BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Things you dislike about football.

Ha it was ‘Goalazzo!’ But everyone thought it was ‘Goal Lazio’, because, you know, Gazza!

Anyone else love the Gazetta review show on a Saturday morning, but thought the live games on a Sunday were usually terrible? :D

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ha it was ‘Goalazzo!’ But everyone thought it was ‘Goal Lazio’, because, you know, Gazza!

Anyone else love the Gazetta review show on a Saturday morning, but thought the live games on a Sunday were usually terrible? :D

Ya, 1-0 was the usual scoreline , if not 0-0. You weren't getting many Newcastle Liverpool style 4-3s anyway

I would need to check it again,but I remember reading something when Trapatonni was Ireland manager about when he won the league there ,I think with Milan. It was something like they scored 40 goals during a 38 game season, but still won the league. Would have been the 70s. 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I think you are right actually ? 

I loved that show. Had an AC Milan jersey and all. The father got someone he worked with to bring it back from Milan. 

I always supported Cagliari. Think it was the halved jersey that did it. Can't have been for any other reason!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amo said:

I always supported Cagliari. Think it was the halved jersey that did it. Can't have been for any other reason!

All those Italian teams and their names fill me with nostalgia, Atlanta, Cagliari ,Lecce (who were crap) Sampdoria , the list goes on. 

We rarely see British or Irish players over there these days. Who is the most successful ever? I'm not fully up on the English players,I know Luther Blisset was there. Robbie Keane had a difficult enough time there. Would it be Liam Brady? I'm probably forgetting some English players 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We rarely see British or Irish players over there these days. Who is the most successful ever? I'm not fully up on the English players,I know Luther Blisset was there. Robbie Keane had a difficult enough time there. Would it be Liam Brady? I'm probably forgetting some English players 

Going back many decades but John Charles at Juventus is supposed to be one of the most successful British players to go abroad and probably the best export to Italy.

There was an influx late 80s/early 90s when Serie A was the strongest league around, and also British clubs had been banned from Europe late 80s. Gazza at Lazio but also Ince at Inter, and random ones such as David Platt popping up Bari.

• Like 1

Souness, Jimmy Greaves, John Charles, David Platt, Trevor Francis, Ian Rush, Des Walker, Ray Wilkins, Denis Law.

Loads for Sampdoria, who I always looked out for as my Great Grandma was from Genoa.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, frosty said:

Going back many decades but John Charles at Juventus is supposed to be one of the most successful British players to go abroad and probably the best export to Italy.

There was an influx late 80s/early 90s when Serie A was the strongest league around, and also British clubs had been banned from Europe late 80s. Gazza at Lazio but also Ince at Inter, and random ones such as David Platt popping up Bari.

Never heard of Charles. Must have a look! 

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Souness, Jimmy Greaves, John Charles, David Platt, Trevor Francis, Ian Rush, Des Walker, Ray Wilkins, Denis Law.

Loads for Sampdoria, who I always looked out for as my Great Grandma was from Genoa.

Ya, as I said I definitely forgot loads. Would have been the 90s when I watched and obviously I know about Brady because he was a big player here 

17 minutes ago, frosty said:

Yep,John Charles wins. Some record. 

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

used to adore gabriel batistuta,what a player,always liked fiorentina after watching him,he stayed loyal to them for years,even after they got relegated

Ya,wasn't he linked with United? Imagine they got him and Shearer... Now that's a handful. Two lads who aren't afraid to put it about and will finish if given anything resembling a sniff at goal. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I loved the highlight show. I watched it every week. James Richardson doing the papers was great. As a young teenager living in East Lancs it actually opened my eyes to another culture.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

A few go now, either as cast offs or late in their careers.

In the 80s and early 90s it was elite players, especially when English teams were banned from European competitions.

I posted about this the other week. Serie A is a shadow of its former self. Folk argue today about the Prem v La Liga as the "best league in the world". There was no debate during the period described, it was Serie A. Once the Prem got going and the money ramped up teams in England were able to afford players from Italy, albeit those on their way down. Klinnsmann and Gullit were at the end of their careers when they arrived in England but were both a class above. Same with Desailly a few years later. Those Milan European Cup winning teams were special. In 1994 they hammered Romario and Stoichkov's Barcelona 4-0.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I loved the highlight show. I watched it every week. James Richardson doing the papers was great. As a young teenager living in East Lancs it actually opened my eyes to another culture.

I posted about this the other week. Serie A is a shadow of its former self. Folk argue today about the Prem v La Liga as the "best league in the world". There was no debate during the period described, it was Serie A. Once the Prem got going and the money ramped up teams in England were able to afford players from Italy, albeit those on their way down. Klinnsmann and Gullit were at the end of their careers when they arrived in England but were both a class above. Same with Desailly a few years later. Those Milan European Cup winning teams were special. In 1994 they hammered Romario and Stoichkov's Barcelona 4-0.

James Richardson,that was his name, what a blast from the past. It was extremely exotic. Watching it in Ireland ,I could actually feel sunshine from it ?

6 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

A misunderstanding of irony 

I’m not saying my name on here is any good for starters , it’s simply a bit of word play about a previous player and could just mean I consider said player to be inglorious 

what I refer to I find exhausting 

Id say it’s irony.

i get your point and I like your name ?

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

James Richardson,that was his name, what a blast from the past. It was extremely exotic. Watching it in Ireland ,I could actually feel sunshine from it ?

- Had a Platt-era Sampdoria kit that I still use for 5-a-side now.

- Borrowed Signori's one step penalty technique too.

- The Dutch players at AC Milan were amazing to watch but I also enjoyed Baresi's blatant tactical fouls too on the rare occasions he was beaten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darmond said:

- Had a Platt-era Sampdoria kit that I still use for 5-a-side now.

- Borrowed Signori's one step penalty technique too.

- The Dutch players at AC Milan were amazing to watch but I also enjoyed Baresi's blatant tactical fouls too on the rare occasions he was beaten.

The strips were new and vibrant in the awakening age of global TV.

On 05/03/2020 at 21:07, Inglorious basturk said:

Stupid nicknames 

notlob 

barcodes 

manure 

knob end 

really irritating 

• Like 1