BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

I can't think of many (realistic) players more suitable than Maddison to fill in for Dack.

Is he as good? Absolutely not, but he's a much better fit than our current crop, assuming we still want to play in a similar style.

Not sure he'd be happy as a bench man when Dack is back though, he's known for a bit of a bratty attitude if he doesn't get his own way. Alas that would be way down the line anyway though.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Did I see a comment in summer linking us with Max Clark? Or am I dreaming?

Yep, we were linked.

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I can't think of many (realistic) players more suitable than Maddison to fill in for Dack.

Is he as good? Absolutely not, but he's a much better fit than our current crop, assuming we still want to play in a similar style.

Not sure he'd be happy as a bench man when Dack is back though, he's known for a bit of a bratty attitude if he doesn't get his own way. Alas that would be way down the line anyway though.....

Maddison can play all across the midfield, so if he performed well there's no reason for him to be dropped to the bench.

2 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Having watched him in every N Ireland game he played, I think he would be an excellent signing indeed. Fast, direct and can cross; would free Armstrong to play up front in a 442.

Agreed on Jones, but Armstrong lacks the intelligence to play up front, forever offside and for me best on the right. I would like to see Jones left, Armstrong right, and obviously as our only competent striker, Graham up top, and play Holtby as a number 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Different kind of player to Dack, a lot more pacey and direct. Think him on the right and Dack as the AM would go down nicely.

Not gonna happen either way, there will probably be quite the list of teams waiting for him to become free.

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You're doing him a serious disservice. Just the League stats:

2015/16 - 11 goals, 13 assists.

2016/17 - 9 goals, 17 assists.

2017/18 - 8 goals, 16 assists.

2018/19 - 8 goals, 15 assists.

2019/20 - 9 goals, 6 assists (so far).

I don't know if you think he's a striker or something, but he isn't. Those goals are at least primarily from midfield. Attacking mid (in what I assume is a broadly Dack-like role) and RW. I think he has been moved around in the past, CM, LW, occasionally striker I think. I think continuing those stats in numerous different positions over a season is even more impressive. The goals might not be Dack numbers, but he's an assists machine. 'A few assists' is like saying Dack scores 'a few goals'. That many goal contributions over the last four-and-a-half seasons is definitely lighting up League One.

As for why is he still down there, his contract has a 2.5 million release clause and Peterborough have been insisting on it being met. Fairly sure he has been transfer listed since last summer? But 2.5 million is still considered a lot to gamble on a League One player. Players do move out of there for that kind of money or more, but there aren't too many. Point of reference, we paid 750k for Dack. If I remember rightly he had been available for about 1.5 million the season before after winning League One POTY and nobody bit.

Since the summer, he has only had a year left on his deal. See Bauer for how clubs deal with League One players on the last year of their deal. If the fee is fairly big, they'd rather wait, as they know the player will step up in the summer for free now they know higher league clubs are looking.

Sure we can all agree that Dack and Bauer are good enough for the Championship, but neither we nor others were willing to pay in the millions for either.

This is what we've lacked in the squad for years, another actual striker who's consistent. Maybe not a 15 a season player but someone who you know regularly scores and sets a few up besides your key men.

Armstrong had a few in league 1 and he's managed the step up, inconsistent yes but he's still only about 22 himself isn't he ? These are the types worth spending a few million on at our level. It's beyond stupid to lay out the huge money we have for strikers with no real goal scoring pedigree.

Then they stand there on the side lines scratching their heads and thinking up every excuse in the book as to why they aren't scoring.

Football genius !   

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, what would you make if we did sign him? (Which I doubt, would be surprised to see us sign anyone)

I know you repeatedly dismiss the quality of the SPL and also dont think we need any attacking players.

For what its worth, a natural winger is needed IMO and I have seen Jones a few times, and he is a good player. I would much prefer him permanently though.

Yes I would. I actually this player to you around 13 months ago as someone we should sign on a social media forum. 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on Jones, but Armstrong lacks the intelligence to play up front, forever offside and for me best on the right. I would like to see Jones left, Armstrong right, and obviously as our only competent striker, Graham up top, and play Holtby as a number 10.

Forever offside? last game at home Armstrong was offside once. 

would like to see Graham and Armstrong partnership up front for a few games

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I would. I actually this player to you around 13 months ago as someone we should sign on a social media forum. 

Forever offside? last game at home Armstrong was offside once. 

would like to see Graham and Armstrong partnership up front for a few games

Do you think we will sign a winger, keeper, cb and lb? 

Do you think we have a chance of the play offs without signing anyone?

What has happened to Schmidt?!

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think we will sign a winger, keeper, cb and lb? 

Do you think we have a chance of the play offs without signing anyone?

What has happened to Schmidt?!

who knows? asking the wrong person 

We need a keeper and left back in and I think we can make playoffs. Wide open 

No idea. Was he over here signing a pre contract for the summer transfer? is he thinking the move here? 

51 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't know if you think he's a striker or something, but he isn't. Those goals are at least primarily from midfield. Attacking mid (in what I assume is a broadly Dack-like role) and RW. I think he has been moved around in the past, CM, LW, occasionally striker I think. I think continuing those stats in numerous different positions over a season is even more impressive. The goals might not be Dack numbers, but he's an assists machine. 'A few assists' is like saying Dack scores 'a few goals'. That many goal contributions over the last four-and-a-half seasons is definitely lighting up League One.

As for why is he still down there, his contract has a 2.5 million release clause and Peterborough have been insisting on it being met. Fairly sure he has been transfer listed since last summer? But 2.5 million is still considered a lot to gamble on a League One player. Players do move out of there for that kind of money or more, but there aren't too many. Point of reference, we paid 750k for Dack. If I remember rightly he had been available for about 1.5 million the season before after winning League One POTY and nobody bit.

Since the summer, he has only had a year left on his deal. See Bauer for how clubs deal with League One players on the last year of their deal. If the fee is fairly big, they'd rather wait, as they know the player will step up in the summer for free now they know higher league clubs are looking.

Sure we can all agree that Dack and Bauer are good enough for the Championship, but neither we nor others were willing to pay in the millions for either.

They are some fierce stats. 15, 16, 17 assists, plus 8 or 9 goals. 

Yes its league one but taking him on a free, or a small fee in January would certainly be worth risk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Impressive stars. A level below but still. Seems like he could make an impact. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Any news from your source at the club? 

Nope other than it’s very quiet on the transfer front, can see a couple of loans to buy and that will be our lot. More outgoings than incomings , none of which I’m greatly sad to lose with either loss of talent through age or never had talents leaving 

7 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

no all those promotions that would be awful wouldn't it, but he's yesterdays man no doubt.

Yes. Yes he is. That’s why he’s retiring at the end of the season. The days of Neil Warnock getting sides in the Premier League are over. There’s a reason for that.

The game has changed. Three, four years ago, he’d still be one of the best there is, but at this stage now I just don’t think he’s with the times anymore.

Mowbray the same. Tony Mowbray will never get any side on the Premier League for the rest of his managerial career. It’s a completely different ball game heading into this decade. These English older managers simply don’t have the right recruitment, the right contacts in these foreign markets, they can’t control big ego players.

Mowbray won’t sign a player unless he’s a nice lad, fits in and doesn’t break the mould, by his own wording. But that holds us back. For too long we’ve been a team full of nice guys, Fist pumping and rolling over against tough teams.

We could do with a few pricks, a few selfish and egotistical lads. We need some fire. It’s so bland right now it’s scary.

26 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yes. Yes he is. That’s why he’s retiring at the end of the season. The days of Neil Warnock getting sides in the Premier League are over. There’s a reason for that.

The game has changed. Three, four years ago, he’d still be one of the best there is, but at this stage now I just don’t think he’s with the times anymore.

Mowbray the same. Tony Mowbray will never get any side on the Premier League for the rest of his managerial career. It’s a completely different ball game heading into this decade. These English older managers simply don’t have the right recruitment, the right contacts in these foreign markets, they can’t control big ego players.

Mowbray won’t sign a player unless he’s a nice lad, fits in and doesn’t break the mould, by his own wording. But that holds us back. For too long we’ve been a team full of nice guys, Fist pumping and rolling over against tough teams.

We could do with a few pricks, a few selfish and egotistical lads. We need some fire. It’s so bland right now it’s scary.

Savage and Bellamy spring to mind

• Like 1

Would be pointless signing this JJ on just a loan. This isnt a loan for some PL academy kid where there is no chance of a permanent such as Tosin. This is a player we could realistically sign, so just agreeing a loan would end up costing us more if he were to do well and then we decide we want him permanently. Either a loan to buy with a fee already agreed or just get him in permanently now. 

Not sure he is what we really need right now anyway, he certainly will not be replacing Dacks goals with a 1 in 10 strike rate. A proper winger perhaps that can get balls into the area and thus increase our goal return in other ways.

Get a left back and push Downing further up could give us that anyway - though Downing usually crosses from deep as he does not have the pace to beat players and get to the byline these days. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Tony Mowbray could be offered Cristiano Ronaldo on a 6-month no-fee loan, and he'd turn it down, citing his known selfish attitude and English not being his first language. He wouldn't fit in with the group. We'll go for Jordan Jones instead. He'll fit in ;) 

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Would be pointless signing this JJ on just a loan. This isnt a loan for some PL academy kid where there is no chance of a permanent such as Tosin. This is a player we could realistically sign, so just agreeing a loan would end up costing us more if he were to do well and then we decide we want him permanently. Either a loan to buy with a fee already agreed or just get him in permanently now. 

Not sure he is what we really need right now anyway, he certainly will not be replacing Dacks goals with a 1 in 10 strike rate. A proper winger perhaps that can get balls into the area and thus increase our goal return in other ways.

Get a left back and push Downing further up could give us that anyway - though Downing usually crosses from deep as he does not have the pace to beat players and get to the byline these days. 

I have to say signing a winger when we've got a number of players who have performed not brilliant, but okay, in that role while neglecting GK, Full Back and Striker would be mental. But unfortunately not very surprising with our management team.

We've been creating plenty of chances. We just can't finish them and concede for fun.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Tony Mowbray could be offered Cristiano Ronaldo on a 6-month no-fee loan, and he'd turn it down, citing his known selfish attitude and English not being his first language. He wouldn't fit in with the group. We'll go for Jordan Jones instead. He'll fit in ;) 

Plus he hasn't played for Middlesbrough, West Brom or Coventry and I'm sure he was pictured in ripped jeans.

☺️

• Like 5

Well I for one am quite excited about the Jones link. If it's a loan with a view to purchase that is. We don't have a proper winger other than Chapman. Downing doesn't have the legs to beat a man and whip a ball in, but does have fantastic ability to cross from deep. Rothwell cuts inside and very rarely has an end product and Armstrong has pace to burn but again the final ball is lacking. So if we can bring Jones in and he can start supplying the strikers with better crosses then maybe they might score more. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr. E said:

In hindsight yes this is true. Unlikely, I realize, that he can regain stamina at this age. But we desperately miss someone good at set pieces who can put a proper cross in. If there is anything there, I just wish for TM to keep an open mind in the week of training.  

I expect if Allardyce were here, he'd use Downing in a similar role. midfield sitter and play for set-pieces.

How's Downing's long throws? :lol:

Regarding MGP and set pieces. When we played Wigan in the game that ultimately relegated us we got a free kick in the last minutes of the game. It was a fair way out and towards the right hand side so everybody packed into the goal mouth. It was the last throw of the dice to get an equaliser. The ball had to go into the " mixer " as they say. MGP put the ball into row Z. I couldn't believe what I had just seen ! A school boy could have chipped it into the area between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2