BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't Harrsion Reed's girlfriend/wife not like it up North?

Rumour has it we were piddling around with a derisory offer for a loan this season followed by a permanent move.

Then Fulham came in offering what Southampton were actually asking.

As such we would never have been realistically in the running regardless of what his girlfriend wanted.

Offering the vendor Club the going rate for a quality player you really like.

Who' ever would have thought it?  Our usual modus operandi seems to be to offer a fraction of what the player is worth, hope the vendor Club are daft enough to take it and then act all hurt surprised and complain how impossible the market is when they don't.

• Like 3

The buying club has to make the player feel really wanted. Make that player a good offer, sell him the club, convince him that you are going places and work from there. As I've said before when you are a professional footballer with a short career especially in Reed's position (hitting mid 20s and not getting a shot at Southampton) then you can't be fussy about what part of the country you live in. It's part of the job.

Think he'd turn down a move to Liverpool because his bird didn't fancy living on Merseyside? Not a chance. It would clearly be a bigger task persuading a player to come here than Liverpool but the principle is the same - make a good offer, make the player see you mean business and give him a decision to make.

In typical Venky Rovers fashion it seems we did very little for Reed other than tried another loan deal with heavily subsidised wages and sat back hoping nobody else came in with a better offer. That was how we got him in the first place but we didn't get so lucky second time round when Fulham offered what was needed.

He was probably naffed off anyway at being left on the bench or played out wide most weeks behind the likes of Smallwood, Evan's and Bennett.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Firm belief in my camp (me and my girlfriend nattering away) that the loss of Harrison Reed is a massive reason for our downfall in work rate performances. There's a lack of urgency, fighting spirit and work rate for me. I like Johnson but he doesn't get about enough. Evans the same. Downing isn't a holding midfielder because he doesn't have the legs, but is continuously played there. Gallagher and Armstrong don't put in enough effort either. In fact, minus the first 30 minutes at Preston I've never really seen Sam Gallagher chase much down.

Lewis Travis & Harrison Reed as our midfield rock would've really been something special IMO.

You say that but weren’t Travis and Reed our CM two at home to Boro last season when we couldn’t even get out of our own third?

Edit: my bad it was Evans and Reed. Would explain it with the former being in the midfield!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

I'm probably wrong, but I can only recall Travis and Reed playing in central midfield together twice last season.

Wigan at home and Derby at home, both resounding victories in that horrific run in February/March.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

January we need a centre half and a left back as priority. We also need the second GK he said he was getting last summer. This is survival business only.

I am talking about strengthening the side in summer by doing a deal in Jan to secure a top quality pro / leader.

Status in summer :-

GK

Walton end of loan

Leutwiler out of contract

i.e we have no keepers. We need 2 new on contract plus a proper GK coach.

Defence

Cunningham already wont play for us again so, unless we buy him....

Toshin end of loan

Hart & Bell out of contract.

Mulgrew (return or sell). Must preseme sell.

Midfield

Smallwood, Bennett, Downing out of contract

Forward

Graham & Samuel out of contract

Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton not good enough.

So unless I am missing something there will be plenty of saved wages to replace 3rd division players with 2nd division players and add something to make us contenders.

That is before we sell anyone. Evans in Jan ? Dack in summer? Lenihan because hes a donkey?

If of course Mowbray decides to give all the above extended contracts to 2023 then we will probably both agree who has lost their sanity.

Leutwiler

Bell

Bennett, Downing

Samuel

I'd expect will all get new contracts at some point whilst the old boys club rolls on and on.

Have just been flicking through t'internet and I reckon when our scouts were watching Dijon, they were looking at the young striker Mavididi. He is with the same agency as Gallagher and Walton. Think I remember reading we were interested in him at the start of last season.

He's currently on loan there from Juventus U23s and is about as prolific as our strikers. 1 goal in 10 appearances.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Have just been flicking through t'internet and I reckon when our scouts were watching Dijon, they were looking at the young striker Mavididi. He is with the same agency as Gallagher and Walton. Think I remember reading we were interested in him at the start of last season.

He's currently on loan there from Juventus U23s and is about as prolific as our strikers. 1 goal in 10 appearances.

A perfect Rovers signing as long as he's expensive too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I think it was this guy

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/senou-coulibaly/profil/spieler/596240

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Yep. Wasn’t deemed able to play his position as well as our now 6th choice centre mid Richie Smallwood. Reed now starts for Fulham, good call that one. 

In a nutshell.

Tony just isn't a good judge of a player. That's probably his single biggest problem, closely followed by having no clue where to play them on the pitch.

• Like 2

The patronising way he speaks about Nyambe and Chapman in recent interviews got up my nose as well.

I can't see either being happy with that.

Go Tony, before you do any more damage.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 6

• Backroom

I see Ivan Toney who many of us suggested as a cheap back up option is now being touted at a £10m plus transfer fee in January 

An outlay of less than a million would have got him at the time, we really did use that striker money in an awful way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I see Ivan Toney who many of us suggested as a cheap back up option is now being touted at a £10m plus transfer fee in January 

An outlay of less than a million would have got him at the time, we really did use that striker money in an awful way!

Let's be honest even if we'd have signed him he'd have spent months sat on the bench with odd 20 minute appearances when losing or played in a position that he isnt used to doing. 

Peterborough have that knack of developing quality players particularly attackers and selling them on for big money. Apparently what we try to do here but with successful results.

• Like 3

On 13/11/2019 at 08:22, K-Hod said:

Hearing Mowbray say he needed to play centre mid like Smallwood is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. 
No wonder he cleared off.

“Harrison needs to learn a bit of discipline about central midfield in my opinion. Normally I play Smallwood and Evans in the middle of the pitch because they stop the counter-attacks and play their position."

Just now, Amo said:

“Harrison needs to learn a bit of discipline about central midfield in my opinion. Normally I play Smallwood and Evans in the middle of the pitch because they stop the counter-attacks and play their position."

No wonder Travis rarely makes those forward passes and driving runs forward anymore. 

• Like 8

On 13/11/2019 at 16:45, 47er said:

The patronising way he speaks about Nyambe and Chapman in recent interviews got up my nose as well.

I can't see either being happy with that.

Go Tony, before you do any more damage.

Where this differs a little is that Chapman is his own signing. Generally, player he has signed are exempt from criticism as that can be reflected back on him. Easier to criticism the young lads coming through the ranks than players he used the clubs cash to purchase. 

All I can assume is Chapman was not a player he really wanted and was used to appease fans as he know they loved him.

Edited by JacknOry

7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Where this differs a little is that Chapman is his own signing. Generally, player he has signed are exempt from criticism as that can be reflected back on him. Easier to criticism the young lads coming through the ranks than players he used the clubs cash to purchase. 

All I can assume is Chapman was not a player he really wanted and was used to appease fans as he know they loved him.

That's what it sounds like to me.