a testimonial with the 23's and some old faces.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Can we just do a Thierry Henry back at Arsenal and give MGP one final game... would be bloody great on a pay as you play. Even if they just did him a testimonial with the 23's and some old faces.

He'd get played at RB

• Like 1