BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Lewis Holtby situation has been referenced in the Summer Transfer Window thread, but as we're no longer in that window, and these is a bit of an 'odd one out' I feel as though it deserves its own thread. Yesterday Holtby was on the move, catching a flight to who knows where.

1188327865_ScreenShot2019-09-16at14_36_33.png.b1eeacc294a190f57a10927038e6b82f.png

How does everyone feel about his potential arrival?

Hamburg fans actually petitioned to get the club to sign Holtby to a new deal. That can only be a good sign.

More than happy with this signing. I assume he can play anywhere along the front 3. If that means Gallagher can move inside and we have a front three, with two of them Dack and Holtby, I'd wager us against most defences.

Get him signed

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Would love him. If he's to start, who do you get rid of Johnson or Travis? Personally feel Travis will be the victim which will be a real shame.

I feel as though, considering Downing is the only real winger we have, we should stick to 5-4-1, a play Johnson, Travis, Dack and Holtby all through the middle, and wing-backs either side. 

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I feel as though, considering Downing is the only real winger we have, we should stick to 5-4-1, a play Johnson, Travis, Dack and Holtby all through the middle, and wing-backs either side. 

With his experience Tony will have him in the starting 11 sooner than people think. The idea of them 4 in the middle would be incredible. Maybe lacking a bit of pace but the experience is there.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

With his experience Tony will have him in the starting 11 sooner than people think. The idea of them 4 in the middle would be incredibly. Maybe lacking a bit of pace but the experience is there.

Yeah, something along these lines really.

rfcs.thumb.png.59f611995fbe815657f2d9f13026205d.png

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Can just imagine Rothwell's & Chapman's faces should this deal happen ?

Less so for Rothwell, but I'm a firm believer that Chapman is a victim of his ownsuppressionn. He has an awful attitude, the way he struts around at those Under 23's games, never passing the ball, selfish runs and sheer aggression towards opposition players and referees. He clearly doesn't have the right mental ability for this squad.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Less so for Rothwell, but I'm a firm believer that Chapman is a victim of his ownsuppressionn. He has an awful attitude, the way he struts around at those Under 23's games, never passing the ball, selfish runs and sheer aggression towards opposition players and referees. He clearly doesn't have the right mental ability for this squad.

Obviously you have far more knowledge of his under 23 games as I dont attend, but he regularly scores and assists so must be doing something right?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The balance of that team doesnt seem right. It is too similar to the team in the first half on Saturday which was imbalanced and didnt carry any real threat aside from a screamer. We wouldnt score enough goals with that team.

I feel we would, I think Saturday was a pretty poor display really, 5-back could and will work long term, I think Millwall was just poorly executed, but they were poor enough for it to work in our favour.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Obviously you have far more knowledge of his under 23 games as I dont attend, but he regularly scores and assists so must be doing something right?

He does, but he should. He's clearly a good talent, but the way he struts round at Leyland, he's just so arrogant with it, and is really selfish. Caused a massive surge in aggression vs Wolves and led to two red cards.

Holtby will be a real coup. His technical ability is very good, he prob would be the most technically gifted player at the club behind Dack. 

He’ll play in the middle alongside Johnson or Travis I’d imagine. Mowbray clearly wants a more technical player in central midfield to help us keep the ball better, hence why he played Buckley at the weekend. Holtby could well be the answer. 

7 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I feel we would, I think Saturday was a pretty poor display really, 5-back could and will work long term, I think Millwall was just poorly executed, but they were poor enough for it to work in our favour.

Whilst I am unconvinced by 5 at the back. And I dont think Williams and Lenihan are good enough on the ball. (not sure Walton thought so either hence him ushering them away a few times to hoof one to Armstrong)

But the main problem was the 5 in front, there was not enough cutting edge. When the wing backs were wide, there was never anyone in the box. There is no need for Johnson, Buckley, Downing AND Dack. Or in your example replace 2 for 2 other one paced central players. Need maybe an extra forward.

15 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Not always a bad thing. Remember Speedie ?

• Like 1

Torn on this. In isolation, he would be an excellent addition but who would drop out? I can only assume he'd take Armstrong's place and further push Rothwell down the pecking order as part of the supporting 3. Would this make Gallagher the central striker? Do we really need this? Money no object then the more the better but I'm guessing he'll command quite high wages. Can we afford him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

If he's going with 3 at the back on a regular basis, couldn't we line up with Holtby, Johnson & Travis as the midfield 3 with Dack in behind Gallagher?

And Rothwell handing in a transfer request. Downing sucking up a large wage to not start.

Sounds like a good player but I'm still amazed that midfield never seems to stop being our main recruitment priority.

• Like 1

Hopefully he’s brought in to be one of the two central midfielders rather than one of the three behind the striker - according to my (very limited) knowledge of him, he’s more of an 8 than a 10, and definitely not a winger. If we carry on with the 5-3-2 that we played on Saturday, he’ll be one of the 3, and there’ll be no place for Rothwell. Ideally, he’ll be able to play next to Travis or Johnson, and not just both.

• Like 1