Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rochdale_rover

Start of the season

Recommended Posts

We're 11th so have had a decent start. If we had a good start we would be higher, if we had a bad start we'd be lower. Pretty average really - as Sparks says midtable mediocracy all the way under TM. 

The first 11 looks a bit stronger than last year as father time hasn't caught up with Graham. And bar a couple of horror shows the defence looks more stable. Johnson looks a good addition as does Downing who offers something different. Gally when played up front is a better bet than Samuel or the hapless Bereton so we've improved there too. 

However it's not a great start as I feel whilst there is improvements we should be doing better. We really shouldn't have a right mid at right back, we would be better if Rothwell played, if players played in their.correct position, the selection tombola didn't come out and £15 mill onwards should see us have a lot more firepower than we do. For comparison the Norwich team that beat City cost £6.5 million... I also felt we played a few teams at a.good time - Fulham, Boro and arguably West Brom and perhaps.could have nabbed a couple more points then. 

I also feel we've kicked a few problems down the line Vs properly addressing them but that doesn't impact the start to this season. 

So to me a decent start but could be better. The good news is we can build on it. The good and bad news is that we could still be doing a lot better with doing a few obvious things right and aren't. So it's in our power to get better but I doubt we will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

We're 11th so have had a decent start. If we had a good start we would be higher, if we had a bad start we'd be lower. Pretty average really - as Sparks says midtable mediocracy all the way under TM. 

 

There is a topic somewhere on here from last season trotting out a few stats from Mowbray's reign.

His Rovers teams average 1.5 points per game. This season is 10 points from 7, slighter below 1.5 with small sample.

I don't expect much to change. I think Rovers will be better than last season but will finish outside the top 6 by a good margin.

I'm hoping that the first 2 games were an aberration though and Mowbray has found a winning formula.

As Tyrone said; anyone can win this league. I think Leeds and West Brom will be there or thereabouts for the top 2 come May.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2019 at 00:14, chaddyrovers said:

Top 6 by end of the season..dont get owt for being there now. 3 points off top 6 now after 7 games

Villa were 13th in Feb/March time ending up in 5th spot. 

 

We were 1 point off top 6 last January with the transfer window still open.

"Defenders are coming" dear me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

We were 1 point off top 6 last January with the transfer window still open.

"Defenders are coming" dear me.

4 clean sheets out of 5 league games. Continue in that form it'll do for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's the away form that will see us fall short of any top 6 aspirations.

I can still see us being taken apart far too easily away from home unfortunately, as shown at WBA, anyone who attacks us with any sort of pace will still score regularly past us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think it's the away form that will see us fall short of any top 6 aspirations.

I can still see us being taken apart far too easily away from home unfortunately, as shown at WBA, anyone who attacks us with any sort of pace will still score regularly past us.

Could well be right. Only thing I'd say at this point is that our away fixtures have been especially unkind, both who we've played and when we've played them. Not convinced that Fulham are going to be the real deal over 46 games, but playing a side with that attacking talent for their first home game was always going to be tricky. 

Next four away are Reading, QPR, Brum & PNE. If we're being cut open in these games, then we should be worrying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think it's the away form that will see us fall short of any top 6 aspirations.

I can still see us being taken apart far too easily away from home unfortunately, as shown at WBA, anyone who attacks us with any sort of pace will still score regularly past us.

I don't agree about our away form. So far this season we have played well away from home, just not got the full return we deserve. I think we may well have deserved to take a point at Fulham or WBA, we didn't so it may look like a bad start. To be honest I would be more worried about our results and performances at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

We were 1 point off top 6 last January with the transfer window still open.

"Defenders are coming" dear me.

last season is last season. Instead why you talk about this season and the fact that we have kept 4 clean sheets in last 5 games. 

instead of your cheap shots at Mowbray. We have made 3 signings in the defensive area in 2 defenders and keeper. Cunningham is a major plus at left, Walton has impressed and Tosin look better than Rodwell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

last season is last season. Instead why you talk about this season and the fact that we have kept 4 clean sheets in last 5 games. 

instead of your cheap shots at Mowbray. We have made 3 signings in the defensive area in 2 defenders and keeper. Cunningham is a major plus at left, Walton has impressed and Tosin look better than Rodwell. 

Yes, but all three are loans and we have to begin again in the summer. At this time we don't know if we will sign Cunningham and Walton permanently.

We certainly won't be signing Toisin.

Its strange how forwards are signed permanently, whether they are any good or not----and for big fees, whereas defenders are invariably a last-minute loan.

TM's priorities are wrong. Not how Burnley got up and stayed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2019 at 17:57, Mattyblue said:

Good a place as any. Official team picture.

Is that the lesser spotted Coar I see next to Waggott?

B081E126-89BA-429A-AA55-2317DA53865D.png

Is it a trick of photography, or do Armstrong's feet not touch the ground?! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Is it a trick of photography, or do Armstrong's feet not touch the ground?! 🤣

Never mind that, look at the size of Waggots hands? Get him in goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

last season is last season. Instead why you talk about this season and the fact that we have kept 4 clean sheets in last 5 games. 

instead of your cheap shots at Mowbray. We have made 3 signings in the defensive area in 2 defenders and keeper. Cunningham is a major plus at left, Walton has impressed and Tosin look better than Rodwell. 

I and others talk about last season because people have memories. If statements aren't delivered, people lose trust, that's the same in any walk of life. No cheap shot there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have made 3 signings in the defensive area in 2 defenders and keeper. Cunningham is a major plus at left, Walton has impressed and Tosin look better than Rodwell. 

3 decent signings yes, none of them will be here next season though, along with Dack and Graham probably moving on that's 5 players we need already for next season before we even look to strengthen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

3 decent signings yes, none of them will be here next season though, along with Dack and Graham probably moving on that's 5 players we need already for next season before we even look to strengthen.

Rovers have a pretty decent record of turning loans they want to keep into permanent signings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, philipl said:

Rovers have a pretty decent record of turning loans they want to keep into permanent signings.

 

I would agree pre Venky's. I can't recall too many loans who became permanent since they rocked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Never mind that, look at the size of Waggots hands? Get him in goal!

That's so he can carry all the extra pound coins from the walk on tax. 

He can than say Ive got the same revenue with a 1000 less fans and use his massive finger to do an Alan sugar style your fired to an unneeded cleaner saving a few more quid . He then high fives shebby and makes the only noise at ewood that afternoon 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I would agree pre Venky's. I can't recall too many loans who became permanent since they rocked up.

Gallagher, Chapman, Armstrong in last twelve months. Clearly didn't want Palmer. Nearly got Reed but we might have done better in getting Holtby. So Mowbray's record pretty impressive in this regard.

Cunningham is probably a certain bet if we want him. Walton will take some doing while Tosin will probably depend on getting promoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

3 decent signings yes, none of them will be here next season though, along with Dack and Graham probably moving on that's 5 players we need already for next season before we even look to strengthen.

Well who knows what will happen with Cunningham or Walton. Cant see either playing regular for their parent club. Do you? 

Where Dack going? No one came in for him during this summer after last season record. So where he going? 

5 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

I and others talk about last season because people have memories. If statements aren't delivered, people lose trust, that's the same in any walk of life. No cheap shot there.

But signings were signed. Might not be the ones we wanted or sign permanently as we would have like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well who knows what will happen with Cunningham or Walton. Cant see either playing regular for their parent club. Do you? 

Where Dack going? No one came in for him during this summer after last season record. So where he going? 

Cunningham could easily be back in the Cardiff side next season if they don't go back up, if they do then yes he could well be available. We don't pay transfer fees for defenders though, so that rules us out.

Brighton have already said they think Walton will be there number one next season, i think they will go down and can see a bigger club taking a punt on Ryan who is there current number one. Walton will have had two full seasons at this level and be ready to step in as there number one.

If Dack hits over 15 goals again at this level surely someone will test us with an offer? He'll only have 12 months left on his contract in the summer too, is he going to sign a new deal here if we're still plodding along in mid table? Can't see it.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Cunningham could easily be back in the Cardiff side next season if they don't go back up, if they do then yes he could well be available. We don't pay transfer fees for defenders though, so that rules us out.

Brighton have already said they think Walton will be there number one next season, i think they will go down and can see a bigger club taking a punt on Ryan who is there current number one. Walton will have had two full seasons at this level and be ready to step in as there number one.

If Dack hits over 15 goals again at this level surely someone will test us with an offer? He'll only have 12 months left on his contract in the summer too, is he going to sign a new deal here if we're still plodding along in mid table? Can't see it.

I will have a half glass of hemlock too kind sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a well over populated squad. It's a long while since we had that many players on a photo. Probably when we were last in the Prem. What it's all costing I shudder to think. There's at least half a dozen there that should have been either moved on or loaned out in the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a well over populated squad. It's a long while since we had that many players on a photo. Probably when we were last in the Prem. What it's all costing I shudder to think. There's at least half a dozen there that should have been either moved on or loaned out in the window.

Has that photo got some of the young lads in too from the U23s?

But yeah, lose Evans, Smallwood, Samuel, Chapman & Brereton straight away from that squad and I'm sure the wage bill would be a lot healthier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Has that photo got some of the young lads in too from the U23s?

But yeah, lose Evans, Smallwood, Samuel, Chapman & Brereton straight away from that squad and I'm sure the wage bill would be a lot healthier.

Yep, Hart and Gladwin are also still on the books. I can see Bell going if we could get our money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.