BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, K-Hod said:

Think you’re confusing me with someone else, I’m glad it’s happened, as I said.

My point is, I’m not convinced Mowbray ever intended for our first choice centre back pairing to be Lenihan and Williams.

If he did, fair play, but I certainly don’t recall him mentioning it. 

By that sentence I meant anyone trying to peddle that line, not you individually

Edited by Dreams of 1995

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

By that sentence I meant anyone trying to peddle that line, not you individually

When you say "peddling that line" do you mean "stating their opinion"?

Don't forget to accuse him of "having an agenda" while you're at it.

11 hours ago, DE. said:

Some managers have a fantastic impact. Sam Allardyce is a prime example. Further up the pyramid you can use the likes of Pep and Mourinho as examples of managers who come in and have a strong impact on the teams they take charge of. 

You could have mentioned Neil Warnock as another example. Owners dumped him at the last minute to get Coyle because he was cheaper. Says all we need to know about Venkys who have supposedly "learned from their mistakes".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Absolutely fucking nonsense and most of you know it but you are desperately keeping hold of the argument he has done no right over the past 12 months. Like it or not Mowbray picks the team and when he gets it wrong you are all the first ones to jump on him; gets it right and its a stroke of luck. Give over.

If you think conceding 1.5 goals per game (if you go back 12 months) and then spunking 12m on bog standard forwards is good management ,then carry on.  Some of us happen to think the defence needs properly sorting in order to push for play offs.  We don’t need the 2 big lumps, we already have chapman, Rothwell and what’s happened to butterworth? Mowbray didn’t sort the defence because he’d be under pressure to get promoted and right now he’s coasting and we are all playing to his tune.......I’d sack him and get a younger more energetic coach in who has ambition.  The nobbers seem to have got one.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 47er said:

You could have mentioned Neil Warnock as another example. Owners dumped him at the last minute to get Coyle because he was cheaper. Says all we need to know about Venkys who have supposedly "learned from their mistakes".

Serious question.

Has it been established as a matter of fact the reason for Coyle over Warnock was cost?

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Serious question.

Has it been established as a matter of fact the reason for Coyle over Warnock was cost?

I vaguely remember Warnock wanting to be paid to fly in every week from Cornwall. Whereas Coyle lives in Langho.

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Serious question.

At the time, the only person who could be held accountable to answer was Mike Cheston.

First answer was that Coyle was the only one who fit the criteria

Pressed about the criteria, the answer was that he was on holiday and didn't hire Coyle (he was indeed on holiday)..

Asked who did hire Coyle, the answer was that he didn't know. (unbelievable?)

In another meeting, Coyle said that he was hired by Bala.

The assumption was made by many that it was cost. It has never been established as fact to my knowledge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I vaguely remember Warnock wanting to be paid to fly in every week from Cornwall. Whereas Coyle lives in Langho.

You’re quite right that Warnock has property in Cornwall. He has 2 properties here in Looe one of which is directly across the road from me. It is rented out to a dear old lady in her 90’s.

It must have been in 2016 when a rumour was started linking him with the Rovers job. 

He and his wife paid a surprise visit to see the old lady and when they departed after half an hour I saw my chance to speak to her about whether Warnock had said anything about coming to Ewood.

She has an interest in his career and she told me that he had said the only job he wanted was the Cardiff job. His “dream job” he said. I pressed her as to any interest in Rovers from him but he was adamant it was Cardiff. I still kick myself for not using this insider knowledge at The bookies!

Warnock employs a handyman who lives in Looe who also does jobs for me but he is very difficult to get hold of as he’s often driving up to Cardiff to work on the Warnock home there.

I have my doubts that Warnock was interested in the Rovers job and he was more than happy to relocate to Cardiff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

At the time, the only person who could be held accountable to answer was Mike Cheston.

First answer was that Coyle was the only one who fit the criteria

Pressed about the criteria, the answer was that he was on holiday and didn't hire Coyle (he was indeed on holiday)..

Asked who did hire Coyle, the answer was that he didn't know. (unbelievable?)

In another meeting, Coyle said that he was hired by Bala.

The assumption was made by many that it was cost. It has never been established as fact to my knowledge.

I was told by someone who was better placed to know that ALL appointments are made away from here and the people on the suits at Ewood only get told the day before someone is coming and who it is. The word is Mowbray came via the exact same scenario.

I also believe that Coyle offered his services cheap although no idea if he was undercutting anyone purposely or he was just offering himself cheap in blind hope of the job. Also he was just taken on to basically oversee the game day and day to day stuff of the first team and had no input into anything else unlike the hands on of TM and some others. 

Just my personal hunch i reckon Pasha is the man who sorts all this and presents it to the Vs and he might be the one who has some friends who he likes to keep involved.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

You’re quite right that Warnock has property in Cornwall. He has 2 properties here in Looe one of which is directly across the road from me. It is rented out to a dear old lady in her 90’s.

It must have been in 2016 when a rumour was started linking him with the Rovers job. 

He and his wife paid a surprise visit to see the old lady and when they departed after half an hour I saw my chance to speak to her about whether Warnock had said anything about coming to Ewood.

She has an interest in his career and she told me that he had said the only job he wanted was the Cardiff job. His “dream job” he said. I pressed her as to any interest in Rovers from him but he was adamant it was Cardiff. I still kick myself for not using this insider knowledge at The bookies!

Warnock employs a handyman who lives in Looe who also does jobs for me but he is very difficult to get hold of as he’s often driving up to Cardiff to work on the Warnock home there.

I have my doubts that Warnock was interested in the Rovers job and he was more than happy to relocate to Cardiff.

I'd say he probably was touted for it then asked for a kings ransom and was told he'd get it so he would've taken the job then when push came to shove it was more venky induced hot air. Didn't Holloway get similar and Lambert who actually fell for it and took the job ?

I could certainly see him wanting them to make it worth his while in more ways than one but regardless of that he would have been a massive upgrade on clownpants.

5 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I believe he also has land near Helston which he rents out.

10 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Not quite horse’s mouth but certainly from the stable boy. Muddies the received wisdom on here that he was all set to sign for us, got mysteriously deselected and then took Cardiff as a consolation prize. 

Putting myself in his shoes: Venkys or Tan? Even Mowbray was getting calls from people in the game saying don’t take the Blackburn job. Warnock was at best stringing us along asking ridiculous money but had no intention of coming IMO.

17 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I believe he also has land near Helston which he rents out.

Yes he does. He is also Lord of the Manor in a hamlet near Liskeard I believe.

As he’s retiring at the end of the season it will be interesting to see where he settles down.

Followed by the inevitable autobiography which might shed some light on this Rovers rumour?

23 hours ago, tomphil said:

I also believe that Coyle offered his services cheap although no idea if he was undercutting anyone purposely or he was just offering himself cheap in blind hope of the job. Also he was just taken on to basically oversee the game day and day to day stuff of the first team and had no input into anything else unlike the hands on of TM and some others.

I'm relieved to read that; Coyle would have been delusional if he'd have expected a salary over the odds at Ewood.

I remember, erm, 'discussing' him with one of the Wigan stewards during our game there 3[?] seasons ago. The steward said it was a toss-up as to whether Coyle or Margaret Thatcher had done more damage to the north west of England!

• Like 4

Just now, m1st said:

I'm relieved to read that; Coyle would have been delusional if he'd have expected a salary over the odds at Ewood.

I remember, erm, 'discussing' him with one of the Wigan stewards during our game there 3[?] seasons ago. The steward said it was a toss-up as to whether Coyle or Margaret Thatcher had done more damage to the north west of England!

Awful manager if ever anyone got by winging it it is him i'm amazed he never ended up at Blackpool.

Where is the goon now i wonder ?

Just now, tomphil said:

Awful manager if ever anyone got by winging it it is him i'm amazed he never ended up at Blackpool.

Where is the goon now i wonder ?

He pops up from time to time on Radio 5 on weekday evenings as a 'pundit' ? - yeah, right!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Not quite horse’s mouth but certainly from the stable boy. Muddies the received wisdom on here that he was all set to sign for us, got mysteriously deselected and then took Cardiff as a consolation prize. 

Putting myself in his shoes: Venkys or Tan? Even Mowbray was getting calls from people in the game saying don’t take the Blackburn job. Warnock was at best stringing us along asking ridiculous money but had no intention of coming IMO.

From someone, who gave the horse a loaf of bread.

" Ronnie Jepson said that Colin and himself had been offered the Blackburn roles. They were planning how they would manage things around the job, when they were told by phone that the offer had been withdrawn."

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Ronnie Jepson drinks in The Swan With Two Necks at Pendleton pretty regularly when he’s local.

My Dad also played golf with him at a charity do, he wasn’t shy corroborating that he had been offered the job then it was withdrawn....

Just now, K-Hod said:

Ronnie Jepson drinks in The Swan With Two Necks at Pendleton pretty regularly when he’s local.

My Dad also played golf with him at a charity do, he wasn’t shy corroborating that he had been offered the job then it was withdrawn....

Yes, it was that same pub, where he is supposed to have said it.