BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Cant see anyone interested in Lenihan, a rash and injury prone defender, and whilst Travis is young and of course our best central midfielder I cant see many people outside of Ewood taking much note.

I would agree that we wont go down, there is too much crap in this league but not sure that we are much better ourselves. Cardiff are far better than us, they have not coped well with relegation at all and being mid table is a huge surprise but you look at their team, their goalkeeper, centre backs, full backs, central midfielders and wingers are all very good for this league. They are just a bit toothless up front, their big money signing hasnt settled.

Hull have some really poor players but theyve got a couple of good ones and one outstanding goalscorer which sets them apart from many of the others you mentioned. Boro are massively underachieving under a novice manager. Huddersfield again were struggling post relegation under a novice, got plenty of quality, Schindler, Kongolo and Simpson in defence, and again a proven goalscorer in Grant. And Stoke have been in a decline under a terrible culture that is difficult to shift for ages, their new managee may be the man to shift that because ultimately their squad is quite obviously not a bottom 3 one, O'Neill got an instant result playing players in a simple system in their correct positions.

Even though Luton beat us with little in return, I suspect your bottom 3 wont be far away from being correct, and I think we will stay up, but I am far from convinced that we are better than the teams you mentioned, with some getting new managers and Boro due one.

It's weird though because we can't beat Luton but we can beat Wednesday. We're a mid table side because we beat random teams and lose to random teams. The top 10 sides in this division (by and large) beat the teams they should, and lose the games they should. We've just beaten Sheffield Wednesday, not really an expected win for a "relegation side", but then lost to Leeds, which is expected.

We're 7 points down on last season. Apply that to our final total last year, we'd have finished just two places lower in 17th. We're just stuck in a mediocrity, but for me you only need 45 points to stay up in this division most years, and we're still bang on for about 60, worst case 53.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I can name quite a few that we've already beaten? Top half Sheffield Wednesday being one we beat just over a week ago ;)

Absolute WORST CASE scenario I could see us dropping this low, but that's it. Already shown against some alright sides that we're capable of staying up. This team is twice the team that our relegation side of 2016/17 was.

Millwall
Hull City
Middlesbrough
Stoke City
Huddersfield Town
Blackburn Rovers
Reading
-----------------------------
Luton Town (R)
Wigan Athletic (R)
Barnsley (R)

I've seen Wigan enough times this year to know they're off for another League One jolly, Barnsley are shoe ins for last place, and Luton will tail off with their small squad.

Best case scenario we'll finish 15th I think. On our day we've shown we're better than Millwall, Hull, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Stoke etc...

I didn't ask who we've beaten earlier in the season. The question was " Who Do You Think We'll Beat In The Future ?  ". Say between now and the New Year ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't ask who we've beaten earlier in the season. The question was " Who Do You Think We'll Beat In The Future ?  ". Say between now and the New Year ?

Barnsley, Derby, Wigan and Birmingham before January. I think we'll get a draw at Stoke, and maybe a draw at Huddersfield with a nice away following!

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Our next win will be Wigan at Ewood.

Just now, JoeH said:

Fancy throwing out your own? Or just throwing me under the bus ;) 

I've been watching us too long to predict anything with Rovers. I was there for the return fixture two days after we beat West Ham 8-2 away. I learnt my lesson regarding predictions that day. Apart from the 11 playing for West Ham nobody in the country would have predicted a 3-1 win for them.

I'd be delighted if your predictions come true. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've been watching us too long to predict anything with Rovers. I was there for the return fixture two days after we beat West Ham 8-2 away. I learnt my lesson regarding predictions that day. Apart from the 11 playing for West Ham nobody in the country would have predicted a 3-1 win for them.

I'd be delighted if your predictions come true. 

You would be delighted with 4 wins between now and January.

Surely that will be a disaster.

8 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Thing is, Milner is exactly the type of player, leader and role model we should be bringing in.

If Kenny went to Jack and said I want Milner then Jack would go and get him.

Venkys are respecting Jack's legacy so why is it so ridiculous?

This is his last season at Liverpool and he has so much to offer.

The sad thing is how most of you have reset your ambitions to surviving relegation in the Champ.

Or you also think we shouldn't have bought Moran or Cowans or Speedie or Hughes or any of the long list of similar great players for the same reasons ?

I would say I am the only sane one here.

Because it's the wrong position unless we have a ton more budget than we think and can afford to fix the whole backline too.

If you can't see that, not only are you not the only sane one, I'd have to question whether you're sane at all.

It's nothing against Milner as a player.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Because it's the wrong position unless we have a ton more budget than we think and can afford to fix the whole backline too.

If you can't see that, not only are you not the only sane one, I'd have to question whether you're sane at all.

It's nothing against Milner as a player.

January we need a centre half and a left back as priority. We also need the second GK he said he was getting last summer. This is survival business only.

I am talking about strengthening the side in summer by doing a deal in Jan to secure a top quality pro / leader.

Status in summer :-

GK

Walton end of loan

Leutwiler out of contract

i.e we have no keepers. We need 2 new on contract plus a proper GK coach.

Defence

Cunningham already wont play for us again so, unless we buy him....

Toshin end of loan

Hart & Bell out of contract.

Mulgrew (return or sell). Must preseme sell.

Midfield

Smallwood, Bennett, Downing out of contract

Forward

Graham & Samuel out of contract

Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton not good enough.

So unless I am missing something there will be plenty of saved wages to replace 3rd division players with 2nd division players and add something to make us contenders.

That is before we sell anyone. Evans in Jan ? Dack in summer? Lenihan because hes a donkey?

If of course Mowbray decides to give all the above extended contracts to 2023 then we will probably both agree who has lost their sanity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

January we need a centre half and a left back as priority. We also need the second GK he said he was getting last summer. This is survival business only.

I am talking about strengthening the side in summer by doing a deal in Jan to secure a top quality pro / leader.

Status in summer :-

GK

Walton end of loan

Leutwiler out of contract

i.e we have no keepers. We need 2 new on contract plus a proper GK coach.

Defence

Cunningham already wont play for us again so, unless we buy him....

Toshin end of loan

Hart & Bell out of contract.

Mulgrew (return or sell). Must preseme sell.

Midfield

Smallwood, Bennett, Downing out of contract

Forward

Graham & Samuel out of contract

Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton not good enough.

So unless I am missing something there will be plenty of saved wages to replace 3rd division players with 2nd division players and add something to make us contenders.

That is before we sell anyone. Evans in Jan ? Dack in summer? Lenihan because hes a donkey?

If of course Mowbray decides to give all the above extended contracts to 2023 then we will probably both agree who has lost their sanity.

Sorry, I thought you meant January.

I'm still not convinced it'll be the right area of the pitch to target in the summer, but the budget should be larger then. More because that's when a new pool of Venkys money is likely to appear, if it does at all, than because of the outgoings above.

Walton and Jayson are going to need replacing. Tosin and Cunningham are going to need replacing. Even one of Hart or Bell is going to need replacing for depth. Mulgrew may need replacing (I know we aren't playing him now, but we are seeing that we are too thin even on numbers at CB..I'd be looking at two CBs).

Smallwood doesn't need replacing. If TM is still here you can bet your left nut Bennett won't be going anywhere. Even under another manager, EB is likely to be deemed a useful, experienced, versatile squad member (hopefully not a fucking starter though) so may be kept. Downing I wouldn't replace unless someone special shows up (that might be where a Milner might fit tbf), think we have enough wide options and kids coming through there.

Graham and Samuel out of contract is likely to be more than swallowed up by the need for a new striker (again, jesus...). Unless this is a clever loan, there's probably gonna be a big fee sucking up any savings we make after replacing all of the above and probably more.

I don't see a lot being left over after all that. I'm not even sure we can afford getting the right quality of players to replace those properly as it is, unless our recruitment steps up its game big time or some youth players absolutely light it up this year.

I can't see us shifting Evans for more than 500k. With his wages we could be lucky to get that. If we did sell Lenihan we better be spending the proceeds on a better CB. A Dack sale is the only one I can see raising enough that a Milner level expense in a Milner area of the pitch might be a good move. I think Holtby can replace Dack, albeit with less goals, but it still might be sensible to spend a chunk of the sale on another quality player in his area.

Christ I just depressed myself.

• Like 4

ITs a rebuilding job that gets bigger every window. 

Give him TIL Xmas and the January window and then see how we get on until summer then the rebuild is finally complete and we will have what we need. A young capable squad to compete and give it a right good go in league 1. 

I think the problem is the fans. They expected championship play offs when he waffled about top six. Shame on you all

Edited by Oldgregg86

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

ITs a rebuilding job that gets bigger every window. 

Give him TIL Xmas and the January window and then see how we get on until summer then the rebuild is finally complete and we will have what we need. A young capable squad to compete and give it a right good go in league 1. 

I think the problem is the fans. They expected championship play offs when he waffled about top six. Shame on you all

That's what happens when you consistently sign players that don't actually improve the team.

• Like 1

Firm belief in my camp (me and my girlfriend nattering away) that the loss of Harrison Reed is a massive reason for our downfall in work rate performances. There's a lack of urgency, fighting spirit and work rate for me. I like Johnson but he doesn't get about enough. Evans the same. Downing isn't a holding midfielder because he doesn't have the legs, but is continuously played there. Gallagher and Armstrong don't put in enough effort either. In fact, minus the first 30 minutes at Preston I've never really seen Sam Gallagher chase much down.

Lewis Travis & Harrison Reed as our midfield rock would've really been something special IMO.

Just now, JoeH said:

Firm belief in my camp (me and my girlfriend nattering away) that the loss of Harrison Reed is a massive reason for our downfall in work rate performances. There's a lack of urgency, fighting spirit and work rate for me. I like Johnson but he doesn't get about enough. Evans the same. Downing isn't a holding midfielder because he doesn't have the legs, but is continuously played there. Gallagher and Armstrong don't put in enough effort either. In fact, minus the first 30 minutes at Preston I've never really seen Sam Gallagher chase much down.

Lewis Travis & Harrison Reed as our midfield rock would've really been something special IMO.

Poor treatment (being singled out) and being played out of position will have put an end to him coming here permanently. I agree that Johnson is nothing on Reed and we should have brought him back in if possible. As mentioned though, he was never going to come here after that - despite us putting a late bid in for him. 

Now he is earning rave reviews at Fulham playing in the position he was told he had to learn from Evans and Smallwood while here. 

• Like 1

Just now, JoeH said:

Rather than spending £12 million on development projects we would have been better off signing Reed for £5 million and stumping up for his wages. An excellent player, coming into his prime, versatile. Showing now at Fulham how good he is. He should have made CM his own and build around him. Use the remaining cash to get a couple of CBs and a CF and we'd have been far better off.

Sadly when the priority is about developing players for profits and other such things we see the real gems move on whilst being saddled with non contributors

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rather than spending £12 million on development projects we would have been better off signing Reed for £5 million and stumping up for his wages. An excellent player, coming into his prime, versatile. Showing now at Fulham how good he is. He should have made CM his own and build around him. Use the remaining cash to get a couple of CBs and a CF and we'd have been far better off.

Sadly when the priority is about developing players for profits and other such things we see the real gems move on whilst being saddled with non contributors

Didn't Harrsion Reed's girlfriend/wife not like it up North? 

Tho he would have been a great signing for us

If it was your own money, would you give Mowbray any money to spend in January?

If the owners do entrust him with any more then we still need  as a bare minimum exactly what was needed after Raya was offloaded.

Quality keeper, experienced no nonsense centre half and a quality main striker.

Won't be easy to find in January especially as we seem to find it virtually impossible to get anything over the line even when we have all summer to do it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't Harrsion Reed's girlfriend/wife not like it up North? 

Tho he would have been a great signing for us

Whereas Sam Gallagher's girlfriend was blown away whilst viewing houses in Audley Range.

• Like 2