Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GunnerRover7

(Too early?) January transfer window 2020

Recommended Posts

On 06/09/2019 at 01:49, old darwen blue said:

Who is he then pal?

According to Wikipedia, he's someone who's never made it at more clubs, including non-Leaguers, than you could shake a stick at!

Not sure why Chaddy posted his post.🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is now the squad list, left hand column is players that you'd expect next year and the year after etc.. to still be a first team player. Middle column is players who may get to that stage, or are but are on loan and don't belong to us. Third column on the right is players who will be past it soon, will leave or retire at some point within the next few years.

Now lets say we lost Dack and Lenihan too, and in the box at the bottom is what we'd be left with without the loan players, the third column, Dack and Lenihan.

We HAVE to invest, even with Dack and Lenihan its a depleted squad when you take away the dross and the loan players. This next window and the one after will be crucial.

1612665404_SquadListIfBradleyDackandDarraghLenihan.thumb.png.77834ed3b1ef8ce3e29b0f0bcb4778cd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit optimistic putting Bereton as possibly contributing but raises the point very well. There is no slow build. Age or transfers away or loans finishing prevent any long term build. We could be without 6 key players next season - that's over half the team. Do or die, or rather do or start again I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeH said:

So this is now the squad list, left hand column is players that you'd expect next year and the year after etc.. to still be a first team player. Middle column is players who may get to that stage, or are but are on loan and don't belong to us. Third column on the right is players who will be past it soon, will leave or retire at some point within the next few years.

Now lets say we lost Dack and Lenihan too, and in the box at the bottom is what we'd be left with without the loan players, the third column, Dack and Lenihan.

We HAVE to invest, even with Dack and Lenihan its a depleted squad when you take away the dross and the loan players. This next window and the one after will be crucial.

1612665404_SquadListIfBradleyDackandDarraghLenihan.thumb.png.77834ed3b1ef8ce3e29b0f0bcb4778cd.png

Nice bit of research, well presented.

Not convinced that Rothwell and Nyambe will be here much longer I’m afraid.

I’d absolutely love Mols to get a chance but I don’t think he’s a Mowbray player.

The elephant in the room is whether Mowbray is also in the left hand box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Nice bit of research, well presented.

Not convinced that Rothwell and Nyambe will be here much longer I’m afraid.

I’d absolutely love Mols to get a chance but I don’t think he’s a Mowbray player.

The elephant in the room is whether Mowbray is also in the left hand box...

why wont Rothwell be here much longer? have you actually spoken about it? didn't @Paul Mani say that Rothwell was enjoying his time at Ewood Park. 

Mols will gets his chance if he keep performing like Rankin Costello, Buckley, Nuttall did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

why wont Rothwell be here much longer? have you actually spoken about it? didn't @Paul Mani say that Rothwell was enjoying his time at Ewood Park. 

Mols will gets his chance if he keep performing like Rankin Costello, Buckley, Nuttall did

Why do I have an opinion? Have I spoken about it?

Rothwell gets dropped for every alternative player that comes along. Pretty clear Mowbray doesn’t fancy him - regardless of what he says in the press. He always says one thing and does another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Why do I have an opinion? Have I spoken about it?

Rothwell gets dropped for every alternative player that comes along. Pretty clear Mowbray doesn’t fancy him - regardless of what he says in the press. He always says one thing and does another.

So you havent spoken to Rothwell at all? 

Mowbray doesnt fancy him? I think nothing could be further from the truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So you havent spoken to Rothwell at all? 

Mowbray doesnt fancy him? I think nothing could be further from the truth

I’m not sure if you are being satirical or not. How many players do you speak to before posting?

Also, how many starts has Rothwell had this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rothwell is 24 and if he has any ambition will want to be starting games at this stage in his career. He'll undoubtedly be off by next summer unless Mowbray starts giving him more game time. How could anybody be happy being benched for a plank like Armstrong who has one good game in ten?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

I’m not sure if you are being satirical or not. How many players do you speak to before posting?

Also, how many starts has Rothwell had this season?

Im not the one suggesting hes unhappy and wants to move. You are Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Im not the one suggesting hes unhappy and wants to move. You are Stuart

No, you’ve made that up. Try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

No, you’ve made that up. Try again.

No Stuart. 

Not convince Rothwell wont be here much longer was your words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He suggested that he may become unhappy in the future if he continues to be somewhat unfavoured. Not that he is now unhappy.

Its definitely a prediction that has logic to it. Rothwell was absolutely outstanding at the end of last season, and it was agreed that he deserved to start this season in the team and that he could be a huge player for us. Totally unmerited, he has started one solitary game out of 9, whereas Armstrong gets free reign amidst regularly pitiful performances.

Tomorrows team will be interesting, Rothwell I think will start, him, Holtby, Dack and Travis have to all be in our best team. I think its which of the others you include to provide the best balance.

Edited by roversfan99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Stuart. 

Not convince Rothwell wont be here much longer was your words

They weren’t my words but you are close enough with that attempt.

You’ve added your own narrative to that.

Sometimes players just don’t hang around. Mowbray and Rothwell aren’t a good fit. It’s as clear as day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

They weren’t my words but you are close enough with that attempt.

You’ve added your own narrative to that.

Sometimes players just don’t hang around. Mowbray and Rothwell aren’t a good fit. It’s as clear as day.

I think the opposite Stuart.

Mowbray is huge fan of Rothwell. As he has said on many occasions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he says means sod all, it's what he does that matters. So while he's benching or dropping him completely while a pudding like Armstrong gets game after game that speaks louder than any meaningless platitudes.

One thing is certain, after the limp display at the weekend he has to start tomorrow, if fit.

Edited by LDRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think the opposite Stuart.

Mowbray is huge fan of Rothwell. As he has said on many occasions. 

What he says and does are often 2 different things. He was outstanding at the end of last season and deserved to start the season in the team. He started it on the bench and has only made one start all season in the League, in our hardest game. Compare that to the treatment of Armstrong and its a struggle to justify it on merit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

What he says and does are often 2 different things. He was outstanding at the end of last season and deserved to start the season in the team. He started it on the bench and has only made one start all season in the League, in our hardest game. Compare that to the treatment of Armstrong and its a struggle to justify it on merit.

You know my views on Rothwell. I rated him highly. Time for new contract imo for him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was Rothwell, I wouldn't want to tie myself down here.

I always felt Mowbray was playing Rothwell at the end of last season through gritted teeth, and only did so IMO because them last 6 or 7 games were like glorified friendlies, if there was something on them there is no way Rothwell would have been starting, as shown this season, one start in nine.

I'd say already that our squad for next season looks worrying, we are still going to need a Goalkeeper, two new full backs, two new central defenders, a winger that is actually a winger, and maybe two forwards to replace Graham and maybe Dack.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If I was Rothwell, I wouldn't want to tie myself down here.

I always felt Mowbray was playing Rothwell at the end of last season through gritted teeth, and only did so IMO because them last 6 or 7 games were like glorified friendlies, if there was something on them there is no way Rothwell would have been starting, as shown this season, one start in nine.

I'd say already that our squad for next season looks worrying, we are still going to need a Goalkeeper, two new full backs, two new central defenders, a winger that is actually a winger, and maybe two forwards to replace Graham and maybe Dack.

I think its a little unfair to suggest that he played Rothwell through "gritted teeth." At the end of the day, he did get a decent run of starts. You could argue that the situation was similar to the Travis situation, who I again dont think its fair or accurate to suggest only broke through due to Smallwood red card.

Both are situations whereby a younger, exciting player broke into the team, had an instant impact but with contrasting consequences. It was a pretty easy decision on both accounts to leave them in the team, they both improved it. Travis has since been a regular week in week out, and has been a marked improvement on Mowbrays previous favoured fulcrum of Smallwood and Evans. Rothwell wasnt afforded the same chance however, as you suggest totally unjustly dropped back to regular sub, totally unmerited, which is why I dont swallow Mowbrays hollow words on the player in the media. I judge him on actions, he has dealt with Travis well, Rothwell has been hung out to dry with Armstrong repeatedly given chances as one of Mowbrays favourites.

The balance of our team looks really poor I must say. I am not sure how you best mould together quite a few very talented players, we have 15m worth of strikers and absolutely no goal threat, and Mowbray is obsessed with constant rotation at the cost of any momentum and cosnsistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A striker. 

The combined fees for gally and Brereton would have signed (sp) assomabinlonga from boro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.