BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Would sooner rather see Karl Darlow from Newcastle than Gayle... we NEED a goalkeeper way more than we need a striker. Sam Gallagher still has a chance of coming good, and his performance at Preston, and sub appearance at Stoke gives promise. We don't have a permanent number one goalkeeper, that's the urgent issue which needs fixing.

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Where did you see this link? I am sure Bruce has told him he'll get his chance this season at Newcastle.

Would love him to come to Rovers. He's deadly in this league.

It was in a story linking us to a Ross County(?) striker - Gayle was mentioned as it was a Stoke led article I believe from memory.

57 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

I’ve read somewhere he’s available for £15m after only featuring four times this season for the mint humbugs. 

If they think they're getting 15 million for him at 30, I think they're in for a surprise.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Would sooner rather see Karl Darlow from Newcastle than Gayle... we NEED a goalkeeper way more than we need a striker. Sam Gallagher still has a chance of coming good, and his performance at Preston, and sub appearance at Stoke gives promise. We don't have a permanent number one goalkeeper, that's the urgent issue which needs fixing.

A goalkeeper and a left back are absolutely essential imo. Could do with a CB and RB as well but that'll probably have to wait until the summer at least. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, DE. said:

A goalkeeper and a left back are absolutely essential imo. Could do with a CB and RB as well but that'll probably have to wait until the summer at least. 

It's all a bit of a movable feast at the moment. Some weeks we look weak in some areas, in other weeks it changes. Only position I would say we are "strong" in is midfield. We could do with GK, LB, CB and ST in that priority order. I would have said RB a few weeks ago but I think we can survive with Nyambe and Bennett.

• Like 3

• Backroom

My concern with Nyambe is that he seems to struggle to maintain fitness, and I don't rate Bennett much at RB at all. You're right that we can probably survive with those two as our primary options for now, but if we want to progress I think it's an area we need to address. If we're going to sign another striker we need to offload at least one of Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel or Armstrong. Ideally I'd say sell Samuel and loan out Brereton. 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2019 at 14:55, Roverinbelfast said:

Whats Joe Hart doing this season? Sell him the playoff dream and a chance to be in the premier league next season.

Nevermind Joe Hart, I'd go after Burnley's third choice - Bailey Peacock Farrell.  Very young for a goalie but has put in some assured displays last season at Leeds and for Northern Ireland.  Hasn't got a sniff of first team action since a poorly thought out move to the premier league.  Offer Burnley their £2m back and give him regular football and we'd have a keeper who is only going to get better over the next decade.

• Like 2

Just now, belfast_rover said:

Nevermind Joe Hart, I'd go after Burnley's third choice - Bailey Peacock Farrell.  Very young for a goalie but has put in some assured displays last season at Leeds and for Northern Ireland.  Hasn't got a sniff of first team action since a poorly thought out move to the premier league.  Offer Burnley their £2m back and give him regular football and we'd have a keeper who is only going to get better over the next decade.

I dont rate him. He looks no better than walton from what I have seen 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

We need an experienced keeper. We have Fisher and Hilton as promising young ones. I would go for Hennessey at Palace. Initial loan with a view to purchase. 

Other options could be Stekelenburg, Kalinic, Darlow, Ruddy. 

I just feel that this has to be the area that we focus on. It's such an underestimated position and one that can't be overlooked. How many title/league winning teams had a weak link in goal? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

My concern with Nyambe is that he seems to struggle to maintain fitness

This isnt a problem if you have proper conditioning coaches, actually played him consistently for a run of games and tell him he's got the shirt.  He's by far our best right back and he may develop into a centre half....I just cant help thinking he should be a lot further on and Mowbray has hindered his overall development,  at the same time depriving the club of its investment returns.  He really is a shite manager 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

This isnt a problem if you have proper conditioning coaches, actually played him consistently for a run of games and tell him he's got the shirt.  He's by far our best right back and he may develop into a centre half....I just cant help thinking he should be a lot further on and Mowbray has hindered his overall development,  at the same time depriving the club of its investment returns.  He really is a shite manager 

I think he cramps up after 60mins due to wearing medium boys-sized shorts.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DE. said:

My concern with Nyambe is that he seems to struggle to maintain fitness, and I don't rate Bennett much at RB at all. You're right that we can probably survive with those two as our primary options for now, but if we want to progress I think it's an area we need to address. If we're going to sign another striker we need to offload at least one of Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel or Armstrong. Ideally I'd say sell Samuel and loan out Brereton. 

I think that Nyambe is one big reason for our upturn in form to be honest. He has been a lot braver going forward, was probably the second best player on the pitch versus Brentford and without his first time pass to Dack away to Stoke we would not have won. Definitely number one RB in my book and he deserves a good run. He does have the odd slip up I admit, but not nearly as many as a right winger playing in his position. 

It is always worth upgrading in all positions but for me, LB, Gk, and CB are priority areas that need strengthening. Midfield is fine for now while up front we have 15 million worth of talent (apparently). Tosin has been great with Lenihan but lets be honest, there is more chance of me stealing Dacks missus than there is us signing him up permanently. I dont think Williams is the answer despite some decent performances and besides, we need strengthening there anyway. LB, well, thats our massive weak link right now despite Downing doing a good job there (and he is 35).

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Cunningham goin back to cardiff after xmas according to LT and a few (idiots) supporters in the comments section actually suggest its ok because we have Bell. Sometimes I think it should be illegal to be a football fan unless you have played on grass rather than an xbox.

Would love to know what Bell that "they think it's all over..." has been watching. Ludicrous comments.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Cunningham goin back to cardiff after xmas according to LT and a few (idiots) supporters in the comments section actually suggest its ok because we have Bell. Sometimes I think it should be illegal to be a football fan unless you have played on grass rather than an xbox.

I've played on grass before, was hilarious.

• Like 3

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think that Nyambe is one big reason for our upturn in form to be honest. He has been a lot braver going forward, was probably the second best player on the pitch versus Brentford and without his first time pass to Dack away to Stoke we would not have won. Definitely number one RB in my book and he deserves a good run. He does have the odd slip up I admit, but not nearly as many as a right winger playing in his position. 

It is always worth upgrading in all positions but for me, LB, Gk, and CB are priority areas that need strengthening. Midfield is fine for now while up front we have 15 million worth of talent (apparently). Tosin has been great with Lenihan but lets be honest, there is more chance of me stealing Dacks missus than there is us signing him up permanently. I dont think Williams is the answer despite some decent performances and besides, we need strengthening there anyway. LB, well, thats our massive weak link right now despite Downing doing a good job there (and he is 35).

Yeah I'd agree, RB is a position that probably needs looking at more in the summer (proper competition for Nyambe, not Bennett) than in January. LB is definitely the #1 priority with Cunningham no longer available. Anything after that would be a bonus. Although in truth considering our lack of activity last January even getting in a LB would probably be a bonus.

• Like 1

Could the City lad be adequate cover for Nayambe if we bring in a centre back and Lenihen stays fit? Not ideal but doing ok with Nayambe there and with another centre back perhaps we can limp along to the summer. Certainly left back is more pressing as we only have a 35 year old midfielder who is any good there! 

Edit: Oh and a keeper. We don't even have someone who is arguably ok in this position. 

Edited by Blue blood