BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

On 80k wages I believe at Southampton. You would be lucky if we would have paid 25% of his wages. Celtic can pay more. 

We look a few keepers like Darlow from Newcastle and Martinez from Arsenal. Plus a couple of foriegn ones. 

No we dont have a problem at all. We either play Rothwell or Holtby in the 10 role. Or move Armstrong up front and play 4-4-2. 

A striker should be our least priority in this window. 

Keeper, left back, centre back 1st priorities. 

If Dack gets injured or sold there goes our only goal threat. Maybe not top priority but still a concern.

And the Martinez mention was just a vague rumour if i recall.

24 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

We do have a problem if Dack was to get injured. Our strikers don't score very often. Derek Williams is our 3rd top scorer with 3 goals. 

A proven Championship goalscorer would be ideal, but only if we sort the defence out first.

The problem is that we basically set up for Dack to score. DG or whoever is up top is the target man and Dack and the other two beside him are meant to pick up the pieces. its easy to say lets just go and buy a 20 a season striker but it would mean completely changing the way we play. In a slight defense to TM, he has tried to do that this season - perhaps because he knows Dack will be off sooner or later.

Armstrong and Rothwell should be getting better numbers rather than the striker in my opinion. I am a fan of Rothwell but the last two games he has not impressed. I do believe that given a run this may improve as it did at the end of last season. Arma also needs to be producing more of an end product. 

Imagine a team of Dack, Benrahma and Bowen as the three behind

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Dack gets injured or sold there goes our only goal threat. Maybe not top priority but still a concern.

And the Martinez mention was just a vague rumour if i recall.

Martinez rumour came from someone on here. 

I dont see Dack going anywhere in January. 

We have plenty.of options to deal with.any injury

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Martinez rumour came from someone on here. 

I dont see Dack going anywhere in January. 

We have plenty.of options to deal with.any injury

Yeah just a rumour just like Joe Hart.

We dont have anyone who can get close to Dacks consistent goal contributions.

53 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The problem is that we basically set up for Dack to score. DG or whoever is up top is the target man and Dack and the other two beside him are meant to pick up the pieces. its easy to say lets just go and buy a 20 a season striker but it would mean completely changing the way we play. In a slight defense to TM, he has tried to do that this season - perhaps because he knows Dack will be off sooner or later.

Armstrong and Rothwell should be getting better numbers rather than the striker in my opinion. I am a fan of Rothwell but the last two games he has not impressed. I do believe that given a run this may improve as it did at the end of last season. Arma also needs to be producing more of an end product. 

Imagine a team of Dack, Benrahma and Bowen as the three behind

Well we paid out enough money to get us 20 goals a season striker. We just haven't had the goals.

• Moderation Lead

It’s all well and good saying we’ve got options for if Dack leaves/gets injured, but I bet none of them bang in as many goals as he does...

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 6

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yeah just a rumour just like Joe Hart.

We dont have anyone who can get close to Dacks consistent goal contributions.

Well the Martinez rumour came from this site. Suggest you speak to that person. Not me. 

Well until someone played that role we never know. Or we change the way we play. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

On 80k wages I believe at Southampton. You would be lucky if we would have paid 25% of his wages. Celtic can pay more. 

We look a few keepers like Darlow from Newcastle and Martinez from Arsenal. Plus a couple of foriegn ones. 

No we dont have a problem at all. We either play Rothwell or Holtby in the 10 role. Or move Armstrong up front and play 4-4-2. 

We actually do NEED a real striker (ie one who can strike) but assuming funds are limited I agree the defence is the priority. we just don't have the resources to cover for iinjury/suspensions.

Just now, K-Hod said:

It’s all well and good saying we’ve got options for if Dack leaves/gets injured, but I bet none of them bang in as many goals as he does...

Exactly. To be honest, any team with a player like that, take Bowen away from Hull, Mitrovic from Fulham, Watkins from Brentford, Grabban from Forest etc and they wouldnt be able to replace them to the same degree. The top attacking players in the league. Compound that with our lack of goals from other attacking players and its a major problem when he does move on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I 100% agree that keeper,left back and centre back have to be our priorities, but like I have said on a couple of occasions, if there is still something in the pot to loan or bring in a striker, that scores goals, we should do it. We can't rely on Dack to get us promoted single handedly. If he was out injured for let's say a month, there is no evidence to say Rothwell, Holtby, Gallagher, Graham or Brereton will contribute sufficiently to help us sustain a challenge at the right end of the table.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 47er said:

We actually do NEED a real striker (ie one who can strike) but assuming funds are limited I agree the defence is the priority. we just don't have the resources to cover for iinjury/suspensions.

I can't honestly see the Chicken Chokers giving Mowbray the cheque book again. Especially to buy a striker when he;s already splashed the cash on two, three if you count Armstrong as a striker. The best we can hope for is a promising young loan player up front.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope we sign a decent keeper on a permanent, for competition if nothing else. I suspect we might. 

After that then, Cunningham would be good, but risky with the injury. He wants to stay anyway. 

Would be happy enough with that. I think it's realistic. 

I'd need to know the fully extent of the prognosis regarding Cunningham. If I'm being brutally honest I'd look elsewhere. He can't be the only decent left back out there.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope we sign a decent keeper on a permanent, for competition if nothing else. I suspect we might. 

After that then, Cunningham would be good, but risky with the injury. He wants to stay anyway. 

Would be happy enough with that. I think it's realistic. 

Its not realistic with Lenihan's injury record.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd need to know the fully extent of the prognosis regarding Cunningham. If I'm being brutally honest I'd look elsewhere. He can't be the only decent left back out there.

No, he isn't, but could we do better? I suppose it depends on the fee. If we somehow got him for 1.5 million, it would be a snip. 

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the Martinez rumour came from this site. Suggest you speak to that person. Not me. 

Well until someone played that role we never know. Or we change the way we play. 

Martinez was broke by myself and then came to light in the papers if you good Martinez Blackburn. There was talks 100%

• Like 2

I still think people underestimate our need for more of a threat from an attacking sense. Our team isnt one which is fine going forward but broken at the back, we arent a top 6 team in either department at the moment. Without Dack we are devoid of any other consistent goal threat. Graham is still as critical to us as ever but it is becoming clearer and clearer that it isnt healthy for us to be so reliant on him, and up front, none of Mowbrays big 3 signings have the capability to go on a run of goals from what theyve shown.

The issue with Brewster is no matter how highly rated he is, I dont think hes ever made a League appearance, just a few low priority cup games if im not mistaken, and im not sure if hes scored a senior goal. People can point to Tammy Abraham but he had already proven his capability at this level before he scored the goals to get Villa promoted. Playing for England youth teams is not the same.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I still think people underestimate our need for more of a threat from an attacking sense. Our team isnt one which is fine going forward but broken at the back, we arent a top 6 team in either department at the moment. Without Dack we are devoid of any other consistent goal threat. Graham is still as critical to us as ever but it is becoming clearer and clearer that it isnt healthy for us to be so reliant on him, and up front, none of Mowbrays big 3 signings have the capability to go on a run of goals from what theyve shown.

The issue with Brewster is no matter how highly rated he is, I dont think hes ever made a League appearance, just a few low priority cup games if im not mistaken, and im not sure if hes scored a senior goal. People can point to Tammy Abraham but he had already proven his capability at this level before he scored the goals to get Villa promoted. Playing for England youth teams is not the same.

That's the issue for me. I'm not against bringing in more firepower, arguably we need it, but whoever we bring in is going to need to have the all-round game to be able to step into Graham's boots and contribute in our build up.

If the young lad has the ability to do that, then great, but otherwise he can learn the game in someone else's team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Um yeh but when Abraham went to Bristol he only had 2 league appearances under his belt, which I assume were sub ones as they were for Chelsea. He scored 23 goals for them that season. Think we'd be more than happy with that kind of return.

• Like 1

2 tough away games this week followed by Wigan and Birmingham at home (definately winnable) and Huddersfield away (again a game we have the qualities to win) , it's quite possible rovers  could be in in top 6 by the time the window opens , that might get Venkys in the mood to spend