BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Sam Gallagher is now 24 so is hardly still a "young player" - Raheem Sterling is the same age and now the best English footballer so it is reasonable to expect Gallagher to be the finished article

Massively disagree. Nobody is a finished article at 24, and comparing him with the best current England international is rather pointless imo 

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Only the Manager can explain why that is.

Manager(s) you must surely mean since Coyle signed him, and he played a full season (also Player of season) as a full back.

Hindsight is 2020, if you want to criticise TM for not doing this sooner, crack on.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Manager(s) you must surely mean since Coyle signed him, and he played a full season (also Player of season) as a full back.

Hindsight is 2020, if you want to criticise TM for not doing this sooner, crack on.

He sees them in training everyday. Trying out various players in different positions should be par for the course in full scale practice matches. How else do they get an understanding of the pluses and minuses of playing in those positions ?

• Backroom

Yet for 3 seasons he’s predominantly played full back till recently.

Unfortunately for us. Although in this instance Bristol City are to blame as they were the ones who started the experiment - we just took the ball and ran/stumbled with it. 

6 hours ago, Hasta said:

Yep.

Did any pleyer not receive support at the ground yesterday? Of course they did.

What people mean when they say you should 'support' a player is that if you have a negative view on that player you either need to keep quiet or lie whilst on a messageboard. That's what they class as 'support'.

You don’t have to lie necessarily. You just have to offer justification so as to agree with the manager.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Sam Gallagher is now 24 so is hardly still a "young player" - Raheem Sterling is the same age and now the best English footballer so it is reasonable to expect Gallagher to be the finished article

24 is a mere child by Mowbray’s measure!

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He sees them in training everyday. Trying out various players in different positions should be par for the course in full scale practice matches. How else do they get an understanding of the pluses and minuses of playing in those positions ?

Like comparing pre-season, the only real moniker you’ve got is a league game.

DW always looked a wide CB to me too - playing him against Doncaster as a WB was as foolish as a decision as TM has ever made, yet its not simply putting him in a role that makes a player.

Surely even the most staunchest anti-TM rovers fan has to accept he’s made Williams a better player.

Just now, DE. said:

Unfortunately for us. Although in this instance Bristol City are to blame as they were the ones who started the experiment - we just took the ball and ran/stumbled with it. 

Players evolve. Sometimes it’s confidence, other times it’s experience, plus many other factors.

I was one of many completely convinced our lack of defensive recruits, plus swapping Raya for a loan - would mean chaos. 4 out of 5 clean sheets in last 5 league games...

Would you expect any young player to be the finished article? Would I expect TM or any manager to be completely cemented in their mindset for a players use?

Look at our defence yesterday; One converted defensive midfielder, one ageing wide player, two loans and one converted left back for £250,000, whom many would’ve been glad to see go, incidentally now looks as good a CB we have and scored a fantastic goal yesterday!

There’s always scope for improvement, but considering that we’re in the second tier, and that we certainly aren’t top wage spenders either, I’ll always lean towards disagreeing with the close mindedness, the critique. In this case, of Gally, a lad more established and “successful” in the championship than all our young attackers bar Dack. The same applies to AA, BB, JR etc.

“Top 6 quality” in a league where the top teams have 50/60m turnover vs the bottom teams paltry 5m sponsorship and low attendance, even the much maligned 13m wouldn’t buy you many guaranteed “top quality players”..

Hence why I wouldn’t expect anyone or TM to be 100% certain about what the lads we have can bring to the game. Gallagher for example, could’ve easily given away a penalty towards the end, Yet there is feasible rationale for seeing him as useful in our box, as well as the oppositions.

Thus - I see criticism and think “why so quick to judge?

The final paragraph is just you wishing everybody on this website had the same inclination- to cathartically moan about Blackburn Rovers.

Thankfully, those that see BRFCS.COM as a dumping ground for their problems with football, are more the minority these days. Balance is key for me, and unfortunately - in my view, you and others have no scope for such! 

Youve taken the debate away from me suggesting that Armstrong has had more than his fair share of chances, and hasnt performed effectively enough to warrant more before giving Chapman or more obviously Rothwell starts especially on the back of his form last season. I never said that they should be the finished article but I still am fully entitled to praise or criticise their performances in terms of continued selection.

You are so insistent on making people seem like a pack of moaners that you miss evidence that goes against this. This is why your posts often seem to have an element of wind up in them. I praised the performances yesterday of Walton, the back 3, Dack, Downing, the wing backs and Rothwell. In the debate, you have been far more critical of Rothwell than me, as i have been over Armstrong with more evidence IMO.

Its funny how different people see different things. I try and be balanced, I am very happy with our improved defensive performances, whereas I am worried at our lack of attacking threat despite spending a decent sum. Whereas you are either positive or understanding of why Mowbray has done something even if it hasnt worked, and keen to justify it.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Players evolve. Sometimes it’s confidence, other times it’s experience, plus many other factors.

I was one of many completely convinced our lack of defensive recruits, plus swapping Raya for a loan - would mean chaos. 4 out of 5 clean sheets in last 5 league games...

Derrick never evolved into a good left back, if anything he got worse over time. Thank goodness for injuries as otherwise we may never have seen what he really has in his locker.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Youve taken the debate away from me suggesting that Armstrong has had more than his fair share of chances, and hasnt performed effectively enough to warrant more before giving Chapman or more obviously Rothwell starts especially on the back of his form last season. I never said that they should be the finished article but I still am fully entitled to praise or criticise their performances in terms of continued selection.

You are so insistent on making people seem like a pack of moaners that you miss evidence that goes against this. This is why your posts often seem to have an element of wind up in them. I praised the performances yesterday of Walton, the back 3, Dack, Downing, the wing backs and Rothwell. In the debate, you have been far more critical of Rothwell than me, as i have been over Armstrong with more evidence IMO.

Its funny how different people see different things. I try and be balanced, I am very happy with our improved defensive performances, whereas I am worried at our lack of attacking threat despite spending a decent sum. Whereas you are either positive or understanding of why Mowbray has done something even if it hasnt worked, and keen to justify it.

You say you try to be balanced but you use shocking, poor and abject criticism consistently.

For example - the performances I’d describe as “shockingly poor” down the years are generally saved for the Murphy’s or the Duffy two OGs + a red. It may simply be down to different use of semantics, but I find it hyper critical.

The AA part was merely giving some extra aspect that the “WTF is AA doing instead of Rothwell” argument, which had become the main criticism in this thread;

As I said, I don’t think they’re far from each other for impact. I think they have different pro’s/con’s, I think they’re completely different in style/position - so I don’t buy into something someone described as “fact not opinion!”

Just now, DE. said:

Derrick never evolved into a good left back, if anything he got worse over time. Thank goodness for injuries as otherwise we may never have seen what he really has in his locker.

He was bought/used and POTS in the relegation year as a LB

Anyone whom reckons they predicted him being first choice centre-back on merit is lying in my humble opinion.

Edited by Harry The Bass

• Backroom

He was bought/used and POTS in the relegation year as a LB

Anyone whom reckons they predicted him being first choice centre-back on merit is lying in my humble opinion.

I can't remember a single thing Williams did that season without googling first so can't say that award means a great deal to me. I remember Marcus Olsson winning it one year and his highlight package was hilariously underwhelming. Imagine it was similar in 16/17.

Not sure what the second point is referencing as I haven't brought it up.

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Williams has seized his chance and looks very comfortable at CB. Moving him across has enabled us to get another LB in the shape of Cunningham who us a massive upgrade on Bell. For all our talk of defensive worries at the start of the season. It's not looking to bad at tbe moment

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

I can't remember a single thing Williams did that season without googling first so can't say that award means a great deal to me. I remember Marcus Olsson winning it one year and his highlight package was hilariously underwhelming. Imagine it was similar in 16/17.

Not sure what the second point is referencing as I haven't brought it up.

No but you do insinuate regularly that positives are “stumbled” upon, hence why I’m trying to point out perhaps the worry over the summer overlooked someone at the club deciding DW might save us a fair few million as a CB.

3 hours ago, skous18 said:

“He has some wonderful attributes and the job of myself and the coaching staff is to find the best position to realise Joe Rothwell’s assets.”

please do your job then..

Basically----we signed him but we don't know where to play him. 

Like I said months ago, TM collects players and then tries to accomodate them somehow.

• Like 2

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/september/tony-on-rothwell-influence/

Got to play him for him to score goals and create chances, genius. It's not like Adam Armstrong is smashing them in is it? Same goes for a few others too. I really don't get this fella. You've already wasted him for a full season and you still don't know where you want to play him? What is he going on about? I ask myself that question at least twice a week... Talks absolute bollocks. 

• Like 3

Danny's the latest to fall in the old manager's dementia. Rothwell looked good with Dack on the little I saw on t.v. at the back end of the season. Not a proper fan though sitting 209 miles away. Wish we could get decent owners and a competent manager though. Fed up with being pessimistic and having happy go-lucky Luton fans around me. Remember the days? Shearer and Ripley?

R

Better late than never. Rovers not their best performance especially the first half, but a cracking goal by Old Del made up for the dull 45.  2nd half was much better, and we showed more creativity which could have led to more goals but we had to settle for just the two.  Match reaction, words from the gaffa and more, 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, philipl said:

The Williams strike rightly earns the plaudits but the second goal deserves acclaim too.

The way we retained possession plugging away for the vulnerability and Sack's finish was excellent. Dack struck from a tight angle and could easily have skied it at full stretch.

Hopefully that’s the start of Dack on s confidence streak. Goal in the bag etc

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Covering injuries is a recurring theme with Mowbray’s few player-positional successes.

I guess necessity is the mother of reinvention. :rolleyes: 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

No but you do insinuate regularly that positives are “stumbled” upon, hence why I’m trying to point out perhaps the worry over the summer overlooked someone at the club deciding DW might save us a fair few million as a CB.

I see no evidence of the second part being true, so yes, I'd say a lot of our positives are stumbled upon rather than well thought out plans. I've outright stated it many times, I don't need to insinuate. 

If you think differently then OK, coincidence is a genuine concept too so it's feasible.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Gary C said:

Williams has seized his chance and looks very comfortable at CB. Moving him across has enabled us to get another LB in the shape of Cunningham who us a massive upgrade on Bell. For all our talk of defensive worries at the start of the season. It's not looking to bad at tbe moment

LB is the position now that we need to be looking at. Cunningham is a great player but not ours, and if he got injured then we're back to Bell/Williams as our LB choices which we already know are nowhere near good enough. 

RB is also a concern but with Nyambe and JRC as competition for Bennett (sigh) I would say that area is better stocked for now. 

Totally agree.  Hopefully Cunningham will become a permanent signing in January. Still hope for further defensive reinforcements in January however Mowbray has only brought in Bell and Cunningham as defenders in his time if im right. So the likelihood isnt high