BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Things you dislike about football.

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

For me speaking purely from a BRFC perspective, super fans on facebook/twitter whose default position and opinion changes as to how badly the club is performing so they are never disappointed then they turn on other supporters, what do we expect with our budget etc, Mowbray we are lucky to have him. Tony can do no wrong etc, the inability to criticises the team or manager/the owners. The expectation we should have 30000 smashing the turnstiles down to watch Mowbrayball. Comment after a losing that our defending is awful and the torrent of abuse then follows from the rovers brigade!.

The complete and utter acceptance of mediocrity and the apathy that surrounds the club

Along with the contradiction of Venkys having it within their financial power to change things (as other clubs are doing) but then being told that FFP is the problem.

They could have spent a fraction of what they have loaded onto us as debt and been far more successful.

10 years next year and we still look light years away from the team and club we were when they bought us. Yet fans accept these excuses and some even champion them as part of our future.

• Like 1

Of course you get some top quality games in the Champs league it is by and large the cream of the crops so why would anything less be expected ?

The whole thing though is a bit of a farce just designed to try and get the cream of those crops in the final stages after dragging it out for ages and having a few whipping boys in there the fill tv fixtures.  Then being able to go into another competition if you get knocked out after going so far is again another unfair farce.

The old format was better surely knock outs are more exciting and gives smaller league winning teams a better chance, 

European Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners Cup -  Bring them back

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Of course you get some top quality games in the Champs league it is by and large the cream of the crops so why would anything less be expected ?

The whole thing though is a bit of a farce just designed to try and get the cream of those crops in the final stages after dragging it out for ages and having a few whipping boys in there the fill tv fixtures.  Then being able to go into another competition if you get knocked out after going so far is again another unfair farce.

The old format was better surely knock outs are more exciting and gives smaller league winning teams a better chance, 

European Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners Cup -  Bring them back

Yep, and the champions league is looking to be made into a 48 team tournament, with six groups of 8, with each playing each other twice, so a Premier League side would play 14 games in the group stage, they want a European Super League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Yep, and the champions league is looking to be made into a 48 team tournament, with six groups of 8, with each playing each other twice, so a Premier League side would play 14 games in the group stage, they want a European Super League.

Let that happen. It will be the best thing for the domestic game.

The global fan base - Africa and Asian continents - can follow the global superstars on TV as much as they like. Bring the domestic game back to 3pm Saturdays, the cup competitions will mean more and league competition be fairer.

Unfortunately I have little faith in the EFL/FA to pay enough attention to the clubs outside of the Super League zone to make something like this work in our favour. They'll more than likely be scrambling for funds to be handed down in "compensation" for losing the prestigious (rich) clubs.

Whilst it will be sad to lose the likes of Liverpool and United from the domestic sport sometimes it's necessary to cut an arm off for the rest of the body to survive.

Though in the world we live it will probably create a situation where every single club is spending huge amounts of money to qualify for the European super league and the Prem becomes the Championship mk 2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

@arbitro and @chaddyrovers you both seemingly dislike it mainly because you dont have the channel that it is on, ie lack of accessibility?

Group stages are always far less dramatic than knock out games, gows with the territory and is the same at World Cups etc.

What I can say is as 2 football fans you missed out on some incredible drama and top class games last season. Some top quality games and some unbelievable comebacks. And chaddy to suggest the technicality of the name is a major negative is incredibly petty, the competition was far better last season for quality teams such as the 2 finalists being in it. Football as a sport is obviously a money making product but its obviously down to the individual whether you still choose to enjoy it.

Like other people have said, once we hit the knockout stages it's exciting, especially last year with a number of English sides still in.

The problem is the group stages are a hard watch. Unlike in the World Cup, where losing 1 match puts you in peril, generally you can lose a couple and still get through. Obviously game 6 in the group stages can be dramatic when it is do or die, but on other group game nights I have no interest in tuning in. 

• Backroom

Every team in an elite competition should have a chance of winning it, but the likes of Red Star Belgrade, L. Moscow, C. Moscow, AEK Athens, Shaktar, Hoffenheim, Viktoria Pizen and Young Boys from last season's competition never had a hope in hell of winning it. Most of them are worse than a fair few of the teams that qualified for the Europa League. These aren't elite teams and whilst one of them may pull off the odd surprise result most of the time they just get steamrolled by the better teams. It's only when you get to the knockout stages and the poor teams have been weeded out that you get a genuine, elite competition. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Like other people have said, once we hit the knockout stages it's exciting, especially last year with a number of English sides still in.

The problem is the group stages are a hard watch. Unlike in the World Cup, where losing 1 match puts you in peril, generally you can lose a couple and still get through. Obviously game 6 in the group stages can be dramatic when it is do or die, but on other group game nights I have no interest in tuning in. 

I agree with much of your post, im not saying that the Champions League may not benefit from a removal of group stages (or for the more trivial issues, a name change) but I think its foolish to not watch it as ultimately it is the best players conjuring up some incredible games.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree with much of your post, im not saying that the Champions League may not benefit from a removal of group stages (or for the more trivial issues, a name change) but I think its foolish to not watch it as ultimately it is the best players conjuring up some incredible games.

I love watching it from the knockout stages on.

I suppose the group stages are like the Euro qualifiers for England tonight. I'll watch it if I have absolutely nothing else to do, but I'll not go out of my way to watch it. If we had to win the last game to qualify I'd certainly be watching it. And I'll watch every game in a knockout tournament.

I think the angst against the CL is that it doesn't really start as a competition until February. The first half of the season seems just like money making exhibitions.

Lot of what I dislike has been covered already but il add votes for a dislike of the champions league, I just find it dull. It’s the same fixtures every season with dull tactical defensive football on the most part, the finals are always terrible. It’s just not for me. Loved the old style champions league when it was just the champions. Don’t get me started on Europa league, nobody is interested in it. All ruined by money which leads me onto

the premier league. Money has killed this for me too, when average sides are spending stupid amounts of money on average players I’m out. MOTD used to be a watch every week, can’t mind the last time I watched it. All the characters have been taken out the league and your left with football robots. It started to go wrong for me round about when abromivich purchased Chelsea, stupid money game for rich Russians and Arabs these days. I stick up for the championship, I find it a much more exciting and honest league. Of course I still want back to the prem but it’s not the same one we even left. My love for football and especially prem league has dwindled to about 25% of what it used to be.

i honestly get more enjoyment and watch more of American football these days, being a sport I’m relatively new too and enjoying learning about. 

Anyone labelling the Champions League as boring last year can presumably only do so in a position of ignorance having not watched it.

The Ajax v Real Madrid and United v PSG last 16 games, the City v Spurs and Ajax v Juventus quarter finals and both semi finals were all games packed with quality, drama, stories, comebacks, entertainment, everything you watch football for. 

The group stages I can somewhat understand people suggesting a change to the format but even then there was some excitement and it was far from the foregone conclusion people are making out. Spurs in a group with Barcelona, Inter Milan and PSV had to get a result in the Nou Camp to secure progression on the last day. Liverpool needed a win at Anfield against Napoli, another very good side and United needed an incredible result in Turin to ensure they went through ahead of Valencia.

Many people seem to take issue at the fact that it isnt just Champions, and even at the pedantic naming of the competition issue. But it undoubtedly improves the quality of the entertainment to see some other top teams, the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool, Dortmund, Real and Atletico Madrid etc over having additional champions of more obscure countries.

• Like 1

Even a traditionalist like me enjoyed the 2nd leg of the Man City Vs Spuds game, but to dismiss other league winning teams of let's say Sweden as minor and a bunch of dollopers is arrogant to say the least. By saying that you are also saying we are irrelevant because we don't pay Neymar £400,000 p/w to do floor gymnastics at Ewood Park against some some team owned by a Russian gangster on a Wednesday night. 

Most CL games are pretty poor and playing the likes of Barcelona used to be something to really get excited about. Now it is just another game if you are a regular qualifier.

• Like 1

Martin Tyler - search his hard drive immediately.

That other commentator pr8ck on Sky Sports that shouts every time there is a hint of a chance of a goal because he wants to imitate Tyler's "Agueroooooooooo" moment.

Tony Pulis

International qualifying - just put the best 12 teams in every tournament and rotate the shitters every 4 years

The fact it gives people with a sub 100 IQ the platform to communicate with the public

People who can't be objective, top example; Utd fans who think Ronaldo is better than Messi

Venkys 

It's called the Champions League and that is what it should be no ifs buts or maybes there's other competitions for runners up and the rest to be in.  

The champions league might then get boring granted but the other comp would then get more kudos it's swings and roundabouts.

Which brings us back to the old style European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and Uefa cup etc..... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Anyone labelling the Champions League as boring last year can presumably only do so in a position of ignorance having not watched it.

The Ajax v Real Madrid and United v PSG last 16 games, the City v Spurs and Ajax v Juventus quarter finals and both semi finals were all games packed with quality, drama, stories, comebacks, entertainment, everything you watch football for. 

The group stages I can somewhat understand people suggesting a change to the format but even then there was some excitement and it was far from the foregone conclusion people are making out. Spurs in a group with Barcelona, Inter Milan and PSV had to get a result in the Nou Camp to secure progression on the last day. Liverpool needed a win at Anfield against Napoli, another very good side and United needed an incredible result in Turin to ensure they went through ahead of Valencia.

Many people seem to take issue at the fact that it isnt just Champions, and even at the pedantic naming of the competition issue. But it undoubtedly improves the quality of the entertainment to see some other top teams, the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool, Dortmund, Real and Atletico Madrid etc over having additional champions of more obscure countries.

You forgot the Liverpool-Barcelona semi final. They were 2 tremendous games. Liverpool bossed the first but came out 3-0 losers thanks to Messi's brilliance. The return leg was one of the best games I've ever seen.

The analogy of the group stages being like the WC/Euro qualifiers is apt. It's rare that the top teams don't make it through, but they have to turn up.

Watching the best players perform against each other is what is worth watching.

• Like 2

Cheating, diving and players who run half way up the line to take a throw in. Add in the complainers who surround referees effing and blinding ! Gary Lineker and Murphy on tv are a pair of twits. Incompetent linesmen and referees. The price of a pie and a pint in the ground.

The horrendous cost we have to pay to visit shitholes like Leeds where away fans are ripped off.

manure and citeh who have ruined football completely.

dingleland and t'urd moor.

Fans who wont come back and support the team they profess to love

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

You forgot the Liverpool-Barcelona semi final. They were 2 tremendous games. Liverpool bossed the first but came out 3-0 losers thanks to Messi's brilliance. The return leg was one of the best games I've ever seen.

The analogy of the group stages being like the WC/Euro qualifiers is apt. It's rare that the top teams don't make it through, but they have to turn up.

Watching the best players perform against each other is what is worth watching.

Yeah I mentioned the semi finals, you are bang on, and to have that game you mention and then the Spurs one the next day at Ajax was absolutely remarkable. Back to back nights of football that wont be forgotten for a long time.

People choosing not to watch partially because of the name not being strictly accurate are only missing out IMO. If it changed name back to the European Cup, would those who dont watch it suddenly start watching it out of interest?

Other reason to dislike the CL are

1. It increases the wealth and power of clubs that are already the richest in the world; it is in effect a closed shop of the elite to which the rest are effectively barred - rather like the class system in this country. 

2. The Champions League is a misnomer. It should be called the Champions and Runners-Up League, because clubs that do not finish first in their respective leagues are by definition not champions.

3. My biggest complaint of all - it has diminished the World Cup, which was eagerly anticipated, comes around every 4 years and used to the showcase for the world's best talent. Now you can watch them every week, and well, familiarity breeds contempt. I switch over now and watch the soaps when the CL comes on.  

• Like 4

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

The poster has a history of considering his own knowledge and opinion of football to be far superior than others'. I'm very glad he enjoys the Champions League but for others the tournament has far more sinister connotations than the displays of great football.

Indeed.

Of course the later rounds had some exciting and high quality matches. The elite players of world football are all involved. 

However for the ‘good of the wider game’ It’s been a terrible innovation, just like the PL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Why do folk have to trash talk against the ones that don’t enjoy the champs league? 

It’s not my bag it’s not ignorance. It’s an opinion. Don’t like it then so be it

exactly Bbrovers2288. 

I don't enjoyed at all and competition name is just a false cos it shouldn't be called Champion League. The format is a joke as long as having teams in the competition that haven't won the own domestic league. It should be just the winners of the domestic league and nothing else. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly Bbrovers2288. 

I don't enjoyed at all and competition name is just a false cos it shouldn't be called Champion League. The format is a joke as long as having teams in the competition that haven't won the own domestic league. It should be just the winners of the domestic league and nothing else. 

The result?

The gap widens even more between the best and the rest. Only City qualify, the other top 4 take a huge hit and all the best players have the choice between essentially, Barca, City, Juve or Bayern.

Only those four clubs can pay the best wages. They win their leagues every single year because they have the biggest budgets and attract the best players. The CL is competed every year by four clubs because commercially they are light years ahead of everyone else. The national leagues are boring as sin because nobody can get close to the CL clubs. 

Terrible idea. 

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

The result?

The gap widens even more between the best and the rest. Only City qualify, the other top 4 take a huge hit and all the best players have the choice between essentially, Barca, City, Juve or Bayern.

Only those four clubs can pay the best wages. They win their leagues every single year because they have the biggest budgets and attract the best players. The CL is competed every year by four clubs because commercially they are light years ahead of everyone else. The national leagues are boring as sin because nobody can get close to the CL clubs. 

Terrible idea. 

Good point.

Also the "lesser" teams qualifying for the Champs League give their fans the chance to see the world's best live when the big boys come to town. Celtic make it now and again. They get tubbed but sell out both home and away.

I read plenty on here about Rovers Euro journeys in the early 2000's being wonderful times for many Rovers fans. Limiting the competition to winners only would reduce the opportunities for these away days.

The "it's not a league for champions so I'm not watching it" argument is stale. Ewood Park isn't a park. It's a football ground. Are people going to stop going because they expect swings and a see-saw?

A lot of this thread would not be up for debate if Rovers were a Premier League side. Fans would let it slide. Unfortunately scrapping in the Championship rather than dining at the top table creates animosity.