BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First half was the usual Ewood affair, saved by a peach from Derrick.

Second half was much better with Gallagher on for Buckley, who to be fair I thought showed a few nice touches but looked a little lost.

Thought we looked more fluid with Rothwell on, both him and Arma should have scored really.

Still, good win and hopefully something to build on.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, you yourself said that you wouldnt have signed Downing when he was being linked to be fair. So not sure you are in a position to question others that have done likewise.

I dont think the balance in the first half was right at all. Buckley is not ready to be playing Championship football IMO. Dack is also not a striker and comes into his own in the 10 position. The split striker experiement should be abandoned. Seems to be a bit too much changing of formations at the moment. We looked so much more threatening in the second half as a 4231.

Im allowed my opinion. 

Didnt I say balance of the team wasnt right? 

Why should the split striker experiment be abandoned if it the best thing for team overall and get us points? We got plenty of joy with it today. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Just heard on the highlights that Armstrong has 1 goal in 25 games. Really beggars belief how he gets chance after chance in the team, and Rothwell and Chapman dont get a fair crack.

How many times of those 25 games has he play up front?.how many assists in that time? 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Im allowed my opinion. 

Why should the split striker experiment be abandoned if it the best thing for team overall and get us points? We got plenty of joy with it today. 

How many times of those 25 games has he play up front?.how many assists in that time? 

How many games has Williams played up front chaddy and how many has he got and how many assists? You know Armas goal return is garbage, so why try to defend it?

I asked a simple and basic question? Thats all. No need to get knickers in twist Darren

Hardly in a twist pal. Can I ask what your interpretation of 'up front' is? Is it 'centre forward' and 'wide forward'? If so, I'd say that is probably all 25.

Where my knickers are beginning to get in a twist is that we've spent £13.5 million on 3 'up front' players and in 18 months they've scored what, 3 goals between them?

Yeh, we won today I know and I'm chuffed but it doesn't really mask the issues.

• Like 8

Im allowed my opinion. 

Of course you are. And I am allowed to question your opinion by offering my own.

I dont think it is at all the best for the team. We scored neither of our goals playing it today. Dack is far less effective as a false 9, Gallagher is no good out wide either.

Armstrong didnt assist any in the last 16 appearances of last season (getting a solitary goal against Bolton) and has no goals or assists in 7 this season. Even for a wide man its a shocking return. Its piss poor. Why is he given chance after chance.

• Like 2

Just now, darrenrover said:

Hardly in a twist pal. Can I ask what your interpretation of 'up front' is? Is it 'centre forward' and 'wide forward'? If so, I'd say that is probably all 25.

Where my knickers are beginning to get in a twist is that we've spent £13.5 million on 3 'up front' players and in 18 months they've scored what, 3 goals between them?

Yeh, we won today I know and I'm chuffed but it doesn't really mask the issues.

11 goals scored between Armstrong(9), Brereton and Gallagher 1 each. 

Main striker not as wide player. 

Armstrong should have scored. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Of course you are. And I am allowed to question your opinion by offering my own.

I dont think it is at all the best for the team. We scored neither of our goals playing it today. Dack is far less effective as a false 9, Gallagher is no good out wide either.

Armstrong didnt assist any in the last 16 appearances of last season (getting a solitary goal against Bolton) and has no goals or assists in 7 this season. Even for a wide man its a shocking return. Its piss poor. Why is he given chance after chance.

We created chances playing it today including chance for Armstrong who should have scored. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Im allowed my opinion. 

You basically said that those questioning the Downing signing will be eating their hats. 

Will you be eating your hat?

#chaddiesworld

• Like 1

• Backroom

I think it’s unfair to say Tosin was lazy, I thought he played really well but like Kasey Palmer has a somewhat languid style, gets around effortlessly; the antithesis of a Dunn who looked to be busting a gut but in reality the end result isn’t any different.

He never seemed in any danger but as a result has you on edge in case he over plays it, can’t remember him doing anything that put us in danger though 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think it’s unfair to say Tosin was lazy, I thought he played really well but like Kasey Palmer has a somewhat languid style, gets around effortlessly; the antithesis of a Dunn who looked to be busting a gut but in reality the end result isn’t any different.

He never seemed in any danger but as a result has you on edge in case he over plays it, can’t remember him doing anything that put us in danger though 

Fully agree and his passing was excellent. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Can’t argue with this. 

Benno had a good game and the backing he received from the Riverside near the end showed that opinions posted on here may not actually be factual. Johnson was a rock, all over the place and the end to end midfielder we have needed for a while. My MOTM was a choice between the two. 

Special mention to the Wall fans who all applauded to a person the tribute to Fergie when most of them had probably never heard of him. 

Onwards and upwards. COYB

Bennett's far more suited to playing wing back, in fact I'd go as far as saying it's his ideal position. He's got that right sided centre half mopping up after him when he does push forward, in a 442 he doesn't have that luxury and it causes issues time and time again.

Yesterday's formation can work, however we are very much dependent on none of the back 3 getting injured really. If we get lucky and line up like that for a decent period of time it'll only get better.

So

4-5-1 next game Tony? ??‍♂️

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

He's definitely not lazy, he's got a smart footballing brain and that stands out a mile.

• Like 3

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

So now that smallwood and evans dont play, it looks like its Armstrongs turn to take the shit from certain part of the 'support' . 

Yep, always a tradition to have a scapegoat at Rovers! It's sad really, comes as a result of Bennett not really doing anything wrong or it'd be him.

• Like 3

Just now, Ossydave said:

Bennett's far more suited to playing wing back, in fact I'd go as far as saying it's his ideal position. He's got that right sided centre half mopping up after him when he does push forward, in a 442 he doesn't have that luxury and it causes issues time and time again.

Yesterday's formation can work, however we are very much dependent on none of the back 3 getting injured really. If we get lucky and line up like that for a decent period of time it'll only get better.

So

4-5-1 next game Tony? ??‍♂️

Agree with that. In Cunningham and Bennett you’ve got two ideal wing backs. As you say though we only really have Nyambe as a back up if any of the three centre backs get injured.

Certainly worth sticking with as we finally have a back 3 and wing backs that can actually play the formation. Much more of a square pegs in square holes system for us.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Roverinbelfast said:

So now that smallwood and evans dont play, it looks like its Armstrongs turn to take the shit from certain part of the 'support' . 

Imagine fans having the audacity to criticise a player not pulling their weight!

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

Now that Evans and Smallwood don’t play, we look competitive in the Championship and have far more say in the midfield battle. Took Mowbray far too long to work that one out - loyal to a fault and to Rovers detriment.

Armstrong has been poor for weeks but apparently runs around a lot while Rothwell is benched despite performing. I’m more and more convince that Uncle Tony likes to keep outspoken players in their place. Dropped Travis yesterday for reasons unknown and we were very lucky to be ahead until Rothwell came on.

There was a rumour that surfaced after the last game the their were words exchanged and half time (confirmed by Dack) but that the players decided how we played in the second half. That undermines the manager - did we see a reaction to that yesterday?

As long as we keep getting three points, performances like yesterday will be ‘acceptable’. But heaven help we don’t have an injury to Williams now because our unbalanced team is relying on a defence short of depth.

Mowbray still isn’t the man in my view.