BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

17 minutes ago, Amo said:

How's Downing's long throws? :lol:

Would love it if we had a long throw in the team these days. I remember Rotherham away last season when Semi Ajayi scored from one of theirs, terrible defending yes, but they scored a lot of them. 

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Yes. Yes he is. That’s why he’s retiring at the end of the season. The days of Neil Warnock getting sides in the Premier League are over. There’s a reason for that.

The game has changed. Three, four years ago, he’d still be one of the best there is, but at this stage now I just don’t think he’s with the times anymore.

Mowbray the same. Tony Mowbray will never get any side on the Premier League for the rest of his managerial career. It’s a completely different ball game heading into this decade. These English older managers simply don’t have the right recruitment, the right contacts in these foreign markets, they can’t control big ego players.

Mowbray won’t sign a player unless he’s a nice lad, fits in and doesn’t break the mould, by his own wording. But that holds us back. For too long we’ve been a team full of nice guys, Fist pumping and rolling over against tough teams.

We could do with a few pricks, a few selfish and egotistical lads. We need some fire. It’s so bland right now it’s scary.

He literally got Cardiff to the PL two seasons ago....

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Regarding MGP and set pieces. When we played Wigan in the game that ultimately relegated us we got a free kick in the last minutes of the game. It was a fair way out and towards the right hand side so everybody packed into the goal mouth. It was the last throw of the dice to get an equaliser. The ball had to go into the " mixer " as they say. MGP put the ball into row Z. I couldn't believe what I had just seen ! A school boy could have chipped it into the area between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box.

Probably a few misty-eyes when it comes to the quality of MGP's set-pieces. With the amount of corners, free-kicks, and long-throws that he took (esp under Allardyce) it was simple law of averages that he'd set-up a few.

Very much a MOTD player, imo. Obviously a cut above some of the dross we have now but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He literally got Cardiff to the PL two seasons ago....

Two seasons ago the Championship was different to how it is now. He's retiring. I think that's about right.

1 hour ago, Amo said:

I expect if Allardyce were here, he'd use Downing in a similar role. midfield sitter and play for set-pieces.

How's Downing's long throws? :lol:

Yet this guy brings him in at 35 years old to try and cover several inadequaces instead of looking to rinse the last of his strengths out of him to make us a better team.

Sums up Mowbrays approach compared to the likes of Allardyce to a tee.

MGP gave us very good service.

However, I think his days as a force are over - possibly at any level.

Two 'memories' for me, his winner against Burnley at the Darwen End in an FA Cup replay and, sadly, his missed header in the FA Cup Semi against Chelsea at Old Trafford (normally, he would have buried it). 

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Two seasons ago the Championship was different to how it is now. He's retiring. I think that's about right.

Neil Warnock would get a club promoted even now. He knows what it takes to get out of this league. He's retiring because he is 71 not because his time in football has come.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I think the Championship is as weak now as it has been for a while.

Any team with an ounce of organisation and a solid game plan could challenge top 6. Including Warnock's style.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, bluebruce said:

You're doing him a serious disservice. Just the League stats:

2015/16 - 11 goals, 13 assists.

2016/17 - 9 goals, 17 assists.

2017/18 - 8 goals, 16 assists.

2018/19 - 8 goals, 15 assists.

2019/20 - 9 goals, 6 assists (so far).

I don't know if you think he's a striker or something, but he isn't. Those goals are at least primarily from midfield. Attacking mid (in what I assume is a broadly Dack-like role) and RW. I think he has been moved around in the past, CM, LW, occasionally striker I think. I think continuing those stats in numerous different positions over a season is even more impressive. The goals might not be Dack numbers, but he's an assists machine. 'A few assists' is like saying Dack scores 'a few goals'. That many goal contributions over the last four-and-a-half seasons is definitely lighting up League One.

As for why is he still down there, his contract has a 2.5 million release clause and Peterborough have been insisting on it being met. Fairly sure he has been transfer listed since last summer? But 2.5 million is still considered a lot to gamble on a League One player. Players do move out of there for that kind of money or more, but there aren't too many. Point of reference, we paid 750k for Dack. If I remember rightly he had been available for about 1.5 million the season before after winning League One POTY and nobody bit.

Since the summer, he has only had a year left on his deal. See Bauer for how clubs deal with League One players on the last year of their deal. If the fee is fairly big, they'd rather wait, as they know the player will step up in the summer for free now they know higher league clubs are looking.

Sure we can all agree that Dack and Bauer are good enough for the Championship, but neither we nor others were willing to pay in the millions for either.

A lot of assists alright. 

Not sure about your point that teams are not willing to spend big on League 1 players. We got very lucky with Dack, if I recall correctly he was meant to move to Bristol city for £2.5 million before his "little" scandal. 

Then you have this list https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB3 

Many players moving from League 1 for a lot more than £2.5 million and some a good while ago. 

I just feel if it was as straightforward with Maddision as the stats suggest, someone would have spent £2.5 million on him. It just doesn't add up to me. 

• Like 1

I think it will be another underwhelming window we've no cash to spend Mowbray should have cut the dross in the summer Smallwood Bell Samuel etc he didn't. I think we'll be lucky to get one or two loans in that won't cover the key areas we need re enforcement

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I think it will be another underwhelming window we've no cash to spend Mowbray should have cut the dross in the summer Smallwood Bell Samuel etc he didn't. I think we'll be lucky to get one or two loans in that won't cover the key areas we need re enforcement

This 100%

His version of planning seems to be well put it off and just see what happens.

Should have had a clear out in summer whilst there was chance and made some room. 

• Like 2

Mowbray press conference

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/rovers-press-conference-mowbray-live-17533944.amp?__twitter_impression=true

“We’re having conversations to bring people in. They’re early negotiations - some are very expensive early on.”

“We have to play the waiting game. I don’t think January’s a great window to bring players in. They have to get used to the we play.”

Pedersen on Rovers

“It would be a dream come true to walk back out at Ewood Park. It would be unfair to make such comments before a big game, I’m just happy to be back.”

Mowbray on Pedersen

“We won’t be signing a 38-year-old ex-player. He phoned if he could come in and use our training facilities.

“He couldn’t train with the first team as we are professional outfit preparing for our next game.”

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray press conference

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/rovers-press-conference-mowbray-live-17533944.amp?__twitter_impression=true

“We’re having conversations to bring people in. They’re early negotiations - some are very expensive early on.”

“We have to play the waiting game. I don’t think January’s a great window to bring players in. They have to get used to the we play.”

I know they are quotes out of context, but nearly every one of those Mowbray quotes in that article wound me up.

Edited by toogs
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray press conference

IMO, bullsh1t.

I think all potential names / signings linked so far would be pointless other than Bialkowski who I think would improve our 1st ream goalkeeping position over Walton / Leutwiler.

After what Mowbray said in Blues almost a year ago, and what subsequently HAS NOT happened, I can't take anything he says seriously about player trading.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned ,but his quote about "not being able to find a cheap Bradley Dack" is absurd. Does he not remember how much Dack cost? Dack himself was a cheap Bradley Dack!

Then the comments about Brentford like they are doing something magical. The recruitment is on him!!!

Absolutely.

After 3 years at the club, he can have no excuses.

Other than Dack, I think Mowbay's player trading has generally been appalling.

• Like 7