BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

DG off to Australia?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

On the evidence of Monday's under 23 match I don't think he'll switch off. His work rate and effort was excellent after he volunteered to play. I also heard him speaking to some of the young players, almost coaching them. In my opinion he's still a fundamental part of the best hope we have of getting results. The new Mowbray way isn't working and Gallagher can't be the focal point of our attacks like Graham is. If Mowbray can't see that he's in the wrong job.

Couldn't agree more.  We were saying on Monday night, watching Graham, that he really is a top professional.  Last few minutes and we are 2-0 up and he was still chasing back to win the ball.  He is the perfect role model for youngsters on how a professional conducts himself.  At the moment Gallagher hasn't got the strength or know-how to play the Graham role.  I think there is a player in Gallagher but it's a long way from being fully developed for the task of leading the line.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Preben said:

I'd rather we get him but it would give TM an opportunity to show his investment in strikers was well placed

Sadly it isn't well placed at all. Samuel, Gally, Bereton, all don't seem to be good value for money. Only Armstrong, who hasn't been amazing, has come anywhere near value for money, much less good business.

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Couldn't agree more.  We were saying on Monday night, watching Graham, that he really is a top professional.  Last few minutes and we are 2-0 up and he was still chasing back to win the ball.  He is the perfect role model for youngsters on how a professional conducts himself.  At the moment Gallagher hasn't got the strength or know-how to play the Graham role.  I think there is a player in Gallagher but it's a long way from being fully developed for the task of leading the line.

Which begs the question why we splashed out £5 million on him. 

• Backroom

We aren't really playing a new system though. Not yet, anyway. The only difference is more passing along the backline and occasionally a hoof to the right as opposed to solely down the centre. Still a long way to go before we're playing a style that doesn't suit a DG type target man, imo.

• Like 1

I think his answer to the defensive issues was to buy a hard working big lad to run the right side channel and hit early whilst holding the ball longer along the back 4 / midfield.

Shoring the whole side up in other words adding in a bit of much needed muscle in the form of Johnson in the middle as well. Obviously it's proving detrimental to the bits of football and quick countering we did play.

Tomorrow will be very interesting and imo it's back to hoping our main men just pull something out the bag individually or Millwall have a bad day.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
9 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think his answer to the defensive issues was to buy a hard working big lad to run the right side channel and hit early whilst holding the ball longer along the back 4 / midfield.

But we started the season with Gallagher up top and Armstrong/Rothwell on the right, so if that is his answer then he seems to have come up with it ad hoc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Shoring the whole side up in other words adding in a bit of much needed muscle in the form of Johnson in the middle as well. Obviously it's proving detrimental to the bits of football and quick countering we did play.

Tomorrow will be very interesting and imo it's back to hoping our main men just pull something out the bag individually or Millwall have a bad day.

Shoring the whole side up would have involved bringing in more than two defenders.

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Shoring the whole side up would have involved bringing in more than two defenders.

THat's what it needed but to avoid that he's slightly altered the tactics it was clear he intended to start the season with the same old defence with a bit of back up instead of buying some quality for there. Think he was just looking to tighten things up in front of them and hope for the best but it quickly became apparent it was same old same old so out went Charlie.

AS DE says above it's ad hoc again now instead of following a plan.

49 minutes ago, DE. said:

But we started the season with Gallagher up top and Armstrong/Rothwell on the right, so if that is his answer then he seems to have come up with it ad hoc.

Gallagher - wide right or up top,  Armstrong same as but left sided.  These are the things that appeal to him it seems actual goal threat and creativity come second.

Every striker he's signed he's done the same with non of them carry much goal threat or create much but they can all be moved about the park in his eyes.  Samuel, AA, BB, Gallagher and that's to the tune of about 16 million invested all in.

Ad hoc is very much the way !