BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Disagree on Rothwell, he has only been given one league start, but he showed in a regular spell towards the back end of last season that with regular starts he puts in high levels of performances. His link up with Dack is terrific too.

I agree, Rothwell has to start

• Like 2

After a week of feeling very confident about the win, some odd formation and team selection made me begin to worry. Fortunately our quality shone through and we got a comfortable win. 

It's hard to complain after a win, a clean sheet, and being comfortable in doing so (making a number of other chances) and yet there's still a lot troubling me from the selection of certain players and non-selection of others, through to the constantly playing players out of position - the Dack-Gally-Armstrong nightmare being the worst of it. I guess you could say it's a kind of "and yet" feeling: we won and yet I feel we could be doing so much better with the correct players in their favoured positions. 

As it is, a nice win, 3 points and a clean sheet, lots of chances, and a nice confirmation that we are definitely better than the weaker teams in the division - a hell of a confidence boost - make for a happy Saturday evening. there's reason to be pleased all round and credit to the manager and the players. I just can't shake that nagging feeling at the back of my mind though, that with a few obvious moves, we could be doing even better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yonder12 said:

Lazy & Nervous and his technique was awful

To me he looked comfortable with a good footballing head on his shoulders ..Found the pass when needed with very little effort also read the game with ease ..

In the end it was obvious he was not fully match fit hence why he came off otherwise he would have stayed on the pitch..IMHO .

• Like 5

Just now, den9112 said:

To me he looked comfortable with a good footballing head on his shoulders ..Found the pass when needed with very little effort also read the game with ease ..

In the end it was obvious he was not fully match fit hence why he came off otherwise he would have stayed on the pitch..IMHO .

To me he looked very nervous with those two first touches. Esp the second where he failed to control after the throwing.

Very good win against a team I thought would play more direct than they did and only played 1 up front. I thought the back 3 worked fine defensively but limited us too much in the attacking sense. They have worked on this back 3 for nearly 2 weeks as Mowbray said post match. 

Second half We started better when Gallagher came on. We became more fluid and more movement as the half went on. We could have get 4 or 5 today. 

Very happy with 3 points and clean sheet. 

Dack was very good. Back 5/4 played very well and Williams my man of the match. Different player at centre back. Thought Armtrong was good second half and Rothwell looked lively when he came on. Downing is proving many people wrong who wrote him of when he signed here. Walton impressing again with Shot saves, communication and claiming crosses/catching high balls and command pf area

One Negative for me, is that we missed Travis today for me. 

on Mowbray formations, we started 5-3-2 with Johnson sitting in front of the back 4 and Downing and Buckley pushing on. second half we started in 5-2-3 formation with Gallagher right, Dack centre and Armstrong wide left. Thought we looked better attacking wise. Then when he took Tosin of for Rothwell we switched to 4-2-3-1 with Back 4 of Bennett, Lenihan, Williams, Cunningham; Downing,. Johnson; Armstrong Dack Rothwell; Gallagher

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Very good win against a team I thought would play more direct than they did and only played 1 up front. I thought the back 3 worked fine defensively but limited us too much in the attacking sense. They have worked on this back 3 for nearly 2 weeks as Mowbray said post match. 

Second half We started better when Gallagher came on. We became more fluid and more movement as the half went on. We could have get 4 or 5 today. 

Very happy with 3 points and clean sheet. 

Dack was very good. Back 5/4 played very well and Williams my man of the match. Different player at centre back. Thought Armtrong was good second half and Rothwell looked lively when he came on. Downing is proving many people wrong who wrote him of when he signed here. Walton impressing again with Shot saves, communication and claiming crosses/catching high balls and command pf area

One Negative for me, is that we missed Travis today for me. 

on Mowbray formations, we started 5-3-2 with Johnson sitting in front of the back 4 and Downing and Buckley pushing on. second half we started in 5-2-3 formation with Gallagher right, Dack centre and Armstrong wide left. Thought we looked better attacking wise. Then when he took Tosin of for Rothwell we switched to 4-2-3-1 with Back 4 of Bennett, Lenihan, Williams, Cunningham; Downing,. Johnson; Armstrong Dack Rothwell; Gallagher

To be fair, you yourself said that you wouldnt have signed Downing when he was being linked to be fair. So not sure you are in a position to question others that have done likewise.

I dont think the balance in the first half was right at all. Buckley is not ready to be playing Championship football IMO. Dack is also not a striker and comes into his own in the 10 position. The split striker experiement should be abandoned. Seems to be a bit too much changing of formations at the moment. We looked so much more threatening in the second half as a 4231.

• Like 1

TM made hard work of playing a poor Millwall team im getting feed up with he's  set up i said weeks ago i would like him to set up the team up in a 4,4,2 Walton ,Tosin, Lenihan, Williams and Cunningham  . Rothwell , Travis ,Johnson, Downing ,Dack and Gallagher . But we won but jesus the football isn't  suited  for the players we have it was so slow with sideway balls its great having a team who can keep the ball but you've  got too make sure your going forward  with it

I'd agree with those saying Buckley doesn't look ready. Felt nervous every time he got the ball near our area as he didn't seem aware of the opposition pressing him. Hope it's just an experiment and not a regular thing we'll be seeing. Don't think it's a coincidence that we were much better in the second half, the first 5 minutes aside

Sounds like we will stick with 5 at the back after this result and putting two weeks of work into it. Defence has been fantastic this season.

One thing I would say is Travis needs to play. And if we want a ball player in midfield so need to drop one of Johnson or Travis I would drop Johnson every time. Maybe something like this?

-----------------------Walton

---------Tosin-----Lenihan----Williams

Bennett----Travis-----Downing---Cunningham

-----------------------Rothwell

---------------Galagher-----Dack

1 hour ago, Yonder12 said:

Lazy & Nervous and his technique was awful

Think this is harsh. He was good enough, kept getting in front of his man, and barely put a foot wrong. I can’t see the “lazy” at all, but we all see it differently of course.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Sounds like we will stick with 5 at the back after this result and putting two weeks of work into it. Defence has been fantastic this season.

One thing I would say is Travis needs to play. And if we want a ball player in midfield so need to drop one of Johnson or Travis I would drop Johnson every time. Maybe something like this?

-----------------------Walton

---------Tosin-----Lenihan----Williams

Bennett----Travis-----Downing---Cunningham

-----------------------Rothwell

---------------Galagher-----Dack

To drop Johnson would be a huge mistake for me

46 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I thought Tosin was outstanding today. Not once did he launch the ball forward aimlessly, he looked for the best pass constantly. I'm no fan of playing three at the back but if that's how we have to accommodate him then so be it. 

Think Tony has now found his three to play at the back. Tosin looked very assured and played a number of forward passes into feet no aimless punt upfield from this lad. However had a comfortable game with little pressure from Millwall

• Like 2

Just why did young Travis get dropped today?  This man is infuriating.  I managed to sleep through the game so did not even hear it but reading here it sounds like Mowbary found a way to make it more difficult than it could have been.  To me if you are going to drop one of our middle men it has to be Johnson not Travis.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Not sure if its been mentioned but why has the goal music returned? It was put to a fan vote a year ago, conclusively voted against yet has now returned.

At least we had the goals in the first place!

Sorry I just need to go and post in the things I hate about football thread......

Edited by davulsukur

Just now, USABlue said:

Just why did young Travis get dropped today?  This man is infuriating.  I managed to sleep through the game so did not even hear it but reading here it sounds like Mowbary found a way to make it more difficult than it could have been.  To me if you are going to drop one of our middle men it has to be Johnson not Travis.

Aye but Travis has come through the academy so easier for Tony to drop him for no reason. I get the feeling that our brightest talents aka Travis, Rothwell, JRC etc will soon be pissed off and look to move on to better things. Rothwell gets about 25 mins every bloody week and must be under so much pressure to produce the goods from the bench. Armstrong is a footballer without a footballers brain and gets all the game time. Why oh why does Mowbray make the game so bloody complicated?

What a great result i think we show very good level a lotbof positive aspectes...clean sheet very important and well deerv three points...the strongest defensive performance until now especially Leninham inthink he's commanding the bottom of pitch already he will be a great captain im sure...Dack scored and that's great we'll need onnhis best level...

So yes a lot of positive thig to talk about buuuuut...we need to keep focus and working cause next fixture won't be so easy i trust my colors like always but reading could mean trouble if we start underestimating rivals.

Any way well done my Rovers lets go for the top come on!!

#ImRoversTillIDie 

#COYBBR 

#TheMexicanRover 

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

4 clean sheets out of 5, ten points from the last five games, and Dack scores in back to back games. That’s excellent when you consider we’ve had tough fixtures and we haven’t hit top form yet. 

Promising signs. Having a solid defence makes such a difference, it gives us a chance to win games even when we’re not playing that well. 

Can’t argue with this. 

Benno had a good game and the backing he received from the Riverside near the end showed that opinions posted on here may not actually be factual. Johnson was a rock, all over the place and the end to end midfielder we have needed for a while. My MOTM was a choice between the two. 

Special mention to the Wall fans who all applauded to a person the tribute to Fergie when most of them had probably never heard of him. 

Onwards and upwards. COYB

• Like 1

Just now, old darwen blue said:

Can’t argue with this. 

Benno had a good game and the backing he received from the Riverside near the end showed that opinions posted on here may not actually be factual. Johnson was a rock, all over the place and the end to end midfielder we have needed for a while. My MOTM was a choice between the two. 

Special mention to the Wall fans who all applauded to a person the tribute to Fergie when most of them had probably never heard of him. 

Onwards and upwards. COYB

Not sure the sentence is fair at all. Firstly, Bennetts performance levels have improved in the last few games, since the twitter spat he had with a fan and the common discussions on here about his performances really costing us.

Also, this implies that the Ewood crowd wouldnt back him even if many of them didnt rate him. Look at the relief in the crowd when Brereton scored and the unanimous reaction of happiness, doesnt change the fact that most dont rate him.

Surprised that you felt that Johnson was a contender for man of the match. He is obviously a proven Championship midfielder and has a lot of good attributes, but he was poor today IMO. Repeatedly giving the ball away and unable to take it on the half turn on quite a few occasions, which have been common themes in his time so far. I think he will be a good player for us but his last 2 performances in particular have been below par. Has also had a couple of notably good performances so it ties in with the consensus from Derby fans that he is very inconsistent. My main worry as I say is when the ball is played to him from the defence, he often has been caught in dangerous areas.