BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, J*B said:

JRC has a Burnley tattoo - we can all get over things. 

Haha he nearly signed for them lot before Rovers stepped in, he had a trial their but didn't fancy playing in a cat3 academy and as soon as Rovers came calling with cat1 it was no contest

1 minute ago, Vilesinner said:

No, they don't. We had better players than him remain to help us out of League 1.

And How many were offered £14k/week to sign for Bournemouth? 

Mahony is a Rovers fan from a Rovers family when someone offers to make you a millionaire over the period of your contract unfortunately the fan in them gets put on the back burner

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Rankin Costello impressed me massively when he played in the league cup earlier in the season. He always looked the most suited for a step up imo. But the two young keepers, Butterworth, Lyons, Mols, Buckley, Evans and Vale are all very exciting. And we have some excellent young defenders too. I am positive 2 or 3 should get a chance this year. 

I would like to see Fisher and Hilton gave a game each towards the end of the season if Playoffs chance are out of reach at that stage. 

We have to see how well Butterworth comes back from his injury. 

Mols is 21 years old isn't he? maybe he need to leave to further his career. 

Hopefully we can develop Whitehall and Barnes into good centre back options for the future. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The main 2 that get mentions are Rankin Costello and Buckley it seems, and the former has only made one sub League appearance (and made a promising start) and the latter looks absolutely miles off being able to play a part at this level and needs to go down the leagues. If any youth players come through it is a massive bonus and money saved, but history suggests that most of your list wont make it here.

If we are to loan Buckley out(something I wouldn't do) then we need to find the right club that will aide his develop not hinder it like some young footballers it does. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not bizarre when he was dumped by Coyle and then had to make a decision about whether to work with the wingless wonder. He made the right choice as he’d have been wasted here.

I remember thinking at the time that I genuinely wouldn't have blamed any player from leaving if they got the chance at that point. Felt like an empty vessel of a club.

I'd like to think he would have a lot more to think about if he was coming through now. Mowbray was on record in saying that he would've started in league 1 too, if I recall, so it might have turned out to be for the best for the lad for him to stay, but certainly can't blame him for going given how we all felt at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not true. It really depends on the person. Look at Shearer. 

Yes but you are a player first and a fan second. Of course all players still have the favourite clubs that they support and like Shearer, hope to one day represent them. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not true. It really depends on the person. Look at Shearer. 

Bit of a difference there to compare Mahoney and Shearer I think, yes it was his boyhood club but Shearer was in his prime and moved for a world record fee to the side that had finished second in the premier league, and looked like it could go on and win things for the foreseeable future.

Mahoney was a kid who had just been relegated to league one, on pittance, and moved to a top flight club on 14k a week as mentioned above. I don't blame any player, whether they are a fan or not for taking the route that Mahoney did.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Name a player since Shearer that its affected?

Gerrard, Carragher, G. Neville, Dunn.

Although if anything that just proves your point re: what rare cases they are.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Bit of a difference there to compare Mahoney and Shearer I think, yes it was his boyhood club but Shearer was in his prime and moved for a world record fee to the side that had finished second in the premier league, and looked like it could go on and win things for the foreseeable future.

Mahoney was a kid who had just been relegated to league one, on pittance, and moved to a top flight club on 14k a week as mentioned above. I don't blame any player, whether they are a fan or not taking the route that Mahoney did.

Equally, he could've moved at any point in the following decade, but never did.

Just now, Mike E said:

Pretty sure that you could find many more examples - those are just the high profile ones that everyone knows.

Just now, Mike E said:

All multi millionaires playing for top flight clubs wining things on a regular basis,

I wonder how many would have hung around on £1500/week in league 1 when some one offers you 10x your wage and the chance (that granted didn't materialise) to play in the Premier League

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

All multi millionaires playing for top flight clubs wining things on a regular basis,

I wonder how many would have hung around on £1500/week in league 1 when some one offers you 10x your wage and the chance (that granted didn't materialise) to play in the Premier League

I think we all agree he left for the money 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Wheelton born and bred to be Rovers fans. Best village to grow up in the early 80’s

Are those villages to the west (Brinscall, Wheelton, Abbey Village, Withnell) mainly Rovers?

They should be, of course. But doesn’t always work out that way. 

15 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Mahoney was a kid who had just been relegated to league one, on pittance, and moved to a top flight club on 14k a week as mentioned above. I don't blame any player, whether they are a fan or not for taking the route that Mahoney did.

Ya but he picked them over United where he would have gotten more money and the opportunity to win even more. I responded to the post saying that once you become a pro, who you support goes out the window. I gave the example of Shearer and I think it stands up for the reasons I just gave. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya but he picked them over United where he would have gotten more money and the opportunity to win even more. I responded to the post saying that once you become a pro, who you support goes out the window. I gave the example of Shearer and I think it stands up for the reasons I just gave. 

Not entirely out the window, but the fact Newcastle were a top side was part of it .

Would a peak Shearer in 2020 go to Newcastle over say, Liverpool or City just because he was a fan?

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not entirely out the window, but the fact Newcastle were a top side was part of it .

Would a peak Shearer in 2020 go to Newcastle over say, Liverpool or City just because he was a fan?

Well that's hypothetical. In reality not only did he join Newcastle over a club who offered more money and more opportunities to win trophies because he supported them, he also stayed with them long-term. No doubt he had opportunities to leave. 

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

At that time in 1996, there was no evidence that he would have gotten more money at Man Utd, or that he would have won more trophies.

Newcastle had just finished 2nd in the top flight, smashed the world record transfer fee to get him (i'm sure his wage was pretty good too) and looked like they could go on for a spell as a top side in the country winning trophies, obviously the latter didn't happen.

As Skip said, you can't compare all the names mentioned to Mahoney as they were all multi millionaires playing for one of the top sides in the country, find me an example of somebody in league one who turned down top flight offers because he was at the club he supported?

Edited by MarkBRFC

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well that's hypothetical. In reality not only did he join Newcastle over a club who offered more money and more opportunities to win trophies because he supported them, he also stayed with them long-term. No doubt he had opportunities to leave. 

He wasn’t the same player post his 1998 injury so I don’t think the elite clubs were ever interested again, so no surprise he stayed.

Newcastle were a top side in 1996. In a pre oil, even pre-Wenger (Post Rovers :() era they were seen as part of the elite for the foreseeable and they paid massive wages, so who said he’s be offered more cash at United? 

So why wouldn’t he have moved there, considering he was a fan too? Win, win.

Let’s not pretend he was blindly following his heart over his head and slumming it. He went there to win.

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Are those villages to the west (Brinscall, Wheelton, Abbey Village, Withnell) mainly Rovers?

They should be, of course. But doesn’t always work out that way. 

Used to be Rovers strongholds even way before the Jack era. Like anywhere else lads move away and there are a lot of people from Manchester / Bolton area move up there now.

No doubt the local youth are TV team supporters now by and large.