BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Things you dislike about football.

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

The result?

The gap widens even more between the best and the rest. Only City qualify, the other top 4 take a huge hit and all the best players have the choice between essentially, Barca, City, Juve or Bayern.

Only those four clubs can pay the best wages. They win their leagues every single year because they have the biggest budgets and attract the best players. The CL is competed every year by four clubs because commercially they are light years ahead of everyone else. The national leagues are boring as sin because nobody can get close to the CL clubs. 

Terrible idea. 

So dont called it the champions league when majority of teams are even champions of their own domestic league. 

I prefer the old system of champions league, uefa cup and cup winners cup. 

We all know why that system was got rid off cos uefa was scared of the big European clubs breakaway to make Euro Super league and its make them.loads of cash for them. 

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I read plenty on here about Rovers Euro journeys in the early 2000's being wonderful times for many Rovers fans. Limiting the competition to winners only would reduce the opportunities for these away days.

Rovers' forays into Europe were in the old Uefa Cup, which wasn't a competition for "winners" but the best-placed teams behind the champions. 

*Players grabbing the ball with their hands when they go down from a perceived foul before the ref has blown the whistle. 

*Strikers taking corner kicks just because they like kicking dead balls and have the status to demand it. Regardless of heading ability they should be in the box instead. 

Oh, and that it's long since turned into a capitalist joke/nightmare on most levels, but that's been fairly well covered in the thread already. 

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The poster has a history of considering his own knowledge and opinion of football to be far superior than others'. I'm very glad he enjoys the Champions League but for others the tournament has far more sinister connotations than the displays of great football.

If this is about me then please can you explain.

I just enjoy watching high quality football and saw it in spades in last years competition. If others choose not to watch based on principles then thats fine but I think they may miss out on great football as a result.

I dont at all see my opinion as greater than anyone elses.

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So dont called it the champions league when majority of teams are even champions of their own domestic league. 

I prefer the old system of champions league, uefa cup and cup winners cup. 

We all know why that system was got rid off cos uefa was scared of the big European clubs breakaway to make Euro Super league and its make them.loads of cash for them. 

I dont understand why the name is such a big thing.

Was being in League One such an issue bearing in mind it is actually the third division?

Also, do you think that limiting the competition to only Champions would improve quality? Removing Liverpool, Spurs, Dortmund and the Madrid clubs to be replaced by champions of smaller European nations?

• Like 1

Whilst I much prefer the old format and hate the elitism and any change to anything because I'm a miserable old git you can't deny last years competition was brilliant . Id go as far to say the latter rounds up to the final could possibly be the most entertaining games I have ever seen . 

So to sum up I want it to go back to how it used to be but i love watching the big teams and top players compete and the anthem gives me goosebumps to my shame, I hate the elitism but love the entertainment and I feel dirty for liking it. 

I have added nothing to this debate but I feel better for saying it .

goodnight you beautiful people

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Was being in League One such an issue bearing in mind it is actually the third division?

Also, do you think that limiting the competition to only Champions would improve quality? Removing Liverpool, Spurs, Dortmund and the Madrid clubs to be replaced by champions of smaller European nations?

Cos its wrong. 

Daft comparison..

Who knows? Look at the 70's, 80's and part of 90's and the quality of the games back then. Look at what Clough achieved with Derby and Forest in the European Cup(Champions league)

Did Liverpool or Spurs win the Premier League to reach their champions league? Nope. Shouldnt be in competition but we know why they are. 

UEFA aint interested in smaller nations clubs cos they dont bring the money in like the bigger teams do(even tho they havent win their league). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Commondore said:

*Players grabbing the ball with their hands when they go down from a perceived foul before the ref has blown the whistle. 

Yes! Hate this. If i was up to me, I'd give every one of them a yellow card for handball. 

The joke that is Financial "fair" play. Said to protect the smaller clubs...

"Transfer bans", where the club are not allowed to sign players, but still can sign players, just don't register them for the club. Lex Barcelona, who presented 77 players the day the "ban" was lifted 2016. That's good transfer works, finding and signing 77 players in one day...

General amount of money spent in footbal today. Average players making disgusting amounts of money. 

The list could go on...

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It would improve interest. Everyone likes a giant-killing 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Playing strikers on the wing and not including wingers in the match day squad....

Or actually buying strikers for the wing not buying wingers then complaining your strike force isn't getting the right service......

Managers confusing simple solutions.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos its wrong. 

Daft comparison..

Who knows? Look at the 70's, 80's and part of 90's and the quality of the games back then. Look at what Clough achieved with Derby and Forest in the European Cup(Champions league)

Did Liverpool or Spurs win the Premier League to reach their champions league? Nope. Shouldnt be in competition but we know why they are. 

UEFA aint interested in smaller nations clubs cos they dont bring the money in like the bigger teams do(even tho they havent win their league). 

Why is it a daft comparison? League 1 is actually league 3, ie it is not doing what it says on the tin, just like the Champions League. If its that much of a big deal, call the Championship "Division 2" call League 1 "Division 3" again and likewise rename the Champions League the "European Cup."

They ae in the competition because they massively improve the quality of it. Id personally much rather watch teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Dortmund and the Madrid clubs in the competition over say AIK (Sweden) Ludogorets (Bulgaria) Sarajevo (Bosnia) and Dundalk (ROI).

That may seem arrogant to you but ultimately the quality of the teams I mentioned, with players like Salah, Van Dijk, Kane, Son, Eriksen, Sancho, Reus, Hazard, Modric, Felix, Koke, Saul etc will ultimately create far better games than winners of smaller nations, who of course still do have a chance to qualify anyway. The proof is shown with the superb games right through last years competition. That included the group stages (Liverpool V PSG, Spurs v Barca, Juve v United, and with plenty of very competitive groups) through to the last 16 (Real Madrid V Ajax, PSG V Man United) through to the quarter finals (Ajax v Juventus and City v Spurs) then to 2 semi finals that were as good a set of games as I can really remember seeing. The final was quite boring but thats often the case with finals and no format change would improve that.

I know that your main issue with the Champions League from previous conversations is that it is on a channel you dont have, thats the main reason for your dislike of it as you dont watch it so arent really in a position to critique the quality of it. That brings us on to an issue of affordability of football on TV, with there being Sky, BT, Premier Sports and now Amazon Prime etc all having rights to show football pricing fans out. That is something wrong with football but its one of them, the demand is clearly there.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

They ae in the competition because they massively improve the quality of it. Id personally much rather watch teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Dortmund and the Madrid clubs in the competition over say AIK (Sweden) Ludogorets (Bulgaria) Sarajevo (Bosnia) and Dundalk (ROI).

That may seem arrogant to you but ultimately the quality of the teams I mentioned, with players like Salah, Van Dijk, Kane, Son, Eriksen, Sancho, Reus, Hazard, Modric, Felix, Koke, Saul etc will ultimately create far better games than winners of smaller nations, who of course still do have a chance to qualify anyway. The proof is shown with the superb games right through last years competition. That included the group stages (Liverpool V PSG, Spurs v Barca, Juve v United, and with plenty of very competitive groups) through to the last 16 (Real Madrid V Ajax, PSG V Man United) through to the quarter finals (Ajax v Juventus and City v Spurs) then to 2 semi finals that were as good a set of games as I can really remember seeing. The final was quite boring but thats often the case with finals and no format change would improve that.

I know that your main issue with the Champions League from previous conversations is that it is on a channel you dont have, thats the main reason for your dislike of it as you dont watch it so arent really in a position to critique the quality of it. That brings us on to an issue of affordability of football on TV, with there being Sky, BT, Premier Sports and now Amazon Prime etc all having rights to show football pricing fans out. That is something wrong with football but its one of them, the demand is clearly there.

They are in the competition cos of money and UEFA Fear for big European clubs forming a new Euro super league. That the real issue not over quality..

I havent see any CL football during the week for around 3 or 4 years now. 

What channel it is on as no barring on me watching it. It could be on itv or BBC and I still wouldnt watch it. I have no passion or desire to watch it anymore. 

You are correct I dont have BT Sport and I wouldnt pay for it. But neither do you so dont get on your high horse

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Why does what a particular player earns matter? How does it negatively effect the game your watching?

Not what the player earns matter but how much Uefa earned through tv rights and they change the competition for the fear that the big European clubs would join a new super Euro league. 

I dont watch any of UEFA Cup competitions anymore. Just dont have interest anymore

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not what the player earns matter but how much Uefa earned through tv rights and they change the competition for the fear that the big European clubs would join a new super Euro league. 

I dont watch any of UEFA Cup competitions anymore. Just dont have interest anymore

Okay that side of the money In the game I agree with, agents and the parasites wind me up no end. But I don’t really care what a player earns, its useful to know when your judging a rovers squad but if your watching a random game it just doesn’t impact my enjoyment at all

21 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They are in the competition cos of money and UEFA Fear for big European clubs forming a new Euro super league. That the real issue not over quality..

I havent see any CL football during the week for around 3 or 4 years now. 

What channel it is on as no barring on me watching it. It could be on itv or BBC and I still wouldnt watch it. I have no passion or desire to watch it anymore. 

You are correct I dont have BT Sport and I wouldnt pay for it. But neither do you so dont get on your high horse

Well I can say you missed some cracking matches last season Chris.

The City Spurs game was probably the best match of the season.

I dont have BT sport either (or Sky sports) but most pubs do.

Perhaps watching the top level players forces us to consider how poor our own team really is and then go over the reasons why and how we got here.

This journey could be too painful for some whilst others have already made it to the other side.

I love football and life without it would be very different, but here are mine (excluding the obvious such as racism and abusing players online.)

- The World Cup and Euros being messed with. A 32 team World Cup every four years in summer, and a 16 team Euros every four years was working perfectly well - why change it? Euro 2016 with 32 teams was a pretty dire tournament and some third place teams (including Portugal) going through just didn't feel right. The World Cup in Qatar stinks while 48 teams in the tournament as of 2026 is loads. 

- People like Steve Kean and Jerome Anderson making a fortune from the game.

- Mid-table Premier League clubs that spend eye-watering amounts of money and have little chance of relegation (not that that should matter) yet they almost do their best to go out of the domestic cups as soon as possible. Can't get my head around it. Bournemouth and Burnley spring to mind. Makes me appreciate Rovers reaching semi-finals every season minus 2 or 3 when in the PL in the 2000s even more.

- Huge transfer fees for very good, but not great, players. I know inflation is a thing but it feels like the wrong era for huge transfer fees. I think the 90s and early 2000s was a golden era for football in terms of genuine world class players. Some of those iconic players would deserve these fees more than the likes of Harry Maguire, Kepa, Dembele, even Griezmann etc.

- Robotic player/manager interviews. 

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

Just now, frosty said:

I love football and life without it would be very different, but here are mine (excluding the obvious such as racism and abusing players online.)

- The World Cup and Euros being messed with. A 32 team World Cup every four years in summer, and a 16 team Euros every four years was working perfectly well - why change it? Euro 2016 with 32 teams was a pretty dire tournament and some third place teams (including Portugal) going through just didn't feel right. The World Cup in Qatar stinks while 48 teams in the tournament as of 2026 is loads. 

- People like Steve Kean and Jerome Anderson making a fortune from the game.

- Mid-table Premier League clubs that spend eye-watering amounts of money and have little chance of relegation (not that that should matter) yet they almost do their best to go out of the domestic cups as soon as possible. Can't get my head around it. Bournemouth and Burnley spring to mind. Makes me appreciate Rovers reaching semi-finals every season minus 2 or 3 when in the PL in the 2000s even more.

- Huge transfer fees for very good, but not great, players. I know inflation is a thing but it feels like the wrong era for huge transfer fees. I think the 90s and early 2000s was a golden era for football in terms of genuine world class players. Some of those iconic players would deserve these fees more than the likes of Harry Maguire, Kepa, Dembele, even Griezmann etc.

- Robotic player/manager interviews. 

Bang on regarding forfeiting of the cup, particularly bugs me when teams do everything to get into Europe and then forfeit their chance. Burnley did it last season but its a potentially once in a lifetime chance. Wolves taking it much more seriously.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bang on regarding forfeiting of the cup, particularly bugs me when teams do everything to get into Europe and then forfeit their chance. Burnley did it last season but its a potentially once in a lifetime chance. Wolves taking it much more seriously.

I knew there was something I forgot! That probably annoys me more than the domestic cups. If I was a Wolves fan I'd rather go deep in the Europa League with some memorable nights and away trips and finish say 12th in the PL, than go out of the Europa League early and finish higher up in the league (which could mean another qualification for the same tournament anyway....!).

• Like 1

Whilst reading about League 1 should be Div 3 etc., one of my biggest gripes is the wrong information in the honours list in the Rovers' programmes. It's been going on for many seasons. I have contacted the producers twice about it but nothing is done.

It says:-

HONOURS

FA PREMIERSHIP

Champions  1994-95

Runners up  1993-94

DIVISION ONE

Champions. 1911-12, 1913-14

Runners up. 2000-01

That mistake denigrates the fact that we have been champions of England 3 times and not just once. They need to reorganise the listing somehow.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Well I can say you missed some cracking matches last season Chris.

The City Spurs game was probably the best match of the season.

I dont have BT sport either (or Sky sports) but most pubs do.

Perhaps watching the top level players forces us to consider how poor our own team really is and then go over the reasons why and how we got here.

This journey could be too painful for some whilst others have already made it to the other side.

I deffo wouldnt go Pubs to watch footy during the week. Very rarely go to pubs these days now being a family man. Also my work pattern wouldnt allow me to. 

Like I said I dont miss watching the CL games or even European football now..