BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tosin

On 08/12/2019 at 11:21, Parsonblue said:

79!!!  I remember him breaking into the team and replacing one of my all-time favourites in Matt Woods.  What a player Mike England was - a real class act.  I was on the Turf that day when he scored a hat-trick playing at centre-forward.  I also seem to remember him scoring an own goal - I think it was against Forest - from just inside his own half when a pass back to Fred Else went horribly wrong!  Agree with you.  England was the best centre-half I've seen at Ewood.

Tosin is very much in the England mould as a ball-playing centre-half who has that touch of creativity about his passing.  More importantly, he's also looks an excellent defender.

Incredible how many outstanding players we've seen at Ewood in our lifetime.  Not bad for a small town club tucked away in East Lancashire.

Spot on, Parson. But there ought to be a condition of membership on here preventing members reminding other members how old we, and our heroes from the late 50s/early 60s, now are!

If I'm 73, I suppose Mike England must be 79. I don't - obvs. - know about him; but I still have the mentality of a fan who was 18/19 which was when he was in his pomp with us.

I just hope the younger ones on here are still raving about Tosin in about 2075!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2019 at 10:44, 47er said:

Yep, you'd have to go back as far as Mike England. Left us in 1966, so 53 years ago.

Best centre-half I have ever seen and scored a hat-trick at the Turd!

79 last weekend.

Scorers in that 4-1 win at Turf Moor Oct 9th 1965 - England, Harrison, McEvoy, Douglas. So no hat trick I'm afraid. Having said that definitely the best centre half I've ever seen. If Tosin turns out to be half as good he'll be a world beater.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I can’t work out if Williams was just rusty or because we’ve quickly got used to Tosin’s quality that was just a standard performance from a lower league clogger.

Think it's probably a bit of both, although Del's performances earlier in the season were definitely better than last night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I can’t work out if Williams was just rusty or because we’ve quickly got used to Tosin’s quality that was just a standard performance from a lower league clogger.

Bit of both ya. A bit of rust is to be expected after being out for 6 games. It's a real pity that Tosin got injured before the game. Can only think we win that if he plays. The concern is we are so reliant on a loanee. Great signing, but it probably suggests we are in a bit of a false position. 

Why is it our centre halves all seem to be injury prone ? Tosin seems to play two, miss two, and both of the Lenihan and Williams miss games regularly. It's not like the game is as rough and tumble as it used to be for centre halves these days is it ? How these lads would have gone on against Fash the Bash or Andy Blockhead I shudder to think. Even Mike England didn't like playing against Blockhead.  A pal of mine once said " If Lochhead was a boxer he'd be wearing a glove on his head ". Only time I saw Mike lose it completely was against Lochead at the Dingle Dome.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why is it our centre halves all seem to be injury prone ? Tosin seems to play two, miss two, and both of the Lenihan and Williams miss games regularly. It's not like the game is as rough and tumble as it used to be for centre halves these days is it ? How these lads would have gone on against Fash the Bash or Andy Blockhead I shudder to think. Even Mike England didn't like playing against Blockhead.  A pal of mine once said " If Lochhead was a boxer he'd be wearing a glove on his head ". Only time I saw Mike lose it completely was against Lochead at the Dingle Dome.

The pace and intensity of the modern game and its training methods is higher than it was 40 odd years ago. It makes for better athletes but increased susceptibility to niggles and injuries. Today’s players generally cover more ground than the oldies did. 

Just now, Amo said:

The pace and intensity of the modern game and its training methods is higher than it was 40 odd years ago. It makes for better athletes but increased susceptibility to niggles and injuries. Today’s players generally cover more ground than the oldies did. 

Even centre halves ? You could have fooled me.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bit of both ya. A bit of rust is to be expected after being out for 6 games. It's a real pity that Tosin got injured before the game. Can only think we win that if he plays. The concern is we are so reliant on a loanee. Great signing, but it probably suggests we are in a bit of a false position. 

I think we've got quite a job on in the summer assuming we don't get promoted tbh. New keeper needed as Walton is a loan, still needing at least two, maybe even three centre backs with Tosin going back, Mulgrew likely leaving (and not good enough anyway) and Del not being a long time answer even at back up imo. Left back needs addressing urgently if we don't do anything about it in January, we also have decisions to make on the likes of Brereton, Chapman and Rothwell. Graham surely will be gone and before last night I would have said Dack likely going too, but with his injury now who knows. Still going to be a lot to do if we don't do much in January. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I seem to recall Blockhead getting both Oldham’s goals in our 3-2 Boxing Day win there mentioned on the Seasonal thread. Pity McNamee has gone by then, that would’ve been a match-up to savour

Was he injured or just rested so as to give Del a run out ?  Strikes me as the type of thing TM would slip in in his crusade to keep footballers happy.

Either way it doesn't matter as long as he gets back in and remains first choice if he's playing well.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I seem to recall Blockhead getting both Oldham’s goals in our 3-2 Boxing Day win there mentioned on the Seasonal thread. Pity McNamee has gone by then, that would’ve been a match-up to savour

That would have been really interesting. I'd put money on only one of them seeing out the whole game.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We didn't miss him defensively. We miss his distribution, which is crazy when you're relying on your CBs to pick defence splitting passes.

It's dumfounding. Especially when we have so many 'midfielders'.

The team set up just seems all wrong. We have pace and supposedly at least a couple of players that are more than hoofball centre mid blockers....so......

:huh:

• Like 1

Last summer the defence should’ve been our first priority. Despite Mowbray’s assurances that “defenders are coming”, we landed two loanees, which has left us a couple of injuries away from last season’s backline.

We’ve blown £12m on two strikers who have done eff all. I’d rather we’d signed a Kuqi or Dickov up front and put the money into a couple of centre-halves and a left-back. They couldn’t have contributed less than Gallagher and Brereton have done. Unbelievably, the former auditioned here and we STILL decided to buy him!

• Like 1