BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

23 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall him whipping the cross in for Sam Gallagher to head in vs Sheff united less than a month ago.

Stats are only ever half the story. It’s clear he is struggling for confidence in front of goal (also given penalty duties for that cup game and missing) but I don’t think he should be written off.

Young, electric pace, experience of different positions - he’s a good option in my view, and I’d say his performances this season are for from his best.

Fair enough with that assist, presumably that isnt amidst the statistics mentioned because it was in a Cup game so thats why it was overlooked, so credit for that. Albeit he did miss a penalty in that same game!

You can of course assume that he is low on confidence but he is given far more slack than the likes of Rothwell and Chapman. If he is regularly contributing very little he shouldnt be given chance after chance to exert himself in games, with the other 2 waiting for their chance.

His attitude is also questionable in my opinion. Mowbray mentioned in an interview last season that the reason that he is favoured to Rothwell is because he is "like a cross country runner going back both ways." It is something I totally disagreed with, look at the recent West Brom game for evidence of him being a liability going back.

I have not written him off. He was electric in League 1 and he is obviously electric in terms of pace, and showed he could finish too. Since we have been in the Championship however he has not contributed anywhere near enough in terms of goals and assists though. 

I've got major worries about our collection of expensive forwards and as yet their lack of contribution. Armstrong I feel out of the 3 has the most potential, yet his goal and assist contribution over a long period of predominantly starts is a huge worry. Gallagher is the middle one, I didn't want him back, he has some decent attributes without being outstanding at anything, and doesnt offer much of a goal threat. And Brereton is obviously an expensive outlier at the moment.

I also think that theres a myth that Rothwell is better as an impact sub. He started 8 of the last 9 games last season and was outstanding, scored 2 worldies of course and in general looked impressive and developed a really good understanding with Dack in particular. It was unfair that he was back on the bench at the start of this season, and has only been given one League start in 7 amidst our attacking woes.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

The arrogance of that last line is ridiculous. 

To me they’re chalk and cheese, JR isn’t anywhere near as fast yet AA hasn’t got the technique. Both lacking final product. Both offer different pro/cons. Both different positions mainly too.

I like both, and I’d like to see Joe start more often too, however; The idea that Rothwell “changed” the game is something that I disagree with, and the irony is not lost on me when people say this and then criticise his lack of starting. Have you considered why he’s used as an impact sub?

I think anyone who believes they know who should be starting, as if their opinion trumps any professional and other punters alike, really should have a bit more self awareness.

It's not arrogant. If you watch both play it's obvious isn't it? Anywhere near as fast? He most defiantly is. Didn't Dacky say he's the quickest player in the team in one of his interviews?

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You can still criticise players after a win. You hear many a conversation in the pub or walking up Livesey Branch Road of folk saying ‘ good win, but I thought player x was poor today’

Was ever thus.

Yep.

Did any pleyer not receive support at the ground yesterday? Of course they did.

What people mean when they say you should 'support' a player is that if you have a negative view on that player you either need to keep quiet or lie whilst on a messageboard. That's what they class as 'support'.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

To me they’re chalk and cheese, JR isn’t anywhere near as fast yet AA hasn’t got the technique. Both lacking final product. 

Rothwell travels with the ball more quickly than Armstrong and has more control over it.  I’d argue if Armstrong was not fast he wouldn’t be a professional whereas Rothwell is gifted and should be used more.  

Reed starting with Fulham shows that you shouldn’t go by Mowbrays actions.

• Like 3

With Rothwell on the ball, you know he is going to make something happen, a cross or cutting in for a shot or something. But with Armstrong, you just know hes gonna lose the ball with a heavy touch, or fail to dribble past his man or simply overrun the ball out of the field. His only asset is his pace, but its all pointless if he cant make something happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherry Blue said:

If Graham had started instead of Armstrong he would have held the ball up front and even (more likely to) scored. In hindsight (imo) maybe Armstrong should have lifted the ball over their advancing keeper rather than going for power. The lad puts in 100% but he's not a centre forward. A first half Dack through ball caught him off guard then in a second half similar position Dack maybe thought I'm not wasting another chance. 

Thought Buckley did ok. Only lightweight but his mind is quick and he's not afraid to demand the ball meaning he needs a close watch.   

Full credit to Graham at HT coming to the BBE wall for photos. 

it was great to see Graham doing that at half time. It would have made those kids days. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Didn't hear a peep at the ground, the players were well supported.

If he is reading this messageboard then youd question his mentality in the first place, criticising a poor performer on a forum is not "giving him shit" its giving a player justified criticism for, over a long period of time not contributing anywhere near enough. A goal and no assists in 25 games is unacceptable from an attacking player who has started the majority of those games.

Sadly, posts like these always get lapped up.

Yes the players are very well supported by the vast majority of fans in the ground. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes the players are very well supported by the vast majority of fans in the ground. 

Exactly, making the initial post I was quoted about our fans giving Armstrong "shit" to be totally ridiculous.

If hes not performing, by all means put it over the messageboard saying as such, as long as you support him in the ground, which people do.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Exactly, making the initial post I was quoted about our fans giving Armstrong "shit" to be totally ridiculous.

If hes not performing, by all means put it over the messageboard saying as such, as long as you support him in the ground, which people do.

You tend to hear the odd person moaning but that's it. 

I've heard people shouted insulting things towards players and their wives. but you will always get that a small minority saying this

31 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It's not arrogant. If you watch both play it's obvious isn't it? Anywhere near as fast? He most defiantly is. Didn't Dacky say he's the quickest player in the team in one of his interviews?

Different players entirely. Both however  showed yesterday, their final product is often lacking. For a midfielder or wide attacker, this aspect has to improve - and whilst you might have already made your mind up who should always start, it doesn’t make it a fact.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair enough with that assist, presumably that isnt amidst the statistics mentioned because it was in a Cup game so thats why it was overlooked, so credit for that. Albeit he did miss a penalty in that same game!

You can of course assume that he is low on confidence but he is given far more slack than the likes of Rothwell and Chapman. If he is regularly contributing very little he shouldnt be given chance after chance to exert himself in games, with the other 2 waiting for their chance.

His attitude is also questionable in my opinion. Mowbray mentioned in an interview last season that the reason that he is favoured to Rothwell is because he is "like a cross country runner going back both ways." It is something I totally disagreed with, look at the recent West Brom game for evidence of him being a liability going back.

I have not written him off. He was electric in League 1 and he is obviously electric in terms of pace, and showed he could finish too. Since we have been in the Championship however he has not contributed anywhere near enough in terms of goals and assists though. 

I've got major worries about our collection of expensive forwards and as yet their lack of contribution. Armstrong I feel out of the 3 has the most potential, yet his goal and assist contribution over a long period of predominantly starts is a huge worry. Gallagher is the middle one, I didn't want him back, he has some decent attributes without being outstanding at anything, and doesnt offer much of a goal threat. And Brereton is obviously an expensive outlier at the moment.

I also think that theres a myth that Rothwell is better as an impact sub. He started 8 of the last 9 games last season and was outstanding, scored 2 worldies of course and in general looked impressive and developed a really good understanding with Dack in particular. It was unfair that he was back on the bench at the start of this season, and has only been given one League start in 7 amidst our attacking woes.

Given more slack? I don’t see that. Given more starts? Maybe but this season they’ve played a relatively similar amount of minutes (AA/JR) and as you say, neither have directly contributed in stats.

However - just harking back to yesterday, how many goals was JR directly involved in? Who laid it out wide for Lenihan to cross? There is no way stats are picking up that, however I’d argue that the difference between the two at this point is “negligible”

You've always got major worries - I’m not sure the problem you have with Gallagher, he is has as much, if not more potential than anyone in my opinion. Written off before he even kicks a ball, as you say “didn’t want him back” even though he’s already scored more at this level for us, than Rothwell and Armstrong have put together.

Finally - impact subs, you can have your opinion on it - I go with the countless managers who’ve utilised that sort of tactic for decades, from the OGS’ to even Millwall bringing on a 6’6 centre forward when 2-0 down yesterday. I think Rothwell, Chapman - these are players that will have more “impact” late on against tired legs. Its always an option to use, be it to get back into a game or cement a result. ESPECIALLY when you’ve had someone stretching you down the flanks for 60/70 minutes before hand....!

One final thing, might not be you but many said the last few games of the season “dead rubbers” didn’t tell us anything, or could only be used to “paper over cracks”.... Therefore wouldn’t you be concerned it’s JR’s only consistent spell in over 40 apps?

1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

Different players entirely. Both however  showed yesterday, their final product is often lacking. For a midfielder or wide attacker, this aspect has to improve - and whilst you might have already made your mind up who should always start, it doesn’t make it a fact.

Given more slack? I don’t see that. Given more starts? Maybe but this season they’ve played a relatively similar amount of minutes (AA/JR) and as you say, neither have directly contributed in stats.

However - just harking back to yesterday, how many goals was JR directly involved in? Who laid it out wide for Lenihan to cross? There is no way stats are picking up that, however I’d argue that the difference between the two at this point is “negligible”

You've always got major worries - I’m not sure the problem you have with Gallagher, he is has as much, if not more potential than anyone in my opinion. Written off before he even kicks a ball, as you say “didn’t want him back” even though he’s already scored more at this level for us, than Rothwell and Armstrong have put together.

Finally - impact subs, you can have your opinion on it - I go with the countless managers who’ve utilised that sort of tactic for decades, from the OGS’ to even Millwall bringing on a 6’6 centre forward when 2-0 down yesterday. I think Rothwell, Chapman - these are players that will have more “impact” late on against tired legs. Its always an option to use, be it to get back into a game or cement a result. ESPECIALLY when you’ve had someone stretching you down the flanks for 60/70 minutes before hand....!

One final thing, might not be you but many said the last few games of the season “dead rubbers” didn’t tell us anything, or could only be used to “paper over cracks”.... Therefore wouldn’t you be concerned it’s JR’s only consistent spell in over 40 apps?

The "problem" I have with Gallagher is that I don't particularly rate him. I am also not convinced that Mowbray has yet figured out how to get the best out of him; he played as a wide forward predominantly in a 5-4-1 towards the end of Mowbrays last spell, and was far less productive than he had been under Coyle. (Before anyone tries to, I am not comparing Coyle to Mowbray favourably in general) I also dont like your assertion that he has been "written off" because it would not make any sense for me to put my preconceived ideas ahead of judging a player fairly. I don't particularly rate Bennett and dont think he is a top 6 Championship standard right back by any means, but I praised him after all 3 of the recent home games for very assured performances.

Back to Gallagher, as mainly a striker his goal record I think was just shy of one in four, so not too bad but not that good either. He then went on to have an even less productive loan spell at Birmingham and a year of not playing at all. I dont feel so far that hes offered a goal threat at all to our team. Hes quite ungainly and clumsy so I am not convinced he fits this supposed technical team Mowbray wants us to become, he is quite a powerful runner without being Rothwell/Armstrong like in terms of being rapid, he also should do slightly better in the air for me considering his obvious strength there.

In terms of Rothwell, I understand and appreciate that his run of games came in games that were less important, but it doesnt change the fact that he was excellent and it was harsh to then drop him back out at the start of this season. Armstrong has started 5 League games, Rothwell only one, and has played less than half the number of minutes that Armstrong has had so your statement is incorrect.

I appreciate the use of an impact sub, I am just not convinced that Rothwell in particular is best suited to that role. His performance level was very good when he did start regularly, and as I have said I felt it was unfair for him to be dropped back out this season. He should be put back into the team IMO, Armstrong hasnt contributed much at all over a lengthy period of time, so for me Rothwell should be given the chance to resume where he left off last season, with Armstrong not really doing much. Chapman also should certainly be in the squad, even if it is as an impact sub, he has made an impact for the U23s but it just seems a strange signing considering how he never makes a matchday 18.

May I ask, if you repeatedly feel the need to insist that you will always side with the opinions of professional managers over your average fan, and are reluctant to state contradictory opinions, of course such a stance is fair enough but what do you get from coming onto a platform such as this? Which is a place for fans to air their views, opinions and suggestions on what they would do.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Back to Gallagher, as mainly a striker his goal record I think was just shy of one in four, so not too bad but not that good either. He then went on to have an even less productive loan spell at Birmingham and a year of not playing at all. I dont feel so far that hes offered a goal threat at all to our team. Hes quite ungainly and clumsy so I am not convinced he fits this supposed technical team Mowbray wants us to become, he is quite a powerful runner without being Rothwell/Armstrong like in terms of being rapid, he also should do slightly better in the air for me considering his obvious strength there.

In terms of Rothwell, I understand and appreciate that his run of games came in games that were less important, but it doesnt change the fact that he was excellent and it was harsh to then drop him back out at the start of this season. Armstrong has started 5 League games, Rothwell only one, and has played less than half the number of minutes that Armstrong has had so your statement is incorrect.

I appreciate the use of an impact sub, I am just not convinced that Rothwell in particular is best suited to that role. His performance level was very good when he did start regularly, and as I have said I felt it was unfair for him to be dropped back out this season. He should be put back into the team IMO, Armstrong hasnt contributed much at all over a lengthy period of time, so for me Rothwell should be given the chance to resume where he left off last season, with Armstrong not really doing much. Chapman also should certainly be in the squad, even if it is as an impact sub, he has made an impact for the U23s but it just seems a strange signing considering how he never makes a matchday 18.

May I ask, if you repeatedly feel the need to insist that you will always side with the opinions of professional managers over your average fan, and are reluctant to state contradictory opinions, of course such a stance is fair enough but what do you get from coming onto a platform such as this? Which is a place for fans to air their views, opinions and suggestions on what they would do.

The Birmingham spell for Gallagher was a disaster for him and was never used right by Cotterill and his very long ball style. If he look how to get Gallagher used the best look at how he scores his goal. His header against Sheff Utd was excellent.

Either Rothwell or Armstrong has impressed me much from the start. Rothwell has been better as an impact sub this season. Currently I don't see Rothwell starting if we get 3 at the back. Cos of the form of Travis, Johnson and Downing who would be my 3 in centre midfield. with Dack and Gallagher up front. I don't see where Chapman fits into the match day squad currently. He has to keep playing well for the under 23's and he will get his chance at some point 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The Birmingham spell for Gallagher was a disaster for him and was never used right by Cotterill and his very long ball style. If he look how to get Gallagher used the best look at how he scores his goal. His header against Sheff Utd was excellent.

Either Rothwell or Armstrong has impressed me much from the start. Rothwell has been better as an impact sub this season. Currently I don't see Rothwell starting if we get 3 at the back. Cos of the form of Travis, Johnson and Downing who would be my 3 in centre midfield. with Dack and Gallagher up front. I don't see where Chapman fits into the match day squad currently. He has to keep playing well for the under 23's and he will get his chance at some point 

Surely then Mowbray is using him wrongly by playing him wide right. Yesterday he put in a couple of decent crosses from the right and we only had Armstrong in the box against two but centre halves. It should be the other way around which is exactly how we scored against Sheffield United.

I've said it many times before but Mowbray over complicates what are essentially simple situations.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Armstrong wound me up yesterday and seemed to drive Mowbray crazy 

Last few minutes they were all up in attack, ball came to him in our half with 3 or 4 of ours heading forward and he just hoofed it aimlessly, a real lazy move 

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

Surely then Mowbray is using him wrongly by playing him wide right. Yesterday he put in a couple of decent crosses from the right and we only had Armstrong in the box against two but centre halves. It should be the other way around which is exactly how we scored against Sheffield United.

I've said it many times before but Mowbray over complicates what are essentially simple situations.

I don't mind playing right if he needed to due to tactical reasons 

Yes you right about it should be have been the other but Gallagher right side with Armstrong left and Dack Central. 

The positive is that 5 at the back has brought the clean sheet we desparately needed.With 2 sitting midfielders in front of them,that makes 8 players in a somewhat defensive set-up(including goalie Walton). Only Williams cost a transfer fee amongst them. Unfortunately 3 of these players are loanees-Cunningham,Walton & Tosin. To quote Allardyces great mantra"Clean sheets,clean sheets, Clean sheets again I say clean sheets". Yes it does make life easier.

Meanwhile our £15 million strike trio of Armstrong,Gallagher & Brereton continues to underwhelm. Shouldnt Graham be starting at least the home games when he is far and away our best striker ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher in our team leads to us playing a long ball style! When Mowbray wanted to play it out from the back, he dropped Gallagher for the first time. His style involved trying to repeatedly win headers. I do have my doubts that you watched him regularly enough at Birmingham to make such a judgement, but lets not make out that playing Gallagher is at odds with playing direct football.

And now onto this myth that Rothwell "hasnt impressed much from the start." Its total bollocks. He started 8 of the last 9 games last season, including the last 7, and was very impressive STARTING games. If anything, you could argue that he struggled before this run of games to really stamp his authority playing little cameos at the end of games prior. He clearly impressed you because you predicted that he would be our player of the season this season. He was one of the real exciting points as we ended the season and looked towards this. His reward? 1 start out of 7 at the start of this season. Baring in mind that Rothwell hasnt impressed you much from the start, and baring in mind he was a unanimous success in his run of starts last season, and yourself was amongst those praising him, it is the sole appearance of the Fulham game where you have now altered your mindset to suggest that he doesnt impress you from the start?

You are just using myths and fiction to do anything in your power to justify that every single action and decision that Mowbray does is the correct one.

In terms of favouritism, Armstrong was pretty poor last season, he had one superb month but very few good games and very little in the way of goal contribution last season. Talent/attributes to work with, but not putting them together successfully often enough. In his last 13 starts and only 3 sub appearances last season, he contributed one goal against Bolton and no assists in the League. Add this season in, and its consecutively, 18 starts and 5 sub appearances, 1 goal, no assists. Rothwell ended the season far better, so is it fair that Rothwell is given only one start and is having to make do with small cameos, when Armstrong is given chance after chance with nothing back? And is it really that risky to give Chapman even one or two chances, even cameos, when Armstrong is regularly starting games, without scoring or assisting, and as shown against West Brom, slacking off defensively?

Who would you rather bring on if we needed a goal from the bench, Chapman or Buckley?

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

The positive is that 5 at the back has brought the clean sheet we desparately needed.With 2 sitting midfielders in front of them,that makes 8 players in a somewhat defensive set-up(including goalie Walton). Only Williams cost a transfer fee amongst them. Unfortunately 3 of these players are loanees-Cunningham,Walton & Tosin. To quote Allardyces great mantra"Clean sheets,clean sheets, Clean sheets again I say clean sheets". Yes it does make life easier.

Meanwhile our £15 million strike trio of Armstrong,Gallagher & Brereton continues to underwhelm. Shouldnt Graham be starting at least the home games when he is far and away our best striker ?

Also factor in the quality of the sitting mids has improved which makes a difference imo.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher in our team leads to us playing a long ball style! When Mowbray wanted to play it out from the back, he dropped Gallagher for the first time. His style involved trying to repeatedly win headers. I do have my doubts that you watched him regularly enough at Birmingham to make such a judgement, but lets not make out that playing Gallagher is at odds with playing direct football.

And now onto this myth that Rothwell "hasnt impressed much from the start." Its total bollocks. He started 8 of the last 9 games last season, including the last 7, and was very impressive STARTING games. If anything, you could argue that he struggled before this run of games to really stamp his authority playing little cameos at the end of games prior. He clearly impressed you because you predicted that he would be our player of the season this season. He was one of the real exciting points as we ended the season and looked towards this. His reward? 1 start out of 7 at the start of this season. Baring in mind that Rothwell hasnt impressed you much from the start, and baring in mind he was a unanimous success in his run of starts last season, and yourself was amongst those praising him, it is the sole appearance of the Fulham game where you have now altered your mindset to suggest that he doesnt impress you from the start?

You are just using myths and fiction to do anything in your power to justify that every single action and decision that Mowbray does is the correct one.

In terms of favouritism, Armstrong was pretty poor last season, he had one superb month but very few good games and very little in the way of goal contribution last season. Talent/attributes to work with, but not putting them together successfully often enough. In his last 13 starts and only 3 sub appearances last season, he contributed one goal against Bolton and no assists in the League. Add this season in, and its consecutively, 18 starts and 5 sub appearances, 1 goal, no assists. Rothwell ended the season far better, so is it fair that Rothwell is given only one start and is having to make do with small cameos, when Armstrong is given chance after chance with nothing back? And is it really that risky to give Chapman even one or two chances, even cameos, when Armstrong is regularly starting games, without scoring or assisting, and as shown against West Brom, slacking off defensively?

Who would you rather bring on if we needed a goal from the bench, Chapman or Buckley?

WE shouldn't be playing long ball to Gallagher but into his feet. 

Last season form is last season. His form in pre seasons in the game I seen wasn't impressed enough and Downing form so far this season has been good. I don't want Downing on the right wing either. Rothwell in the Fulham game wasn't impressive but neither was Armstrong who didn't make the use of the space he was allowed in the game. I am big Rothwell fan but for me his best position is the 10 role in a playmaker role or wide left, where as Armstrong best position is either wide right or up front. So for me they are players who play in different position. 

Yet again Chapman and Buckley are different player who play different positions/roles. 

49 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

I have to say I didn’t see an 8 men defending, backs to the wall performance yesterday. Four players from those defensive 8 combined to create and score the first goal, with three of them in the top 15 yards of the pitch. Vintage Allardyce...!

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The "problem" I have with Gallagher is that I don't particularly rate him. I am also not convinced that Mowbray has yet figured out how to get the best out of him; he played as a wide forward predominantly in a 5-4-1 towards the end of Mowbrays last spell, and was far less productive than he had been under Coyle. (Before anyone tries to, I am not comparing Coyle to Mowbray favourably in general) I also dont like your assertion that he has been "written off" because it would not make any sense for me to put my preconceived ideas ahead of judging a player fairly. I don't particularly rate Bennett and dont think he is a top 6 Championship standard right back by any means, but I praised him after all 3 of the recent home games for very assured performances.

Would you expect any young player to be the finished article? Would I expect TM or any manager to be completely cemented in their mindset for a players use?

Look at our defence yesterday; One converted defensive midfielder, one ageing wide player, two loans and one converted left back for £250,000, whom many would’ve been glad to see go, incidentally now looks as good a CB we have and scored a fantastic goal yesterday!

There’s always scope for improvement, but considering that we’re in the second tier, and that we certainly aren’t top wage spenders either, I’ll always lean towards disagreeing with the close mindedness, the critique. In this case, of Gally, a lad more established and “successful” in the championship than all our young attackers bar Dack. The same applies to AA, BB, JR etc.

“Top 6 quality” in a league where the top teams have 50/60m turnover vs the bottom teams paltry 5m sponsorship and low attendance, even the much maligned 13m wouldn’t buy you many guaranteed “top quality players”..

Hence why I wouldn’t expect anyone or TM to be 100% certain about what the lads we have can bring to the game. Gallagher for example, could’ve easily given away a penalty towards the end, Yet there is feasible rationale for seeing him as useful in our box, as well as the oppositions.

Thus - I see criticism and think “why so quick to judge?

The final paragraph is just you wishing everybody on this website had the same inclination- to cathartically moan about Blackburn Rovers.

Thankfully, those that see BRFCS.COM as a dumping ground for their problems with football, are more the minority these days. Balance is key for me, and unfortunately - in my view, you and others have no scope for such!